News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

why is it that they don't allow this on google maps like they used too?  you used to be able to zoom in and see a ghost road that showed the future road, it was gray and dashed, I only see this occasionally now.  Open street map shows it now. interesting the Bloomington SR 45 exit will be turned into a diamond for some reason according to OSM.

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 09, 2015, 09:47:09 AM
why is it that they don't allow this on google maps like they used too?  you used to be able to zoom in and see a ghost road that showed the future road, it was gray and dashed, I only see this occasionally now.  Open street map shows it now. interesting the Bloomington SR 45 exit will be turned into a diamond for some reason according to OSM.

For some reason Google is completely hiding roads in "started" or "panned" status, while "closed" roads are now shown with the gray/dashed lines.  Google doesn't share the "why" with us.  This also can be a bit of a challenge when editing in mapmaker since it's hard to edit invisible lines (they do become visible during various methods of segment selection and the actual edit process, but it makes it a challenge to visualize the finished product when you can't see it).  The intersection at SR 37 in Bloomington needs a bit more work in Google Maps, likely I or another mapper will work on that once the current road becomes visible (and hard to do during the week when I'm occupied with my normal day job).

mgk920

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on December 08, 2015, 05:41:55 PM
Quote from: GaryV on December 08, 2015, 04:43:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 08, 2015, 01:46:29 PM
Also, I don't see anywhere in the article saying that Bloomington itself raised objections to having more interchanges; the word "Bloomington" just happens to appear in the preceding sentence, which mentions that there are not exits between it and IN 445.  The agreement is likely with one of many agencies concerned with environmental protection, possibly the Army Corps of Engineers.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that Bloomington is similar to "The People's Republic of Ann Arbor" so that would be a completely logical assumption that Bloomington was against having more exits.

Bloomington also made it known they didn't want any truck stops in the area.
They were/are a pain in the ass to everyone!

And I suppose that the City will be directing their PD to be über-aggressive WRT logbook enforcement, too, right?

:rolleyes:

Mike

thefro

JimBob

thefro

US 41

Does anyone know if and when "Bloomington" and/or "Indianapolis" will be added as control cities to the BGS's like this. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6559736,-87.1207336,3a,18.7y,122.34h,102.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4Da71sHus0xk1x4uGdyLBA!2e0
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

tdindy88

I would like to know, I'll hopefully be checking out the new stretch early next week. I recall seeing a signage plan early on in the construction of the first section. It showed a picture of the BGS at the SR 68 exit with I-69 which had the space left blank for northbound I-69 as it is on all BGSs for that direction. Written in "ghost letters" was the word "Indianapolis" indicating it was to be added later on. Presumably all the other BGSs were built to the same size specifications. I hope the completion of Section 4 gives them a reason to add that wording.

So as of today, I guess you can drive along the Ohio River along Riverside Drive in Evansville and end up along Harding Street within eye-shot of the Downtown Indianapolis skyline and never have to change lanes or routing.

andy

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 09, 2015, 02:50:00 PM
So as of today, I guess you can drive along the Ohio River along Riverside Drive in Evansville and end up along Harding Street within eye-shot of the Downtown Indianapolis skyline and never have to change lanes or routing.
Nice dream, but there's still construction between Bloomington and Martinsville.

SW Indiana

I crossed over 69 on SR45 this past weekend. The plastic over the BGS  had blown just enough to where I could see that northbound APPEARS to be still marked as 1-69 North. 

GaryV

My son reported about an 8-minute shorter commute from Crane to Bloomington.

lordsutch

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 08, 2015, 11:03:20 PM
It really feels like Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas are kind of the men in the middle and are forced to because of the other states. I don't think Mississippi needs any new interstates at all really

Mississippi and Tennessee want to do it, they just don't have the money relative to other priorities that have more immediate payoffs. It doesn't help that the political clout of the Delta region has substantially declined from when I-69 was first proposed - back in the day, both the TN House speaker and lieutenant governor were from west TN, the president and vice president were from AR and TN, the Senate majority leader was from MS.

cjw2001

Quote from: cjw2001 on December 09, 2015, 09:45:13 AM
Quote from: Buck87 on December 08, 2015, 11:32:41 PM
This has been a very interesting thread to follow and it's nice to see this newest section is about to open. Wonder how long it'll take for it to appear on google maps?

It has already been on Google Maps for some time in "started" status (which makes it invisible).   I marked those segments "completed" this morning and it is pending Google's approval.

Southbound change to "completed" has been approved.   Northbound change still pending approval.   Once Northbound is approved I'll start working on the cleanup of the interchange layout at the north end with SR 37 - it needs quite a bit of work.

Moose

Any photos of the ribbon cutting? A bunch of guys always show up in cool classic cars to make the first drive. The previous governor used to ride his motorcycle down the new road.

cjw2001

Quote from: cjw2001 on December 09, 2015, 07:34:33 PM
Quote from: cjw2001 on December 09, 2015, 09:45:13 AM
Quote from: Buck87 on December 08, 2015, 11:32:41 PM
This has been a very interesting thread to follow and it's nice to see this newest section is about to open. Wonder how long it'll take for it to appear on google maps?

It has already been on Google Maps for some time in "started" status (which makes it invisible).   I marked those segments "completed" this morning and it is pending Google's approval.

Southbound change to "completed" has been approved.   Northbound change still pending approval.   Once Northbound is approved I'll start working on the cleanup of the interchange layout at the north end with SR 37 - it needs quite a bit of work.

The Google moderation team was in a good mood tonight and approved the northbound completion change plus most of my interchange cleanup work.  This should all show up on Google Maps by tomorrow.  There are a few minor changes still pending (changing two way segments to one way and some road name labels).  Hopefully the remaining changes will get approved overnight.

Captain Jack

Quote from: US 41 on December 09, 2015, 01:18:25 PM
Does anyone know if and when "Bloomington" and/or "Indianapolis" will be added as control cities to the BGS's like this. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6559736,-87.1207336,3a,18.7y,122.34h,102.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4Da71sHus0xk1x4uGdyLBA!2e0

Considering KY is putting up signs with control cities of Henderson and Fulton, there is no reason Indiana shouldn't at least have Bloomington on the northbound signs. Given Bloomington's size, and the fact IU is there, I don't see a problem with having it as a co-control city going forward. There will be a lot of traffic from both Indianapolis and Evansville heading to Bloomington.

ATLRedSoxFan

I wonder how it will be signed temporarily at the South end in Evansville. To I-69 South? US 41 detour "To I-69"? Henderson/ I-69? Northbound, use Bloomington/Indianapolis.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on December 10, 2015, 01:25:14 AM
I wonder how it will be signed temporarily at the South end in Evansville. To I-69 South? US 41 detour "To I-69"? Henderson/ I-69? Northbound, use Bloomington/Indianapolis.

As of my last trip to Evansville, there is no reference to I-69 picking back up again in Kentucky.  I'll check again when I'm over there Friday, but I don't anticipate INDOT changing anything just yet.  And as has been mentioned, signs for northbound just have a big blank space where Indianapolis will eventually go.

ATLRedSoxFan

Based on that one picture, I'm surprised Bloomington is not posted Northbound. But, a lot can change. It will be interesting to find out what you see.

sd72667

I drove the new section back from Indy to Evansville this morning. One issue is when driving southbound on IN 37 in Bloomington, there's still an old "To I-69" sign as you approach the IN 45/Bloomfield Rd interchange. It tells you to exit on IN 45 west and follow the road back to US 231/IN 58 and I-69 interchange, which is rather confusing. Also as I drove south on IN 37 through Martinsville or Bloomington, I didn't see any signs that read "I-69 is ...miles". It's possible I missed it. Also just checked Google Maps and the new section of I-69 is now updated. BTW, the section between Bloomington and Crane is very smooth. I only encountered one rough bridge driving southbound, around the 89mm 88mm, before you get to the US 231 interchange.

silverback1065

the 445 exit is a teardrop roundabout interchange right? it's showing up as a diamond, also what is the lane configuration for the 37 interchange?  if you want to follow 37 straight through, are both ramps 2 lanes?

US 41

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 10, 2015, 08:36:26 AM
the 445 exit is a teardrop roundabout interchange right? it's showing up as a diamond, also what is the lane configuration for the 37 interchange?  if you want to follow 37 straight through, are both ramps 2 lanes?

I know for a fact it was built with roundabouts. It is definitely not a plain diamond interchange.

I'm also a little surprised that an interchange wasn't built at SR 54. I guess they want you to get off of I-69 at Crane to get to Bedford.

Section 5 Thoughts:

It's interesting that both the Fullerton Pike and Tapp Road interchanges are going to have roundabouts. (More on these roads later.)

Why is INDOT going to redo the SR 45 interchange? A folding diamond isn't already interstate quality? They just did construction and improved the interchange a year or two back.

Hopefully they close the little exit that goes into the strip mall north of the SR 48 interchange. (I think I might have read that they are).

Back to Fullerton Pike. I don't really like the interchange they drew up. It would have been better to build the ramps from/to northbound 37/69 on the north side and have That Road connect into the roundabout from the south. I don't like how That Road just ends at Rockport Road.

Fictional Ideas:

Connect Tapp Road and Airport Road west of SR 37.

Connect Fullerton Pike to Gordon Pike / Rhorer Road.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

EngineerTM

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on December 10, 2015, 03:50:40 AM

As of my last trip to Evansville, there is no reference to I-69 picking back up again in Kentucky.  I'll check again when I'm over there Friday, but I don't anticipate INDOT changing anything just yet.  And as has been mentioned, signs for northbound just have a big blank space where Indianapolis will eventually go.

I live in Vanderburgh County, and typically, the I-69 signage within Evansville and Vanderburgh County simply states "I-69 South" and "I-69 North" with no reference cities.  At the I-64 interchange, the I-69 South has "Evansville" while the I-69 North is left blank.  I think that this is simply a reflection of the current status: I-69's southern terminus is in Evansville and does not directly tie into Kentucky.  Right now, driving on Veterans' Parkway from downtown Evansville, there is one sign in advance of the US 41 Interchange that simply states that I-69 Starts and gives a 3/4-mile reference.  Then, at US 41, the signs there direct traffic to either "US 41 South to Henderson, KY" or "US 41 North to Vincennes."  There is no signs at this interchange referencing that I-69 picks up again south outside of Henderson.  Driving southbound on I-69 approaching downtown Evansville, the signage at the US 41 interchange is the same.  In addition, there is a yellow sign that simply states "I-69 Ends".

Also, I-69 does not yet go to Indianapolis.  Based on how I've seen the interstate access signage on I-70, I-74, and I-65 near Indiana's borders (such as I've seen at Terre Haute, New Albany, Covington, and Richmond), I believe that "Indianapolis" will eventually be placed on all the I-69 North's signs once Section 6 is either completed or under construction and "substantially complete."  I think that INDOT wants to do this work once and then be done with it.  Furthermore, given the amount of resistance that INDOT received from Bloomington/Monroe County (including its elected officials and, right up to the very end, the Bloomington MPO), I don't think that INDOT would even consider placing Bloomington's name on the signs.

(This is my opinion, but is based on my observations of how I watched this process play out, along with discussions with some friends who worked for INDOT when I used to do consulting work for the state.)

silverback1065

Quote from: US 41 on December 10, 2015, 09:15:03 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 10, 2015, 08:36:26 AM

I know for a fact it was built with roundabouts. It is definitely not a plain diamond interchange.

I'm also a little surprised that an interchange wasn't built at SR 54. I guess they want you to get off of I-69 at Crane to get to Bedford.

Section 5 Thoughts:

It's interesting that both the Fullerton Pike and Tapp Road interchanges are going to have roundabouts. (More on these roads later.)

Why is INDOT going to redo the SR 45 interchange? A folding diamond isn't already interstate quality? They just did construction and improved the interchange a year or two back.

Hopefully they close the little exit that goes into the strip mall north of the SR 48 interchange. (I think I might have read that they are).

Back to Fullerton Pike. I don't really like the interchange they drew up. It would have been better to build the ramps from/to northbound 37/69 on the north side and have That Road connect into the roundabout from the south. I don't like how That Road just ends at Rockport Road.

Fictional Ideas:

Connect Tapp Road and Airport Road west of SR 37.

Connect Fullerton Pike to Gordon Pike / Rhorer Road.

Bloomington is actually doing the fullerton project you're mentioning soon.

I think SR 54 is so high off the ground that an interchange isn't a good idea, i believe someone on here mentioned that a while back.

mvak36

Quote from: EngineerTM on December 10, 2015, 09:17:59 AM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on December 10, 2015, 03:50:40 AM

I live in Vanderburgh County, and typically, the I-69 signage within Evansville and Vanderburgh County simply states "I-69 South" and "I-69 North" with no reference cities.  At the I-64 interchange, the I-69 South has "Evansville" while the I-69 North is left blank.  I think that this is simply a reflection of the current status: I-69's southern terminus is in Evansville and does not directly tie into Kentucky.  Right now, driving on Veterans' Parkway from downtown Evansville, there is one sign in advance of the US 41 Interchange that simply states that I-69 Starts and gives a 3/4-mile reference.  Then, at US 41, the signs there direct traffic to either "US 41 South to Henderson, KY" or "US 41 North to Vincennes."  There is no signs at this interchange referencing that I-69 picks up again south outside of Henderson.  Driving southbound on I-69 approaching downtown Evansville, the signage at the US 41 interchange is the same.  In addition, there is a yellow sign that simply states "I-69 Ends".

Also, I-69 does not yet go to Indianapolis.  Based on how I've seen the interstate access signage on I-70, I-74, and I-65 near Indiana's borders (such as I've seen at Terre Haute, New Albany, Covington, and Richmond), I believe that "Indianapolis" will eventually be placed on all the I-69 North's signs once Section 6 is either completed or under construction and "substantially complete."  I think that INDOT wants to do this work once and then be done with it.  Furthermore, given the amount of resistance that INDOT received from Bloomington/Monroe County (including its elected officials and, right up to the very end, the Bloomington MPO), I don't think that INDOT would even consider placing Bloomington's name on the signs.

(This is my opinion, but is based on my observations of how I watched this process play out, along with discussions with some friends who worked for INDOT when I used to do consulting work for the state.)

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. It probably should be Indianapolis anyways. If they really wanted to stick it to Bloomington, put Martinsvile/Indianapolis on the signs. :poke:
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.