News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

Just did a quick glance over at google maps:  The 69 designation is applied all the way up to Fullerton Pike.

Moose

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 10, 2015, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: EngineerTM on December 10, 2015, 10:53:49 AM
as well as the Crane Naval Base.  There was serious concern that Crane, due to its isolated location, could be selected for closure.

Crane should be closed regardless.  Why the hell is there a Navy base in central Indiana in the first place?  Talk about military pork...

There is a damn good reason Crane is where it is, and it has zilch to do with boats.

First it's a out of the way place to store munitions (including nukes) on cheap secure land. It has rail access with equal travel times to the gulf and the east coast, and it's not bad to the west coast ether, and it's close to the Great Lakes training center.

Second, most of what crane does has nothing to do with boats specifically. They do development of electronics and weapons for the boats.

Lastly they maintain and develop weapons and other items for the seals.

It's the 3rd largest by size naval base in the world.

EngineerTM

Quote from: Captain Jack on December 11, 2015, 12:40:38 AM
Quote from: US 41 on December 10, 2015, 10:32:39 AM

I agree that I-69 should go to Bloomington, but I also think it should have been built as a toll road from the the SR 57 interchange (Exit 22) to the SR 37 interchange. There's was really no good reason not to toll that section.

I guess no better reason than not to toll I-70 from SR 46 to I-465.......

Could even have tolling along the new SR 641, since it was only built to benefit Terre Haute.   :D  See how easy it is to play this game?

cjw2001

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 11, 2015, 01:42:46 AM
Just did a quick glance over at google maps:  The 69 designation is applied all the way up to Fullerton Pike.

Yes I did that.   That's the first at grade crossing where the freeway priority ends.  While a little bit of that is in section 5 logically we all know that will be part of I69.

US 41

Quote from: EngineerTM on December 11, 2015, 09:14:26 AM
Quote from: Captain Jack on December 11, 2015, 12:40:38 AM
Quote from: US 41 on December 10, 2015, 10:32:39 AM

I agree that I-69 should go to Bloomington, but I also think it should have been built as a toll road from the the SR 57 interchange (Exit 22) to the SR 37 interchange. There's was really no good reason not to toll that section.

I guess no better reason than not to toll I-70 from SR 46 to I-465.......

Could even have tolling along the new SR 641, since it was only built to benefit Terre Haute.   :D  See how easy it is to play this game?

I would actually support tolling both SR 641 and I-70.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

US 41

Quote from: cjw2001 on December 11, 2015, 12:18:45 PM

Yes I did that.   That's the first at grade crossing where the freeway priority ends.  While a little bit of that is in section 5 logically we all know that will be part of I69.

That Road still has an intersection with northbound 37.

I drove on the newest section yesterday. I was most impressed with the very tall bridge (not sure what road that is) that goes over I-69.

EngineerTM

I also noticed that Google Maps shows I-69 extending south from Evansville along the US 41 twin bridges and the US 41 commercial strip through Henderson, KY, which is not an accurate representation of the actual situation along that section.  Neither Indiana nor Kentucky has signed those areas as I-69.  I also noticed that Google Maps and Google Earth do not show this information identically.

roadman65

I just realized this one, when I-69 gets completed in Indiana there will be another consecutive interstate junction to the list.  The first in Indiana with I-69 and I-70 intersecting, and just like with I-71 at Columbus for I-70, it will join I-80 in PA with both numbers preceding and following it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

EngineerTM

Quote from: US 41 on December 11, 2015, 12:53:03 PM

I drove on the newest section yesterday. I was most impressed with the very tall bridge (not sure what road that is) that goes over I-69.

Wow - that is surprising to hear, especially since the new Rockport Road overpass bridge immediately to the north of That Road has been built and opened to traffic.  Not sure why That Road would still be opened, unless the contractor has not finished building the access road to the east of 37 that would route That Road on to Rockport Road.

cjw2001

Quote from: EngineerTM on December 11, 2015, 01:13:21 PM
Quote from: US 41 on December 11, 2015, 12:53:03 PM

Wow - that is surprising to hear, especially since the new Rockport Road overpass bridge immediately to the north of That Road has been built and opened to traffic.  Not sure why That Road would still be opened, unless the contractor has not finished building the access road to the east of 37 that would route That Road on to Rockport Road.

Since that intersection on That Road should be going away soon probably makes sense to just leave the mapping as is.   I redrew That Road up to Rockport based on this news story that said the new routing had been opened.  http://www.wbiw.com/local/archive/2015/08/i-69-section-5-announces-opening-of-rockport-road.php

US 41

Quote from: EngineerTM on December 11, 2015, 01:08:11 PM

I also noticed that Google Maps shows I-69 extending south from Evansville along the US 41 twin bridges and the US 41 commercial strip through Henderson, KY, which is not an accurate representation of the actual situation along that section.  Neither Indiana nor Kentucky has signed those areas as I-69.  I also noticed that Google Maps and Google Earth do not show this information identically.

Haha. That is worth putting on here. The I-69 Ohio River Bridges are now complete.  :D

Henry

Quote from: US 41 on December 11, 2015, 01:37:41 PM
Quote from: EngineerTM on December 11, 2015, 01:08:11 PM

Haha. That is worth putting on here. The I-69 Ohio River Bridges are now complete.  :D

Talk about wishful thinking here! :rofl:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jnewkirk77

The BGSs in Evansville are still blank where the control city will go.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: Moose on December 11, 2015, 04:24:04 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 10, 2015, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: EngineerTM on December 10, 2015, 10:53:49 AM
as well as the Crane Naval Base.  There was serious concern that Crane, due to its isolated location, could be selected for closure.

Crane should be closed regardless.  Why the hell is there a Navy base in central Indiana in the first place?  Talk about military pork...

There is a damn good reason Crane is where it is, and it has zilch to do with boats.

First it's a out of the way place to store munitions (including nukes) on cheap secure land. It has rail access with equal travel times to the gulf and the east coast, and it's not bad to the west coast ether, and it's close to the Great Lakes training center.

Second, most of what crane does has nothing to do with boats specifically. They do development of electronics and weapons for the boats.

Lastly they maintain and develop weapons and other items for the seals.

It's the 3rd largest by size naval base in the world.

BINGO! Plus, how badly needed good paying jobs does Crane provide? I'll say nobody in the area can compare. And people want to risk that for...what? A butterfly or a tree?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SW Indiana on December 10, 2015, 07:54:15 PM
I checked INDOT's interactive traffic map. The last year of data is from 2011. The avg daily count of SR 37 between SR 46 at Bloomington and the south edge of Martinsville is 21,278 (I took the avg of the 6 traffic counts listed between the two cities). That's more than I-74 between Indy and Illinois. It's also a few more thousand more than US 41 between Evansville and Terre Haute.

Thank you for these numbers.  That makes the ongoing/forthcoming upgrades a lot more palatable in my opinion.

Just like most military installations, Crane is a jobs program first and a matter of national security second.  Or fourth.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mukade

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 11, 2015, 11:03:19 PM
Just like most military installations, Crane is a jobs program first and a matter of national security second.  Or fourth.

Hmmm. Can you cite any evidence that Crane is primarily a jobs program? Or is that an opinion not based on any facts? It seems to me that the facility has served a pretty critical function since 1941 when it was established.

Anyway, I took a drive down to section 4 today. The section is pretty impressive with the rolling terrain and high bridges. It reminds me of I-64, but I think that section 4 is probably be the most scenic Interstate in Indiana. Like with sections 1-3 and with US 31, it is difficult to believe they finished it given its state only a few short weeks before opening. Here are some random notes:

- The SR 37 and SR 445 interchanges have great lighting unlike the most all of the section 1-3 and the new US 31 interchanges (I-69/SR 68 being the exception). I am not sure how INDOT decides why some interchanges get great lighting and others get none.
- The traffic was heavier than I expected. It wasn't congested by any means, it was a lot heavier than I have ever seen it when only sections 1-3 existed. SR 45 traffic appeared to be non-existent at the new interchange.
- There was a lot of crosswind coming through the valleys on a day with a stiff south wind.
- I was surprised to see that NB I-69 at SR 37 goes down to a single lane. I assume that will be modified to include another lane when section 5 opens.
- The eastern extension of SR 445 to I-69 is pretty impressive.
- Section 5 has progressed a lot since I last saw it in September. A lot of work including paving south of Martinsville was being done today. This construction season has been longer than most.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mukade on December 12, 2015, 07:17:03 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 11, 2015, 11:03:19 PM

Hmmm. Can you cite any evidence that Crane is primarily a jobs program? Or is that an opinion not based on any facts? It seems to me that the facility has served a pretty critical function since 1941 when it was established.

I've derailed the thread enough.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

theline

Quote from: mukade on December 12, 2015, 07:17:03 PM

- The SR 37 and SR 445 interchanges have great lighting unlike the most all of the section 1-3 and the new US 31 interchanges (I-69/SR 68 being the exception). I am not sure how INDOT decides why some interchanges get great lighting and others get none.

IIRC, original plans for sections 1-3 of I-69 called for lighting most of the intersections. The short section from I-64 to SR-68 was completed first, with lighting at the 68 intersection. Money then got tight and lighting at other intersections was postponed during planning to save some bucks. I'm pleasantly surprised that lighting was done on section 4.

I suspect that lighting may have been nixed on some other projects to save dollars. Maybe it's the only way to get the projects built, but it's a shame. I don't know if lighting was eliminated from the US-31 Plymouth-South Bend project, but I know they cut other details to economize. Original plans I saw for the US-31/20 intersection called for building flyovers for the NB-to-WB and WB-to-SB connections. That didn't get done.

Revive 755

I don't think there is a single logo or service sign along I-69 between I-64 and IN 37.  If there really are no services available at most of the exits, it would be nice for INDOT to put up a couple 'Next services X miles' signs.

US 41

Unless I'm mistaken there aren't any rest areas on I-69 between Bloomington and Evansville. Are there any plans to put some in?

mukade

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 15, 2015, 09:13:00 PM
I don't think there is a single logo or service sign along I-69 between I-64 and IN 37.  If there really are no services available at most of the exits, it would be nice for INDOT to put up a couple 'Next services X miles' signs.

There are services within a mile or so at several interchanges including SR 68, SR 64, SR 56/SR 61, US 50, US 231, and SR 445. Blue service signs would be nice because none of these services are within clear sight of I-69.

Quote from: US 41 on December 15, 2015, 09:28:00 PM
Unless I'm mistaken there aren't any rest areas on I-69 between Bloomington and Evansville. Are there any plans to put some in?

There was a plan to put one in in Greene County, if I remember right. It would have been a single facility serving both directions.

tdindy88

I suppose traffic counts are the reason for the lack of a rest area right now?

As for the service signs, much agreed on the need to put them up. US 31 around Kokomo has service signs at it's exits for businesses that are all located around SR 931, at least a mile or so away from the freeway.

Captain Jack

Quote from: mukade on December 15, 2015, 09:42:16 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 15, 2015, 09:13:00 PM

There are services within a mile or so at several interchanges including SR 68, SR 64, SR 56/SR 61, US 50, US 231, and SR 445. Blue service signs would be nice because none of these services are within clear sight of I-69.

There was a plan to put one in in Greene County, if I remember right. It would have been a single facility serving both directions.

Service signs and mileage signs are both sorely missed right now. There are plenty of services close by, as pointed out, but unless you know the area, you wouldn't know it from the highway. I certainly don't understand why no mileage signs, especially southbound. KY hasn't even shielded the former Pennyrile section, yet there are mileage signs for little old Fulton as soon as you leave Henderson.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 15, 2015, 10:10:16 PM
I suppose traffic counts are the reason for the lack of a rest area right now?

As for the service signs, much agreed on the need to put them up. US 31 around Kokomo has service signs at it's exits for businesses that are all located around SR 931, at least a mile or so away from the freeway.

I feel like the ones on 31 had a huge backing by the city of kokomo and all the business owners that were afraid of losing all the traffic. 

SW Indiana

There was a plan in Daviess county as well, but it was cut, along with two additional interchanges. Also, Daviess County Commissioners approved buying and installing their own county road number signs for all the overpasses. INDOT refused to install any, so they decided to do it themselves.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.