Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moose

Quote from: IndyAgent on February 05, 2016, 07:58:29 PM
I find it quite annoying that for each of the first 4 segments offered monthly updates but the segment 5 site has not been updated since October.

I know they have a grid but it would be nice to get a real update every month or so

That is about normal.

It didn't get updated all last summer. Then about September or later, someone binge updated it with all sorts of stuff, some of it was notices for stuff in the past over the summer.

Yeah great..... you think they could get someone to keep the dang website up to date.

thefro

The whole thing is pretty odd with the website since the Twitter account tweets constantly.  You can also see the press releases from the road closings around the web.

thefro

Quote from: SW Indiana on January 11, 2016, 10:45:59 AM
Noticed yesterday while traveling back from Indy that the SB "next exit xx miles" sign near exit 87 (US 231) was covered in plastic, but it had partially blown off, revealing 7 miles for the next exit (76), which is at SR 58. I'm assuming it was covered up because the mileage is wrong, lol.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the low salt zones, which allowed me to travel a whopping 45-50mph the entire stretch from Bloomington to Crane. But to be fair, the temps yesterday were cold enough that the effectiveness of the salt was restricted. However, I traveled through after after 9pm and all four lanes were still pretty much snow/ice covered.

INDOT explains the "Low Salt Zone" signs

http://www.tristatehomepage.com/news/local-news/what-is-a-low-salt-zone-and-why-is-it-on-i-69

QuoteThe Tri-State has seen its share of snow and ice this winter, and more is sure to come.

It's made a mess along highways and been the cause of accidents on interstates.

But some drivers are questioning a stretch of I-69, and the so-called "low salt, no spray"  zone.

It's posted on blue signs dotting the newest stretch of the highway near Bloomington, and drivers are asking questions.

Will Wingfield with INDOT says it means crews are more cautious treating the roads.

"Nobody is asking us to compromise on public safety, and we treat I-69 the same way we do other roads,"  he says.

According to Wingfield, INDOT complies with environmental standards in an effort to keep limestone caves and underground waterways in the area clean.

Despite the "low salt"  designation, Wingfield adds crews don't do anything differently treating roads in winter weather.

"We met with [environmental agencies], we detailed our practices, and they were comfortable with what we were already doing."

Some drivers seem to believe low salt means no salt.

Heather Ricketts drove the route south Tuesday night through a snow storm.

"You couldn't tell where the road was,"  she says, "There were people pulled over with their flashers on."

INDOT says it takes two to three hours for crews to treat the roads during a storm, and Wingfield says drivers need to slow down from the posted 70 mph speed limit.

"When we are in the middle of a snow event, people need to reduce their speed according to the conditions."

The blue signs also have "no spray"  on them; officials says its more strict following those rules — not spraying herbicides on the grass medians and shoulders

seicer

That's funny - it's low salt up here too (Cleveland) and people deal with the frequent snow events just fine. I would tell the motorists to "suck it up, buttercup" and if you can't see during snow squalls or storms, then... you shouldn't be driving during those events. There are plenty of areas where low salt is used - even on interstates.

For instance, the northwest ODOT district in Ohio is eschewing salt for a liquid mixture which will save the district money and prevent many of the environmental consequences of salting roadways (of which there are many). On our interstates up this way, salt isn't even applied during most squalls or small storms - it's just plowed. A liquid mixture may be applied, along with a little salt, but it's not anything close to what I've seen other states dump.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on February 15, 2016, 07:56:11 AM
That's funny - it's low salt up here too (Cleveland) and people deal with the frequent snow events just fine. I would tell the motorists to "suck it up, buttercup" and if you can't see during snow squalls or storms, then... you shouldn't be driving during those events. There are plenty of areas where low salt is used - even on interstates.

For instance, the northwest ODOT district in Ohio is eschewing salt for a liquid mixture which will save the district money and prevent many of the environmental consequences of salting roadways (of which there are many). On our interstates up this way, salt isn't even applied during most squalls or small storms - it's just plowed. A liquid mixture may be applied, along with a little salt, but it's not anything close to what I've seen other states dump.

There are little non-event storms here where plowing contractors spread salt every single pass on many redundant passes.  It gets ridiculous.  I am convinced they go through the motions to warrant being paid for the shift or something.  This is why in bad winters our huge salt reserves always run low or out.

The "low salt" on 69 could be a fraction of what a lot of salt-dependent areas use and still be more than enough.

westerninterloper

Around Toledo, ODOT regularly applies a liquid mixture derived in part from beets (I believe?) a day before the snowfall; I think it keeps the temperature of the pavement a little higher. The snows are plowed very quickly in this part of Ohio.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 15, 2016, 08:06:07 AM

There are little non-event storms here where plowing contractors spread salt every single pass on many redundant passes.  It gets ridiculous.  I am convinced they go through the motions to warrant being paid for the shift or something.  This is why in bad winters our huge salt reserves always run low or out.

Managers are definitely sensitive to the "needs" of seasonal workers during light winters.  Heck, we just had an inch of snow or so last night and I heard snowplows scraping along far more frequently than actually necessary. 

There's also the "white mile" phenomenon:  When the trucks are on their way to return to their lots and the salt shed, some drivers will dump salt out on the road so they don't have to deal with it when they get back in.  Hence, the last mile to the salt shed becomes the "white mile."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ITB

I ventured out this afternoon to take a look see at how things are coming along with Section 5 in Monroe County. Here's a short rundown and some pics:

Fullerton Pike interchange – The bent and the abutments are nearing completion, but no beams yet. A lot of loose lift has been placed to raise the road bed for the traffic circles. Still a lot of work remains.

Tapp Road interchange – Some loose lift has been placed. However, the true start of construction will have to wait until the Fullerton Pike interchange completes.

Vernal Pike/17th Street overpass – Work continues on the abutments and with loose lift.

Kinser Pike overpass – Nearing completion; probably will open for traffic in another 2—3 months.

Bean Blossom Creek & Griffy Creek mainline bridges (expansion for one additional lane in each direction) – Work has started on both bridges.

Sample Road interchange – Preliminary work, such as utilities relocation, continues. Looks like full blown construction will kick off soon.

Added lanes and barrier wall between SR 37/I-69 interchange & SR 46 – Good progress has been made; a lot of rebar is now up for the wall between 3rd Street and SR 46. In fact, a crew was out working today–Sunday–in this vicinity.

Liberty Church Road interchange – No report, as I didn't check it out

The future Fullerton Pike/I-69 interchange in Monroe County, Indiana; looking northeast.

I-69 Development Partners/Isolux Corsán (Indiana I-69 Corridor Project, Section 5).

The median bent of the Fullerton Pike/I-69 interchange; looking northeast.

A little helicopter action at Monroe Hospital; the future Fullerton Pike/I-69 interchange is in the background.

Another view of the copter, which was landing at Monroe Hospital to pick up and transfer a patient.

Sample Road at State Road 37, looking east; full blown construction should start soon.

Sample Road at State Road 37 from another vantage point; looking east.

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on February 21, 2016, 09:28:12 PM
I ventured out this afternoon to take a look see at how things are coming along with Section 5 in Monroe County. Here's a short rundown and some pics:

Fullerton Pike interchange – The bent and the abutments are nearing completion, but no beams yet. A lot of loose lift has been placed to raise the road bed for the traffic circles. Still a lot of work remains.

Tapp Road interchange – Some loose lift has been placed. However, the true start of construction will have to wait until the Fullerton Pike interchange completes.

Vernal Pike/17th Street overpass – Work continues on the abutments and with loose lift.

Kinser Pike overpass – Nearing completion; probably will open for traffic in another 2—3 months.

Bean Blossom Creek & Griffy Creek mainline bridges (expansion for one additional lane in each direction) – Work has started on both bridges.

Sample Road interchange – Preliminary work, such as utilities relocation, continues. Looks like full blown construction will kick off soon.

Added lanes and barrier wall between SR 37/I-69 interchange & SR 46 – Good progress has been made; a lot of rebar is now up for the wall between 3rd Street and SR 46. In fact, a crew was out working today–Sunday–in this vicinity.

Liberty Church Road interchange – No report, as I didn't check it out

The future Fullerton Pike/I-69 interchange in Monroe County, Indiana; looking northeast.

I-69 Development Partners/Isolux Corsán (Indiana I-69 Corridor Project, Section 5).

The median bent of the Fullerton Pike/I-69 interchange; looking northeast.

A little helicopter action at Monroe Hospital; the future Fullerton Pike/I-69 interchange is in the background.

Another view of the copter, which was landing at Monroe Hospital to pick up and transfer a patient.

Sample Road at State Road 37, looking east; full blown construction should start soon.

Sample Road at State Road 37 from another vantage point; looking east.

Nice pictures.  Looks like they've made a lot of progress since I drove through Bloomington last July.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ITB

A few more Section 5 pics. Photos were taken February 22, 2016 unless otherwise noted.

The I-69 Section 5 contractor field office.  On Vernal Pike at Sunrise Greeting Ct., Bloomington, Indiana; looking southwest.

This building, I believe was the former production facility for the Bloomington greeting card company Sunrise Publications. Sunrise was started in B-town in 1974 and became a big success. It was eventually acquired by Hallmark Cards, Inc. in 1998. At its zenith in the early 1990s, Sunrise employed over 400 in Bloomington, and nearly 700 nationwide. But after the Hallmark acquisition, operations were steadily wound down, and in 2012, the last remaining elements of the company in Bloomington were closed.

Here's a couple of pics that show the December 2015–February 2016 progress at the Vernal Pike construction zone.

Vernal Pike construction zone; facing east. Traffic on State Road 37 can be seen in the background. Photo date: February 22, 2016

Photo date: December 5, 2015.

State Road 37 at West 3rd Street in Bloomington; looking northwest. The rebar for the median barrier wall appears about ready for concrete.

The bridge that carries West 3rd Street over State Road 37 in Bloomington; looking west. As part of Section 5, it's being widened to accommodate pathways for bicycles and pedestrians. Pictured is the extension of the median bent on the north side of the bridge (a similar extension is found on the south side as well).

Another view of the Vernal Pike work zone, which provides a better perspective of the prefabricated Con/Span© bridge that will allow N. Packinghouse Road to pass under Vernal Pike; looking east.

A close up of the Con/Span© bridge; looking east. Photo was taken December 5, 2015.

silverback1065

They're seriously widening the SR 48 bridge just for peds and bikes?  I'm all for walkability, but is it really worth all that money to widen the bridge a few feet for this purpose?  Looking at the bridge in streetview the shoulders appear to be wide enough to accommodate these facilities on either side.  Seems like a waste of money to me.

codyg1985

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 25, 2016, 07:44:37 AM
They're seriously widening the SR 48 bridge just for peds and bikes?  I'm all for walkability, but is it really worth all that money to widen the bridge a few feet for this purpose?  Looking at the bridge in streetview the shoulders appear to be wide enough to accommodate these facilities on either side.  Seems like a waste of money to me.

Maybe that was a concession for the Bloomington folks to not be as upset about I-69 coming through?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

silverback1065

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 25, 2016, 07:53:38 AM

Maybe that was a concession for the Bloomington folks to not be as upset about I-69 coming through?

I think you're right.

2trailertrucker

Across the street from Sunrise Greetings was the old Roadway Express terminal. Is that still there?

thefro

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 25, 2016, 07:53:38 AM

It was.  I believe it's in one of the articles in this thread.

ITB

I ventured out during the weekend for a more in-depth look-see at Section 5 and to snap some photos of the construction. Good progress has been made over the winter months, but still a LOT of work remains, and a good number of projects have yet to commence.

Work projects that should complete (or be close to finishing) in the next 6 months, include:
- Kinser Pike overpass and roadway
- Fullerton Pike interchange
- Vernal Pike overpass and roadway
- Added travels lanes and median barrier wall between Fullerton Pike and State Road 46

Projects that may complete by the end of 2016:
- Liberty Church Road interchange and related access roads
- Added travel lanes and median barrier wall between State Road 46 and N. Walnut Street
- Rehabilitation of bridges over Bryant Creek (both north and southbound)
- Bridge expansion/added travel lanes – Griffy Creek bridges (both north and southbound)
- Bridge expansion/added travel lanes – Beanblossom Creek Overflow bridges (both north and southbound)

Work that has yet to fully commence (but some preliminary work may have been undertaken):
- Tapp Road interchange
- Sample Road interchange (apparently has officially broken ground, but the heavy duty work has yet to begin)
- Access roads that tie into Sample Road (about 8—10 miles of new terrain access roads are planned according to my rough estimate; some work is ongoing, but it hasn't yet kicked into high gear)
- Chambers Pike overpass
- Added travel lanes and barrier wall between N. Walnut Street and Sample Road
- Bridge expansion/added travel lanes – Beanblossom Creek bridges
- 2nd and 3rd Street interchange improvements (3rd Street bridge has had median bent expanded, but nothing further)
- Sound walls

Completed projects:
- Rockport Road overpass
- That Road realignment and roadway
- Added travel lanes and barrier wall between Fullerton Pike and 3rd Street (some work remains, but probably won't be fully finished until all the interchanges in Bloomington complete)

Let's go to the pics! Photos were taken February 27, 2016, unless otherwise indicated.

Looking north from the Kinser Pike overpass at State Road 37 (future I-69) in Monroe County, Indiana. The equipment pictured in the median (foreground) are a crane and piling rig near the Griffy Creek work zone. In the background is another piling rig at the Beanblossom Creek Overflow work site. The bridge is the N. Walnut Street overpass and limited interchange, and just south of that are the bridges over Beanblossom Creek, where construction has yet to commence.

I-69 Development Partners; Isolux Corsán USA, prime contractors (Indiana I-69 Corridor Project, Section 5).

State Road 37 bridges over Griffy Creek; looking north from near Kinser Pike. Crews are currently working to demolish the interior barrier wall and supportive bean of the northbound span in preparation for expansion. After the northbound bridge is completed, work will shift to the southbound bridge.

Mid-range view of the work occurring on the State Road 37/Griffy Creek northbound bridge; looking north.

A culvert on Kinser Pike about 1/2 mile north of Kinser Pike/SR 37 overpass; facing north. State Road 37 is just off to the right, down a steep embankment.

Vintage gas pumps! At an outlying building of a private residence on Kinser Pike about a 1/2 mile north of the Kinser Pike overpass. There were a total of six old pumps in and around the property. The Section 5 ROW for the Kinser Pike upgrade is indicated by the stakes and ribbons.

Kinser Pike overpass; looking east. Nearing completion.

ITB

A few more pics. Photos were taken February 28, 2016, unless otherwise noted.

The eastern abutment of the Liberty Church Road/State Road 37 (future I-69) overpass and interchange in Morgan County, Indiana; looking north.

I-69 Development Partners; Isolux Corsán USA, prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Corridor Project, Section 5).

Long-range perspective of the Liberty Church work zone; looking northwest.

Another perspective of the work underway at the Liberty Church interchange site; looking northwest.

From atop the eastern abutment, looking across State Road 37 at the steel pilings for the western abutment of the Liberty Church Road overpass and interchange; looking west.

The prefabricated Con/Span® bridge that will carry Vernal Pike over a realigned N. Packing House Road in Monroe County, Indiana; looking north.

Another view of the Con/Span bridge, with MSE (Mechanically Stabilized Earth) panels in the foreground; looking north. The panels will be used to complete the western approach to the bridge.

A creative perspective of the Con/Span bridge through a concrete storm sewer joint; looking north.

The Fullerton Pike work zone; looking southeast.

thefro

http://www.theindianalawyer.com/th-circuit-rejects-groups-i-69-challenges/PARAMS/article/39654

CARR loses appeal to stop I-69 construction

QuoteThe 7th Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a federal judge's ruling granting a motion to dismiss some charges and grant summary judgment on others to the United States Department of Transportation after a group opposing I-69 construction in southern Indiana, Citizens for Appropriate Rural Roads, filed a lawsuit.

CARR challenged several environmental aspects to the construction, alleging 18 counts of wrongdoing. The trial court found counts 9, and 13 through 18 were unripe, and that summary judgment on count 7 was appropriate. CARR appealed judgment on those counts.

In count 7, CARR said defendants violated the National Environmental Policy Act by not filing a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement. They argued one was needed to address 2009 fleet vehicle data, the impact of the project on the endangered Indiana bat, and the impact of the project on certain historic sites. They argued the defendants arbitrarily used 2004 data instead of available 2009 data but Colin Bruce, District judge in the Central District of Illinois sitting by designation and writing the decision, said the defendants used 2004 data because 2009 data was not quality verified. Also, the plaintiffs did not show that using the 2009 data would have resulted in noncompliance.

Bruce found there was no basis that the plight of the endangered Indiana bat required an SEIS, and the plaintiffs did not include enough evidence to justify the use of an SEIS to gauge the impact of certain historic sites.

In count 13, plaintiffs alleged defendants violated the Clean Air Act and Administrative Procedure Act by not using the 2009 data, but Bruce said the law did not require defendants to use the 2009 data because it was not finalized until 2011. Also, the defendants knew about the 2009 data and chose not to use it.   

In counts 17 and 18, the plaintiffs said the defendants concealed certain information in violation of the NEPA, but did not provide sufficient evidence to back up their claims. Bruce said the defendants proved they considered all relevant factors when they decided on a route, and that's all that was required.

In counts 9, 14, 15 and 16, the plaintiffs did not respond to defendants' request for summary judgment. They did not include any statement of material facts, and by failing to respond, the defendants' facts were taken as represented in their motions, meaning they were granted summary judgment.

Bruce said the trial court made an error in its dismissal of all of count 8, but that error was harmless. All of count 8 would have been judged in the defendants' favor through summary judgment at trial anyway.

The plaintiffs also claimed fraud on the court, but the only evidence of the fraud was "hearsay upon hearsay,"  Bruce wrote, so that charge was not granted.

The plaintiffs argued the District Court erred on a number of evidentiary issues, but the 7th Circuit thought otherwise there as well. The plaintiffs' affidavit was hearsay, the subpoenas were quashed with reason and they were not entitled to an evidentiary hearing.

Finally, the plaintiffs claimed there should have been additional discovery in the case, but again Bruce said the plaintiffs failed to show a need for it.

Henry

And so the Interstate will soon inch closer to Indianapolis...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

silverback1065

I saw a presentation on Section 6 at road school today, nothing really new except 2 things (which may not be new to any of you guys)

1. They have no idea when they will narrow it down to less than 5 alternatives

2. Construction won't start until near 2020.

From the presentation I really get the feeling that they are going to choose 37 and the other alternatives are simply going through the motions.  At every step they kept saying how they view 37 as the route the main route when considering some of the permitting and other preliminary stuff they have to do.  This is simply my perception though, but I would honestly be shocked if it went any other way.

Their main concern at this point is the tie in point, how it will affect traffic on it.  For instance, if they chose the idiotic 70 tie in, they said they would likely have to 6 lane 70 from the tie in to 267.  And similar things could have to be done if it tied into 465.  They also said no tolls will be on this route (which isn't at all new i think this was common knowledge) they also mentioned that if they didn't use 37 how much it would cost to maintain 37 in addition to 69, there's no way they could get rid of 37.  The harding st interchange could be morphed into the 69 one in the same way Ameriplex pkwy is with the airport exit. 

abqtraveler

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 08, 2016, 09:54:18 PM
I saw a presentation on Section 6 at road school today, nothing really new except 2 things (which may not be new to any of you guys)

From the presentation I really get the feeling that they are going to choose 37 and the other alternatives are simply going through the motions.  At every step they kept saying how they view 37 as the route the main route when considering some of the permitting and other preliminary stuff they have to do.  This is simply my perception though, but I would honestly be shocked if it went any other way.

Their main concern at this point is the tie in point, how it will affect traffic on it.  For instance, if they chose the idiotic 70 tie in, they said they would likely have to 6 lane 70 from the tie in to 267.  And similar things could have to be done if it tied into 465.  They also said no tolls will be on this route (which isn't at all new i think this was common knowledge) they also mentioned that if they didn't use 37 how much it would cost to maintain 37 in addition to 69, there's no way they could get rid of 37.  The harding st interchange could be morphed into the 69 one in the same way Ameriplex pkwy is with the airport exit.

To comply with NEPA, INDOT has to show that they've done their due-diligence in determining that following SR-37 would be the best course of action to complete I-69 to Indianapolis.   The only real way to do that is to conduct environmental analysis of a series of alternatives in addition to the SR-37 routing, all of which are compared against the "No-Build" alternative that serves as a baseline upon which to measure all of the "build" alternatives.  The environmental studies ongoing for Section 6 will likely arrive at the same conclusion that supports following SR-37 to 465, but INDOT will at least have the documentation showing compliance with NEPA should there be any more lawsuits to stop the project.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

silverback1065

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 09, 2016, 11:02:24 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on March 08, 2016, 09:54:18 PM

To comply with NEPA, INDOT has to show that they've done their due-diligence in determining that following SR-37 would be the best course of action to complete I-69 to Indianapolis.   The only real way to do that is to conduct environmental analysis of a series of alternatives in addition to the SR-37 routing, all of which are compared against the "No-Build" alternative that serves as a baseline upon which to measure all of the "build" alternatives.  The environmental studies ongoing for Section 6 will likely arrive at the same conclusion that supports following SR-37 to 465, but INDOT will at least have the documentation showing compliance with NEPA should there be any more lawsuits to stop the project.
That's basically what they were saying as to why they had all the alternatives, I was just giving my opinion on what the tone of the presentation was.

IndyAgent

All this bloviating is just slowing down needed progress.  Using 37 is the least environmentally damaging choice.

I know some business may have to move as well as some homeowners but this will be minimized on exits ramps like southport road because they can move the exit ramps around the local businesses as much as possible

NE2

Quote from: Hitler
All these Jews are just slowing down needed progress.
hehehehe
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: NE2 on March 09, 2016, 02:06:34 PM
Quote from: Hitler
All these Jews are just slowing down needed progress.
hehehehe

All it need is a "Downfall" parody clip about IN-37 and I-69.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.