News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: bmeiser on January 12, 2018, 03:53:27 PM
Your age explains your comments. I'll leave you alone.

He's not really 9. He just acts like it. Sometimes you would never believe he's an MIT alum.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tdindy88

Quote from: Captain Jack on February 10, 2018, 02:05:25 PM
Yep..I would strongly suggest taking IN-67 from Martinsville after construction begins. It really isn't a bad route, and at least gives a nice alternative. We didn't have that with the Bloomington-Martinsville section.

I remember some time ago, early 2000s I think when the stretch of SR 37 from Martinsville up to Southport Road was completely rebuilt and the SR 67 alternative was advertised along I-465 as an alternate route. Looking back at that construction, it was good that they did not rebuild the stretch from Martinsville to Bloomington at that time since that work is being done now. And by this point the rebuilding of 37 was long enough ago that rebuilding it as an interstate doesn't seem to be a waste.

My father visited the Section 6 offices late last year and his conversation with the people there indicated that the state is planning on putting up BGSs at the SR 37 interchange with 465 to direct traffic toward I-69 once Section 5 is complete. I believe he also mentioned plans on installing mile markers along SR 37 from Martinsville northward to 465 that continue the I-69 milemarkers from below. I hope I was hearing this right and would be interested in seeing how this looks.

Maybe they can start putting Indianapolis on I-69 north signs further down on the completed route, especially since we NOW know where Section 6 will be. I can't wait to see the signs get updated down in Bloomington as I image that the SR 46 interchange with I-69 may be the first time that we see Evansville and Indianapolis on the same sign bridge ever.

Life in Paradise

I would love to see updated signs along the Bloomington to Evansville corridor.  I know the mileage, but it would be nice to see the signs put up.  They should have done it for southbound, since Evansville isn't moving anywhere, nor is Bloomington northbound (at least as far as I know....perhaps they are moving further left).  Since the road is known to be put on the existing 37 corridor, the mileage to and from Indianapolis should be a given as well.  It still is a pet peeve of mine that "To I-69" signs are not normal when you get to the end of a stretch such as the end in Evansville, which could simply tell you to go south on US 41 and pick it up again.  There is one in Henderson northbound, but just one.

ITB

Here's a few pictures from last week that I have been remiss in not posting. Photos were taken February 13, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Tapp Road overpass

Looking southeast toward the overpass that will carry Tapp Road over future Interstate 69, with bridge beams now in place. Photo was taken February 12, 2018.

Another view of the Tapp Road overpass and future interchange; looking north. Crews are also working to complete the third and final sound wall project of Section 5, which will stretch between Tapp Road and Fullerton Road. Note as well the preparation of the median for the final segments of the median barrier wall. Photo was taken February 12, 2018.

Chambers Pike overpass work zone

Looking north toward construction of the overpass that will carry Chambers Pike over I-69. Substantial progress was achieved during the winter months, and beams likely will be set in March. The overpasses at Chambers Pike, Sample Road, as well as Tapp Road, are the only remaining over-highway bridge components of Section 5 that need to be completed and opened to traffic. To be sure, work continues on the new Liberty Church interchange in Morgan County and on the previously built bridges that carry 2nd Street (SR 45) and 3rd Street (SR 48) over the highway in Bloomington, but, essentially, these project elements are nearing the wind-up stage, or soon will be.

Closer look at the future Chambers Pike overpass; looking north.

Another perspective of the Chambers Pike overpass; looking east.

Long range view of the work zone in the vicinity of Chambers Pike; looking north. The road in the foreground is N. Crossover Road.

Overpasses–N. Walnut Street and Kinser Pike–and Signs

Looking south toward the highway from about a mile south of the future Sample Road interchange. The overpasses in the background carry, respectfully, N. Walnut Street (nearest) and Kinser Pike.

BGS and other signs near the southbound (and only) exit to N. Walnut Street. The yellow "No Re-entry ..." is a bit unusual, at least to me. How rare is it to come across a sign of this sort at an interstate interchange?

Another perspective looking south toward SR 37 (future I-69), from near the end of the completed western local access road south of the future Sample Road interchange.

Looking north from about a mile south of the future Sample Road overpass. Crews continue earth work to extend the eastern local access road.

Sign–State Road 37/Dillman Road

Sign for I-69 near the intersection of State Road 37 and Dillman Road in Monroe County, Indiana; looking north.

bmeiser

Quote from: ITB on February 19, 2018, 03:41:36 PMBGS and other signs near the southbound (and only) exit to N. Walnut Street. The yellow "No Re-entry ..." is a bit unusual, at least to me. How rare is it to come across a sign of this sort at an interstate interchange?

There's one on the west side of 465 at 56th St:
https://goo.gl/maps/rXhXr3rA92E2

Buck87

Quote from: ITB on February 19, 2018, 03:41:36 PMBGS and other signs near the southbound (and only) exit to N. Walnut Street. The yellow "No Re-entry ..." is a bit unusual, at least to me. How rare is it to come across a sign of this sort at an interstate interchange?

Is that a new sign? If so, was there not a "No re-entry" sign there before that?

Quote from: bmeiser on February 19, 2018, 03:56:22 PM
There's one on the west side of 465 at 56th St:
https://goo.gl/maps/rXhXr3rA92E2

Here's an example of one as a stand alone sign at Exit 134 on Northbound I-75 in Ohio:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8259628,-83.9864122,3a,75y,86.66h,84.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smejaT99BR_LPwmi9Vd9Yyg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

ITB

Quote from: Buck87 on February 19, 2018, 06:23:50 PM

Is that a new sign? If so, was there not a "No re-entry" sign there before that?

The sign appears to be a completely new. I checked Google Maps Street View dated October 2017, and it wasn't there. It's possible an older "No Re-entry" sign was in place previously and was taken down due to the construction. But I have my doubts as I've lived in the Bloomington area for many years, and I don't recall ever noticing a "No Re-entry" sign at the SR 37/N. Walnut Street partial interchange.

Captain Jack

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 11, 2018, 03:24:01 PM
I would love to see updated signs along the Bloomington to Evansville corridor.  I know the mileage, but it would be nice to see the signs put up.  They should have done it for southbound, since Evansville isn't moving anywhere, nor is Bloomington northbound (at least as far as I know....perhaps they are moving further left).  Since the road is known to be put on the existing 37 corridor, the mileage to and from Indianapolis should be a given as well.  It still is a pet peeve of mine that "To I-69" signs are not normal when you get to the end of a stretch such as the end in Evansville, which could simply tell you to go south on US 41 and pick it up again.  There is one in Henderson northbound, but just one.

I couldn't agree more on all points.

theline

Quote from: ITB on February 19, 2018, 03:41:36 PM

Here's a few pictures from last week that I have been remiss in not posting. Photos were taken February 13, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

[Edited to remove pictures not pertinent to my remarks - theline.]

Sign for I-69 near the intersection of State Road 37 and Dillman Road in Monroe County, Indiana; looking north.

I'm assuming that this BGS will be replaced once this section of highway gains the I-69 designation, with the new sign indicating the SR-37 is exiting. (No LEFT banner required then.) That should be in less than two years, if my guess is right.

Buck87

Quote from: theline on February 19, 2018, 10:21:37 PM

I'm assuming that this BGS will be replaced once this section of highway gains the I-69 designation, with the new sign indicating the SR-37 is exiting. (No LEFT banner required then.) That should be in less than two years, if my guess is right.

Both legs of that exit will be to I-69, so would SR-37 really be considered as exiting there?

Does Indiana do large arrow diagram split's? If so that would make sense here, an arrow diagram showing the 2 lanes splitting into 1 lane each way with "I-69 South, Evansville" on the left and "I-69 / SR-37 North, Bloomington and/or Indianapolis" on the right

silverback1065

Quote from: Buck87 on February 19, 2018, 10:48:31 PM

Both legs of that exit will be to I-69, so would SR-37 really be considered as exiting there?

Does Indiana do large arrow diagram split's? If so that would make sense here, an arrow diagram showing the 2 lanes splitting into 1 lane each way with "I-69 South, Evansville" on the left and "I-69 / SR-37 North, Bloomington and/or Indianapolis" on the right

they just started doing that recently: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6991702,-86.1070229,3a,75y,358.89h,104.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3w-qVz5f4YfMIJZj8AipqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

theline

Quote from: Buck87 on February 19, 2018, 10:48:31 PM

My mistake. I assumed that the vantage point here was looking south, completely ignoring the NORTH 37 sign staring me in the face. Now I understand. The sign may be just as accurate after the I-69 designation is extended, though an APL sign would be better.

Buck87

Actually what I had in mind was not an APL, but rather one of these:

Though perhaps that wouldn't be appropriate for this split where there's no option lane and both lanes become a single lane ramp. Do they ever use diagrammatic signs to show 2 lanes splitting into 2 single lane ramps?

ITB

On February 22, 2018, INDOT announced a major traffic pattern change for the northern part of Section 5. Lane restrictions and closures will begin to occur as soon as February 26, weather permitting, and will remain in place until late July. Basically, what is happening is all northbound State Road 37 traffic will be switched to the southbound roadway at a crossover point near Bryant's Creek in northern Monroe County. Both north and southbound SR 37 traffic then will be run side by side from that location on up to a point just north of the Liberty Church Road overpass and interchange in Morgan County, a distance of about 4.8 miles.

These changes are necessary to allow crews to demo and rebuild mainline bridges over Little Indian Creek and Jordan Creek in Morgan County, and to improve shoulders north of Fox Hollow Road in northern Monroe County.

This announcement heralds the homestretch of the Section 5 project. It's only 189 days till the end of August, the date INDOT has set for substantial completion. Earlier this week on Tuesday, work was underway at many sites along Section 5. As the weather warms up, the activity will rapidly ramp up. By the end of March, bridge beams should be up for the Sample Road and Chambers Pike overpasses. About 80 percent of the new local access roads that link into the Sample Road and Liberty Church interchanges are now complete, with work continuing on the remaining segments. As each local access road reaches completion, at grade crossings to SR 37 will be sealed off, making the road much safer to travel, as these crossings have been the sites of accidents time and again.

As many of you know, Walsh Construction has been tapped by INDOT to consult on Section 5. All up and down the construction work zone, the Walsh people and their trucks are very visible; it's obvious who's running the show. Also, for those not in the know, the three main sub-contractors building Section 5 are: (1) Crider & Crider, roadwork and earthwork (mass grading, drainage, etc.); (2) Force Construction, bridges; and (3) E & B Paving, paving. This is, of course, a basic outline, and the tasks each contractor is delegated may vary or overlap. There are, as well, many other sub-contractors who are contributing significantly to bring Section 5 to fruition.

Even though it looks like a mess right now, and significant traffic pains are likely in upcoming months, Section 5 is rapidly approaching completion.

Here's the INDOT Press Release of February 22, 2018:

Great Lakes Roads

silverback1065

INDOT is going to have a presentation on this project at road school next week, I'm going to try to go and see if they provide any new info not released just yet. 

GreenLanternCorps

Buck87

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 28, 2018, 08:48:15 AM
Another article on I-69 SIU 3, Section 6:

https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/indot-i69-section-6-cost-16-billion-140326/

Ha, I saw that link title and was thinking "16 Billion?! What the actual fu....<clicks link>....oh ok, 1.6"

Life in Paradise

To all of those naysayers who protested I-69 stating that US41 Upgrade to I-70 would only take 15 minutes more, the article here states that just the Martinsville to I-465 stretch will save on average 11 minutes.  I know I save at least 30 minutes on the trip to Bloomington (45 minutes with traffic on the two lanes).  This road is making a major improvement.  It's just too bad that I'm going to be near retirement when the road is finally completed.

silverback1065

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 28, 2018, 03:31:13 PM
To all of those naysayers who protested I-69 stating that US41 Upgrade to I-70 would only take 15 minutes more, the article here states that just the Martinsville to I-465 stretch will save on average 11 minutes.  I know I save at least 30 minutes on the trip to Bloomington (45 minutes with traffic on the two lanes).  This road is making a major improvement.  It's just too bad that I'm going to be near retirement when the road is finally completed.

so glad this route was chosen, the us 41 idea was absurd.

mgk920

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 28, 2018, 04:48:11 PM

For many years now I've been saying that I can easily see the US 41 corridor being majorly upgraded, but as a Chicagoland to points south route, not as an 'I-69 on the cheap' thing.  'I-41' to Hopkinsville, KY, anyone?

:nod:

Mike

Captain Jack

It seems logical. Until the interstates, US 41 carried all of the upper Midwest traffic heading to Florida. It is the direct route between Chicago and Nashville. Not only would it be beneficial to the cities along the route, it would also alleviate the overcrowding on I-65.

Not crazy about the I-41...I-61 seems to fit better.

thefro

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 28, 2018, 04:48:11 PM

I don't think it's absurd, but the I-69 route chosen serves Indiana much better than upgrading US-41 to interstate standards.  You get direct Interstate access from Evansville to Bloomington to Indianapolis (hitting Washington, Crane Naval, Martinsville and the growing suburbs on the S. Side of Indy on the way).

Evansville to Terre Haute to Chicago doesn't serve local needs nearly as well.  Not much else along that route except for Vincennes until you hit the Region.

ilpt4u

Quote from: mgk920 on February 28, 2018, 11:27:56 PM
For many years now I've been saying that I can easily see the US 41 corridor being majorly upgraded, but as a Chicagoland to points south route, not as an 'I-69 on the cheap' thing.  'I-41' to Hopkinsville, KY, anyone?

:nod:

Mike
I like it. I-41 on the Tri-State, down IL 394, over to US 41, then down 41/63 to Southern IN, but I'd try to branch it a bit East, and use the I-67 KY/IN concept between Jasper, IN and Owensboro, KY, on to Bowling Green

Maybe. Totally Fictional. Never gonna happen.

westerninterloper

I could see US 41/150 becoming an expressway, but not a freeway. Limited access upgrades around Sullivan and Clinton, as well as a full bypass of Terre Haute, would be an economical way to reduce travel times. North of Clinton, bypassing the few traffic lights would serve the purpose. A full-limited access highway between Terre Haute and Gary isn't warranted, and probably isn't south of TH either. My family lives off US 41 south of Terre Haute, and limiting county road access in those parts would be a real hassle.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.