Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

This highway is a beauty! Can't wait to drive it in mid-October!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

vdeane

Given the rush to finish the project, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to just grab whatever mile marker blanks they had on-hand rather to minimize the amount of work to make signage.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSR_317

Quote from: vdeane on September 26, 2018, 01:23:01 PM
Given the rush to finish the project, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to just grab whatever mile marker blanks they had on-hand rather to minimize the amount of work to make signage.
I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case either.

Other than those minor details, the overall freeway looks fantastic with all that fresh pavement & shiny new guard rail. However, given the tendency of INDOT to over-salt our roadways when winter weather is predicted, we'll see just how pretty that pavement remains come next spring. But for now it is looking great, and will be absolutely spectacular once the bordering trees begin to change color in the next few weeks! So take your scenic photos of this new Interstate soon if you wish to capture its maximum aesthetic beauty.

And at long last, Bloomington is no longer one of the largest cities in the country without an Interstate or U.S. Highway running through it. One could argue it's not been on that list for a few years now, since Section 4 arrived, but that part of I-69 never officially made it all the way to B-town's city limits. Now there's no doubt that the city of my college days is in the big-leagues, roadway-wise.

SSR_317

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on September 26, 2018, 12:50:56 PM
Hope the fall colors peak for your trip. Enjoy!

ITB

With the construction of Section 5 rapidly drawing to a  conclusion, here's a few more pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, September 30, 2018, unless otherwise noted. Remember, the photos can be expanded; just Right Click, and follow the procedures of your browser.

Interstate 69, Monroe County, Indiana

Looking north toward Interstate 69 from the Kinser Pike overpass in Monroe County, Indiana. Work to stripe the lanes continues, as does reflector placement. Some drainage and utility work also continues in spots; note the small construction area adjacent to the eastern frontage road (background, right).

Looking north toward the overpass that carries N. Walnut Street/College Avenue. Just past the crest of the hill in the background is the Sample Road interchange.

Looking south toward the Kinser Pike overpass.

Another perspective looking south toward the N. Walnut Street/College Ave. partial interchange and the Kinser Pike overpass (background).

Long range view looking north from the Kinser Pike overpass.

Again, looking north toward I-69 from the Kinser Pike overpass.

ITB

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on September 18, 2018, 10:16:51 AM
Quote from: ITB on September 18, 2018, 10:03:52 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on September 18, 2018, 09:33:26 AM
The designation stops abruptly at the bridge? It doesn't even make it to IN 39?

That's right. Section 5 ends just prior to the bridges crossing Indian Creek, which is located about a mile south of SR 39. Northbound, there's a "Freeway Ends" sign up on the right hand side as the road bends toward the bridges.
I don't see a picture, ITB.

OK, here we go. Photos were taken September 23, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Interstate 69, Morgan County, Indiana

Signage, about 1/2 mile north of the I-69/Liberty Church interchange in Morgan County, Indiana; looking north. Photo was taken Saturday, September 29, 2018.

The eastern frontage, or local access, road, and signage just north of the I-69/Liberty Church Road interchange. The frontage road bows out at this location due to a small family cemetery, which is visible in the background when the photo is expanded. September 29, 2018.

Another view of the signage north of the Liberty Church Road interchange; looking north. September 29, 2018.

Looking south toward the western frontage road near the I-69/Liberty Church Road interchange.

Looking north from the Liberty Church road overpass.

Another perspective looking north from the Liberty Church Road overpass toward I-69 and the eastern frontage road. In the foreground are the bridges that cross over Jordan Creek.

Near the bridge that carries SR 37 over Indian Creek in southern Morgan County, signage marks the current end of the newly designated northbound stretch of Interstate 69.

Different view of the signage designating the end of northbound Interstate 69 in Morgan County.

[/url]
The Liberty Church Road overpass and right-of-way fencing; looking north.

The facility for Section 5 contractor RoadSafe, located just north of the Liberty Church Road interchange.

And, one last one, looking north from the Liberty Church Road interchange.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ITB on October 01, 2018, 03:59:07 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on September 18, 2018, 10:16:51 AM
Quote from: ITB on September 18, 2018, 10:03:52 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on September 18, 2018, 09:33:26 AM
The designation stops abruptly at the bridge? It doesn't even make it to IN 39?

That's right. Section 5 ends just prior to the bridges crossing Indian Creek, which is located about a mile south of SR 39. Northbound, there's a "Freeway Ends" sign up on the right hand side as the road bends toward the bridges.
I don't see a picture, ITB.

OK, here we go. Photos were taken September 23, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Interstate 69, Morgan County, Indiana

Signage, about 1/2 mile north of the I-69/Liberty Church interchange in Morgan County, Indiana; looking north. Photo was taken Saturday, September 29, 2018.

Are there any SB I-69 signs between the location of the "End Freeway" signs and the Liberty Church interchange?

GreenLanternCorps

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on October 02, 2018, 07:46:15 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 01, 2018, 07:11:17 PM
Quote from: ITB on October 01, 2018, 02:33:06 PM

This sign, though, is not.

I doN't see aNythiNg wroNg with it...
I do. The “No” is slightly higher than “rth”

Also I’m driving the road Friday.

Henry

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 02, 2018, 09:44:37 AM

I do. The "No"  is slightly higher than "rth"

Also I'm driving the road Friday.
I too prefer the letters to be the same height. Or at the very least, match the height of "o" with that of "rth".
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

codyg1985

Quote from: SSR_317 on September 25, 2018, 05:03:06 PM
Quote from: ITB on September 23, 2018, 03:45:47 PM

Here's a few photos of the I-69/SR 45/46 interchange. They were taken September 15, 2018, two days before SR 37 was officially designated Interstate 69.

Long range perspective looking north toward the SR 45/46 interchange. Mile marker 119.5 is on the right.
Okay, somebody at INDOT needs to explain why they allowed the signage contractor to mix different types of Reference Post signs there in Bloomington? Perhaps someone needs to give both parties a copy of the MUTCD and make them actually read it! Reference Post 119.5 (pictured here) uses a GREEN background D10-3a, while RP 116 just 3.5 miles to the south uses a BLUE background D10-4 sign (see further up thread). Reference Post signs are supposed to be CONSISTENT along a given route (MUTCD Section 2H.06 paragraph 05), and they have no excuse for not doing so on this brand new section of I-69! Also, aren't they supposed to use ".0" on the integer RPs if intermediate markers are present (MUTCD Section 2H.05 paragraph 05)?

I guess everybody is just happy to have this section substantially completed and couldn't care less at this point about such glaring errors in the technical details.

The Louisville East End bridge features a mix between green fractional mile marker signs and blue whole number signs.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Henry on October 02, 2018, 10:04:36 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 02, 2018, 09:44:37 AM

I do. The "No"  is slightly higher than "rth"

Also I'm driving the road Friday.
I too prefer the letters to be the same height. Or at the very least, match the height of "o" with that of "rth".
It was a joke...

SSR_317

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 02, 2018, 10:35:46 AM

The Louisville East End bridge features a mix between green fractional mile marker signs and blue whole number signs.
Not at all surprised to learn that, since INDOT was in charge of the project (even to the point of Indiana taxpayers having to pay to build an unnecessary tunnel on Kentucky soil).

hoosierguy

The substantial completion date is TBD, maybe in a couple of weeks per INDOT. I don't understand how it takes so long to stripe the lanes and be done with it.

https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/indot-no-date-for-substantial-completion-of-i-69-section-5.php

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: SSR_317 on September 26, 2018, 04:23:16 PM
Driving tomorrow, so I hope so! Thank you!

So is the highway pretty much done around Bloomington?

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 05, 2018, 09:18:18 AM
Quote from: SSR_317 on September 26, 2018, 04:23:16 PM
Driving tomorrow, so I hope so! Thank you!

So is the highway pretty much done around Bloomington?
Just drove it! I can say the highway is pretty much complete. There's still barrels out but they'll probably be gone within a few weeks.

SSR_317

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 06, 2018, 01:12:39 PM

Just drove it! I can say the highway is pretty much complete. There's still barrels out but they'll probably be gone within a few weeks.
Will those barrels be removed before or after the snowplows run over them? That is, of course, assuming we get any snow this winter.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: SSR_317 on October 06, 2018, 02:01:32 PM

Will those barrels be removed before or after the snowplows run over them? That is, of course, assuming we get any snow this winter.

Be careful what you wish for...

edwaleni

Quote from: SSR_317 on October 06, 2018, 02:01:32 PM

Under current global warming thinking we should have record snows this winter. Coldest ever!   :hmmm:

hoosierguy

Quote from: edwaleni on October 06, 2018, 02:41:36 PM

Under current global warming thinking we should have record snows this winter. Coldest ever!   :hmmm:

It is almost 90 degrees....in Bloomington....in October.

mgk920

Quote from: hoosierguy on October 06, 2018, 04:58:44 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on October 06, 2018, 02:41:36 PM

It is almost 90 degrees....in Bloomington....in October.

You mean that we're finally going to be getting that new Ice Age that we were promised when I was in school???

*KEWL!!!*

:cool:

Mike

seicer

Well, with a warmer winter, and the moisture that typically comes with a warmer climate (exception: deserts), you actually get increased snowfall when the temperatures are at freezing or just below.

2trailertrucker

How is the transition from I-69 to SR 37 south of Martinsville?
Does it flow steady or are there backups?

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on October 07, 2018, 06:24:23 AM
How is the transition from I-69 to SR 37 south of Martinsville?
Does it flow steady or are there backups?

The actual transition point is just South of the SR 37 / SR 39 Interchange so there are, to the best of my knowledge, no stoplights or signals to cause a slowdown, aside from the signs for a 55mph speed limit change.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.