News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: Henry on October 29, 2020, 10:25:45 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on October 28, 2020, 03:20:46 PM
Wasn't I-69 south of Indianapolis a more recent development than that (making the stubs at the I-65/70 split the planned terminus of the route), or was an expressway following SR 37 into downtown from the south actually proposed at one point?
I-69's southern extension wasn't planned until 1998, but if the original Binford alignment had been built, then the most logical thing to do would be to continue through downtown until it met I-465 again. I wouldn't be surprised if an IN 37 expressway upgrade had been in the works to complement the northeastern proposal.

It wouldn't surprise me if Indiana had a non-I-69 freeway proposal in the 1960's and early 1970's for the Indy-Evansville corridor.  It seems like most states had supplemental freeway/expressway plans back then, but only a few of them (such as Illinois and Iowa) have had much information make it online.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 31, 2020, 11:59:43 AM
Quote from: Henry on October 29, 2020, 10:25:45 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on October 28, 2020, 03:20:46 PM
Wasn't I-69 south of Indianapolis a more recent development than that (making the stubs at the I-65/70 split the planned terminus of the route), or was an expressway following SR 37 into downtown from the south actually proposed at one point?
I-69's southern extension wasn't planned until 1998, but if the original Binford alignment had been built, then the most logical thing to do would be to continue through downtown until it met I-465 again. I wouldn't be surprised if an IN 37 expressway upgrade had been in the works to complement the northeastern proposal.
I-69 had been discussed in the 1980s and there was a proposal in the earlier 90s for a route to go to Indianapolis, similar to what was finally constructed, but environmentalists fought that, so they had to have the environmental impact statements again and surveyed different routes (more wasted money and time) and we did end up with almost the same route that we were going to have before.  All along these people kept complaining that we would save ten miles or fifteen minutes, over US 41/I-70  (which it will end up to be quite a few more miles than 10 saved, and about 45 minutes once the road is done-Indianapolis to Evansville)

It wouldn't surprise me if Indiana had a non-I-69 freeway proposal in the 1960's and early 1970's for the Indy-Evansville corridor.  It seems like most states had supplemental freeway/expressway plans back then, but only a few of them (such as Illinois and Iowa) have had much information make it online.

tdindy88

I was seeing an article this morning on the Indianapolis Star's website about the upcoming improvements to I-69 and I-465 on the northeast side of Indy. They showed a detailed video showing how the new interchange would appear. Even the signage looked very nice from what they showed. I was taken back by this proposed sign at what would be the point where I-69 south exits onto I-465 (after the split with the new Binford collector.)

Colored me surprised to see them sign Evansville on the NORTH SIDE of Indianapolis. Also noticed how they clearly do route I-69 on this part of I-465, for those who were still wondering about what part of 465 they were going to use. Other signs in the video only make mention of I-69 for northbound traffic which makes me believe that they are indeed cutting SR 37 out of its current multiplex with I-69, likely starting the segment up in Fishers.

Now I kind of wonder if we'll be seeing Fort Wayne on the signs for I-69 at the new interchange with I-465 on the south side?

cjw2001

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 09, 2020, 09:31:15 AM
I was seeing an article this morning on the Indianapolis Star's website about the upcoming improvements to I-69 and I-465 on the northeast side of Indy.
Here is a direct link to the INDOT video: 

silverback1065

I was seeing an article this morning on the Indianapolis Star's website about the upcoming improvements to I-69 and I-465 on the northeast side of Indy. They showed a detailed video showing how the new interchange would appear. Even the signage looked very nice from what they showed. I was taken back by this proposed sign at what would be the point where I-69 south exits onto I-465 (after the split with the new Binford collector.)

Colored me surprised to see them sign Evansville on the NORTH SIDE of Indianapolis. Also noticed how they clearly do route I-69 on this part of I-465, for those who were still wondering about what part of 465 they were going to use. Other signs in the video only make mention of I-69 for northbound traffic which makes me believe that they are indeed cutting SR 37 out of its current multiplex with I-69, likely starting the segment up in Fishers.

Now I kind of wonder if we'll be seeing Fort Wayne on the signs for I-69 at the new interchange with I-465 on the south side?

Wonderful news! also 69 was never not going around the east side, I don't know why people still think it would go on the west side. also it makes sense for the signs to say Eville, I believe the southern connection to 465 will be either done on on its way to being done by the time this one on the NE side is done. sad to see 37 bite the dust here but it serves no purpose anymore in between bloomington and fishers.

abqtraveler

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 09, 2020, 11:14:23 AM

Wonderful news! also 69 was never not going around the east side, I don't know why people still think it would go on the west side. also it makes sense for the signs to say Eville, I believe the southern connection to 465 will be either done on on its way to being done by the time this one on the NE side is done. sad to see 37 bite the dust here but it serves no purpose anymore in between bloomington and fishers.

I think it was always presumed that I-69 was going to be routed along the south and east legs of I-465, but this is the first thing I've seen that INDOT has officially made a decision to that effect. Up until this point, it was still speculation, but those renderings now reflect the official position of INDOT on how they're going to route I-69 around Indianapolis.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Life in Paradise

One question that I have mulled around in my brain is this:  even though the conversion of IN-37 to I-69 from Martinsville to Indy is still in the works, I-465 is a completed highway, so would you say that I-69 is completed down to the IN-37 intersection, but not yet signed? 

jhuntin1

I believe so as I think it must be a requirement for concurrent connections on new signage. Peoria and Cincinnati never showed up on I-465 signage along the I-74 concurrent section until interchange upgrades like at I-65. I had already played around with the prospective interchange in SignMaker and I posted Fort Wayne as a control city for its exit onto I-465 east.

ITB

INDOT has set up a new webpage to provide information about the impending closure of State Road 37 in Martinsville next year. Walsh Construction, the general contractor, has authority to close the road for up to a year beginning January 2, 2021. As the ground will be frozen in January and February, it's a good bet Walsh will wait until around March to begin the closure.

Link: INDOT SR 37 Closure webpage: https://i69finishline.com/closure/

Of interest, the Local Access Map uploaded to the webpage indicates that the Ohio Street-Mahalasville Road/SR 37 crossing in Martinsville will remain open throughout the closure. This is a change, and it's significant, as it should allow traffic from Martinsville proper to access Burton Lane via Southview Drive south of SR 37. Using Burton Lane, drivers will be able to reach the I-69/Liberty Church Road intersection, thereby avoiding Morton Avenue, which will be carrying I-69 traffic during the closure. The map also indicates the Burton Lane/SR 37 crossing will be open for most of 2021. These modest adjustments are good news for the folks of Martinsville who plan to head south on I-69.

Reconstruction of Morton Avenue and SR 39 in Martinsville is now complete; striping was undertaken last week. Morton Avenue is configured as two lanes in each direction. At the Morton Avenue/SR 39 intersection heading north, there is a double left turn at the light. On SR 39, the road matches the four lanes of Morton Avenue for a stretch, but narrows to two lanes as it approaches the railroad crossing. After the crossing, it widens again to four lanes near the bridge over the White River. So the northbound I-69 traffic pattern in Martinsville when SR 37 is closed will consist of a merge to one lane prior to the Indian Creek bridge on SR 37, two lanes throughout Morton and a stretch of SR 39, another merge to one lane due to the railroad crossing, before once again becoming four lanes near the SR 39/SR 67 intersection. To be sure, it's workable. Is it ideal? Probably not. Then again, detours are not generally ideal.

North of Martinsville, the official detour will utilize SR 67 and SR 144. Again, not ideal, because drivers will be encountering lights and traffic in Mooresville. For some, the detour may prove unwieldy and time consuming. Those who regularly drive between points south of Martinsville and Indianapolis will be feeling the pain. Some may try workarounds. Ahem! Centerton Road. All in all, however, the official detour is workable. It is what it is. The more vehicles that use alternative routes radiating south of Indianapolis, such as I-65 to either SR 46 or US Route 50, the better.

In Martinsville, west and south of Morton Avenue and SR 39 there are number of businesses and residences. With heavy traffic on Morton and SR 39 during the closure, accessing these locations may prove problematic. Left turns will be difficult and probably hazardous to attempt. Perhaps the only safe way will be right in, right out. Cumbersome, yes, but it may be the only reasonable option during periods of heavy traffic.

Going forward, when SR 37 is closed, it is important to acknowledge the first few weeks of the closure will likely engender confusion, irritation, and anger. People will adjust, but it will take time. It behooves INDOT to listen, be flexible, and make adjustments if deemed appropriate.

Next Wednesday, November 18, 2020, the forth contract of Section 6 is scheduled to be let. This contract is for the upgrading of SR 37 to interstate standards from Martinsville up to Fairview Road in Johnson County, with interchanges at SR 144 and Smith Valley Road, and ramps to complete the interchange at Henderson Ford Road.

Earlier this month I motored down SR 37 to Mitchell, Indiana, in Lawrence County, to take pictures of southern Indiana life. Here's a couple of transportation related photos:

Filling up a 1930 Ford Model A Pickup at the Sunoco service station on Main Street in Mitchell, Indiana. Photo was taken Saturday, November 7, 2020.

An Amish gentleman returns to his buggy and horse (background, behind the black SUV) after a quick stop at the 60's Eastside convenience mart in Mitchell. Photo was taken Saturday, November 7, 2020.

More Section 6 road construction pictures to come.

Edit: Minor edits for readability and accuracy.

sparker

Quote from: Life in Paradise on November 10, 2020, 11:45:55 AM
One question that I have mulled around in my brain is this:  even though the conversion of IN-37 to I-69 from Martinsville to Indy is still in the works, I-465 is a completed highway, so would you say that I-69 is completed down to the IN-37 intersection, but not yet signed? 

Technically, yes -- but it's pretty much a certainty that INDOT won't post I-69 shields or replace their BGS panels along the relevant segment of I-465 until the southern I-69 interchange and the approach to such is at least almost completed -- and even then the BGS signage for the I-69 multiplex would likely be masked until the connection is actually opened to traffic.     

ITB

On Sunday, November 8, I went up to Martinsville and Morgan County to check out the progress of Section 6. As I approached Martinsville in the late afternoon, I was surprised to see a crew at work paving the southbound mainline between the bridge over Indian Creek and the State Road 37/SR 39 interchange. Apparently, the construction schedule is tight and every good weather day is not to wasted. The crew was still at it when I returned as dusk was falling.

Work continues on the four new overpasses in Morgan County: Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road, and Waverly Road. Although I didn't stop for look-sees, the Henderson Ford Road and Perry Road overpasses appear to be approaching completion. Sidewall work is underway on the Wavery Road bridge, while the Egbert Road overpass still awaits sidewall construction.

Here's two sets of photos. The first, at the Egbert Road overpass, was taken Sunday, November 8, 2020; the second, the paving south of Indian Creek, Monday, November 9.

Egbert Road overpass

Looking northeast toward State Road 37 from the Egbert Road overpass in Morgan County, Indiana. Visible in the deep background (expand the photo) is the berm of earth for the approach to the Henderson Ford Road overpass (out of view, behind the trees).

State Road 37; looking south from the Egbert Road overpass. In the mid-background, indicated by the median guardrails, are the mainline bridges over Clear Creek. These bridges will be replaced and widened as part of the forth Section 6 contract, which is scheduled to be let November 18th.

Different perspective of State Road 37 looking northeast from the Egbert Road overpass.

Another view looking south toward SR 37 from the Egbert overpass.

Long range view looking northeast from the Egbert overpass.

Mainline Paving, South of Indian Creek, Morgan County

Paving the left southbound lane of the mainline with PCCP just south of the new replacement bridge over Indian Creek in Morgan County; looking northwest. It was a pleasant surprise to see the crew placing Portland Cement Concrete Pavement on this section of roadway. Gotta wonder if the whole Martinsville mainline segment will be PCCP.

Closer look at the paving operation; looking northwest. The crew was only paving the left mainline lane. Two pieces of equipment were used: (1) a material handler machine that accepted the concrete from trucks, which via a boom (pictured, right) conducted the material to the (2) spreader (not pictured).

Closer look at the PCCP spreading machine using the long range lens; looking northwest.

Making sure everything is exactly on track as planned. The wheelbarrow is utilized for concrete slump tests.

Applying the liquid membrane concrete curing compound (the white stuff) to the freshly placed concrete; looking northwest. Pictured, too, is the newly-built replacement bridge that will carry southbound I-69 over Indian Creek.

Signage along State Road 37 northbound just north of the bridge over Indian Creek; looking slightly northwest. At this location, the two northbound lanes of SR 37 split, with the left lane maintaining the mainline, while the right exits to SR 39. When SR 37 is closed in 2021, all southbound and northbound I-69/SR 37 traffic will be conducted across the southbound Indian Creek bridge (pictured above), and then straight onto Morton Avenue in Martinsville. This will allow for the reconstruction of the SR 37/SR 39 interchange and other mainline and interchange work along the Martinsville segment.

Another view of the material handling machine accepting a load of concrete; looking northwest.

One more of the spreader. The crew was only paving the left lane. Why both southbound lanes weren't paved at the same time I do not know. Could be that forming the lanes separately creates a deeper expansion joint, thereby allowing the roadway to better withstand the variations between Indiana's cold winters and hot summers. Just a guess. Anyone?

Edit: Swapped out a photo for another, similar but cropped; minor edits for readabilty.

rte66man

I have NEVER seen concrete delivered in an open bed dump truck. How on earth do they maintain consistency?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

csw

^My guess is it's a dry cast concrete.

As far as paving one lane at a time, I think that's standard practice - if the whole highway was paved as one slab, a crack that occurs in one location is able to propagate uncontrolled for long distances. Paving in multiple sections introduces natural joints that stop cracks from propagating, so if a crack opens up in one lane, it's less likely to continue on to the next. Maybe they're going to wait for that first lane to cure because the spreader/dump truck access might mess up uncured pavement.

GaryV

Quote from: rte66man on November 13, 2020, 04:45:33 PM
I have NEVER seen concrete delivered in an open bed dump truck. How on earth do they maintain consistency?

In many large projects like this, they have a concrete mixing station on site.  If they have "just in time" delivery, there may not be any need for the concrete to be mixed along the way to the paver.  And probably the paver machine gives it one more swish around before putting it on the ground.

ITB

It's fairly common in the United States. The amount of material needed for a typical road paving project is enormous, and, realistically, the only way to supply it is via open bed dump trucks, with up to a couple dozen, or more, on the job. To maintain consistency, the trucks have a limited time between picking up a load at the plant and arriving on site for delivery. The amount of time depends on the temperature and humidity. Temperate spring and autumn temperatures are better than the hot days of summer. Next time one sees a dump truck roaring down the road, it might be because they're carrying a load of fresh concrete.

Southwest of Bloomington, long stretches of Section 4 in Monroe and Greene counties were paved with Portland Cement Concrete Pavement. There were at least two portable concrete batch plants that were assembled and utilized by contractors. Other contractors used material that was prepared at a batch plant on Oard Road in Bloomington.

Section 4; Monroe County, Greene County

In southern Monroe County, Indiana, paving the northbound lanes of Interstate 69 with PCCP; looking east from the Harmony Road bridge. Photo was taken October 23, 2015.

Closer look of the above paving operation. October 23, 2015.

Paving the northbound lanes of I-69 near Hobbieville Road (overpass, background) in Greene County, Indiana; looking north. Photo was October 10, 2015.

Prior to paving with PCCP, dowel rods have been placed across the northbound lanes of future I-69 north of Hobbieville Road in Greene County. October 10, 2015.

A portable batch facility just north of the I-69/SR 45 interchange in Greene County. Photo was taken November 7, 2015.

Although not related to the I-69 Corridor Project, here's a video of a dump truck receiving a load of concrete at a batch plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qae7oDKCTas

I-55

Quote from: csw on November 13, 2020, 05:52:12 PM
^My guess is it's a dry cast concrete.

As far as paving one lane at a time, I think that's standard practice - if the whole highway was paved as one slab, a crack that occurs in one location is able to propagate uncontrolled for long distances. Paving in multiple sections introduces natural joints that stop cracks from propagating, so if a crack opens up in one lane, it's less likely to continue on to the next. Maybe they're going to wait for that first lane to cure because the spreader/dump truck access might mess up uncured pavement.

The I-69 reconstruction near Marion has been paved one lane at a time as well. You can see it on GSV in progress.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

rte66man

Quote from: ITB on November 13, 2020, 06:08:02 PM

It's fairly common in the United States. The amount of material needed for a typical road paving project is enormous, and, realistically, the only way to supply it is via open bed dump trucks, with up to a couple dozen, or more, on the job. To maintain consistency, the trucks have a limited time between picking up a load at the plant and arriving on site for delivery. The amount of time depends on the temperature and humidity. Temperate spring and autumn temperatures are better than the hot days of summer. Next time one sees a dump truck roaring down the road, it might be because they're carrying a load of fresh concrete.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say its not done to any great extent in Oklahoma because of the heat but I will pay more attention when I pass the next paving project.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

abqtraveler

They usually set up mobile batch plants near the sites where they're laying the concrete so it's a relatively short trip to transport the concrete from the production facility to the job site.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Georgia

the width of the dump truck compared to the hopper also makes more sense for continuous concrete paving options.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on November 12, 2020, 12:50:33 AM
I was surprised to see a crew at work paving the southbound mainline between the bridge over Indian Creek and the State Road 37/SR 39 interchange

Paving the left southbound lane of the mainline with PCCP just south of the new replacement bridge over Indian Creek in Morgan County

Just for clarity, was the paving taking place north of Indian Creek or south of Indian Creek? It seems like there's a contradiction here, but I admit I might be misunderstanding something.

Past that, great pics as per usual.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ITB

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 22, 2020, 10:25:11 PM
I was surprised to see a crew at work paving the southbound mainline between the bridge over Indian Creek and the State Road 37/SR 39 interchange

Paving the left southbound lane of the mainline with PCCP just south of the new replacement bridge over Indian Creek in Morgan County

Just for clarity, was the paving taking place north of Indian Creek or south of Indian Creek? It seems like there's a contradiction here, but I admit I might be misunderstanding something.

Section 6 begins just south of the Indian Creek bridges in Morgan County. The paving project referenced began on the southbound lanes near the SR 37/SR 39 interchange and moved south to the newly-replaced bridge (southbound span) over Indian Creek. Then, the next day, the equipment was shifted over the bridge to pave the short stretch of mainline south of the bridge, and that's when and where the photos were taken.

This map shows that little stretch of mainline south of the bridges over Indian Creek, as well as the new roads, interchanges, ramps, and soundwalls to be constructed under Contracts #1 and 2 of Section 6.

Courtesy INDOT Finish Line.

ITB

INDOT has released the official bid results for Section 6's fourth contract (#R-41542-A), which was let November 18, 2020. Only two bids were submitted. The contract has been awarded to a Rieth Riley/Crider & Crider joint venture, which submitted a bid of $345,736,027.96. This was slightly under the engineering estimate of $353,939,689.17. Walsh Construction was the other bidder.

Courtesy INDOT.

Link: INDOT Bid Results, November 18, 2020 Letting: https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/letting/archive/2020/nov18/20201118_Official%20Tab.pdf

This is a big win for both Rieth Riley and Crider & Crider. Both companies are well known and respected for their work on road projects in Indiana and adjacent states. Crider & Crider, as some of you know, built the I-69/SR 37 interchange. The company was a prime sub for Section 5 and has been overseeing the construction of overpasses and service roads between Martinsville and the SR 37/SR 144 intersection under Section 6's third contact. Rieth Riley is a long established, employee-owned firm headquartered in Goshen, Indiana, with several satellite offices and asphalt plants in Indiana and Michigan.

Links:

Rieth Riley https://www.rieth-riley.com/
Crider & Crider https://criderandcrider.com/

Note: This contact (#R-41542-A) is for upgrade of State Road 37 to interstate standards from the SR 37/Morgan Street crossing just north of Martinsville up to Fairview Road in Johnson County, with interchanges at SR 144 and Smith Valley Road, and ramps to complete the interchange at Henderson Ford Road. The location shown in the Official Bid Result, November 18, 2020 Letting (posted above), denotes only the second of the three segments of work under the contract.

Edit: Added note.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on November 23, 2020, 01:05:09 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 22, 2020, 10:25:11 PM

Section 6 begins just south of the Indian Creek bridges in Morgan County. The paving project referenced began on the southbound lanes near the SR 37/SR 39 interchange and moved south to the newly-replaced bridge (southbound span) over Indian Creek. Then, the next day, the equipment was shifted over the bridge to pave the short stretch of mainline south of the bridge, and that's when and where the photos were taken.

That's what I thought, and that's what's surprising me, since it appears from this image that the part south of the bridge was repaved, albeit in asphalt concrete, not too long ago. It seems wasteful to repave it again so soon even if they did change to cement concrete.

State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Does anyone know how fast those machines work? How many feet per day can they pave, assuming they hit no snags?

edwaleni

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 23, 2020, 04:18:36 PM

Does anyone know how fast those machines work? How many feet per day can they pave, assuming they hit no snags?

Per Gomaco:

http://www.gomaco.com/Resources/ps4000.html

The PS-4000 dual lane spreader can locate up to 120 feet per minute as long as the aggregate tray can be kept full.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.