Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on November 15, 2013, 09:28:47 AM
I-175 and I-375 say "we have separate interchanges".

Staying within Indiana, I-865 also says "hello".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on November 15, 2013, 12:29:06 PM
Until the new bridge is constructed, which will be years from now, I presume I-69 will take over the entire route of I-164.  Once I-69 is designated along the Pennyrile Pky in KY, I also presume that I-69 trailblazers will be co-signed with US 41 over existing bridge and across the Henderson "strip", connecting the two sections.  Once the new bridge is constructed, I would be surprised if a 3di is signed on the stub portion, even if it continues to be part of the interstate system as a hidden designation.

From what I'm hearing, FHWA may allow Kentucky to sign I-69 along the Pennyrile Parkway as soon as all the necessary improvements are under contract (much the same way that it was signed on the WK Parkway).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

sup http://route.transportation.org/Documents/Indiana%20AM2013.pdf
QuoteThe overall route length of I-164 is 21.39 miles. The segment of I-164 that is proposed to be eliminated, renamed and resigned as I-69 over an existing facility is approximately 20.70 miles long.
That's 0.01 miles shorter than I-878.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

monty

Just heard on the local news that INDOT is petitioning to re-name I 164 in Evansville to I 69.
monty

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: monty on November 16, 2013, 09:39:29 AM
Just heard on the local news that INDOT is petitioning to re-name I 164 in Evansville to I 69.

Isn't that what everybody had been discussing in the last 14 posts?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tdindy88

If INDOT were wise, they would have held on to the I-69 mile markers from the stretch of I-69 that used to be from miles 0 to 20 in Hamilton and Madison Counties and use them down in Vanderburgh County.

vtk

The plain green ones are already in place, no?  The blue ones with fractional miles and route shields would have to be changed from I-164 to I-69 if they exist, but I don't know if that type of reference marker is used in Evansville.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

tdindy88

Yes, the exit signs and green mile markers don't need changing, just the highway shields themselves. There are blue fractional mile marker signs and yes they do say I-164 so they do have to go. I was just thinking about the ones that were previously on I-69 from I-465 to Anderson that reflected the older mile markers 0 to 20 before they were changed to 200 to 220. Those old signs could be reused in Vanderburgh County.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: US 41 on November 05, 2013, 03:59:45 PM
Why not just add a 3rd lane from Tapp Rd. to SR 45 and keep the current interchange.

As far as Terre Haute is concerned NB 641 should not have to stop to get on WB 70. SR 46 (US 40) between Wabash and I 70 is going to turn into another 3rd Street. When 641 was planned they should've ran it up to Wabash.

Not sure how that would work considering the airport and considering who owns the land at the SE corner of Wabash and IN-46.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dfwtbear on October 08, 2013, 11:39:21 AM
Quote from: Indyroads on October 07, 2013, 12:08:38 PM
what I don't understand is why Indot does not utilize a frontage road system with slip ramps like they do in Texas. Highways in Texas with this configuration are able to (for the most part) maintain the smaller footprint. This could be particularly useful in the areas with commercial retail developments close to the highway in Bloomington, and on the south side of Indianapolis.
I have always wondered why most states have not adopted this way of building freeways.

Because it is more expensive.

roadman65

I am wondering if the US 41 flow from Chicagoland to Evansville will be likely to use I-69 when completed?  I doubt that you will loose that much more time even though you deviate several miles to the east where you cross I-70 at Indy instead of at Terre Haute 73 miles away, but also US 41 and SR 63 both have open 4 lane sections for many miles with a posted 60 mph.  You have only Terre Haute as the only slowdown as far as population centers while the rest is limited.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on November 24, 2013, 07:39:35 PM
I am wondering if the US 41 flow from Chicagoland to Evansville will be likely to use I-69 when completed?
Doubtful. It adds about 50 miles to the distance. I could maybe see using US 231 from Lafayette to I-69 (about 25 miles more), but that's probably got more slowdowns than US 41.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SEWIGuy

According to Google maps....Chicago to Evansville

via US-41: 291 miles, 5 hours 24 min.
via I-65: 354 miles, 5 hours 32 min.

Could the completion of I-69 shave off 8 minutes?  Probably.

NE2

The Goog probably underestimates speed on US 41.

mukade

I just noticed that Google Maps also shows the I-69 shield on I-164. I'd say we're 9 months away from that being signed in the field, but I guess that change, even though not accurate, is OK.

vtk

Quote from: mukade on November 28, 2013, 07:40:23 AM
I just noticed that Google Maps also shows the I-69 shield on I-164. I'd say we're 9 months away from that being signed in the field, but I guess that change, even though not accurate, is OK.

You could say that Google Maps is more correct than the signage on the ground.  Of course, that's not very helpful.  But I'd pin this more on InDOT.  If ODOT can put up hundreds of new speed limit signs in a single day on three months notice, why can't InDOT replace or modify a few dozen signs quickly starting about three months from now?

mukade

Quote from: vtk on November 28, 2013, 09:07:29 AM

You could say that Google Maps is more correct than the signage on the ground.  Of course, that's not very helpful.  But I'd pin this more on InDOT.  If ODOT can put up hundreds of new speed limit signs in a single day on three months notice, why can't InDOT replace or modify a few dozen signs quickly starting about three months from now?

Well, they are awaiting FHWA approval, so that is the primary reason for not doing it sooner. They did get AASHTO approval that is also contingent on FHWA approval. So this time will allow INDOT time to plan this as a real project seeing there are so many signs to change over: 9 interchanges on I-164 in 21 miles and enhanced reference markers every .2 miles. Also, they want to give nearby businesses a few months to update their advertising.

tdindy88

I'd imagine you don't need FHWA or AASHTO's permission to change speed limit signs either.

vtk

I forgot about the FHWA approval or thought it was done already. In that case, Goog is too early to be even theoretically, technically, beurocratically correct.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mukade on November 28, 2013, 10:05:04 AM

Well, they are awaiting FHWA approval, so that is the primary reason for not doing it sooner. They did get AASHTO approval that is also contingent on FHWA approval. So this time will allow INDOT time to plan this as a real project seeing there are so many signs to change over: 9 interchanges on I-164 in 21 miles and enhanced reference markers every .2 miles. Also, they want to give nearby businesses a few months to update their advertising.

Are they going to be dumping I-164 altogether?

silverback1065

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 28, 2013, 10:11:08 PM
Quote from: mukade on November 28, 2013, 10:05:04 AM

Are they going to be dumping I-164 altogether?
yes

thefro

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20131201/NEWS01/312010039/1001/I-69-work-readies-ground-paving

A construction update on Section 4.  Seems as if it's up to the weather as to whether the whole section opens in 2014 or early 2015.

QuoteWork on the next phase of Interstate 69, a 27-mile stretch between Bloomington and Crane, Ind., is in full swing – but that doesn't mean any asphalt is being laid.

Instead, workers are doing "dirt work"  – the kind of dirty work necessary when you build what the Indiana Department of Transportation calls a new-terrain interstate.

"You're moving the dirt that's in its place and getting it to a specific elevation, so you may have to cut down hills or fill in valley areas,"  said INDOT spokeswoman Cher Elliott. "So that way, when they pour the concrete for the roadway, it is at a certain elevation. It's the moving of the dirt to smooth it out. We don't just plane it off. We have a lot of compacting work that has to take place so that (the dirt) is established and solid before we put the road on top of it.

"We won't see actual mainline pavement being poured until sometime next year,"  she told the Evansville Couirer & Press.

This section of I-69 will be completed late next year or early 2015, with weather conditions being the determining factor.

Also, they're going to try to get some more federal money.

QuoteU.S. Rep. Larry Bucshon, who represents Indiana's 8th District, said he is in close touch with INDOT and Gov. Mike Pence's office about I-69's overall progress. Bucshon and several other House members in September launched the bipartisan Interstate 69 Congressional Caucus to tout the strategic importance of I-69 as a freight corridor.

Bucshon said he drove past the section between Crane and Bloomington on Tuesday, reporting no apparent problems with the work ongoing.

The second-term congressman holds out hope that he can get federal money for I-69 construction next year.

"One thing that will be important is that, at the federal level we're going to be working on a new highway bill again, starting in January,"  Bucshon said. "Hopefully, we'll make sure we continue to secure Indiana's share of the federal highway money that some wish could be used for I-69."

andy

Same article at

http://indianaeconomicdigest.com/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=206&ArticleID=72289

Not much real information, I think Evansville just wants to make sure no one forgets about the project.

mukade

Another status link:

For the past year motorists driving south on I-69 have been able to nearly reach the Ohio River before running out of highway, but the brakes come on quickly when people hit the Crane exit going north. The Indiana Department of Transportation is working on section 4 linking Crane to State Road 37 at Bloomington, but those making the northern trip are still running on curvy 2-lane roads through the construction zone.
"Section 4 is still pretty close to being on schedule,"  said Cher Elliott with INDOT, "but everyone is anxious for the next section to open."

Full article: Current construction on I-69 creating unique challenges (Indiana Economic Digest)

theline

The Indiana Economic Digest article confirms that weather will determine if the whole section to Bloomington can open by the end of 2014, but it also hints that there may be a partial opening:
Quote"We planned to open the highway to Bloomington by the end of 2014,"  said [INDOT spokesperson Cher] Elliott. "That really is going to depend on the terrain, weather, materials and equipment. We know some of it will open in 2014, but some of it may extend into 2015."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.