News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 12, 2021, 02:57:55 PM
^ He said "for" strangers, as in, us, the road community.
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 12, 2021, 02:17:46 PM
^^^^ just ask yourself, what's more important, taking photos online for strangers instead of spending time with friends and family or complaining about others taking photos instead of spending time with friends and family.

:-D ah my mistake. o well i enjoy the photos!

triplemultiplex

This is probably the most well-documented ongoing project on this forum.  Hell, 15 years ago I think this thread inspired me to go on a few photo sprees in my area for a while.
And it's still rolling.

Frankly, it'll be a sad day when it's all done and we don't get a splurge of photos every couple of weeks from ITB.  You'll need a new project to document the shit out of, man!
(Maybe they'll start the OH river bridge just in time. ;) )
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

zzcarp

As far as I'm concerned, ITB is the gold standard for how to document a road project. I certainly model my paltry construction posts after his.

I've been watching the ideas and planning for the I-69 extension for my entire adult life. I remember driving the long slog down IN 37 from Indianapolis to Bloomington for my band fraternity conference in 2002 and thinking that this really needed to be I-69 and a freeway. And thanks to ITB for documenting this transformation-this road geek appreciates the heck out of it!
So many miles and so many roads

Thegeet

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 12, 2021, 01:03:35 PM
Just ask yourself, what more important, spending time with family and friends, or taking photos for random strangers  (emphasis on strange) on the internet?
Where did he even say he was visiting family?

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Thegeet on November 13, 2021, 10:29:30 AM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 12, 2021, 01:03:35 PM
Just ask yourself, what more important, spending time with family and friends, or taking photos for random strangers  (emphasis on strange) on the internet?
Where did he even say he was visiting family?
Hopefully we random strangers become friends based upon our shared interest.  We all take time out of our lives to spend on things outside of "spending time with family and friends" such perhaps as getting on boards and reviewing posts and posting our own....Ooops.  Guilty.

GreenLanternCorps

Never have i had a one line joke generate so much discussion...

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 13, 2021, 08:19:45 PM
First time for everything.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: zzcarp on November 12, 2021, 11:50:17 PM
I've been watching the ideas and planning for the I-69 extension for my entire adult life. I remember driving the long slog down IN 37 from Indianapolis to Bloomington for my band fraternity conference in 2002 and thinking that this really needed to be I-69 and a freeway.

You're lucky.  I grew up in Bloomington and remember the longer slog down 37 when it was only 2 lanes, and it (as well as 45, 46, and 48) went through the city.  The west bypass that is now I-69 opened right about the time I got my drivers license, in 1972.  Two-lane 37 was one of the most dangerous highways in the state.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Scott5114

It didn't come off as a joke to me, it came off as criticizing him for using his time to do something he enjoys (and which all of us benefit from).

I've never been to this part of Indiana but I check this thread regularly. You don't really get to see the step-by-step nitty gritty of Interstate construction anywhere else.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

edwaleni

Some kind of emoji or notation that you were being sarcastic probably would have abated the discussion.

Sometimes what we are typing in our head does not come across the same in someone else's.

bmeiser

If it helps, I understood it was a joke.

sprjus4

Quote from: bmeiser on November 14, 2021, 09:23:35 AM
If it helps, I understood it was a joke.
Same here.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on November 07, 2021, 05:13:02 PM

Over the weekend I took some more photos of construction in Martinsville. Crews are working long days to move this project toward its conclusion. On Saturday, two asphalt paving teams were going at it, plus work was vigorously continuing to finish removing the surcharge material near the future I-69/State Road 252 interchange. There's still a lot of work to be done, but significant progress is clearly evident.

Photos were taken Friday, November 5, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

One more looking south from the SR 44 overpass with dust billowing across the work zone.

More to come.

It's a "Hoosier Haboob"!

CtrlAltDel

What's up with these repeating "skid marks"? I know they're related to paving somehow, but what exactly causes them? I can't really recall seeing them before.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

bmeiser

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 14, 2021, 04:53:26 PM
What's up with these repeating "skid marks"? I know they're related to paving somehow, but what exactly causes them? I can't really recall seeing them before.

Wondering if it's related to the saw cutting machine? I noticed those in one of ITBs earlier posts while they were saw cutting and they seemed to stop at the machine. 

ITB

^^^
The track marks on the concrete slab are from the joint cutting machine being repositioned to cut another joint. Note how consistent the spacing is between the markings. After a joint has been cut, the operator retracts the blade and pulls the machine back diagonally to reposition for another cut. Due to the residue of the curing compound, the machine's tracks are more evident on the newly paved area.

On the matter of whether the Martinsville segment will be substantially completed and opened to traffic by the end of year, as some have wondered – yes! in all likelihood, it will. No doubt the schedule is tight, and with each passing day, the cold air increasingly becomes a challenge. But there should be more than enough temperate days in the next month or so to complete all necessary paving, both concrete and asphalt. In south-central Indiana, the ground doesn't freeze until mid-January – a big plus construction wise – that is, unless there's a major arctic blast in either late November or early December, which is always a possibility, but a remote one. Usually, it just doesn't get really cold in the south-central region south of Indianapolis until January. Even if a significant cold snap does hit, construction probably will still move forward using concrete admixtures, and covering that placed material with either insulation blankets or perhaps straw and burlap. Ever hear of antifreeze concrete? Just look up the phrase "antifreeze admixture concrete." However, these extra steps may not be necessary, as there just isn't all that much asphalt and concrete paving remaining to do in the Martinsville segment.

Over the past 20 years, significant technological strides have been made in both concrete and asphalt paving that extend the construction season in many areas. In Indiana, the construction season is approaching 10 months, from March through December. Admixtures to concrete, as noted above, allow pours and paving to take place almost year round, although many states have cold weather regulations, and sometimes require special permission. It's likewise similar with warm mix asphalt, which, instead of hot mix, many contractors will switch to as ambient air temperatures drop.

As far as the recent discussion above, let's just move on.

It's been more than six years since I began taking I-69 construction photos. As the project commenced and progressed, moving northeast from Gibson County, I keenly followed, frequently searching the internet for updates and pictures. But, disappointingly, few photos were to be had. Then I came across this forum and a handful of photos taken by mukade. It was just what I was looking for. So I joined. By then, construction of Section 4 was underway a few miles southwest of Bloomington, and it struck me I could simply drive down, observe the scene, and take some photos myself. So, using a basic point and shoot camera, I started to do so. Here's a couple of those first pictures:

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 4; Monroe County

Looking west from the Burch Road overpass in Monroe County. In the background are the mainline bridges over Breeden Road. Just in front of those, but less visible, are bridges over Indian Creek. Photo was taken July 11, 2015.

View from near the Hobbieville Road overpass in Greene County; looking north. July 11, 2015.

Another three early ones:

Mainline bridges over East Mineral-Koleen Road in Greene County; looking southeast. July 25, 2015.

Looking north from near Carter Road in southwest Monroe County. October 12, 2015.

Looking northeast from the New Harmony Road bridge in Monroe County. In the background, partially visible, is the then ongoing paving operation moving north. October 29, 2015.

And here's one of Section 5 as construction was ramping up:

Looking north toward State Road 37 from the Kinser Pike overpass in Monroe County. Work was just getting underway to widen and replace the mainline bridges over Griffy Creek, Beanblossom Creek, and Beanblossom Overflow. February 27, 2016.

During the past few years my interest in photography has grown. Of late, my focus has been taking pictures of everyday life and the people of south-central Indiana, its small towns, festivals, and so forth. The pandemic mask wearing, however, has detracted from what I'm trying to do, so instead I've been doing more construction pictures, which I enjoy doing anyway. It only takes 35 minutes from my driveway to downtown Martinsville, an easy back and forth on a Sunday afternoon or whenever I decide to go.

And since we've been discussing Martinsville, here's a few photos of the city and its people:

"Closing Time" – The Martinsville Candy Kitchen on the downtown square of Martinsville. June 28, 2019. © copyright/all rights reserved.

"Elephant Ears" – The Elephant Ears food truck on Morton Ave. in Martinsville. September 13, 2020. © copyright/all rights reserved.

"Four plus One" – Fall Foliage Festival, Martinsville, Morgan County fairgrounds. October 10, 2021. © copyright/all rights reserved. As they were unable to hear me, I motioned with my camera; they did some signing among themselves and then faced the camera.

"Fall Foliage Festival" – Martinsville, Morgan County fairgrounds. October 10, 2021. © copyright/all rights reserved.

"Saturday Afternoon Ride" – Martinsville © copyright/all rights reserved.

I took some more construction photos late last week, and I'll post a set or two soon. From the beginning it's been my intent to share both here and on Flickr. For those of you who find them worthwhile, thank you for your appreciation and support.

silverback1065

ITB

Here's another batch of construction pics. Photos were taken Friday, November 12, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south from the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville. After final adjustments to the slipform paver, paving commenced on the remaining strip just north of the southbound mainline bridge over State Road 252/Hospital Drive.

Another perspective of the paving operation just prior to getting underway; looking southeast.

Looking southeast, the future southbound ramp from State Road 44 to the collector/distributor lane, which will run from north of the SR 44 overpass to the SR 252/Hospital Dr. interchange.

The construction area just south of the mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Dr.; looking slightly northwest. The lanes in this area probably will be paved with asphalt, but before that happens it appears drainage piping must be installed either in the median or under the southbound roadway. Paving should get underway late this week or early next.

Looking west toward State Road 37 from the Henderson Ford Road overpass in Morgan County, about five miles north of Martinsville. Plans are to switch northbound SR 37 traffic to the new northbound lanes in upcoming weeks. The crossover, which will be just around the bend, will allow northbound traffic to run on the northbound lanes up to the State Road 144 intersection.

Different perspective looking southwest from the Henderson Ford Road overpass.

The northbound exit ramp to Henderson Ford Road; looking west. This ramp will be paved soon, as will the interchange's northbound entrance ramp.

Truck traffic on the Henderson Ford Road overpass; looking south. In the short time I was taking pictures about 30 trucks used the overpass.

Looking east from the Henderson Ford Road overpass. The sky was heavily overcast most of the afternoon, but for few minutes a gap in the clouds allowed the sun to shine.

Another perspective; looking northeast from the Henderson Ford Road overpass.

Again, looking east from the Henderson Ford Road overpass. Currently, only the southbound exit ramp is open at the interchange, but the northbound ramps should complete and be opened by the end of the year.

One more looking west from Henderson Ford.

ITB

A few more pictures. Photos were taken Friday, November 12, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

The State Road 37/State Road 144 intersection in Johnson County; looking northeast. Note the piles for the eastern abutment of the future overpass that will carry SR 144 over I-69. In the background but not really visible, paving was underway on the new frontage road that will connect SR 144 to Stones Crossing Road.

The future entrance ramp to southbound I-69 from State Road 144; looking southeast.

Another view of State Road 37 and the SR 37/SR 144 intersection; looking northeast. In recent years, a number of housing developments have been built in this area, almost all of them east of SR 37. Building anything west near SR 37 is more problematic due to the White River and its floodplain.

Looking north toward the Egbert Road overpass in Morgan County from near the First United Methodist Church, located about three miles north of Martinsville. Near the crane in the background, construction continues of the mainline bridge over Clear Creek.

Longer range view looking north, with the temporary access driveway for First United and the Ozark Fisheries facility in the foreground.

Looking south from near First United. Access to both the church and the fish farm will be via the new Myra Lane overpass, which will be located just beyond the trees on the right. Full blown construction of the overpass will get underway in 2022.

Near the church, construction is underway on a large retaining wall. Forms are either being set in place in preparation of a concrete pour or undergoing dismantling just after one. I neglected to ask.

Another view looking south. Pilings for the Myra Road overpass, now capped with orange construction barrels, are visible in the background, while in the deep background, but barely visible, is the Teeters Road work zone, where beams are now up for the new overpass (expand the photo, right click, etc.)

And one more of the paving crew between the State Road 44 overpass and the new mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Dr. in Martinsville; looking south.

ITB

Here's another batch of photos. Photos were taken Saturday, November 20, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville. Using a slipform paver, a concrete barrier wall, which will separate southbound through traffic from the collector/distributor lane, has just been constructed. Plastic sheeting has been placed over the wall to insure proper curing as night temperatures are now frequently dropping below freezing.

The view in the other direction; looking south from the SR 44 overpass. On the left, the northbound collector/distributor lane is now paved, as is the northbound exit ramp to SR 44. Also, the remaining unpaved strip adjacent to the C/D lane is now paved with concrete.

Another view looking south. This more clearly shows the recent paving mentioned above.

Future northbound lanes of I-69 as viewed from the SR 44 overpass; looking north. The northbound barrier wall between the through lanes and the C/D should be slipform paved soon.

Another view looking slightly southwest from the SR 44 overpass. Discernible near the end of the barrier wall, but barely, is the paving crew and its slipform paver. The dry cast concrete was being delivered by mixer trucks, and I imagine at least a dozen were in use shuttling back and forth from the batch plant. Aaaagh. Tough getting a decent picture with the sun so low in southwest sky.

Looking northeast toward the mainline bridges over Ohio Street in Martinsville.

Another perspective. One strip has been paved on both the northbound and southbound lanes between the bridges and already completed paving to the west near Burton Lane. As the slipform paver is in position, paving of the adjacent strip appears imminent. When that completes, and it should be soon, work will shift to paving the shoulders.

Looking south from near the future Ohio Street interchange. In this vicinity, only about 600 yards of paving remains to be done (not including the shoulders), roughly evenly split between the northbound and southbound lanes at about 300 yards each. The paving crew might be able to knock that out in one day.

More photos to come.

AsphaltPlanet

Great photos.  On a few trips I have gone out of my way to check out the construction on I-69 when returning from a trip because of the great photos that you have shared on this forum over the years.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

silverback1065

i hope they dont drop the speed limit to 55 through here. but noones going that speed anyway  :-D

sprjus4

^ I think signage plans indicated 70 mph through Martinsville, with 65 mph closer to I-465.

Bloomington's 55 mph is a joke.

edwaleni

What are doing with Huggin Hollow Road south of IN-144? Will it be part of the frontage road or will they stub it off?

ITB

Quote from: edwaleni on November 21, 2021, 11:05:17 PM
What are doing with Huggin Hollow Road south of IN-144? Will it be part of the frontage road or will they stub it off?

It's been rerouted to intersect with Waverly Park Road just south of the future SR 144/Waverly Park Road roundabout. With the rerouting Huggin Hollow now intersects with Waverly Park Road twice, forming a rough semi-circle. To see the new routing, check out the maps at INDOT's I-69 Finish Line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.