News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

I am going to attach myself to this thread.

I am in the Fishers area at least a couple times every year, so I-69 is big part of my life when I'm there.

I drove to Bloomington in 2020 along the future I-69 corridor and remember seeing construction, so I'm happy to have found this thread as I wanted to know more about what was going on.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 09, 2021, 08:40:30 AM
Quote from: mukade on December 09, 2021, 06:43:59 AM
I-64 was re-routed southward after construction along the original route started in Indiana and Illinois. That is why US 50 around Vincennes is a freeway.

The story of the "southern alignment" vs. the "northern (US 50) alignment" of I-64 starts at p. 500 of the Purdue document.

https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2910&context=jtrp

Apparently the southern alignment was finalized after assurances to the locals that the US 50 corridor would be improved regardless of the shift of I-64 to the south.
Interesting to find out that with I-64 on the US 50/150 alignment, US 50 between Shoals and Cincinnati (document said east to Lawrenceburg, so I'm guessing they would have traffic feed onto I-275 there) would be upgraded as well, for St Louis-Cincinnati traffic. With the corridor moving south, using US 460 rather than US 50, the direct Cincinnati link wouldn't be needed anymore, as I-64/I-71 (and I-70/74 to the north for STL-CIN) does the job.

Rick Powell

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 09, 2021, 09:39:03 AM
The idea was to take as straight a shot as possible between Louisville and St. Louis.  I doubt planners cared about Vincennes.
I think there was debate on whether the route would better serve St. Louis - Cincinnati (US 50/150 thru Vincennes) or St. Louis - Louisville (southern route closer to Evansville) as well as first cost, which the southern route had an advantage in total cost thru IL/IN. Ultimately, both routes got something a little less than its boosters would have wanted...an improved US 50 that is incomplete end-to-end to this day, and an I-64 that didn't directly serve Evansville.

mukade

This is a technically relevant to the I-69 extension discussion: the December 8 INDOT letting included an item for the reconstruction and widening of I-465 around the I-69 interchange on the north side of Indianapolis. This would be the first phase of the interchange reconstruction. As is becoming very common, none of the bids were below the engineer's estimate. The only two bids were from Walsh Construction for $214M and a consortium of E&B Paving LLC, Rieth-Riley Construction, and Gradex for $174M. Getting this interchange improved in the next two years is an important part of the I-69 extension as this stretch is where current I-69 will join I-465. It will then ultimately connect up with the new terrain road on the south side.

Last month all bids for widening I-65 from the Tippecanoe River to north of SR 43 were rejected by INDOT for this same reason, and AFAIK no new date has been set for that one.

Revive 755

The idea was to take as straight a shot as possible between Louisville and St. Louis.  I doubt planners cared about Vincennes.

But if they really wanted a straight shot they would have started with a completely new corridor running near Centralia, IL; Mt. Carmel, IL, and Jasper, IN.

I've wonder if the US 50 - US 150 routing was partially planned with dreams of a future spur off I-64 along US 50 to Cincinnati.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 09, 2021, 10:21:02 PM

But if they really wanted a straight shot they would have started with a completely new corridor running near Centralia, IL; Mt. Carmel, IL, and Jasper, IN.

I've wonder if the US 50 - US 150 routing was partially planned with dreams of a future spur off I-64 along US 50 to Cincinnati.

Truck and rail traffic between Cincy & St Louis was pretty steady and significant post WW2.

But the the builds of I-70 and I-64 split the truck volumes and railroad mergers/abandonments have made other routes more advantageous.

There was a lot of debate about how far I-64 should go because there isn't anything between Mt Vernon and Evansville.

Today, traffic going north/south is growing faster in Indiana than east/west hence I-69.

jgindiana

Quote from: jakeroot on December 09, 2021, 12:40:50 PM
I am going to attach myself to this thread.

I am in the Fishers area at least a couple times every year, so I-69 is big part of my life when I'm there.

I drove to Bloomington in 2020 along the future I-69 corridor and remember seeing construction, so I'm happy to have found this thread as I wanted to know more about what was going on.

This forum is great for me. I've been directly impacted by the I69 Project via a property acquisition and driveway realignment. I've followed this thread for years watching its progress. I especially enjoy ITB495's photos. I winter in Florida and I'm unable to see how things are progressing, and his photos are my link. When I was home in Indy, and they were right at the end of my driveway, I spent hours watching during the pandemic year of 2020. It amazes me, the amount of equipment and the earth that needs to be moved and shaped to make this interstate happen.

Thank you ITB495!

westerninterloper

Quote from: edwaleni on December 09, 2021, 11:48:19 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 09, 2021, 10:21:02 PM

Truck and rail traffic between Cincy & St Louis was pretty steady and significant post WW2.

But the the builds of I-70 and I-64 split the truck volumes and railroad mergers/abandonments have made other routes more advantageous.

There was a lot of debate about how far I-64 should go because there isn't anything between Mt Vernon and Evansville.

Today, traffic going north/south is growing faster in Indiana than east/west hence I-69.

I-69 wasn't built to facilitate n-s traffic that exists, but to connect Evansville first with Indianapolis, but then later with Bloomington, and to create better access to Crane Naval Weapons Center. OTherwise there is almost nothing of note, almost no interstate traffic (yet) travelling that route. There simply isn't much along the route from Indy to Memphis that 69 connects, except the Evansville metro. Evansville was long isolated in Hoosier politics, in part because it wasn't along a route to any larger cities. As the Purdue dissertation stated, Evansville politicians lobbied HARD to get I-64 moved south, even after construction began around Vincennes. By the early 1970s, Evansville had much improved NS/EW connections with the Pennyrile/US 41 4 lane from I-24 in TN, north past Vincennes, Terre Haute and Chicago. Evansville still lacked a direct connection to the capital, and a good connection to Bloomington; recall that the Evansville region didn't have a state university until USI was established in the mid 1980s - many students went to ISU and IU. So there were reasons Evansvillians needed better connections; they leveraged the idea of a NAFTA Highway, and Bloomington's growth in the 1990s to get I-69 built. I was living in Terre Haute and Bloomington as the highway was being debated; those are the issues I recall.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Weekly update of Interstate 69 in Indiana: https://i69finishline.com/on-track-project-update-december-13-2021/

Also closing in on opening 17 miles of I-69 in Morgan County.
Renewed roadgeek

silverback1065

Wow! So will 69 be signed all the way up to 144 by Xmas?

sprjus4

^ Is that highway portion going to be completely done, with all work zones lifted and a posted 70 mph limit, or still in a partial construction / free flow traffic mode?

ITB

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 13, 2021, 07:47:42 PM
^ Is that highway portion going to be completely done, with all work zones lifted and a posted 70 mph limit, or still in a partial construction / free flow traffic mode?

It's going to limited to 45 mph, with only one lane in each direction. Interestingly, in a recent newspaper report, Sarah Rubin, I-69 Section 6 Project Manager, noted the FHWA requires the signing of an interstate to terminate at an interchange, or in I-69's case, an intersection, that being SR 144. Sorry, but I don't have the link at hand.

ITB

Quote from: jgindiana on December 11, 2021, 09:17:52 AM
Thank you ITB495!

My pleasure. Thank you for the kind words and support!

Here's a few more recent pictures of the Martinsville segment. Photos were taken Sunday, December 12, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

The State Road 37/Morgan Street juncture just north of Martinsville; looking north from about 1/2 mile north of the State Road 44 overpass. Paving the last segment of the southbound lanes with concrete between the SR 44 overpass and aforementioned juncture has paused on Sunday, but will resume Monday, December 13th.

Closer look. New signage is now up.

Looking northeast toward the southbound lanes from about a 1/2 mile north of the SR 44 overpass. In the background, the spreader and slipform paver sit, ready to be started up to pave the last stretch south to the SR 44 overpass. With Monday's good weather, it's a good bet the paving crew aimed to pave all the way to the SR 44 overpass, getting it all done in one day. This paving job will complete the paving of the southbound driving lanes. When completed, the entire Martinsville segment will be paved up, with the exception of the southbound inside shoulder north of SR 44, which will be paved soon, but later.

The view looking north from the SR 44 overpass. Striping in underway and near complete on the northbound lanes. According to the INDOT's latest Project Update, the northbound lanes will be opened to traffic first, followed by the southbound lanes a few days later. Not visible in the background is the slipform paver, which sits just around the bend.

Looking southeast from the SR 44 overpass. The southbound lanes are now completely paved south of the overpass.

Sign gantry to be installed over the southbound collector/distributor lane about a quarter mile south of the SR 44 overpass; looking southeast.

The spot where the southbound collector/distributor lane splits off from the mainline; looking north.

Closer look. The area around the drain has been opened up, including slicing the barrier wall, to fix ... a drainage problem. To have such an issue crop up less than three week until the road is scheduled to open has to be giving someone indigestion. But, I guess, you've got to roll with the punches.

Another view looking north from the SR 44 overpass. On the right is the northbound entrance ramp from SR 44.

Looking south toward the SR 44 overpass, with the aforementioned drain rework in the foreground left.

Another look northeast from about 1/2 mile south of the SR 44 overpass. On top of the barrier wall are sets of dowel rods, which will be inserted into the side of the fresh concrete slab just after the slipform paver has passed.

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on December 13, 2021, 09:34:27 PM

Quote from: jgindiana on December 11, 2021, 09:17:52 AM
Thank you ITB495!

My pleasure. Thank you for the kind words and support!

Here's a few more recent pictures of the Martinsville segment. Photos were taken Sunday, December 12, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

The State Road 37/Morgan Street juncture just north of Martinsville; looking north from about 1/2 mile north of the State Road 44 overpass. Paving the last segment of the southbound lanes with concrete between the SR 44 overpass and aforementioned juncture has paused on Sunday, but will resume Monday, December 13th.

Closer look. New signage is now up.

Looking northeast toward the southbound lanes from about a 1/2 mile north of the SR 44 overpass. In the background, the spreader and slipform paver sit, ready to be started up to pave the last stretch south to the SR 44 overpass. With Monday's good weather, it's a good bet the paving crew aimed to pave all the way to the SR 44 overpass, getting it all done in one day. This paving job will complete the paving of the southbound driving lanes. When completed, the entire Martinsville segment will be paved up, with the exception of the southbound inside shoulder north of SR 44, which will be paved soon, but later.

The view looking north from the SR 44 overpass. Striping in underway and near complete on the northbound lanes. According to the INDOT's latest Project Update, the northbound lanes will be opened to traffic first, followed by the southbound lanes a few days later. Not visible in the background is the slipform paver, which sits just around the bend.

Looking southeast from the SR 44 overpass. The southbound lanes are now completely paved south of the overpass.

Sign gantry to be installed over the southbound collector/distributor lane about a quarter mile south of the SR 44 overpass; looking southeast.

The spot where the southbound collector/distributor lane splits off from the mainline; looking north.

Closer look. The area around the drain has been opened up, including slicing the barrier wall, to fix ... a drainage problem. To have such an issue crop up less than three week until the road is scheduled to open has to be giving someone indigestion. But, I guess, you've got to roll with the punches.

Another view looking north from the SR 44 overpass. On the right is the northbound entrance ramp from SR 44.

Looking south toward the SR 44 overpass, with the aforementioned drain rework in the foreground left.

Another look northeast from about 1/2 mile south of the SR 44 overpass. On top of the barrier wall are sets of dowel rods, which will be inserted into the side of the fresh concrete slab just after the slipform paver has passed.

Looking at the second picture in the series, I couldn't help that there's a sign that says, "Trucks and vehicles with trailers, use right lane." And right next to it another sign that reads, "Right Lane Ends." :-D
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

sprjus4

65 mph through Martinsville, but Bloomington is still limited to 55 mph?

abqtraveler

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 13, 2021, 10:59:22 PM
65 mph through Martinsville, but Bloomington is still limited to 55 mph?
That was the consolation prize for Bloomington dropping their opposition to I-69 through their city. They've now got a speed trap to help fill the city's coffers.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Ryctor2018

Curious that the Martinsville section is signed I-69, while the Bloomington section is signed I-69/SR-37. Now INDOT will have to go back to Bloomington to remove the SR-37 signs. I'm thinking the northbound lanes may open this weekend, while southbound earlier next week so the workers can enjoy the holiday break.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 13, 2021, 02:45:24 PM

It's likely.
https://www.reporter-times.com/story/news/local/2021/12/13/69-martinsville-ind-252-expected-close-near-69-wednesday/6491731001/

From the Report Times:
QuoteINDOT monitors and coordinates the work of two separate construction contracts in Morgan County. Crews are on track to make the connection and begin the opening process before Christmas for the new I-69 in Martinsville and the new Ind. 37 lanes north of Martinsville.
Renewed roadgeek

ITB

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on December 14, 2021, 12:43:05 AM
Curious that the Martinsville section is signed I-69, while the Bloomington section is signed I-69/SR-37. Now INDOT will have to go back to Bloomington to remove the SR-37 signs. I'm thinking the northbound lanes may open this weekend, while southbound earlier next week so the workers can enjoy the holiday break.

Very unlikely the northbound lanes will be opened this weekend. For one, work is still continuing on the SR 252/Hospital Dr. interchange and its roundabouts. On Wednesday, December 15, plans are to completely close SR 252/Hospital Dr. in the construction zone to facilitate the remaining work that needs to be done. The closure is expected to last a week. Wet weather is forecast to move in Thursday and continue into Friday, so the closure period may have to be extended. It is extremely unlikely the northbound lanes will be opened to traffic while SR 252/Hospital Dr. is closed. Only when the interchange is functional, and everything else is signed off on, will the northbound lanes open.

As for the southbound lanes, INDOT specs require concrete pavement to cure for at least 14 days before non-construction traffic is allowed on it. However, PCC Pavement may be opened earlier after psi and other strength tests have been performed and which exceed certain specifications. It was just yesterday that the final southbound drive-lane stretch north of State Road 44 was paved. The crew may have been able to pave all the way south to the SR 44 overpass, completing the job, but maybe not. If not, then they'll be out there again today, Tuesday, to finish up. That new pavement needs to cure to meet spec. One caveat to the above: As INDOT regularly updates its Design Manual, the 14-day period referenced above may or may not be still be in effect as of this date. It probably is, but there's a chance revised specs may have been issued recently due to improvements in concrete admixtures, and so forth. If anyone knows anything about the 14-day spec and whether it's still in effect or not, please chime in.

And then there's the inside shoulder of the southbound segment north of SR 44. That still needs to be paved as well. Now it's possible INDOT might choose to open the southbound lanes without the shoulder being paved, but that's somewhat unrealistic and would only be allowed, I imagine, as a last resort. In all likelihood, the shoulder will be paved in the next two weeks, and because it's a non-drive area, it can be partitioned off with orange barrels until it cures properly. I imagine everyone involved in the project would like to see the shoulder paved before opening. Also, the bridge approach slabs at the SR 252/Hospital Dr. interchange may not be completely completed. If not, those pours will need time to cure properly too.

All in all, the Martinsville segment is very close to substantial completion. Exactly when the lanes will be completely opened to traffic is still uncertain, but undoubtedly it will happen before the end of 2021 barring some unforeseen event, such as a major snowstorm. As noted in an earlier post, the northbound lanes will be opened first, followed by the southbound a few days later.

Please note: I am in no way involved with I-69 project in any way. I'm just a construction watcher who takes pictures from time to time. The above analysis is mine and mine alone, and may or may not be accurate.

mukade

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 14, 2021, 02:46:17 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 13, 2021, 02:45:24 PM

It's likely.

The Spring 2021 AASHTO applications document indicate they are only applying for signing I-69 from MM 135.61 to MM 141.21, and the document clearly states the following.

INDOT is upgrading 5.6 miles of ...

And then there is this text that is a part of any application:

The State agrees and pledges its good faith that it will not erect, remove, or change any U.S. or Interstate Route Markers on any road without the authorization, consent, or approval of the Standing Committee on Highways of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, not withstanding the fact that the changes proposed are entirely within this State.

So unless there is a subsequent application, I-69 should be signed only to SR 44.

tdindy88

I would guess that the SR 37 signs stay on until the interstate is complete. As pointed out the I-69 designation only goes to SR 44 this year. I'm guessing with the completion of the SR 144 interchange next year (I think it's next year) the I-69 designation will move up that way by this time next year, maybe even further north.

I'm still hoping some signage along the Martinsville stretch at the SR 44/252 exits reference Franklin and Morgantown respectively. I still am not a big fan of Reuben Drive and Hospital Drive. At least the latter does have a hospital on it so it makes sense. I wonder if having a "TO Morgan Street" designation wouldn't be a bad idea since that's more of the main street in Martinsville.

Rick Powell

That drainage "fix" at the barrier wall looks unusual. It looks like additional "slot drains" - metal pipe with a continuous top inlet section attached - are being added to the edge of pavement to pick up additional capacity that the square cast iron inlet doesn't catch, or drains too slowly. And I'm not sure why the bottom of the barrier has been partially removed and apparently set for re-casting - the shapes of those barriers are set to meet safety standards, and the only reason for removing and replacing is that something got damaged during construction, or they need to re-cast something into the barrier that wasn't there before.

Ryctor2018

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 14, 2021, 09:32:12 AM

I would guess that the SR 37 signs stay on until the interstate is complete. As pointed out the I-69 designation only goes to SR 44 this year. I'm guessing with the completion of the SR 144 interchange next year (I think it's next year) the I-69 designation will move up that way by this time next year, maybe even further north.

I'm still hoping some signage along the Martinsville stretch at the SR 44/252 exits reference Franklin and Morgantown respectively. I still am not a big fan of Reuben Drive and Hospital Drive. At least the latter does have a hospital on it so it makes sense. I wonder if having a "TO Morgan Street" designation wouldn't be a bad idea since that's more of the main street in Martinsville.

Unfortunately, that would mean SR-37 would "disappear" northbound after the Liberty Church Rd exit, with I-69 being signed only from Martinsville north. I guess I'm saying that could have been better planned to have 37 end at the I-69/SR-37 interchange south of Bloomington. Maybe this will be fixed when INDOT adds a control city to all the nb I-69 signage from Evansville to Bloomington, hehehe.

As a reply to ITB, perhaps then I-69 won't open before Christmas. Ten days wouldn't be enough time to complete everything. Maybe before New Years Day, but not before Christmas.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

GaryV

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on December 14, 2021, 01:46:22 PM
Unfortunately, that would mean SR-37 would "disappear" northbound after the Liberty Church Rd exit, with I-69 being signed only from Martinsville north. I guess I'm saying that could have been better planned to have 37 end at the I-69/SR-37 interchange south of Bloomington.
Will 37 end up being 3 disjoint parts?

• Tell City to Bloomington
  • Fishers to Marion
  • Fort Wayne to Ohio border
Or maybe 4, including that small part south of I-469 where I-69 will curve to the west?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: GaryV on December 14, 2021, 02:25:53 PM
Quote from: Ryctor2018 on December 14, 2021, 01:46:22 PM
Unfortunately, that would mean SR-37 would "disappear" northbound after the Liberty Church Rd exit, with I-69 being signed only from Martinsville north. I guess I'm saying that could have been better planned to have 37 end at the I-69/SR-37 interchange south of Bloomington.
Will 37 end up being 3 disjoint parts?

• Tell City to Bloomington
  • Fishers to Marion
  • Fort Wayne to Ohio border
Or maybe 4, including that small part south of I-469 where I-69 will curve to the west?

I think it will ultimately be 3 disjoint parts, which is not unprecedented. A couple other numbers have 3 disjointed segments.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.