News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: abqtraveler on May 30, 2022, 03:37:30 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 30, 2022, 12:49:16 AM
Except for the portion between Martinsville and SR 144, the lanes have been restricted to one lane in each direction all year so far just so they can finish with lane stripping and rumble strip installation. It seems they are really taking their time finishing that up. Hopefully they'll be finished next month and can open it up to four lane traffic again.
The long pole in the tent to completing I-69 will be the I-69/I-465 interchange (not sure if work has started on that yet) and reconstructing/widening the south leg of I-465 (which may be underway by now). Those two pieces will need to be completed before INDOT will declare I-69 to be "fully finished" from Martinsville to Indianapolis.

no way theyre going to start mainline work on 465 until north split is done. traffic down there is a mess because of it being closed!

ITB

Another set. Photos were taken Sunday, May 29, 2022.

Work is now underway at the SR 37/Smith Valley Road intersection in Johnson County, where a full interchange with two roundabouts will be built. With piles driven, and construction of the MSE wall started, the western abutment of the overpass is quickly moving forward. Rebar cages for the columns and foundation of the median pier also have been placed; looking slightly northeast.

Looking north from near the future Smith Valley Road overpass toward pile driving activity for the new bridge that will carry southbound I-69 over Honey Creek.

Signage just west of the State Road 37/Smith Valley Road intersection on a section of Smith Valley Road leading to a new frontage road; looking west.

Closer look at the early construction of the overpass that will carry Smith Valley Road over I-69; looking slightly northeast.

New frontage road that juts off north from near the future Smith Valley Road overpass and interchange; looking north. This road will cross over Honey Creek, continue north to Fairland Road, and then, further on, intersect with the western roundabout of the I-69/County Line Road interchange.

Another perspective of the initial construction of the Smith Valley Road overpass; looking east.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 30, 2022, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on May 30, 2022, 03:37:30 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 30, 2022, 12:49:16 AM
Except for the portion between Martinsville and SR 144, the lanes have been restricted to one lane in each direction all year so far just so they can finish with lane stripping and rumble strip installation. It seems they are really taking their time finishing that up. Hopefully they'll be finished next month and can open it up to four lane traffic again.
The long pole in the tent to completing I-69 will be the I-69/I-465 interchange (not sure if work has started on that yet) and reconstructing/widening the south leg of I-465 (which may be underway by now). Those two pieces will need to be completed before INDOT will declare I-69 to be "fully finished" from Martinsville to Indianapolis.

no way theyre going to start mainline work on 465 until north split is done. traffic down there is a mess because of it being closed!

Construction on the I-465 mainline won't begin until 2023... they are currently doing some overhead bridge replacements in advance of the actual widening work that will take place over two construction seasons.

ITB

And, finally, some photos of the construction zone where the I-69/I-465 system interchange will be built. The zone is quite extensive, stretching between I-465 in the north to Epler Ave. in the south. Although pile driving has yet to commence, crews continue the work to relocate utilities and to prep the ground for upcoming stages of construction. Right now the ground is soft, a little spongy-like. As it is treated, with lime perhaps, it will harden significantly.

Looking northwest from Epler Ave. toward the location where the I-69 mainline likely will be situated just south of the future I-69/I-465 system interchange. The location is a few hundred feet west of S. Belmont Ave./Epler Ave. intersection. While not visible, I-465 is located about three hundred yards beyond the dirt piles in the background.

Looking east toward Epler Avenue from near the location where I-69 will be constructed. Further on Epler intersects with SR 37, but that intersection is not visible because Epler curves northeast and then straightens prior to its juncture with SR 37. The location of the broad swath of the previous photo is indicated by the area of dirt in the frame's middle-left.

The main entrance to the construction zone from Epler Ave.; looking north. This area is adjacent to the area of the first photo posted above. The driveway pictured can be seen on Google Maps using the satellite view function. In the background are the smokestacks of Indianapolis Power and Lights' Harding Street Generation Station.

The view from the opposite direction from the middle of the construction zone; looking south. In the background near the treeline is Epler Ave. From a careful examination of maps, it appears the I-69 mainline will be pushed through where the dirt mounds are located (center-left). Likely, in the vicinity of the foreground, the ramp from eastbound I-465 and the flyover from westbound I-465 will merge to form the I-69 southbound mainline.

Slightly closer look, with a slightly southeast angle.

Looking west toward a section of the northwest quadrant of the work zone. This area will feature the ramp from eastbound I-465 to I-69 south, as well as the beginning of the exit ramp from eastbound I-465 to Harding Street. It's likely all these poles and wires will be removed and relocated elsewhere.

A broad perspective of the work site with I-465 in the background; looking northwest. Here, in all likelihood, is where the ramp from eastbound I-465 and the flyover from westbound I-465 will merge to form I-69 southbound.

Culvert under I-465, located in the northern sector of the construction zone; looking north. It is visible on Google Maps, satellite view, and is likely to be completely replaced as I-465 is widened and reconstructed in this vicinity.

Looking slightly northeast toward the northeast quadrant of the work zone. The signage is on eastbound I-465.

Closer look. The future exit ramp from eastbound I-465 to Harding Street will be located in this vicinity, as well as the northbound ramp from I-69 north to I-465 east.

Looking north from near the center of the construction zone. The culvert pictured above is visible in the background, center-left. This is where the ramps from I-69 northbound to I-465 westbound, as well as I-465 eastbound, probably will be constructed.

At this time, because piles have yet to be driven, it's difficult to say with any exactitude where the interchange ramps and flyovers will be located. So, please consider the mentions in the captions above as generalities not specifics. It won't be long before the interchange begins to take form, maybe this fall, or maybe next spring. We'll see. At any rate, work is proceeding at an accelerated pace.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ITB on May 31, 2022, 01:33:08 AM
And, finally, some photos of the construction zone where the I-69/I-465 system interchange will be built. The zone is quite extensive, stretching between I-465 in the north to Epler Ave. in the south. Although pile driving has yet to commence, crews continue the work to relocate utilities and to prep the ground for upcoming stages of construction. Right now the ground is soft, a little spongy-like. As it is treated, with lime perhaps, it will harden significantly.

This was along my route between home, my in-laws, and the track, so I was through there a few times this weekend and noticed the work had begun.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

bmeiser

Quote from: ITB on May 30, 2022, 07:45:04 PM

Looking north from near mainline bridge over County Line toward the future southbound lanes of Interstate 69. According to the I-69 Finish Line project update (May 23, 2022), all SR 37 traffic was to begin shifting to this new pavement sometime after last Thursday, beginning with the southbound. But that didn't transpire, probably because of a recent spate of wet weather. The changeover will likely happen this week, or if not, then early next. In the background is the new southbound bridge over Pleasant Run Creek.

Opening tonight! https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/319bddc

Wish they would have been able to do this on schedule. Drove through here to go camping in Kentucky this weekend and traffic was pretty slow throughout the entire 1 lane portion of the project.

ITB

Rendering of the forthcoming I-69/I-465 interchange:

Courtesy Indiana Finance Authority; Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team
Cover of the proposal submitted by the Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team to the Indiana Finance Authority. The entire WMDBT proposal, with certain sections redacted, is available for public perusal on the IFA website, and can be accessed and downloaded here. With the document in the public realm, the cover, etc., can be used for educational purposes under the principles of "fair use."

Overhead view of the area where the interchange will be constructed:

Courtesy Google Maps
The path of I-69 will pass in a northwest direction between the two quarries north of Epler Ave. The gravel driveway off Epler pictured in an earlier post is located where the "Cargo Securement Academy" is tagged.

Zoomed in view of the area showing the culvert under I-465:

Courtesy Google Maps

Ryctor2018

The camera's on SR-37/future I-69 now show the traffic shift discussed earlier: https://511in.org/@-86.21628,39.66469,13?show=incidents,normalCameras,electronicSigns,weatherWarningsAreaEvents,plowCameras,flooding#camera/531/1005091709

I had just missed this myself as I drove down to Nashville from the Chicago area, taking I-69 to check out the construction. On another note, more traffic is starting to use the road south of Bloomington. There were times when I took I-69 to Evansville when I would not pass a vehicle for miles, in both directions.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on May 31, 2022, 04:26:38 PM

Courtesy Indiana Finance Authority; Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team
Cover of the proposal submitted by the Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team to the Indiana Finance Authority. The entire WMDBT proposal, with certain sections redacted, is available for public perusal on the IFA website, and can be accessed and downloaded here. With the document in the public realm, the cover, etc., can be used for educational purposes under the principles of "fair use."

This is admittedly a bit off topic, but it is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that you use the phrase "courtesy" when you have permission to use something and not merely the right to use it.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

seicer

It could also signify politeness. Even when I cite things that are in the public domain (i.e. images from a public repository), I will use the phrase "courtesy of". I'm not sure it's more of a southern thing since that's where I am from and where I've heard it the most but it always stuck with me.

ITB

QuoteThis is admittedly a bit off topic, but it is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that you use the phrase "courtesy" when you have permission to use something and not merely the right to use it.

Well, in general, that's true. Courtesy, however, has more than one connotation, politeness, for instance, as in "As a courtesy he held the door open so the group could enter." Since I wanted readers to know where the image came from — a hat tip, so to say — I used the word "courtesy" to indicate that. Maybe "courtesy of" would have been more appropriate. Perhaps it isn't the best word to use, but I'm fumbling to find a better one.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on June 01, 2022, 02:42:25 PM
QuoteThis is admittedly a bit off topic, but it is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that you use the phrase "courtesy" when you have permission to use something and not merely the right to use it.

Well, in general, that's true. Courtesy, however, has more than one connotation, politeness, for instance, as in "As a courtesy he held the door open so the group could enter." Since I wanted readers to know where the image came from – a hat tip, so to say – I used the word "courtesy" to indicate that. Maybe "courtesy of" would have been more appropriate. Perhaps it isn't the best word to use, but I'm fumbling to find a better one.

You are admittedly not a publisher, and you are not creating a formal publication, but Harvard University Press, for example, states the following:
Since formal permission has not been obtained, the credit line should not include phrasing such as "by permission of"  or "courtesy of" .

What I've seen used in this context is "credit,"  as in:
Credit Indiana Finance Authority; Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

edwaleni

I read today that an Indy based organization is going to have their annual meeting in Evansville for the first time ever.

Why? I-69!

More members can get there faster from across the state.

bmeiser

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on June 01, 2022, 12:15:15 PM
The camera's on SR-37/future I-69 now show the traffic shift discussed earlier: https://511in.org/@-86.21628,39.66469,13?show=incidents,normalCameras,electronicSigns,weatherWarningsAreaEvents,plowCameras,flooding#camera/531/1005091709

I had just missed this myself as I drove down to Nashville from the Chicago area, taking I-69 to check out the construction. On another note, more traffic is starting to use the road south of Bloomington. There were times when I took I-69 to Evansville when I would not pass a vehicle for miles, in both directions.
It's funny you say that because once we were on 69 south of B-Town, my wife randomly asked "where are all the cars?" Lol

Pixel 6

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.facebook.com/RichNyeWTHR13/videos/540822994204901/

The County Line Road interchange is signed for exit 158, which sounds about right.

Great Lakes Roads

Avalanchez71

The project should have ended at the I-465 interchange.  Beyond that further south what a colossal waste of $$$.

edwaleni

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 02, 2022, 07:07:13 PM
The project should have ended at the I-465 interchange.  Beyond that further south what a colossal waste of $$$.

Indiana can choose to spend their money as they see fit. I would surmise they know their needs better than anyone.

Nothing happening on the other I-69 boards, so you decided to start slumming over here eh?

:poke:

sprjus4

^ It's better that someone from Tennessee is saying an urban freeway project south of Indianapolis is not needed. I would venture to say he has never driven this portion of roadway before, or at best once during an off peak time.

I've personally not driven the road either, however I'm not coming in here saying these upgrades are not needed. Clearly, the data says otherwise.

All he's doing with posting is looking for a reaction, as is a trend with his other postings on this forum

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 03, 2022, 10:16:20 AM
^ It's better that someone from Tennessee is saying an urban freeway project south of Indianapolis is not needed. I would venture to say he has never driven this portion of roadway before, or at best once during an off peak time.

I've personally not driven the road either, however I'm not coming in here saying these upgrades are not needed. Clearly, the data says otherwise.

All he's doing with posting is looking for a reaction, as is a trend with his other postings on this forum

Upgrading to freeway from Indianapolis to Bloomington is long past due.

Building the new freeway from Bloomington to Evansville may not have a huge amount of intrastate utility, but it certainly makes a lot of sense if/when it becomes freeway the rest of the way to Memphis.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Anthony_JK

Av thinks all freeways are wastes of taxpayer money. At least he's being consistent.

silverback1065

i've always said this. I-69 should end in Memphis. the portion in indiana was needed.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on May 31, 2022, 01:33:08 AM

Culvert under I-465, located in the northern sector of the construction zone; looking north. It is visible on Google Maps, satellite view, and is likely to be completely replaced as I-465 is widened and reconstructed in this vicinity.

I have always wondered about this particular culvert, and what function is serves. Was it originally built for drainage reasons, to serve as a wildlife undercrossing, or both? Or for some other purpose altogether? If anyone knows the answer, please share!

Rick Powell

Quote from: SSR_317 on June 05, 2022, 06:51:08 PM
I have always wondered about this particular culvert, and what function is serves. Was it originally built for drainage reasons, to serve as a wildlife undercrossing, or both? Or for some other purpose altogether? If anyone knows the answer, please share!
It looks suspiciously like a "cattle pass" of which some were built on the original construction of I-80 in IL. If so, it might be a candidate for removal if not needed with current land uses.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 05, 2022, 09:33:38 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on June 05, 2022, 06:51:08 PM
It looks suspiciously like a "cattle pass" of which some were built on the original construction of I-80 in IL. If so, it might be a candidate for removal if not needed with current land uses.
I was thinking an undercrossing for Amish buggies. There are some of those on the interstates across northern Indiana due to the large Amish population there.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.