News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Powell

Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 05, 2023, 07:06:59 PM
Latest timeline for the gap between I-69 in Vanderburgh County (Evansville) and Henderson County KY has it open by 2031 with the actual bridge not beginning construction until 2027.  I know that they are looking for ways to start that sooner, but you would think that they might have started the bridge earlier since it is the longest part of the construction.
The bridge is also the most expensive part of the project, and figuring out the financing and tolling aspects took a while. I think both states moved at a reasonable speed on what they could with the ORX river bridge project. With any luck, Kentucky and Tennessee will have their other sections between Mayfield and Dyersburg completed and signed as I-69 by 2031, but I wouldn't count on the TN portion.

NWI_Irish96

An idea I've been kicking around is, about 5 hours before new new bridge opens, taking off from Kinderhook, MI, and becoming the first person to drive end-to-end on I-69 in Indiana.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on April 05, 2023, 11:49:49 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 05, 2023, 07:06:59 PM
Latest timeline for the gap between I-69 in Vanderburgh County (Evansville) and Henderson County KY has it open by 2031 with the actual bridge not beginning construction until 2027.  I know that they are looking for ways to start that sooner, but you would think that they might have started the bridge earlier since it is the longest part of the construction.
The bridge is also the most expensive part of the project, and figuring out the financing and tolling aspects took a while. I think both states moved at a reasonable speed on what they could with the ORX river bridge project. With any luck, Kentucky and Tennessee will have their other sections between Mayfield and Dyersburg completed and signed as I-69 by 2031, but I wouldn't count on the TN portion.

It will be years before TnDOT redoes the US-51 ramps at Fulton, but that is Tennessee.

Having been over those bridges in Evansville several times, those creaky spans definitely need an alternative. I am pretty excited about the ORX project (as well as the new Cairo Bridge downriver)

ITB

To help visualize the construction at the I-69/I-465 work zone, here's a schematic of the interchange. Although I posted this image last May, it may be of interest to some to see it again.

Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team

As can be seen, the interchange features only four bridges – two flyovers of I-465; one for the northbound ramp to I-465W, going over the southbound ramp from I-465W; and the NB ramp over the eastbound exit ramp to Harding Street.

Walsh-Milestone, as part of its winning proposal, put forth 18 Alternative Technical Concepts (ATC). Some were mentioned in the proposal, others were redacted. It's very likely most of the ATCs, if not all, were accepted by INDOT.

Among the more significant of the ATCs was beginning the SB I-69 ramp from I-465W just past (that is, west of) the inner loop bridge over Harding Street. To make this work, the entire beltway in the vicinity of the system interchange, including the added lanes, is to shifted eight feet to the south. Another ATC was making the ramp from I-465W to I-69 south go under the I-69 NB ramp to I-465W. Previously, the design was exact opposite, with the SB ramp going over the NB ramp. Also, originally, both flyovers were to be constructed with steel girders, but because of the design change making one of the flyovers shorter, prestressed concrete beams will be utilized on the shorter span instead. Note, too, how the westbound entrance ramp from Harding Street to I-465W runs adjacent to the ramp to SB I-69 for nearly its entirety. If memory serves, that's another modification to the original design.

Walsh-Milestone is quickly ramping up construction. It took three tries – due to uncooperative weather – to shift the eastbound lanes to the westbound roadway, but last weekend it was accomplished. This will allow teams to rubblize mill the pavement of the eastbound lanes and demolish the eastbound mainline bridge spanning the White River.

And, finally, a shout out to FixThe74Sign for posting his dashcam screen grabs. Always nice to see new perspectives of the construction. Thumbs up!

ITB

A few more construction pictures. Photos were taken Saturday, April 8, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

At the I-69/I-465 system interchange work zone, pile driving for a pier for the northbound I-69 flyover ramp to I-465W; looking east. On the right is the ramp's south abutment, while eastbound I-465 traffic is to the left. The depressed gap between the driven piles and the eastbound traffic was just a few days ago the eastbound lanes of I-465.

Different perspective of the piles and pile driving rigging; looking east.

View looking northeast from near the northbound I-69 flyover's south abutment. In the mid-background is a pier (covered in white protective sheeting) for the southbound I-69 flyover ramp from I-465W. The towers of downtown Indianapolis are in the deep background.

Near the I-69/I-465 interchange work zone, the former eastbound I-465 lanes, where the pavement has been milled; looking west.

Long range perspective looking northeast from near NB I-69 flyover's south abutment. On the right are the abutments for the bridge that will carry the northbound I-69 ramp to I-465E over the eastbound I-465 Harding Street exit ramp. And, on the left again, a pier for the southbound I-69 flyover from I-465W. This picture gives an idea how large the construction site truly is.

Closer look.

The bridge that will carry the northbound I-69 ramp over the southbound I-69 ramp from I-465W; looking northeast. Rather than coming straight through here, the SB ramp will cut diagonally under the bridge, running roughly parallel to the abutment wall on the right. To get a better idea how it will be situated, take a glance at the interchange schematic posted above.

Same bridge as above, but from a south looking perspective. The Epler Avenue bridge, which will go over the mainline, is in the background.

Another view of the pile driving site for the NB I-69 flyover to I-465W; looking east. That's a good distance between the piles and the abutment, so we might see steel girders used here.

The path of the I-69 southbound exit ramp from I-465E; looking slight northweest.

And to change up for a moment, here's a picture showing some of the wind damage from the night storms of March 31, 2023. This is in Morgan County just north of Martinsville and the Teeters Road I-69 overpass. Up the 19 tornados were confirmed in Indiana as the storm cut through. Five deaths have been reported. One tornado touched down just northeast of the I-69/Liberty Church Road interchange. Although Morgan County and downtown Martinsville suffered some damage, it was the town of Sullivan in Sullivan County, located about 40 miles of Bloomington, where damage was extensive with upwards of 200 homes completely destroyed or significantly damaged. Whiteland in Johnson County also was hit by a tornado which resulted in damage to numerous residences and businesses.

silverback1065

isn't 69 supposed to be done next year? i.e. mainline complete?

Rick Powell

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 10, 2023, 10:49:23 AM
isn't 69 supposed to be done next year? i.e. mainline complete?
https://i69finishline.com/maps#construction-start-maps
All the mainline work is listed as either completed or under construction in all 4 counties including the 465 interchange. The only areas shown in blue (2023 start) or green (2024 start) are along 465. It doesn't hint at when the individual sections will be complete, but I wouldn't be surprised at the current pace if the 69 mainline was functionally complete by end of 2023, with the 465 work complete by end of 2024.

ITB

More pictures. Again, photos were taken Saturday, April 8, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

I-465/White River bridge construction zone in south Indianapolis; looking west. Included as part of the I-69 project, new bridges carrying I-465 over the White River will be constructed. Without actual knowledge, it's impossible to tell how old these bridges are. Although the piers and girders look to be good shape, they'll most likely be coming down. I say "most likely" because there's a chance the bridges will be rehabbed, then widened, but I doubt that's the plan. The new bridges are planned to carry four lanes of I-465 in each direction, as opposed to the current three.

Horses! About a quarter mile east of White River and the I-465 bridges, I was surprised to come across this scene in the Sunshine Gardens neighborhood. There were five total in the enclosure, three of which are pictured. I-465 is in the background.

The view from the Smith Valley Road overpass in Johnson County; looking north. Still quite a bit of work to do on the northbound lanes, then again, the 2023 construction season is just now getting into high gear.

And here's the view in the other direction; looking south. In this vicinity, there doesn't seem to be space for a proper median, so that leads me to think we'll be seeing a concrete barrier wall constructed instead.

Perspective looking south from the Smith Valley overpass using the long range lens. The SR 144 overpass and interchange is in the deep background.

Looking northeast toward the Smith Valley Road overpass from the future interchange's western roundabout. With the pink string line in place (next to the form), concrete will soon be flowing here.

Another look south from the Smith Valley overpass.

And another, from a slightly different vantage point.

More expansive view looking slightly northeast toward the Smith Valley Road overpass.

Another look north from Smith Valley. On the right is the MSE retaining wall to support the interchange's northbound entrance ramp.

Looking east from the overpass toward Smith Valley Road. In recent years it's become a heavily traveled arterial. You gotta wonder how long before it's widened to four lanes.

Another look at the White River/I-465 work zone; looking west. I would have taken some closer shots, but security was present – an off duty Johnson County sheriff deputy – and he said don't go down there, so I didn't.

And, here's one more picture of the pile driving rigging at the I-69/I-465 interchange work zone; looking east.

One more looking south from the Smith Valley Road overpass.

edwaleni

Quote from: ITB on April 10, 2023, 10:30:58 PM

More pictures. Again, photos were taken Saturday, April 8, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

I-465/White River bridge construction zone in south Indianapolis; looking west. Included as part of the I-69 project, new bridges carrying I-465 over the White River will be constructed. Without actual knowledge, it's impossible to tell how old these bridges are. Although the piers and girders look to be good shape, they'll most likely be coming down. I say "most likely" because there's a chance the bridges will be rehabbed, then widened, but I doubt that's the plan. The new bridges are planned to carry four lanes of I-465 in each direction, as opposed to the current three.

The piers were built in late 1960 and finished in 1961,

silverback1065

i wonder what the name of the old portion of 37 will be called between epler and harding.  :hmmm:

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

tdindy88

Just a thought: Epler-Harding Connector Road?

silverback1065

come on we can think of a better name than that !  :-D

sprjus4

Here's a unique name that has never been used before - MLK Blvd, Veterans Blvd, etc.

tdindy88

Here's another thought. Literally no one will actually have an address on that stretch of road.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 17, 2023, 08:43:55 PM
Here's another thought. Literally no one will actually have an address on that stretch of road.

There are no access points on that stretch of road. Not even sure why it even needs to be left there. Just remove it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rick Powell

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on April 18, 2023, 11:57:35 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on April 17, 2023, 08:43:55 PM

There are no access points on that stretch of road. Not even sure why it even needs to be left there. Just remove it.
There will still be a lot of through traffic on that road that would need to burden I-465 and new I-69 with some out of direction traffic if it were removed. It looks OK to stay in place.

tdindy88

Yeah, and Harding Street is a major road north of I-465 so leaving it at that size helps too. I think from that particular point on the new I-69 the quickest way to Downtown Indianapolis would be straight on Harding up to I-70 or Washington Street. Frankly, nothing needs to be officially "signed" along that roadway. Put up a sign saying "TO Harding St" and "TO Epler Ave" at the intersections with Epler and Harding respectively. The only problem I see is if something actually happens on that stretch of road, you'd have to tell the emergency officials something I guess. For whatever its worth, the Finish Line project seems to indicate that it'll be Old SR 37.

ITB

Does anyone know what the standard lane width is on I-465?

jlam

Quote from: ITB on April 18, 2023, 09:15:48 PM
Measuring it on Google Maps, it appears to be an interstate-standard 12 feet.

silverback1065

anything lower than 12 would not be allowed.

sprjus4

ITB

Quote from: jlam on April 18, 2023, 09:33:45 PM
Quote from: ITB on April 18, 2023, 09:15:48 PM
Measuring it on Google Maps, it appears to be an interstate-standard 12 feet.

Well, I guess that's one way to measure it. Twelve feet is, of course, the minimum standard for an interstate highway lane. But since I-465 could be considered an urban interstate, I was wondering whether the lanes might be bumped up to 13 feet. At any rate, at the 12 feet standard, a 4-lane cross section of I-465 with the 10 foot shoulders would equal 68 feet (10' + 12' +12' + 12' +12' +10'). And at 13 feet per lane it would be 72 feet, just four feet wider.

sprjus4

Are there other examples of 13 foot lanes being used, other than when lane widths widen due to curves (usually on narrower 2 lane roads, or double lane loop ramps) or being the standard 16 ft single lane ramps?

ITB

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 19, 2023, 12:27:42 PM
Are there other examples of 13 foot lanes being used, other than when lane widths widen due to curves (usually on narrower 2 lane roads, or double lane loop ramps) or being the standard 16 ft single lane ramps?

I'd be interested in knowing, too, of examples of 13 foot lanes. This FHWA interstate system fact-sheet states: "A generation ago, highway lanes were built 9 or 10 feet wide. Those on the Interstate System today are 12 or 13 feet wide." So, in some capacity, 13 foot lanes are part of the interstate system, but where and to what extent?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.