News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Few more pictures. Photos were taken Thursday, August 10, 2023.

Looking southeast from the Epler Avenue overpass on the south side of Indianapolis. This point, as many of you already know, is about a mile south of the future I-69/I-465 system interchange. There's been a lot of progress here is the past month. Base material has now been put down for a section of the northbound lanes, while earthwork continues on other sections as well as on the southbound roadway. On the left and right are the future ramps of the partial interchange at Epler.

The view in the other direction; looking northwest. Ongoing work to remove the surcharge continues. It might be another month before the roadbed begins to take shape here. In the deep background where the crane is located, the first girders for the I-69N to I-465W flyover are visible.

Closer look.

Even closer view using the zoom lens.

Another perspective looking southeast from Epler. State Road 37 is in the background.

The first set of girders for the I-69N to I-465W flyover; looking northeast. Although no work was underway in this particular area when I was there, the site, in general, was active. And that was around 8 pm. In the foreground is the future ramp from I-465E to I-69S. The crane is a Manitowoc 2250.

Longer range perspective. There are three sets of girders to be tied together, with five girders per set. It appears the second set will be the longest and heaviest. This section of ramp will cross over the future lanes of I-465E.

Closer look of the first set of placed girders; looking northeast. The contractor is, of course, taking all necessary steps to be safe, but until these girders are horizontally tied together and stretched to the pier, it's probably a little dicey. The ironworkers who do the work putting these girders up deserve heaps of credit and respect.

One of the second set of girders to be placed. The ladder gives an idea of how large these girders are. Behind the sign structure is the pier, which will be the end point for this stage of the girder placement work.

Future ramp from I-465E to I-69S; looking southeast. With the rebar in place, the paving of another strip of concrete is imminent. In the background is the bridge for the I-69N to I-465W ramp. Underneath that bridge will be ramp from I-465W to I-69S.

One more looking southeast from the Epler Avenue overpass. On the right is the future on-ramp from Epler. As I was leaving the area, a team was arriving on site for night work.

Again, here's the rendering of the I-69/I-465 interchange. The perspective is toward the northeast.

Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team

ITB

Let's do a few more pictures. Why wait? Again, photos were taken Thursday, August 10, 2023.

Smith Valley Road work zone, Johnson County

Looking south from the Smith Valley Road overpass. They're getting close to partially opening the interchange at Smith Valley. For the past couple of months, work has been focused on the interchange's two traffic circles, plus the roundabout at Mullinix Road. Once the overpass and southbound ramps open, which might be this weekend or early next, work will shift to other areas in this vicinity with mainline and ramp paving likely to resume.

The State Road 37/Smith Valley Road intersection; looking northwest. When the overpass and southbound ramps open, the traffic lights will be removed, and left turn access to Smith Valley Road from southbound SR 37 will be sealed off. Additionally, there will be no direct access from northbound SR 37 to Smith Valley.

The Smith Valley Road overpass; looking east. There will be two travel lanes for eastbound traffic and one west.

The view looking east from the overpass.

Another look looking south from the overpass. The car behind the truck was unfortunately broken down and partially blocking the right lane. Although emergency flashers were on, it wasn't a good situation. During the time I was on-site, about 15 minutes, no help or police arrived.

Decorative elements at the overpass and interchange; looking east.

An oversize load passing through the Smith Valley Road intersection; looking north. Not sure what it is, but it looks to be a large tub of some sort.

Southbound exit ramp to Smith Valley Road; looking north.

One more looking south, with traffic maneuvering around the stalled car.

I had planned to stop at the SR 144 interchange for a look-see, but the sun was rapidly going down. It's that time of year when summer begins to slowly fade into fall. We're now losing about 15 minutes of daylight each week. Anyway, I drove by to take a peek and saw that construction was well underway on the bridge abutments over Bluff Creek. Earlier, I had noticed that pile driving rigging was on-site at the Banta Road work zone in Marion County. Looks like work on that bridge is now getting underway.

ITB

Here's some recent screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
In preparation to pile driving, cutting the pavement at the former State Road 37/Banta Road intersection. This location is just north of the Southport Road interchange. The bridge that will be built here will carry the southbound mainline.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Last week a culvert was installed under the northbound roadway just north of the State Road 144 interchange in Johnson County.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view looking southeast from near the Smith Valley Road overpass and future interchange. Plans are to complete and open the northbound lanes in this vicinity by the end of the year.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view looking west from near the I-465/Harding Street-SR 37 interchange on the south side of Indianapolis. The white strip of road just north of the truck stop parking is the future eastbound exit ramp to Harding Street. In the background, work continues on the bridges for the I-69 interchange.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Turning around, the view looking east from near SR 37-Harding Street interchange. In the background (that little patch of white) is the recently built bridge over Bluff Road. After the bridges and roadway for the new eastbound lanes complete, traffic will be shifted to those lanes, and work will commence on the westbound roadway.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Another look southeast from near the Smith Valley Road overpass. On weekends, heavier than normal northbound traffic tends to back at the SR 37/Smith Valley Road intersection due to recreational travelers returning home after spending time on the lakes and in the parks of southern Indiana.

I-55

Quote from: ITB on August 14, 2023, 03:04:00 PM

INDOT Traffic Camera
Another look southeast from near the Smith Valley Road overpass. On weekends, heavier than normal northbound traffic tends to back at the SR 37/Smith Valley Road intersection due to recreational travelers returning home after spending time on the lakes and in the parks of southern Indiana.

Yesterday was also IU's biggest move-in day for freshmen, which contributed to a significant amount of congestion. Many of the vehicles here are on their return trip (6:22 pm) from moving in their kids.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ITB

Quote from: I-55 on August 14, 2023, 03:56:52 PM
Yesterday was also IU's biggest move-in day for freshmen, which contributed to a significant amount of congestion. Many of the vehicles here are on their return trip (6:22 pm) from moving in their kids.

Yes, indeed. The return trips would account for a lot of traffic. The opening of the residence halls never crossed my mind, and I've live in Bloomington and have for most of my life. Seems like it's earlier this year than usual. So I checked the academic calendar, and, bang, classes start next Monday, the 21st.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on August 14, 2023, 05:54:46 PM

Yes, indeed. The return trips would account for a lot of traffic. The opening of the residence halls never crossed my mind, and I've live in Bloomington and have for most of my life. Seems like it's earlier this year than usual. So I checked the academic calendar, and, bang, classes start next Monday, the 21st.
Even back in 1974, when I moved into McNutt Quad on the Bloomington Campus of IU as a Freshman, it was mid-August. Met Larry Jo Bird that week, as he lived three rooms down from me for the entire three weeks he went to IU, before he left school (for reasons other than what he mentioned in his book) to move back to French Lick. And the rest is, as they say, history.

On a sad note, I hear Bloomington has lost Swing-In Pizza recently. They used to have the best Stromboli sandwiches I've ever eaten.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: SSR_317 on August 15, 2023, 02:11:10 PM
On a sad note, I hear Bloomington has lost Swing-In Pizza recently. They used to have the best Stromboli sandwiches I've ever eaten.

Apparently, Swing-In became Hank's Pizza Mac several months ago.  That's too bad, since my family always ordered pizza from them when we lived there.  That was when it was on W. 17th St, which looked like a dive even in the early '70s.  The move to N. College apparently hurt them.  But they had the best pizza in town, and that's saying a lot!
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

I-55

Even back in 1974, when I moved into McNutt Quad on the Bloomington Campus of IU as a Freshman, it was mid-August. Met Larry Jo Bird that week, as he lived three rooms down from me for the entire three weeks he went to IU, before he left school (for reasons other than what he mentioned in his book) to move back to French Lick. And the rest is, as they say, history.

Ironically, that's the same building my brother just moved into. The campus traffic was nuts and made my Purdue move-ins look quite tame by comparision.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ARMOURERERIC

I went to the 1981 Junior Achievement Convention and stayed in a room at McNutt.  Had these telephones that swiveled in the wall to be shared between rooms.

ITB

The Smith Valley Road overpass was opened this afternoon, as were the southbound ramps to and from Smith Valley Road. All direct access from State Road 37 to Smith Valley Road is now sealed off, and the traffic signals at the former intersection have now been removed. That means the first light northbound drivers will encounter between Evansville and Indianapolis is at Fairview Road, about a mile north of the Smith Valley Road overpass.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Concrete barrier wall is now in place between the roadways at the former intersection to inform southbound drivers who have yet to get the message that, nada, no, you can't turn left anymore onto Smith Valley Road.

Here's a few more screenshots from INDOT Traffic Cameras:

The I-69/I-465 interchange work zone.
INDOT Traffic Camera

INDOT Traffic Camera
Zoomed in look of the ongoing work to place the girders for the I-69N to I-465W flyover.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking southeast toward the eastern roundabout at the SR 144 interchange in Johnson County. On the right, the abutments for the new northbound bridge over Bluff Creek appear to be coming along nicely.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Night view, with a lone vehicle traveling southbound.

silverback1065

wont the fairview road signal be removed now that smith valley is open?  :hmmm:

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on August 11, 2023, 01:49:57 PM

An oversize load passing through the Smith Valley Road intersection; looking north. Not sure what it is, but it looks to be a large tub of some sort.

My amateur guess is that it's a swimming pool. Maybe.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ITB

Some more INDOT Traffic Camera screenshots:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Just a few hours after the partial opening of the interchange at Smith Valley Road, a night paving operation kicked off on the northbound roadway a little north of the overpass.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Here's the next day view. It's possible the paving might continue on up to Fairview Road, which is around the bend and up a bit.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Pile driving for the southbound bridge over Banta Road in southern Marion County. It looks like we have a little rain delay underway.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view earlier in the day, with a delivery of MSE panels.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Arriving for work at the State Road 144 work zone. For those of you who haven't been following the project, this is now the southern most point of construction. The I-69/SR 144 interchange is about 10 miles south of the Indianapolis beltway, I-465. Between Evansville and SR 144, the road is complete and is officially signed I-69.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Late afternoon traffic backing up on the northbound exit ramp to SR 144/CR 144. Although this little backup is minor, it portends a potentially more serious future congestion problem at the SR 144 interchange. New developments continue to spring up in southern Johnson County, particularly around the town of Bargersville, where it's now crossed south of CR 144. Add into that commuter traffic from Johnson County that is traveling not only to the Indianapolis area, but to work sites, as well, in Bloomington, to the large employers there, such as the new regional IU Health Hospital, drug maker Catalent, and Indiana University, and you have a recipe for congestion. Because housing prices are significantly cheaper in Johnson County than they are in Bloomington and Monroe County, this southern commuter traffic has manifested. Moreover, the convenience of I-69 makes it all the easier to travel back and forth. All that green space pictured will undoubtedly see significant development, too, in the next 10—20 years. By then, if not sooner, the SR 144 interchange may be overwhelmed.

Also, I wish to note and express gratitude to fellow forum members who point out errors in my posts, however minor they might be. I try to be accurate, but things slip by from time to time. Moreover, some of you are much more knowledgeable than I, and your imparted expertise is usually insightful and meaningful.

mgk920

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 17, 2023, 04:44:55 PM

It looks like a commercial drive canopy to me.

Mike

edwaleni

Quote from: mgk920 on August 18, 2023, 10:41:07 AM

Mike

It's a backyard "in ground" swim pool on its way to someone's house to be installed.

SW Indiana

Quote from: edwaleni on August 18, 2023, 03:42:14 PM

Mike

It's a backyard "in ground" swim pool on its way to someone's house to be installed.

Yes it is. It's a fiberglass pool.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SW Indiana on August 19, 2023, 09:36:09 AM

Mike

It's either that, or someone is looking to buy a really big paint roller.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

bmeiser

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 19, 2023, 10:50:31 AM
Quote from: SW Indiana on August 19, 2023, 09:36:09 AM

Mike

It's either that, or someone is looking to buy a really big paint roller.  :-D
It's on a truck behind this one off camera. Along with a big bucket of paint and a big screwdriver to open it

Pixel 7

ITB

Here's a trio of drone shots grabbed from the most recent I-69 Finish Line project update:

I-69 Finish Line
Smith Valley Road interchange in Johnson County; looking southwest. In addition to the two teardrop roundabouts of the interchange, another roundabout was built at the Smith Valley Road/Mullinix Road intersection (foreground). In the background, there's a fourth roundabout at the intersection of Smith Valley and Bluffdale Drive. Due to the floodplain of the White River, which runs just behind the body of water and the dark green field (top center/right), almost all development in this area will occur east of the mainline. Although the picture doesn't depict much residential development, it's extensive and is primarily located to the left just out of view. Right now, a good chunk of that open expanse of land shown in the top left is for sale. They're probably asking top dollar and are likely to get it.

I-69 Finish Line
On the southwest side of Indianapolis, the future bridge that will carry eastbound I-465 over the White River; looking west. On paper, it was simply mentioned as a bridge replacement project. In reality, it's a huge, challenging, costly undertaking. Those precast beams look long and heavy. Plans are to complete the bridge this year and shift traffic onto it. Work will then commence on the replacement westbound span. The main reason these bridges are being replaced, aside from being a little old, is that between I-65 and I-70, I-465 is being widened from three lanes in each direction to four. Behind, in the deep background, is a similar but smaller project for a new bridge over Harmon Ditch.

I-69 Finish Line
The placement of first set of girders for the I-69N to I-465W flyover; looking west. It's looks as if two girders were lifted and set in place at the same time. That's quite impressive, considering the weight involved. Last week, the team finished placing the rest of the girders – there were two more sets of five – to complete the first phase of the girder placement for the flyover. The second phase will take place in 2024.

Weekly updates for the project can be found on the I-69 Finish Line project website or in your mailbox if you choose to subscribe.

Here's a few INDOT traffic camera screenshots:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Earlier today there was another crash in the work zone, this time on the westbound lanes of I-465 just east of the Harding Street exit.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The resulting backup stretched for more than a mile.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Excavating material to prepare for the final two piles to be pounded for the southbound mainline bridge over Banta Road in Marion County. There's moving quickly here.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Edging the base layer of the future southbound roadway with a geo textile drainage fabric; just north of the Banta Road work zone.

ITB

Snapped off a few more pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, August 27, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

Construction is rapidly moving forward. In Johnson County, the Rieth Riley/Crider & Crider JV is nearing the completion of their contract. They're in the final stages. By early November, the section of mainline from State Road 144 to Fairview Road should be close to wrapping up. Up at the future I-465 interchange, the Walsh-Milestone JV is pushing hard and progress is clearly evident.

Some of the pictures might now seem a little repetitious, as the same views are once again presented. That's because there's only so many good places to take pictures. Unfortunately, the terrain is mostly flat in the areas where construction is happening now.

Anyway, to the photos. Let's start with the Smith Valley Road work zone.

The Smith Valley Road overpass and interchange in Johnson County; looking northwest. On the right is the interchange's decorative element – a trio of huge planter-like bowls. Aside from putting in some bushes, and perhaps a couple of benches, I can't imagine what else these were built for.

Looking south from the Smith Valley Road overpass. The northbound exit ramp to Smith Valley is now mostly paved.

Link-Belt crane at the work zone; looking northwest. Interesting to see that when the outriggers are deployed, the vehicle and crane is completely lifted from the ground.

And here's the partially paved northbound exit ramp; looking southwest.

Looking east toward Smith Valley Road. Although the picture barely shows it, there's another roundabout there – at Mullinix Road. It's where the white car is, navigating the circle (expand the photo). That's going to be a busy roundabout, as there's been a lot of development south off of Mullinix and more is planned.

Another view looking slightly northwest from near the overpass. That's one end of a culvert. The other end is probably on the other side of the realigned Smith Valley Road.

Looking south again from the overpass, this time using the long range lens. The SR 144 overpass and interchange is in the deep background.

The northbound exit ramp to Smith Valley Road; looking north. They'll likely pave this narrow strip this week. The concrete slab looks to be 10 or 12 inches thick.

Wider angle perspective of the Smith Valley Road overpass; looking northwest.

Another view looking north from the overpass. Work will soon get underway on completing the MSE retaining wall for the northbound entrance ramp (right). From the point in the mid-background, the northbound lanes are now mostly paved up to Fairview Road. They've been doing the work at night.

Different perspective of the Link-Belt crane; looking northwest.

One more looking south from the overpass.

There's more photos to come, just give me a little time to go through them before posting.

ITB

Last night the beams were set for the new northbound bridge over Bluff Creek, located just south of the State Road 144 overpass in Johnson County. In total, six beams were placed. I was on site and watched as beams two through four were lifted and set. It was a perfect night for the task, not too warm and, more importantly, no wind. The work site was relatively quiet, and work proceeded at a calm, steady pace. From start to finish, it was taking about 30 minutes to place each beam.

Instead of replacing the previous bridge with a similarly sized bridge, the new bridge will be narrower and will carry only two lanes. The old bridge carried two through lanes, plus a left turn lane to SR 144 as well as a right turn lane, but had a very narrow right shoulder. The new bridge will have the same standard-sized shoulders as the roadway, so it's still going to be a fairly wide bridge.

To the pictures, all night shots. Night photography is a whole different ballgame compared to shooting in daylight. The cutting edge sensors of newer cameras make it a lot easier. But I haven't taken that plunge yet. So I made do with my 7D, the tripod, and just jacked up the ISO. Photos were taken Monday, August 28, 2023.

Lowering the second beam into place; looking south from the State Road 144 overpass.

Just minutes earlier the beam had been lifted from the transporting truck. The trucks were stationed in the present northbound traffic lane, currently running on the southbound mainline bridge. As a result, northbound traffic was diverted to the SR 144 exit ramp, where a quick half swing around the roundabout allowed easy access to the northbound entrance ramp, and a quick return to the northbound lanes. However, a few drivers were a little confused when they reached the roundabout and were unsure what to do. Some signage may have helped but was lacking.

Uncoupling the cables after the beam is set.

Closer look.

Attaching the cables to another beam. Two cranes were used during the process, one south of the creek, the other to the north. The workers who are looking over the sidewall were tasked with removing the chain rigging that tied down the beam to the truck.

With the cranes working in tandem, the beam is slowly swung and then lowered.

Positioning the beam exactly where it needs to go. This is the kind of job when, in training, they tell you "don't ever do such and such" you'd better be paying attention.

Lifting and swinging over the fourth beam.

And putting it into place. Only two more to go. Stay safe guys. Be assured your hard work is valued and appreciated.

jhuntin1

Thanks for staying up late last night to bring us those pictures of the beam placement. They look great!

rte66man

My eye was immediately drawn to the guy in the red hard hat who isn't wearing a reflective vest. It's also possible he didn't have on reflective eyewear. I'm surprised no one appears to care onsite.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

ilpt4u

Quote from: rte66man on August 30, 2023, 12:01:56 PM
My eye was immediately drawn to the guy in the red hard hat who isn't wearing a reflective vest. It's also possible he didn't have on reflective eyewear. I'm surprised no one appears to care onsite.
:eyebrow:

ITB

Some more pictures. Best to get them posted before they become stale. Photos were taken Sunday, August 27, 2023.

On the south side of Indianapolis, the girders for the flyover ramp that will take northbound I-69 to the westbound lanes of I-465; looking northeast. The was the first phase of the girder placement. Phase two will take place next year after the bridge's north abutment is constructed. The concrete and rebar in the foreground is the future ramp from I-465E to I-69S.

Different angle; looking north. Although the picture doesn't show it, the new, realigned eastbound roadway of I-465 is located just in front of the pier. The base of the scaffolding is sitting on concrete pavement. Actually, it's on a thick layer of dirt that's been put down to protect the concrete.

Beginning to remove the scaffolding support; looking north. I'm not sure how this process works. The pieces of steel on the top, I imagine, are welded together. What piece is to be removed first? There's bound to be some deflection in the girder once the support is removed. How much? I have no idea. Even if it's only a few inches, that's still an enormous amount of pressure on a support point. This disassembly, I imagine, is most likely done very carefully, at least in the initial stages.

Closer look.

Looking northwest from the Epler Avenue overpass. The girders pictured above are visible in the background (better seen when the photo is expanded). Work to remove the surcharge continues; in fact, a team was getting going as the sun was sinking in the sky — and this was Sunday.

Couple of dump trucks rumbling toward to surcharge removal area (top left).

An excavator — the one on the right — on the move toward the surcharge area. It appeared the excavator they had planned to use broke down, so they went and got another.

Another look northwest. On the top left is a sliver of the future ramp from I-465E to I-69S.

Somewhat closer look at the work underway to remove that mound of dirt, er, surcharge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.