News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

There was a minor incident today on northbound State Road 37 about a mile south of I-465.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looks like the truck made contact with the barrier wall. It appears no other vehicles were involved. Initially, both northbound lanes were blocked, but soon after traffic began to exit onto Edgewood Avenue.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Traffic quickly backed up.

INDOT Traffic Camera
With the help of construction crew members and the police, the truck was able to backup onto Edgewood Avenue.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Talking it over.

Here's a screenshot of the Banta Road work zone:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Constructing the MSE wall for the south abutment of the bridge that will carry the southbound mainline over Banta Road. For those who are unfamiliar with the acronym, MSE = Mechanically Stabilized Earth.

And just to the north:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Burying the electrical cables that will power the high mast lights and the lights of overhead signs. It looks like the trench is about two or three feet deep.

ITB

Some new pictures. Nothing special. With a cloud bank darkening the sky, I only had enough light to check out one location – a familiar one, the Epler Avenue overpass.

Photos were taken Wednesday, September 20, 2023.

Assembling for another night of work; looking southeast from the Epler Avenue overpass on the far south side of Indianapolis.

Different perspective, again looking southeast.

With the sky darkening and the work zone activating, the team moved over to the location of the future northbound exit ramp to Epler.

Getting ready, positioning equipment. Night was falling quickly.

Earlier, a long range view of the work zone.

And one more.

Here's a quartet of screen shots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Earlier in the day a base layer of porous asphalt was put down here. It's a small section of only about 300 yards.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view in the other direction. Unusual that there was no traffic whatsoever in either direction.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Here's what it looked like earlier in the day. They might start with the concrete paving tonight.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And here's another view of an electrical team at work; looking north from near the Banta Road work zone.

If interested, access INDOT traffic cameras here. Zoom in and click on the camera you wish to view. If there are two circles underneath the image, click on one, then the other. From time to time, a camera will go down, so if it's not working it might be back up in a hour or perhaps the next day. Due to the ongoing construction on I-465, a couple of cameras are currently down long term, in particular the camera at Mann Road. Not all cameras are equal. Some newer ones do well at night, others don't.

Interstate 69 Fan

I spy a SB BGS for Southport Rd in the distance - about time they start putting some up
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ITB

Yesterday was a big day for the contractors working to complete Contract 4. At the State Road 144 work zone, the deck was poured for the northbound mainline bridge over Bluff Creek just south of the interchange. This is the last bridge to be completed for Contract 4. To the north, at the Smith Valley Road work zone, concrete paving commenced on the short, unfinished section of northbound roadway.

Here's some screen shots:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Early in the morning, the concrete pump truck sets up for the deck pour at the bridge over Bluff Creek. Apparently, without a manual adjustment, this camera is unable to be turned more toward the southwest.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Later, with the sun rising, the final checks before the pour.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And in short order, the pour is nearly completed. In total, it took a little over two hours.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Completed and curing, as the afternoon begins to wind down.

INDOT Traffic Camera
A morning view looking north from the State Road 144 work zone. The small, uncompleted section will likely receive its concrete pavement in the next two weeks or so, after paving completes at the Smith Valley Road work zone.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And, speaking of the Smith Valley Road work zone, here's the paving crew at work, heading north in the morning.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Just a few hours later, finishing up.

INDOT Traffic Camera
To the north, here's a snap of the Banta Road work zone on the far south side of Indianapolis from three days ago, as work continues on the south abutment for the southbound mainline bridge. If it looks like the northbound bridge over Banta Road is a little low, it is. Work is planned to start the first week of October to lower Banta Road in this vicinity.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Two days later the MSE wall work is all but complete, with a quality assurance inspection underway.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Another view of the Smith Valley Road work zone as evening falls in central Indiana, and as summer turns to fall.

dvferyance

Indiana does it better than Wisconsin with putting roundabouts by freeways.

ilpt4u

Quote from: dvferyance on September 23, 2023, 08:00:31 PM
Illinois is beginning to, also. I-57 & IL 149 at West Frankfurt will become a roundabout diamond instead of the traditional diamond it is now

silverback1065

So does I-69 technically go all the way up to Southport road now?  :hmmm:

Moose

Everything up to where the I-465 interchange is marked Future 69 (with the future signs looking VERY temporary looking)

ITB

Here's another batch of screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Last Friday the northbound roadway in the vicinity of the Smith Valley Road interchange received its final strip of concrete pavement. With the northbound exit ramp to Smith Valley Road already paved up, the only remaining major element to be completed at the interchange is the northbound entrance ramp.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view in the other direction; looking southeast. As paving is now complete, attention will now shift to the median and the installation of the median barrier, which will probably be a double-faced guardrail.

INDOT Traffic Camera
On the south side of Indianapolis, work continues on the north abutment for the southbound mainline bridge over Banta Road. Also, work is underway to lower Banta Road in the area, with the milling of pavement the first step.

INDOT Traffic Camera
View looking north from the State Road 144 interchange. According to I-69 Finish Line newsletter, the paving of the two small northbound sections in this area — one south of the bridge over Bluff Creak, the other north — will be getting underway this week and next.

INDOT Traffic Camera
A few days ago, thick early morning fog enveloped areas in south-central Indiana. Here's what is looked like at the Smith Valley Road interchange.

INDOT Traffic Camera
On I-465, the future eastbound lanes are now receiving their concrete pavement between Bluff Road and Harding Street. A sliver of the future eastbound bridge over Harding Street is in the lower right. Good chance the crane will be used to lift the bridge deck finisher into place.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Also on I-465, pounding piles for the future eastbound bridge over Haueisen Ditch just west of the SR 37/Harding Street interchange. Although this will be a short bridge, it will be wide, carrying four lanes of traffic. It appears there are sheet piles on site, so they might be constructing cofferdams. They will do what they need to do to complete the bridge in timely fashion.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Zoomed in view looking west toward the Harding Street exit ramp, with the I-69 interchange work zone in the background.

Couple of grabs from the I-69 Finish Line newsletter:

I-69 Finish Line newsletter
Looking east toward the future I-465 eastbound mainline bridge over the White River on the south side of Indianapolis. From this vantage point, it appears the plan is to shift all I-465 traffic, both westbound and eastbound, to the new eastbound lanes when they complete. That will allow work to commence on the future westbound lanes as well as the abutments for the I-69 interchange flyovers. In the deep background, the road veering off right is the future ramp to I-69S.

I-69 Finish Line newsletter
I-465/US 31-East Street interchange; looking west.

INDOT Traffic Camera
One more. An evening view of the newly paved northbound lanes at the Smith Valley Road interchange.

Moose

Biggest issue is the remaining stopllights. In my opinion INDOT has been keeping the remaining stoplight intersections open far far to long.

Fairview is the last stoplight intersection I belive, and its super dangerous as everything else looks interstate and its been rear end buttbanger city.
I know there are businesses there that will end up getting screwed pretty hard, but might as well get it done sooner then later.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on September 18, 2023, 03:49:46 PM

Does anyone know what's up with that pipe sticking up from the soon to be shoulder of the road?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ITB

Well, it happened again. A tractor-trailer has overturned near the northbound crossover just north of the State Road 144 overpass.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The incident occurred about noon 11:20am. Authorities were quick to completely close the northbound lanes. In time, traffic already on one-lane section was able to proceed around the wreck.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Nearly three hours later, all northbound traffic was still being detoured to State Road 144.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Strange to see the northbound lanes completely deserted in the afternoon.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Southbound traffic exiting to SR 144 was backing up because of increased traffic on the overpass and roundabouts. Still no northbound traffic. Appears to be a difficult and complex cleanup. The crash happened just to bottom left of the INDOT seal. It's not really visible even when the photo is expanded, but that's the location.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Four hours and counting. Wow.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The resulting back up extended well past the Waverly Road overpass, which is roughly a mile and a half south of the SR 144 interchange.

Update: The crash involved a semi and a pickup truck. Injuries were reported but were not considered critical. As of 6 pm, more than six hours after the incident, the northbound lanes remained closed. At about 6:10 pm, the northbound lanes were finally reopened. Here's a link to a short news story, which includes a picture of the wrecked truck.

Edit: I removed the Banta Road photo because it didn't pertain to the incident.

ITB

Here's the picture that I removed from the above post. Actually, it doesn't depict Banta Road, but for simplicity I labeled it that because the camera is located just to the north.

Last night, paving resumed for the future southbound roadway south of the Epler Avenue overpass. This is the fourth layer of asphalt to be put down.

Turning around, the view the day after, looking slightly southeast. As for the white tube near the edge of the roadway, it's a pipe for drainage. Initially, I thought it might be some sort of measurement tube to help ensure the proper thickness of the asphalt was being put down. But that was wrong. From this angle, it's clear it's a drainage pipe. Note a section of the same diameter tube extending from the embankment. Obviously, the two tubes are connected. When paving completes, the top of the pipe will be cut flush and a drain will be attached.

Edit: grammar and minor wording changes

ITB

The south-facing camera at the State Road 144 interchange was adjusted earlier today to focus on the overpass. Here's the new image:

INDOT Traffic Camera
With rebar assemblies in place (bottom center), the paving of a strip of concrete pavement looks to be imminent.

INDOT Traffic Camera
At the Banta Road work zone on the south side of Indianpolis, we have a new perspective as well. Work on the north abutment's MSE wall appears to nearly complete. Work also is proceeding rapidly to lower Banta Road. The road projecting off north is S. Belmont Road.

FixThe74Sign

We have all seen the new 465/69 interchange, but I can't find any details about 465. How are they going to handle the left hand on ramps at US 31? There doesn't seem to be enough room for an added travel lane. How is this going to connect to 465 on the west side that is already at 4 lanes? What about the train bridge?

silverback1065

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on October 05, 2023, 11:22:32 PM
We have all seen the new 465/69 interchange, but I can't find any details about 465. How are they going to handle the left hand on ramps at US 31? There doesn't seem to be enough room for an added travel lane. How is this going to connect to 465 on the west side that is already at 4 lanes? What about the train bridge?

train bridge will have substandard shoulders but will have full sized lanes, this was discussed above. as for 31? I have no idea.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 06, 2023, 07:57:30 AM

train bridge will have substandard shoulders but will have full sized lanes, this was discussed above. as for 31? I have no idea.

Lane drop at 31...

ITB

As expected, paving of the two small mainline sections near the SR 144 interchange got underway today.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Early morning start prepping the equipment for the day ahead.

INDOT Traffic Camera
An hour and a half later, progressing steadily.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Dump trucks delivering the fresh concrete were unloading into a hopper, which, via a conveyor, spread the material just ahead of the slipform paver.

INDOT Traffic Camera
A few hours later, they're still at it, having crossed the bridge over Bluff Creek to pave the small section to the south.

INDOT Traffic Camera
With the slab curing, a team is at work cutting joints.

Here's a couple from the Banta Road work zone on the south side of Indianapolis:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Getting ready to do a little digging.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Later, with the excavation work completed, earthwork continues.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Another view of the newly paved slab just after the joints have been cut.

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 06, 2023, 03:01:18 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on October 06, 2023, 07:57:30 AM

Lane drop at 31...

no that's happening at 65

dvferyance

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 23, 2023, 09:24:15 PM
Illinois is beginning to, also. I-57 & IL 149 at West Frankfurt will become a roundabout diamond instead of the traditional diamond it is now
The only interchange in Illinois I am aware of that has those is the one on I-90 at IL-23.

ilpt4u

Quote from: dvferyance on October 07, 2023, 06:46:33 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 23, 2023, 09:24:15 PM
The only interchange in Illinois I am aware of that has those is the one on I-90 at IL-23.
Yup, ISTHA did that one a few years back

IDOT D9 is doing the 57/149 one in Southern IL

ITB

Couple of recent screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Yesterday on the westbound exit ramp to Harding Street, the rear of a dump truck caught fire, possibility due to the back brakes overheating.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Also yesterday, another strip of concrete was paved on the two small sections of the northbound roadway near the State Road 144 interchange. After these are paved up, which will likely happen this week or early next, the north and southbound roadways will be completely paved up to just south of the Southport Road interchange, though at the SR 144 work zone they still need to complete the northbound bridge over Bluff Creek as well as the approach slabs to that bridge.

ITB

Taking a close look at the interchange, it appears the added fourth travel lane is going to squeezed in by significantly narrowing the shoulders, in particular the right shoulder. Here's a recent Google Streetview image of I-465 and the US 31/East Street overpass:

Google Maps/Streetview
This is a west looking view. On the left, behind the recently constructed barrier wall, is the exit ramp from I-465E to US 31-East Street north. The new, extended barrier wall indicates — to me, at least — that they plan to use the right shoulder area in this vicinity as the fourth travel lane. It seems the only other option is to completely redo left entrance ramp (background) and create a new merge lane up against Lick Creek (right, out of view). But since nothing yet has been done there, it's increasingly unlikely they are moving in that direction. I guess they could also rebuild the US 31 bridge with a wider space between the piers, but that another $50-75 million, maybe more ... but that's not going to happen.

ITB

Few more screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
With the paving equipment in position, they will likely be paving the final strip of concrete pavement either today or tomorrow. And, Mr. Hornet, I'd be remiss in not saying hello. Nice of you to drop by.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Last Wednesday, the beams were placed for the southbound mainline bridge over Banta Road. It seems they're wanting to complete this bridge before winter sets in.

INDOT Traffic Camera
On I-465, the deck of the eastbound bridge over Harding Street was recently poured. Here's a pre-pour snap showing the bridge deck finisher in place ready to go.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Four days later, with the pour having taken place, the concrete is now covered with plastic sheeting.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Here's a perspective of Harding Street we haven't seen before. That approach slab looks ready for concrete.

INDOT Traffic Camera
At the Haueisen Ditch work zone, where the eastbound bridge is under construction, two cranes were on site. They're pushing hard here.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Closer look of the ramps and flyovers of the I-69 interchange, which is planned to complete late next year.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Zoomed in view.

INDOT Traffic Camera
East of the Kentucky Avenue/SR 67 interchange, construction of the fourth added travel lanes is coming along nicely.

INDOT Traffic Camera
In the vicinity of the LIRC bridge, although the shoulders will be narrow, there's ample room for the added travel lanes.

INDOT Traffic Camera
As night approaches, the view looking west from near the Harding Street interchange.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: ITB on October 16, 2023, 03:06:52 AM

Few more screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera

Aaaggh!  Wasp!
:-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.