Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

As expected, on Monday the final strip of concrete pavement was paved to complete the two small sections at the State Road 144 interchange in Johnson County. With the completion of this paving project, the northbound lanes are now, by and large, essentially completed from Evansville to the I-465 system interchange in Marion County. If you noticed the qualification, there is one. At the Fairview Road/SR 37 intersection in Johnson County, which is currently controlled by traffic lights, some pavement work may have to be undertaken near the intersection when the signals are removed.

Here's some pictures of the paving. Photos were taken Monday, October 16, 2023.

At work on a brisk early fall morning. In the background is the southbound exit ramp to State Road 144.

Long range view looking north. Behind the paving machine is the texture/cure machine, which tines the fresh slab and applies a curing compound. In the background is the Smith Valley Road overpass and interchange, where only the southbound ramps are open.

Short pause in the action to make an adjustment to the paver; looking north.

Closer look at the paving machine, a Gomaco GHP-2800 Slipform Concrete Paver.

As is usual for a paving project of this kind, the concrete is delivered by dump trucks. The speed and progress of the paver depends on the number of trucks used in the operation.

Cleaning the hopper while waiting for the next truck to arrive.

Staying in contact with the batch plant is important to ensure the concrete quality is what's it supposed to be.

In total, the paving crew numbered 15, of which 12 are pictured.

Although overcast, it was good weather for paving. The temperature was in the upper 40s, later rising to the mid-50s in the afternoon.

Another view looking north.

ITB

Few more pictures. Again, the photos were taken Monday, October 16, 2023.

For those who don't know, the contract to upgrade 17 miles of State Road 37 to I-69, from just north of Martinsville up to Fairview Road in Johnson County — also known as Contract #4 of Section 6 — was awarded to contractors Rieth-Riley and Crider & Crider, who together formed a joint venture. Rieth-Riley, which has been building roads and bridges in Indiana since 1916, is employee-owned and is headquartered in Goshen, Indiana. Crider & Crider, family-owned and operated, was founded in 1954. It has been doing highway work since 1979 and is located in Bloomington.

Looking south from the State Road 144 overpass toward the northbound bridge over Bluff Creek. The small unpaved strip just past the bridge was paved as part of the same paving operation shown in the previous post.

Installing drainage piping.

Long range view, again looking south. With the mainline paving now complete in this area, the focus will turn to the approach slabs and the bridge sidewalls.

Decorative elements at the State Road 144 overpass and interchange; looking west. In full, the lettering spells out Bargersville, which is a town about four miles east of the interchange. Bargersville is growing rapidly, increasing in population from 4,013 in 2010 to 9,560 in 2020.

Another look at the work underway at the SR 144 interchange.

Here again, north of the SR 144 overpass, is the paving operation steadily progressing southward. Pacing themselves, the crew was well aware they had a long day ahead.

And one more, a closer look at the paving crew. Doing the work is sub-contractor E&B Paving, one of the larger and more important companies involved in road and bridge construction in Indiana.

Edit: Swapped out a couple of photos for others that were a bit sharper; minor wording additions/changes

JREwing78

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 16, 2023, 12:48:08 PM
Quote from: ITB on October 16, 2023, 03:06:52 AM

Few more screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera

Aaaggh!  Wasp!
:-D

"I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords!"

royo6022

How bad has the traffic situation been up near the construction? I am traveling from Evansville to Indy on the 30th and I'm excited to see the construction progress but if the traffic is going to be bad I may opt to take an alternative route for at least one of my trips going up or back down.
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

cjw2001

Quote from: royo6022 on October 18, 2023, 01:29:06 PM
How bad has the traffic situation been up near the construction? I am traveling from Evansville to Indy on the 30th and I'm excited to see the construction progress but if the traffic is going to be bad I may opt to take an alternative route for at least one of my trips going up or back down.
Google Maps is your friend here.  Just put in your starting point and destination and select for the day of the week and either the time you want to leave or arrive.  It will then show you the best route for typical traffic conditions on that day of the week and time of day.

Rothman

I drove through it two weekends ago.  Yes, it was a little slow, but not anymore than any other major construction project.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bmeiser

I've been through on and off during the various phases of the project and traffic has been managed pretty well. Just be sure to put your destination in your GPS so that you can be rerouted if there's an accident.

Pixel 7

ITB

Some recent screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
In Johnson County, looking south toward the State Road 144 overpass and the mainline bridges over Bluff Creek. With rebar in place, the pours for the approach slabs are soon forthcoming. Also, forms are being put down for what appears to be another concrete pour as part of the left shoulder.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Turning around, here's the view a day after the final strip of concrete was put down.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And, earlier, from Monday, the paving crew at work moving southward.

INDOT Traffic Camera
At the Smith Valley Road interchange, it looks like the northbound entrance ramp is now paved, at a minimum, partially. They might have another strip to do.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And from the night before, doing some late night work on the ramp, maybe cutting joints.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Further north, just north of Banta Road, a slipform paver is being used to construct the concrete median barrier wall.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Here's the view a day later as evening approaches.

INDOT Traffic Camera
On I-465, east of Harding Street interchange, it appears they're ready for a large-scale paving operation, maybe tomorrow.

SSR_317

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 17, 2023, 06:24:10 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 16, 2023, 12:48:08 PM
Quote from: ITB on October 16, 2023, 03:06:52 AM

Few more screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera

Aaaggh!  Wasp!
:-D

"I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords!"

I was thinking of that exact same "Kent Brockman" quote before I scrolled down and saw you had already posted it! LOL :-D

ITB

Another batch of pictures. Photos were taken Thursday, October 26, 2023.

On the far south side of Indianapolis, looking north from the Southport Road overpass. The bridge pictured will carry the southbound lanes over Little Buck Creek. Beyond that (where the crane is) is the bridge over Banta Road. The northbound lanes are complete is this area.

Signage on the Southport Road overpass; looking west.

Closer look. They'll probably try to finish the two bridges this year, and then next spring complete the remaining earthwork and do the paving. Aside from the bridges at the I-465 interchange, these are the last two mainline bridges to be completed between Evansville and Indy.

Different perspective. It was nice and sunny when I left home. Just 40 miles to the north, however, it became dark and gloomy. Temperature wise, it was around 75, quite unusual for late October in central Indiana.

The southbound bridge over Banta Road; looking east. Banta Road was lowered in this vicinity and given new pavement. The crossroad is S. Belmont Avenue.

This is what the eye sees. In total, the construction zone is only about a mile in length. After the two bridges complete, they'll be able to knock out the remaining work in short order next spring.

Another view looking north. An expansive concrete sidewalk runs along the north side of the Southport Road overpass, making it very safe to walk around and take pictures. There's nothing on the south side, so taking some snaps looking south was no-can-do because of bridge traffic.

On S. Belmont Avenue about a quarter mile south of the Epler Avenue overpass. At this time, the new northern section of S. Belmont does not connect to the section further south, but will in the future.

ITB

Some more. Again, photos were taken Thursday, October 26, 2023.

On the south side of Indianapolis, looking north from the Epler Avenue overpass toward to the future I-69/I-465 interchange.

Turning around and crossing Epler, the view looking southeast.

Zoomed in perspective; looking north. Eastbound traffic exiting to Harding Street/SR 37 is now using the new pavement of the eastbound lanes and the new ramp.

Another angle looking north.

And another. The ramp from I-465W to I-69S will run underneath the bridge. Yeah, I know, it doesn't quite look right. That would be one sharp turn to head south. In actuality, the area is quite expansive and the camera tends to compress things, bringing aspects together.

Different view looking southeast from Epler.

What the eye sees; looking north from Epler.

S. Belmont Avenue, realigned to intersect with Epler Avenue just west of the overpass.

Another zoomed in view. In the background are stacks of MSE panels, which will be used to construct the western abutment of the I-69N to I-465W flyover.

The southbound entrance ramp from Epler Avenue.

One more looking southeast from Epler.

That's all for now. I was expecting the sun to be shining on this excursion, but it was not to be. Looking again at the photos, some are little dark. Well, it was pretty gloomy out there. Just one of those days.

ITB

Here's a batch of recent screenshots grabbed from INDOT traffic cameras:

In this area, the added fourth lane of the westbound roadway will be constructed using the former median. Around the bend is the construction zone for the new bridges over S. Meridian Street.

Signage near the mainline bridges over Wicker Road about four miles south of I-465; looking northwest.

They're getting close to finishing up at the SR 144 interchange. Hard to say how much work remains. Yesterday I noticed a nearby sign announcing a soon-to-be new traffic pattern. There was a date mentioned, but zipping by quickly, I was unable to catch what it was.

Another familiar view, looking southeast toward the Southport Road overpass (background) and the work zones at Banta Road and Little Buck Creek.

Morning view of the new eastbound I-465 bridge over Harding Street/SR 37. To extend the life of the bridge, a polymeric overlay has been applied to the deck, which was then covered with plastic sheeting.

Morning start for a paving team, moving west toward the eastbound mainline bridge over Bluff Road.

And here they are in the afternoon, still another hour or two to go.

From earlier this week, more paving was indeed on the schedule for the northbound entrance ramp at the Smith Valley Road interchange.

Paving activity for the new, realigned eastbound lanes has been moving west toward the mainline bridge over Harding Street. At the same time, crews are prepping the roadway in the west to begin paving further east from near the future I-69 interchange, heading toward the bridge over Haueisen Ditch.

Moose

Any word when they will shut off that last damn stoplight at Fairview?

It should have been shut off weeks ago.. being it's the last light in the middle of what's essentially interstate, it's been butt banger (rear ender) wreck city.

ITB

Quote from: Moose on October 27, 2023, 07:19:08 PM
Any word when they will shut off that last damn stoplight at Fairview?

It should have been shut off weeks ago.. being it's the last light in the middle of what's essentially interstate, it's been butt banger (rear ender) wreck city.

Should be gone by the end of November at the latest. The light is needed to safely allow traffic from Fairview to access the lanes of SR 37, particularly northbound. For a lot of people in the area, it's the main access point to northbound 37. It's not an ideal situation, however, as you point out.

Revive 755

What's with the buffered lane on EB I-465 near Harding Street?  It can make at least one driver who doesn't go through Indianapolis that often wonder if there are a bunch of HOV lane signs and markings missing.

I-55

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 27, 2023, 09:26:42 PM
What's with the buffered lane on EB I-465 near Harding Street?  It can make at least one driver who doesn't go through Indianapolis that often wonder if there are a bunch of HOV lane signs and markings missing.

That's where the old jersey barrier was, they don't want people driving on the longitudinal seam which is rather large in spots.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ITB

Another screen grab from an INDOT traffic camera:

Working on Sunday on the eastbound bridge over Haueisen Ditch. With time of the essence, they're pushing hard. In the background, exiting traffic to Harding Street/SR 37 runs on the new, recently completed ramp.

ITB

Here's another batch of pictures. Photos were taken Thursday, November 2, 2023.

But first, for perspective, here's a screenshot grabbed from the I-69 Finish Line newsletter of October 30th. This aerial, which is facing east, shows all the elements of the future I-69/I-465 interchange, plus the eastbound exit ramp to Harding Street/SR 37. Because the trees are showing just a little color, the picture was likely taken in early October.

I-69 Finish Line
It is apparent, at least to me, that traffic must first be shifted onto the new eastbound roadway before full blown construction can commence on the northbound abutments for the flyovers. Those abutments, it appears, will be positioned right smack dab in the middle of the current westbound lanes. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm unable to see how they might do it otherwise.

On the southwest side of Indianapolis, looking east toward I-465 from the Mann Road overpass and partial interchange.

Zoomed in shot. In the background are the girders for the future ramp that will carry I-69N to I-465W. Beyond that is the partial constructed flyover that will carry the ramp from I-465W to I-69S.

Again, looking east from Mann. With overnight temperatures now occasionally dropping into the 20s and 30s, concrete pours and paves must be protected, thus the plastic sheeting.

The eastbound exit ramp from I-465 to Harding Street/SR 37; looking east. On the right, where the lights are, is where it intersects with Harding Street.

Another shot looking east from the Mann Road overpass. After being closed for about a month, the eastbound entrance ramp from Mann has been reopened.

Looking east toward Thompson Road from near the Mann Road overpass.

Closer look.

Traffic barrelling down the new eastbound exit ramp to Harding Street/SR 37; looking west. The Flying J truck stop is on the left.

Another look east from Mann using the long range lens. That strip of rebar in front of the new bridge over the White River looks ready to receive its concrete. Almost every day now, paving to one extent or another will be taking place for the new eastbound lanes of I-465.

On another note, about 10 miles to the south near the SR 144 interchange, northbound traffic has now been shifted onto the new, recently completed northbound roadway. The northbound ramps at the Smith Valley Road interchange, however, are still closed. They are likely to be opened soon, maybe next week. After that happens, the lights at Fairview Road will be removed.

Interestingly, as I was driving up, northbound traffic, as usual, was running on the southbound lanes in the vicinity of the Smith Valley Road interchange. At the Fairview Road intersection, traffic was funneled down to one lane and a machine was being used to brush away lane markings. Just an hour later, coming back, it was a pleasant surprise to see that northbound traffic had been shifted to the new northbound lanes.

ITB

Here's another handful of screenshots grabbed from INDOT traffic cameras. Best to get them posted before they get stale.

INDOT Traffic Camera
This was mentioned in a previous post, but here's the picture. From just north of the SR 144 interchange, northbound traffic is now running on the new northbound lanes. At the Smith Valley Road interchange, the northbound ramps are still closed. They should open soon, perhaps this week or next.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view looking south of the SR 144 interchange. This is the point where the northbound lanes have been funneled down to down to one and routed over the southbound bridge over Bluff Creek. It's worked out very well, and traffic delays have been minimal. On the other end, where traffic is redirected back to the northbound roadway, it's been more problematic and there have incidents, including, in early October, an overturned semi carrying a million pickle jar lids.

INDOT Traffic Camera
State Road 37 about a half mile south of the Southport Road interchange. In this vicinity, the northbound roadway is all but complete. Currently, a former section of southbound SR 37 is being utilized as the southbound entrance ramp from Southport Road.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Another perspective; looking north. The Southport Road interchange is just around the bend.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Here's the view in the other direction, showing where southbound traffic is redirected back to the southbound lanes.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Near the Smith Valley Road interchange, the temporary barrier wall that separated traffic on the southbound lanes is being removed.

INDOT Traffic Camera
North of the Southport Road interchange (background) an overhead sign is being assembled.

INDOT Traffic Camera
On I-465, the view looking west from near the Harding Street/SR 37 interchange. Lots of traffic on the new eastbound exit ramp to Harding Street/SR 37.

Henry

Don't you just love when DOTs are in "hurry-up" mode? Apparently when it comes to I-69, INDOT is, and I hope I can get to drive it next year.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ITB

In early October, Mileage Mike Travels drove I-69 northbound from Bloomington to just south of Martinsville. That was Section 5 of the extension project.

More specifically, the video begins near the Fullerton Pike interchange on the south side of Bloomington and ends just north of Liberty Road interchange in Morgan County.

The drive, shot in high definition 4K, might be the best available of this stretch of I-69. Make sure to bump up the quality when viewing.

The Ghostbuster

Google Maps Satellite View has a perfect view of construction of Interstate 69's final approach to Interstate 465: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6877268,-86.1991359,1759m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu.

ITB

Today, a traffic shift is scheduled to happen near the State Road 144 interchange. Northbound traffic, which has been funneled down to one lane and redirected across the southbound bridge over Bluff Creek, will be switched to the new, recently completed northbound pavement, its permanent alignment. The traffic change was announced yesterday.

To allow crews to work on the median, northbound traffic will remain in a one-lane configuration from Banta Road in Johnson County through Olive Branch Road.

Here's a couple of before pictures, grabbed from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view looking south, with the twin bridges over Bluff Creek in the foreground. The former SR 37/Banta Road intersection, now sealed off, is just around the bend in the background.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And the view in the other direction. Guardrail installation along the right shoulder appears to be nearing completion. That's a safety measure; it's unlikely the roadway would be opened without it.

ITB

Yesterday, I went up for another look-see. As expected, northbound traffic near the SR 144 interchange had been shifted to its permanent alignment on the new pavement of the northbound lanes. They were still working to complete the striping as I passed through. The backup was considerable, beginning prior to the Waverly Road overpass. It took 22 minutes to go about two miles.

My intention was to revisit the Mann Road work zone, then stop by the Southport Road interchange, followed by a quick stop at the SR 144 interchange. That all went out the window because of the lost time due to the congestion at the SR 144 work zone and additional time chewed up at the Southport Road interchange. There the traffic lights were poorly timed. Very.

With the sun dropping like a rock in the sky, I was hustling. Let's go to the pictures. Photos were taken Friday, November 10, 2023.

Overhead sign construction about a half mile north of the Southport Road overpass. This will be placed over the northbound lanes.

Looking slightly northwest from the Epler Avenue overpass.

And the view in the other direction from Epler; looking southeast.

Epler Avenue overpass; looking northeast.

Here's the sign in the front of the Epler Avenue overpass; looking northwest. Peoria, huh? It is what it is. Besides we knew about it beforehand. But how about putting underneath an I-65 shield and adding Chicago.

More signage near the Epler Avenue overpass; looking east. INDOT, it seems, has a pile of "Future" signs tucked away.

Another perspective looking southeast from the Epler Avenue overpass.

ilpt4u

Quote from: ITB on November 11, 2023, 12:07:58 PM

Here's the sign in the front of the Epler Avenue overpass; looking northwest. Peoria, huh? It is what it is. Besides we knew about it beforehand. But how about putting underneath an I-65 shield and adding Chicago.
This is a spot where state-based controls would work fine. 465 WB: Illinois. 465 EB: Ohio

IF a 65 shield is added to WB with Chicago, would have to add one EB with Louisville, also

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.