Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Quote from: Moose on November 14, 2023, 08:39:04 PM
Quote from: ITB on November 14, 2023, 05:45:39 PM

It is apparent, to me at least, Walsh and Milestone are pressing hard to make the new eastbound lanes ready for a traffic shift before winter sets in. If they can accomplish that — and they probably will — the demolition of the westbound bridges (White River, Harmon Ditch, Harding Street, etc.) can then take place in January and February. That might be the plan. Let's see what happens.

"By Thanksgiving much of the planned I-69 Finish Line construction for the year will be complete. Crews will continue to work during the winter months as weather permits, but overall construction and traffic should decrease noticeably.  "

Its clear they have a date goal in mind, and likely an amount of work they want done.

Yeah, I took note of that statement, which appeared in the On Track Project Update of November 13. In a generic sense, it's accurate — highway construction in the northern states does taper during the winter months. And, yes, by Thanksgiving construction from the SR 144 interchange to Fairview Road will be wrapping up because, basically, work along that stretch will be all but complete. Done. Finished. As usual, some minor tasks will remain, and those will be taken care of next spring.

However, up north in the I-465 realm of the project, I tend to believe contractors Walsh and Milestone and their subs will be pushing hard through the rest of November and well into December. The goal, as I see it, is to substantially complete the new, realigned eastbound lanes of I-465 before hard winter sets in. That will allow traffic to be shifted to the new lanes, and for demolition of the westbound bridge structures on I-465 to proceed in January and February.

Let's take a minute to think about this. This project is scheduled to be substantially complete by the end of 2024. That's only 13 and 1/2 months away, or exactly 413 days. That's not much time at all for a project of this scope. They still have a lot of work to do. Not only do several westbound bridge structures need to demolished and completely rebuilt, but the westbound lanes must be completely reconstructed as well. And let's not forget about the I-69 system interchange and those long flyover ramps.

But before the westbound bridge structures can be taken down traffic, of course, has to be shifted off them. Would a construction manager want to wait until next spring to do that traffic shift? No way. That would leave only 9–10 months to complete the project. Not much time at all. So, because of this, they are working hard now to pave up the new eastbound lanes and get them ready for the traffic shift. Will they be working after Thanksgiving and into December doing this work? Almost certainly. At the same time, they'll also be doing, whenever possible, earthwork and abutment work, as well as other tasks. They can pave with concrete during the colder months, but it's not typical. Will any paving work be undertaken this winter? Maybe, maybe not. We'll see. Last year, the contractor of Indy's North-Split project worked all through winter, undertaking deck pours and paving.

Please bear in mind, I am not associated with the project in any way. I am merely a construction watcher. Keep that in mind in regard to the above; my assumptions could be more wrong than right. At any rate, it will be interesting to see how the construction proceeds in the months ahead.

Edit: Minor changes for readability.

Rothman

Bridge demolition and rebuild in one construction season...I suppose it could technically happen if resources are brought to bear, but I'll believe that 2024 completion date when I see it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

silverback1065

based on what we saw with north split, bridge work will be the only thing they will do over the winter. concrete paving on the rare warm days. that's just a guess though.

abqtraveler

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 15, 2023, 09:49:03 AM
based on what we saw with north split, bridge work will be the only thing they will do over the winter. concrete paving on the rare warm days. that's just a guess though.
As long as the temperature stays above 40 degrees, you can pour concrete.  That might be a tall order during the typical Indiana winter where you can go weeks without the temperature getting above freezing, let alone 40 degrees.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Rick Powell

Quote from: abqtraveler on November 15, 2023, 10:38:08 AM
As long as the temperature stays above 40 degrees, you can pour concrete.  That might be a tall order during the typical Indiana winter where you can go weeks without the temperature getting above freezing, let alone 40 degrees.

If you REALLY want to pour concrete in siub-40 degree weather, there are ways to do it, at greater expense.

Moose

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=839836684809022&set=a.516173620508665

Confirmed that the last stoplight on future I-69 dies today.

Leaves those businesses high and dry, but some of them built there well into planning for I-69

GaryV

Quote from: Rick Powell on November 15, 2023, 08:35:32 PM

If you REALLY want to pour concrete in siub-40 degree weather, there are ways to do it, at greater expense.

And when you don't do it right, you get to redo it at even greater expense. Plus the significant cost to motorists of having the freeway under construction yet another time.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/newly-built-portion-of-i-75-to-be-removed-and-replaced-after-wrong-pavement-used

Moose

Quote from: GaryV on November 16, 2023, 07:25:26 AM

And when you don't do it right, you get to redo it at even greater expense. Plus the significant cost to motorists of having the freeway under construction yet another time.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/newly-built-portion-of-i-75-to-be-removed-and-replaced-after-wrong-pavement-used

Yeah they are on schedule (if not ahead) and there isn't any reason to incur risk like that, I agree

Moose

If you squint at the traffic cam, you could have seen the guys out there just after the morning rush pulling down the last Stoplight between Indianapolis and Evansville.

https://511in.org/camera/307/@-86.22352,39.61324,14?show=incidents,normalCameras,stationsAlert,weatherWarningsAreaEvents,plowCameras,flooding#camera/307/2747786899
This really is a milestone, 37 had so many overly dangerous butt banger wreck stop lights... I for one am glad to see them gone.

Yes I realize that the going to be Bypassed section of 37/Harding street has several.. but those are not as bad or dangerous, everyone is slowing down knowing that they are going to have to get on 465..

From what I see of the signs put up, I think this section of 37 will just be an unsigned state road. There are a few unsigned state roads. One actually next door.

Old IN 135 remains in state ownership and Maintenace from Thompson Road to Edwards Ave.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Moose on November 16, 2023, 12:33:40 AM

Leaves those businesses high and dry, but some of them built there well into planning for I-69

With the possible exception of the Walgreens and gas station, and maybe the Mexican restaurant, most of those businesses look to be more local destinations.  They do have I-69 access via the access road on the west side of the highway.

zzcarp

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 16, 2023, 12:08:57 PM
Quote from: Moose on November 16, 2023, 12:33:40 AM

With the possible exception of the Walgreens and gas station, and maybe the Mexican restaurant, most of those businesses look to be more local destinations.  They do have I-69 access via the access road on the west side of the highway.

And it looks like the gas station isn't a gas station anymore but a tool and Uhaul rental shop now. So that's "local destination" as well.
So many miles and so many roads

Moose

Quote from: zzcarp on November 16, 2023, 12:26:15 PM

And it looks like the gas station isn't a gas station anymore but a tool and Uhaul rental shop now. So that's "local destination" as well.

Burger King and the Gas Station moved out local businesses have moved in.

the CVS (not a Walgreens) is still there however.

ITB

Here's an earlier aerial of the State Road 37/Fairview Road intersection. As the frontage road is under construction, it dates to either the fall of 2021 or a year earlier.

I-69 Finish Line

ITB

Oh, most definitely. A lot has changed in the concrete industry in recent years. They can pour in very cold temperatures, and often do nowadays. The admixtures that are needed, however, can be pricey. And it's not just concrete used in road and bridge construction. It's standard now for builders of skyscrapers in NYC and elsewhere to push right through winter, pouring columns and floor plates.

ITB

In regards to the typical "construction season" for roads and bridges in Indiana, it depends on the project. For multi-year projects, such as I-69's Section 6, contractors will work, whenever possible, during the winter months. Demolition activities are often undertaken in January and February to lay the groundwork for the work to come in the spring. Concrete, as mentioned above, can be poured and paved in cold temperatures. Asphalt, however, is another matter. In cooler temperatures, using asphalt, even warm-mix, proves problematic as it needs to be compressed. Cold temperatures make that difficult, if not impossible. That's why projects using asphalt tend to wrap up in either October or early November.

Here's some earlier photos of the construction in northern Morgan County:

I-69 Finish Line
Demo work on the southbound SR 37 bridge over Clear Creek; looking south. This is north of Martinsville and just south of the former Egbert Road crossing.

I-69 Finish Line
Prep work to pile driving for the bridge that will carry the frontage road over Stotts Creek.

I-69 Finish Line
Taking down the SR 37 southbound bridge over Stotts Creek.

I-69 Finish Line
Deck pour for the northbound span over Clear Creek. Brrr! Might be early spring, but it looks like a chilly morning.

I-69 Finish Line
Tying together a rebar cage at the Stotts Creek work zone. That's the White River on the right.

I-69 Finish Line
Pile drilling for the southbound bridge over Stotts Creek. Snowfalls in south-central Indiana usually melt away after a few days.

I-69 Finish Line
Inserting wick drains. This is probably the work zone where the Egbert Road overpass was constructed.

I-69 Finish Line
Not sure of this location, but it appears to be between the present Henderson Ford Road interchange and Egbert Road overpass. Nope, that was incorrect. It's where the present Waverly Road overpass is located, looking in a northeast direction.

I-69 Finish Line
Another look at the demo work of the southbound SR 37 bridge over Clear Creek.

ITB

Few more screenshots grabbed from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking east toward the I-69 interchange work zone. To track progress, we can use this image as a date stamp.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view in the other direction, with another paving pass underway. They'll be able to place six lanes on this pavement, including using the right shoulder.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Another look as the paving operation moves east.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Closer look at the machine that applies the curing compound. This machine can also tine the concrete, but that might not be happening.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking east from the Harding Street interchange. Yesterday, traffic using the eastbound entrance ramp from Harding was shifted to the new pavement.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Turning around, preparations to pave a strip between the I-69 interchange work zone and the Harding Street interchange are nearly complete. They might pave this Friday if the weather is OK.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking east from the Mann Road overpass. Finally, after being down more than month the camera is back online. Take note how wide the new eastbound roadway will be. That unpaved strip will probably receive its concrete either next week or the week after.

INDOT Traffic Camera
To the east on I-465, paving is underway for the new westbound lanes. It's possible the eastbound lanes will be shifted onto this pavement temporarily.

INDOT Traffic Camera
To the south, the northbound exit ramp is now open at the Smith Valley Road interchange.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Nice evening view.

INDOT Traffic Camera
One more looking east toward the girders of the flyover that will take I-69N to I-465W. Whenever possible, they'll be working through the winter months.

Great Lakes Roads

The signage plans on the I-465 overlap are up on INDOT's letting for December 13th!  :colorful:

ITB

The contract to build Section 3, the Indiana approach to the proposed I-69 bridge over the Ohio River, was awarded today. ORX Constructors, a joint venture led by Walsh Construction, was the winning bidder. The Constructors JV's bid narrowing beat out a bid by Lunda Construction, a Wisconsin firm. Ragle Inc. of Newburgh, Indiana, also submitted a bid.

After cost proposal price adjustments, the winning bid came in at $185,931,122.20. Lunda's bid, after adjustments, was $187,178,971.00. Both bids were well below the engineer's estimate of $284,140,008.

Examine the official INDOT bid tabulations for this special letting here.

edwaleni

https://fox59.com/news/smith-valley-rd-interchange-with-future-i-69-now-fully-open/

JOHNSON COUNTY, Ind. — INDOT is celebrating a big milestone Friday in the I-69 Finish Line project. The entire interchange at Smith Valley Road is now open. The ramp to NB future I-69 is now open, it was the last part of the interchange that wasn't open yet.

Smith Valley Rd. over the old State Road 37 has been a part of the I-69 Finish Line construction for quite some time now.

"Chaotic," said Tabatha Wilson. "A lot more traffic at the four-way by my house."

Moose

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/37b5100

"6 months ahead of schedule"

I-69 to officially extend to Smith Valley road early next year

GaryV

Quote from: edwaleni on November 18, 2023, 09:10:49 AM
"Chaotic," said Tabatha Wilson. "A lot more traffic at the four-way by my house."
Maybe they need a roundabout

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 17, 2023, 05:26:11 PM
The signage plans on the I-465 overlap are up on INDOT's letting for December 13th!  :colorful:
Any images of the sign plans?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: ITB on November 11, 2023, 12:07:58 PM
Overhead sign construction about a half mile north of the Southport Road overpass. This will be placed over the northbound lanes.
Appears this is mounted now, just north of Southport Rd on the traffic cameras. The Epler Ave BGS is clearly still covered, but unclear if the 465/74 one is covered, or not. Might lead to confusion amongst drivers in the short term.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 19, 2023, 05:02:31 PM
Quote from: ITB on November 11, 2023, 12:07:58 PM
Overhead sign construction about a half mile north of the Southport Road overpass. This will be placed over the northbound lanes.
Appears this is mounted now, just north of Southport Rd on the traffic cameras. The Epler Ave BGS is clearly still covered, but unclear if the 465/74 one is covered, or not. Might lead to confusion amongst drivers in the short term.

Drove this yesterday, that sign is up and fully bagged. they slapped a temp SIGNAL AHEAD sign on it for now. I am shocked at how much faster it is to get to Bloomington now!  :clap: much better than the old way.

Rothman

For someone who remembers what it was like to drive IN 37 from Bloomington to Indianapolis in the late '70s, I-69's a godsend.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.