Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurdueBill

Quote from: I-55 on November 21, 2023, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: Moose on November 20, 2023, 09:16:43 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 20, 2023, 07:01:20 AM
For someone who remembers what it was like to drive IN 37 from Bloomington to Indianapolis in the late '70s, I-69's a godsend.

It wasn't much better into the 2000s.

One thing the interstate has helped with, is getting the really annoying "Hyperlocal" traffic off the road. The people using the road for only a couple of miles.
There are the people who.. now have to use the access roads.

Trust me, there were a lot of them, and they didn't move very fast.

Now if we can just get Purdue to not take the "The Boilermaker Special" down I-69 to Bloomington for the Bucket Game..
For those who don't know, the IU-PU Football game is called the "Old Oaken Bucket Game". When the game was played in Bloomington, Purdue drives something called the "The Boilermaker Special" down to Bloomington.. at 45 MPH the WHOLE WAY.. there are hordes of hangers on following it (Including a horde of cars or firetrucks from various agencies from along the along the route), so it becomes an effective rolling slowdown.. I got stuck behind the thing once.

They only drive 45mph as there are two dudes in the back of it constantly beating on a drum. (I am not kidding lol)

This years is in Lafayette, so next year lol

Yeah, my lab partner is in Reamer Club and is one of the drivers, they drive about 30 mph faster than you say they do. Not to mention 45 mph is the construction speed limit anyway, not like it would be contributing to congestion there. 
contributing there.

The Special is capable of regular highway speeds.  The predecessor of the current one, the Boilermaker Special V, led a group of us out of the Tippecanoe Mall parking lot out IN 38 to I-65 and down to Bloomington for the Bucket game in 1999.  The Special traveled the prevailing speed all the way down on 65, 465, and 37.  It drives to away games and bowl games all over the place and would never get where it needed to if it were limited to 45 mph.  (The 2001 Rose Bowl trip was one of the few it didn't drive to; to save time (as well as probably due to the winter conditions crossing the Rockies), it was shipped to California.)

Last January 2, I was outside the Citrus Bowl stadium after the game as the Special was leaving; there were some people who were sure that the Special would not get onto the East-West Expressway (FL 408), but were shocked when it did.

Moose

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 01, 2023, 04:34:39 PM
Quote from: I-55 on November 21, 2023, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: Moose on November 20, 2023, 09:16:43 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 20, 2023, 07:01:20 AM
For someone who remembers what it was like to drive IN 37 from Bloomington to Indianapolis in the late '70s, I-69's a godsend.

It wasn't much better into the 2000s.

One thing the interstate has helped with, is getting the really annoying "Hyperlocal" traffic off the road. The people using the road for only a couple of miles.
There are the people who.. now have to use the access roads.

Trust me, there were a lot of them, and they didn't move very fast.

Now if we can just get Purdue to not take the "The Boilermaker Special" down I-69 to Bloomington for the Bucket Game..
For those who don't know, the IU-PU Football game is called the "Old Oaken Bucket Game". When the game was played in Bloomington, Purdue drives something called the "The Boilermaker Special" down to Bloomington.. at 45 MPH the WHOLE WAY.. there are hordes of hangers on following it (Including a horde of cars or firetrucks from various agencies from along the along the route), so it becomes an effective rolling slowdown.. I got stuck behind the thing once.

They only drive 45mph as there are two dudes in the back of it constantly beating on a drum. (I am not kidding lol)

This years is in Lafayette, so next year lol

Yeah, my lab partner is in Reamer Club and is one of the drivers, they drive about 30 mph faster than you say they do. Not to mention 45 mph is the construction speed limit anyway, not like it would be contributing to congestion there. 
contributing there.

The Special is capable of regular highway speeds.  The predecessor of the current one, the Boilermaker Special V, led a group of us out of the Tippecanoe Mall parking lot out IN 38 to I-65 and down to Bloomington for the Bucket game in 1999.  The Special traveled the prevailing speed all the way down on 65, 465, and 37.  It drives to away games and bowl games all over the place and would never get where it needed to if it were limited to 45 mph.  (The 2001 Rose Bowl trip was one of the few it didn't drive to; to save time (as well as probably due to the winter conditions crossing the Rockies), it was shipped to California.)

Last January 2, I was outside the Citrus Bowl stadium after the game as the Special was leaving; there were some people who were sure that the Special would not get onto the East-West Expressway (FL 408), but were shocked when it did.

In this case they had the giant drum in the tender and the guys were beating on it standing up while the special was in motion.. It was some time ago.

(Like it could have been eons ago, I have a photographic memory of sorts, and I am prone to remembering crap from EONs ago like it was yesterday)

Moose

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 01, 2023, 03:15:08 PM
There still seems to be signage of IN 37 along Interstate 69 between Bloomington and Martinsville (mostly none between Martinsville and Indianapolis), and there is still some signage of 37 along 69 north of 465. Once IN 37 is eventually split into a 3-legged highway, they may have to renumber the mileposts along the IN 37 expressway north of Interstate 69 in Fishers.

Yeah there really is. particularly on the Section 5 portion, where 69 and 37 shields sit next to each other on the BGS signs on the intersection roads.

Though my favorite is the Walnut street interchange, they didn't bother to put up BGS signs.. its shields on overhead wires. (like its been for eons)
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.232098,-86.5406828,3a,75y,3.95h,93.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssNXa80k64UNWg1YbsgdtsA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

No control city listed here LOL, just "Freeway Entrance"

Guess it was inevitable.

tdindy88

So I noticed something today driving along I-465 on the south side at the new I-69 interchange. I believe it's been mentioned but they have some new BGSs up with Harding Street along with an "Exit 4" tab on it, and not Exit 4A. On top of that I saw at the gore point where I-465 east exits off onto the new southbound I-69 there's a small sign with "Exit 5" on it. If this is correct it would seem that they may have dropped the Exit 4A and 4B identifiers for the new I-69 interchange complex with the Harding Street interchange. So it could just be Exit 4 for Harding Street and Exit 5 for I-69. Which, in my opinion, would be a better way to go anyway.

ITB

As expected, the upcoming lane shifts on I-465 are soon to happen.

According to the latest On Track Project Update, eastbound I-465 traffic between I-70 and US 31 will be transitioned to the new pavement starting at 11 pm on December 15. The change over process is planned to continue through the weekend and end around 5 am on December 18.

As part of the traffic switch, several ramps will be temporarily closed, including the eastbound entrance ramps from SR67/Kentucky Ave., Mann Road, and Harding Street, as well as eastbound and westbound ramps to I-465 from I-70. Two eastbound lanes of[ I-465 between I-70 and US 31 also will be temporarily closed.

I-69 Finish Line

Update: The impending traffic shift will begin at 9 pm on December 15, not at 11 pm.

Moose

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=853939010065456&set=a.516173620508665

"Attention motorists! Please prepare for delays on Thursday morning, as two lanes will be closed at Stones Crossing and Banta Road."

Moose

Any the lane closed noticed mysteriously poofed... lol

ITB

Here's another photo update using screen grabs from INDOT cameras. Lots has been going on this week. Crews have been working hard to get the new, realigned lanes of eastbound I-465 between Mann Road and US 31 ready for the upcoming traffic shift. The change over, as mentioned in a previous post, is planned to begin at 11 pm on December 15.

Let's go to the pictures. To start, we'll go with some screenshots from earlier in the week.

INDOT Traffic Camera
From Monday, a zoomed in shot from the Mann Road camera. On the right, a crew worked putting down concrete for the right shoulder. Like the right shoulder strip east of the White River bridge, this work had to done manually, foot by foot.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Also on Monday, a paving operation kicked off to pave another strip between the mainline bridges over Bluff Road and S. Meridian Street. This pavement will be for the future westbound lanes. As can be seen on the left, temporary asphalt pavement was placed to maintain three lanes of westbound traffic. As construction moves forward westbound traffic likely will be shifted to the new pavement. This will allow the old pavement adjacent to the new concrete to be ripped up and replaced, thereby widening the roadway to accommodate four lanes.

INDOT Traffic Camera
To the south of I-465, landscaping earthwork was underway north of the Southport Road interchange. In this area, almost all work has wrapped up for the season.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Another grab from the Mann Road camera, again on Monday. It's almost 7 pm and work is still ongoing.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking toward the I-69 interchange work zone as a relatively short December day begins to come to end. In Indianapolis, there was only 9 and a half hours of daylight on December 4th, to be exact, 9:30:42.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Here, again, is the right shoulder concrete crew at work making good progress as the sun came out in the afternoon.

INDOT Traffic Camera
A look at the new pavement strip east of the mainline bridge over Bluff Road. In the background is the paving crew at work. Take note how much they were able to pave in just a little over four hours.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Also on Tuesday, right shoulder paving was underway just west of the new mainline bridge over Harding Street.

INDOT Traffic Camera
On Wednesday morning, the right shoulder paving crew neared their completion point at the Harmon Ditch bridge, while a paving crew got ready to pave the strip adjacent to the retaining wall.

INDOT Traffic Camera
A closer look of the I-69 interchange work zone. Looks like they're making good progress on the north abutment for the I-69N to I-465W flyover.

INDOT Traffic Camera
On Thursday prior to sunrise, crew members arrive on site near the I-69 interchange work zone for another day of work.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Not a great picture, but here's the view in the other direction. Earlier in the week, the edge wall was paved with dry cast concrete.

INDOT Traffic Camera
East of the mainline bridge over Harding Street, another strip was recently paved, too. Not sure what they'll do with the left shoulder in this area. My guess is they'll put down some material and then place concrete barrier wall sections at the edge next to the new pavement.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Here again is the new pavement east of the mainline bridge over Bluff Road. As can be seen, this is where the pavement literally ends. What they're going to do here short term, I don't know. Will they finish this section up this month or next, or wait until spring?

INDOT Traffic Camera
And finally on Thursday, another look from the Mann Road camera. The right shoulder strip next to the retaining wall is now paved, and a crew worked to finish the last small section of the right shoulder.

silverback1065

INDOT and the construction contractor have done an amazing job of doing this so fast. I'm very impressed at the speed.  :clap:

abqtraveler

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 08, 2023, 08:41:21 AM
INDOT and the construction contractor have done an amazing job of doing this so fast. I'm very impressed at the speed.  :clap:
https://youtu.be/005uaVDyIk4?si=iEvcZZ9IA2guXqHO
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

cjw2001

Just bumped into this INDOT video on the bridge girder setting for the I 69 to I 465 ramp.  It is a couple months old but don't think it has been shared before here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74DQzJlLRkQ

mgk920

Am i not the only one in here who is thinking that perhaps it is time for INDOT to dispense with marking all of the various through 2DIs (and other routes, for that matter) on I-465 and just mention them in the BGSes on I-465 at their respective major interchanges (outbound) and as they approach I-465 "for NB I-xx follow I-465 (this way), etc" (inbound)?  I'm of the mind that this would be a major 'KISS' improvement.

Mike

I-55

Quote from: mgk920 on December 08, 2023, 02:07:07 PM
Am i not the only one in here who is thinking that perhaps it is time for INDOT to dispense with marking all of the various through 2DIs (and other routes, for that matter) on I-465 and just mention them in the BGSes on I-465 at their respective major interchanges (outbound) and as they approach I-465 "for NB I-xx follow I-465 (this way), etc" (inbound)?  I'm of the mind that this would be a major 'KISS' improvement.

Mike

If you're suggesting that all non-interstate routes concurrent with I-465 (US 52, US 31, SR 67, etc.) should be unsigned, INDOT is already ahead of you. I-74 is the only other route signed on I-465, with I-69 soon to follow. I wouldn't recommend an unsigned gap in a 2di, the current state of signage is adequate.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

jnewkirk77

Mike

With the exception of I-74 (and, soon, I-69), they really haven't marked them, except as you suggest with the "FOLLOW" signs, which I remember as far back as the '80s when it was just 421 and 52 that followed it.

SSR_317

Mike
INDOT does not sign non-Interstates along I-465.

mgk920

Quote from: SSR_317 on December 08, 2023, 02:58:33 PM

Mike

Kewl    :cool:

Mike

Moose

There used to be "direction" signs.. the sign would tell you to follow 465 to such and such exit and get off for each route.. but I haven't seen even them in years.

The 36/67 one on Pendleton pike was pretty busy.. but even those appear to have disappeared.

In-67 on the south side still has it's sign.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6972433,-86.26656,3a,75y,35.43h,95.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDtD4q6_R5d6U-q9xoYByyw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

roadman65

Quote from: Moose on December 08, 2023, 04:42:23 PM

There used to be "direction" signs.. the sign would tell you to follow 465 to such and such exit and get off for each route.. but I haven't seen even them in years.

The 36/67 one on Pendleton pike was pretty busy.. but even those appear to have disappeared.

In-67 on the south side still has it's sign.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6972433,-86.26656,3a,75y,35.43h,95.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDtD4q6_R5d6U-q9xoYByyw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

US 31 had one in 08 I snapped a pic of. Of corse that's over 13 years ago, and a lot can happen even in one month.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Mike
Maybe that's also the reason for the mileage cap it currently has?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jnewkirk77

"Follow" signs that still existed last time I checked:

WEST: US 40 EB to 465/74 SB: https://maps.app.goo.gl/82YrGCBYp6kQPTdHA
SW: SR 67 NB before ramp to 465/74 EB: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xSczvrkoQMYj21Dz8
SE: US 421 NB from 74 WB to 465 NB: https://maps.app.goo.gl/64YgPsS38d8RgEjN8
NW: US 421 SB to 465 EB - used to be on the ramp, now it's north of 96th: https://maps.app.goo.gl/poLfBdjmZrUjZSSu8
NW: US 52 EB to 465 EB - this is an oldie, still button copy! Just west of the 865/465 junction. https://maps.app.goo.gl/VgGm2TGaHPQDvQju5

Gone:

EAST: US 40 WB is now co-signed on a BGS with 465 SB at the ramp from WB Washington to 465 SB.
SE: US 52 WB is co-signed on a BGS with 465 at the ramp from Brookville Rd to 465 NB.
NE: US 36 & SR 67 are co-signed on a BGS with 465 SB on Pendleton Pike to 465 SB.
NORTH & SOUTH: US 31 is co-signed with 465 (north side) and 465/74 (south side)
NW: US 52 EB is now co-signed with 865 EB to 465 EB. There used to be a follow sign about where the Soldiers & Sailors Garden is in the Lincoln Memory Gardens cemetery that lies between Indianapolis Road and 65, south of Whitestown Parkway (old 334).

cjw2001

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on December 09, 2023, 07:45:17 PM
"Follow" signs that still existed last time I checked:

WEST: US 40 EB to 465/74 SB: https://maps.app.goo.gl/82YrGCBYp6kQPTdHA
SW: SR 67 NB before ramp to 465/74 EB: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xSczvrkoQMYj21Dz8
SE: US 421 NB from 74 WB to 465 NB: https://maps.app.goo.gl/64YgPsS38d8RgEjN8
NW: US 421 SB to 465 EB - used to be on the ramp, now it's north of 96th: https://maps.app.goo.gl/poLfBdjmZrUjZSSu8
NW: US 52 EB to 465 EB - this is an oldie, still button copy! Just west of the 865/465 junction. https://maps.app.goo.gl/VgGm2TGaHPQDvQju5

Gone:

EAST: US 40 WB is now co-signed on a BGS with 465 SB at the ramp from WB Washington to 465 SB.
SE: US 52 WB is co-signed on a BGS with 465 at the ramp from Brookville Rd to 465 NB.
NE: US 36 & SR 67 are co-signed on a BGS with 465 SB on Pendleton Pike to 465 SB.
NORTH & SOUTH: US 31 is co-signed with 465 (north side) and 465/74 (south side)
NW: US 52 EB is now co-signed with 865 EB to 465 EB. There used to be a follow sign about where the Soldiers & Sailors Garden is in the Lincoln Memory Gardens cemetery that lies between Indianapolis Road and 65, south of Whitestown Parkway (old 334).

Follow sign for US 31 southbound still exists as of July 2023:  https://maps.app.goo.gl/oH9siS9mg7YY2rM56

ITB

On a whim, I looked up FEMA Flood Zone maps for parts of the I-69 corridor in Marion and Morgan counties. The results were eye-opening.

As can be seen, the area where the I-69/I-465 interchange is under construction is nearly surrounded by floodplain. To get your bearings, the I-465 — SR 37/Harding Street interchange is located in the upper right. Just to the left is Haueisen Ditch, which goes underneath I-465 via a large culvert. The wide striped pattern further left is the White River's regulatory floodway. And left of that, also striped, is the floodway of Harmon Ditch.

Flood zones are ranked according to risk. The highest risk areas, termed Special Flood Hazard Areas, are labeled either "A" or "AE." There are other A-labels, such as AH and AO, but for simplicity, let's just stick to the labels shown on the maps.

Although flood zone labeling has changed somewhat in recent years, it's still fairly straightforward:

A — blue in color; a flood zone that has NOT been analyzed in detail; no base flood elevation (BFE)
AE — blue in color; flood zone that has been analyzed in detail and includes a BFE

Both A and AE zones have a 1% chance of flooding each year, also known as the 100-year floodplain

Striped area — Regulatory Floodway Area

X — light brown in color; a flood zone with moderate or low risk

X zones have a .2% chance of flooding annually

In the map above, the black squiggly lines show how far and wide the flood will spread with each stipulated increase in water depth. The new terrain route of I-69 south of I-465, which runs between the two quarries, is shown as being in floodplain. But that's not the situation now, as the ground of that section of I-69 roadway was undoubtedly built up. The floodplain was probably why the initial plans had I-69 going over Epler Avenue instead of the other way around, Epler over I-69, which was ultimately built.

North of Martinsville in Morgan County, the area of the Henderson Ford Road interchange. On the right is the flood zone of Stotts Creek, which is quite sizeable. Southwest of the interchange (bottom left) was a large floodplain. That's where the mainline bridges were built crossing a dry swale, most certainly because of the floodplain. And, again, the ground on which the roadways were constructed was most certainly built up.

Further south in Morgan County, the area of the Liberty Church Road interchange. The map shows a section of I-69, as well as small parts of the interchange ramps and associated frontage roads, in a high risk flood zone. Undoubtedly, those sections of road were built up, too, and when the map is updated, the designated flood zone area will likely shrink in the vicinity of the interchange.

And here's the city of Martinsville, or rather a good chunk of it. Sections of Martinsville have flooded in the past, the most memorable recent event being the flood of 2008. Of interest, the map shows SR 39 on the western edge of the city as a levee, in addition to being a road. No doubt that section was built up because of previous flooding. The striped section east of SR 39 indicates the area as a reduced flood risk due to the levee.

Moose

Quote from: ITB on December 10, 2023, 11:49:59 PM

On a whim, I looked up FEMA Flood Zone maps for parts of the I-69 corridor in Marion and Morgan counties. The results were eye-opening.

More than the flood zone, the area of the 465 interchanges are dictated by those freaking deep quarry lakes.
I remember that there was a tradeoff fight here. Perry township isn't blessed with a lot of industrial tax base and this I-69 interchange was and still is poised to take a lot of it off the Perry Twp tax rolls. The original drawings had more of the quarry lake being filled in.. until they figured out how much it would take to fill those in. I forget how deep those quarries are, but they are really deep.

The local companies had actually been slowly working to fill those lakes back in, but it's a slow process, as particularly in the lake between the new I-69 and the old In-37 is the deepest of them all.

As to flooding and more south, the problem area that floods the most is where Stotts Creek flows into the West Branch of the White River. I remember thinking, they really should have raised this more than they did.. Martinsville is now a little higher then it was, I think.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5008678,-86.3326785,3a,75y,329.16h,87.81t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMuGEmh18Kth5Pzv7d7ZDcg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DMuGEmh18Kth5Pzv7d7ZDcg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D34.899487%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Moose

ITB

Picture time. Without further adieu, to the photos, which were taken Sunday, December 10, 2023.

It was unfortunately another dark, grayish day. I did some post-processing work to lighten some of the photos.

The girders of the I-69N to I-465W flyover; looking slightly northeast. Guardrail is now in place along the exit ramp to Harding Street/SR 37.

Looking north toward the I-69/I-465 interchange from the Epler Avenue overpass. A lot of paving has taken place here in the past month.

Looking northwest toward the gore point where the ramp to I-69S splits off from I-465 east. On the right, a bobtail truck enters the ramp to Harding Street. Also visible on the right is a section of MSE wall for the north abutment of the I-69N to I-465W flyover.

Long range shot looking slightly northeast from the Epler Avenue overpass.

Turning around, here's the view looking southeast from Epler.

Closer look of the new pavement as well as the sign mounted on the truck; looking east. If it looks a little chilly, I can assure you it was.

Here's the view looking in the other direction. In the deep background left, two vehicles, headlights on, can be discerned coming down the Mann Road entrance ramp. Also, here's that triangular sliver that was pictured in an earlier INDOT camera screenshot getting its concrete.

The ramp from I-465E to I-69S; looking southeast.

Another look northeast as cars zip down the exit ramp to Harding Street.

Closer look of the I-69 interchange with all four movements clearly defined; looking north from Epler.

Another perspective looking slightly northeast.

Long range view looking southeast from the Epler Avenue overpass.

The ramp from I-465E to I-69S; looking east.

Another look north from Epler.

Zoomed in look. I should have cranked down the aperture and boosted the ISO, but in a hurry with hands freezing, it is what it is.

Looking north from the Sunshine Gardens neighborhood. The Harding Street power station, which is one of the main sources of electricity in Indianapolis, is gas-fired, having been converted from coal in 2016. It is operated by AES Indiana, a subsidiary of power giant AES.

And looking slightly northwest toward the ramp from I-465E to I-69S.

One more. Road closed!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.