News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

More screenshots:

I-69 Finish Line; On Track Project Update, December 11, 2023
Aerial of the I-69/I-465 interchange construction zone; looking east. The is a recent picture, probably a week to three weeks old. Almost all of the new eastbound roadway is paved, save a couple of strips and wedges. From this vantage point, it's clear the north abutment of the I-465W to I-69S flyover (the partially built bridge) will be located smack dab in the middle of the currently used roadways of I-465. Also, note the barrier wall sections already in place on the new pavement for the impending traffic shift.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Zoomed in view from the Mann Road camera. Final preparations are underway for the upcoming eastbound traffic shift to the new pavement. That will get underway Friday night, December 15, beginning at 9 pm. Last night more concrete barrier sections were trucked in and placed. Why the barriers bulb out in that one spot, I have no idea. Orange now seems to be the favored color for concrete curing blankets.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Striping was put down on the new pavement yesterday. Initially, when I saw this my first impression was, whoa, what's going on here? Are they not planning to place westbound traffic on the new pavement? Well, soon enough, what happened was revealed — they screwed up with the striping (see next picture).

INDOT Traffic Camera
Here's what it looks like after the redo. I imagine there was some unhappiness among those concerned, but sometimes these things happen, particularly on a big project like this where numerous jobs are juggled simultaneously.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view in the other direction. A section of guide rail has been installed to protect the sign foundation. Can't have a vehicle ramming that, can we? In the road barrier industry, guide rail appears to be the preferred term instead of guardrail, though both can be used interchangeably. In the background, coming along very nicely is the north abutment of the I-69N to I-465W flyover. If the relatively mild early winter weather continues they might finish it up in another month.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Early evening shot. Only eight days to go until we begin to gain daylight.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on December 14, 2023, 01:22:04 PM
Early evening shot. Only eight days to go until we begin to gain daylight.

Fun fact: The earliest sunset, specifically, of the year in the area occurred about a week ago.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Moose

Quote from: ITB on December 12, 2023, 02:23:55 PM

Closer look of the new pavement as well as the sign mounted on the truck; looking east. If it looks a little chilly, I can assure you it was.

The dirty deed has been done... the infamous Harding Street exit sign truck has been driven off site.. whatever the case may be.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Moose on December 16, 2023, 04:27:46 PM
Quote from: ITB on December 12, 2023, 02:23:55 PM

Closer look of the new pavement as well as the sign mounted on the truck; looking east. If it looks a little chilly, I can assure you it was.

The dirty deed has been done... the infamous Harding Street exit sign truck has been driven off site.. whatever the case may be.
I also just noticed they have installed the Texas-style light towers at the interchange and it looks like continuing down I-465 in the background as well.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Interstate 69 Fan

It's just off the side of the future EB lanes - saw it driving WB this afternoon.

There's also signs covered up just west of the Mann Rd overpass over the EB lanes - wonder what these signs will have on them when revealed.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

tdindy88

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 16, 2023, 08:45:10 PM
It's just off the side of the future EB lanes - saw it driving WB this afternoon.

There's also signs covered up just west of the Mann Rd overpass over the EB lanes - wonder what these signs will have on them when revealed.

It's a Travel Time sign with distances to I-65 and I-74. It generally replaces one that had been in a similar location before.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 16, 2023, 10:34:58 PM

It's a Travel Time sign with distances to I-65 and I-74. It generally replaces one that had been in a similar location before.

those things are so useful!

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 16, 2023, 10:34:58 PM

I guessed that for one, but there's 2 covered up ones.

ITB

Around 10 pm the new I-465 pavement between SR 67 (Kentucky Avenue) and US 31 was successfully opened to eastbound traffic. Crews were able to accomplish the traffic pattern change a day and half earlier than originally scheduled.

Here's a couple of screen shots. Because INDOT has switched to its livestream cameras, the images are lower in resolution.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking slightly northeast toward the I-69 interchange work zone. The new pavement is on the right, with concrete barriers placed to form a median.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And here's the view looking slightly southeast.

Rain moved through most of Indiana tonight, but good weather is projected for next week. There will be no white Christmas this year in Indy, as the forecast is showing a high of 55 degrees.

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on December 17, 2023, 12:07:26 AM

Rain moved through most of Indiana tonight, but good weather is projected for next week. There will be no white Christmas this year in Indy, as the forecast is showing a high of 55 degrees.
That's climate change for you! :D
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Moose

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 16, 2023, 11:19:40 PM

those things are so useful!

Well for the most part they are. Do have to chuckle at the times they posts when traffic is flowing freely, they strictly calculate the speed limit.

But they can help if there is a backup somewhere.

Moose

Quote from: ITB on December 17, 2023, 12:07:26 AM

I won't be shedding a tear myself..

But anymore.. it seems to fool you, you get through December and Part of January only to get at least one week long nasty freeze in February.

ibthebigd

That artic air last year around Christmas was crazy. The rest of the winter wasn't bad.

SM-G996U

Moose

https://i69finishline.com/on-track-project-update-december-18-2023/?fbclid=IwAR20XnyuEb0MsjtII9lLjxOnU2x2znU8eZKTDdl-wPuLVWHuB1dE4gudbVQ

Latest update.

WB lanes get moved to the new pavement Dec. 22

The much Maligned on Facebook orange barrels making the area around 144 single lane will soon be removed. (No one here, but it seems like random people complain about this every post that the 69 Finish Line team makes.

ITB

Quote from: Moose on December 19, 2023, 08:34:03 PM
https://i69finishline.com/on-track-project-update-december-18-2023/?fbclid=IwAR20XnyuEb0MsjtII9lLjxOnU2x2znU8eZKTDdl-wPuLVWHuB1dE4gudbVQ

Latest update.

WB lanes get moved to the new pavement Dec. 22

Although this news didn't particularly surprise me, the speed at which they are pushing forward has been nothing short of impressive. And in mid-December, no less. It's worth mentioning again the westbound traffic shift is necessary to complete the I-69/I-465 interchange, as well as to facilitate the tearing down and rebuilding of the I-465 westbound bridges over the White River and Harmon Ditch. Also, the I-465 westbound bridges over Harding Street, the Indiana Railroad track, and Bluff Road, all must be replaced with new, wider structures as well.

Here's a few screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras. Unfortunately, the quality of the pictures is poor because the INDOT TrafficWise live stream cameras are currently operating at low resolution. An upgrade to HD is probably in the works, but if and when that might happen is not known.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking east toward the I-69 interchange work zone. In preparation for the westbound traffic shift, material is being compacted for a temporary lane and narrow shoulder. This lane will be topped with asphalt, which should suffice for a year as the new westbound lanes are constructed.

INDOT Traffic Camera
East of the I-465 bridges over the White River, here again is the unfinished strip which will become the temporary lane.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And the view looking west, showing the ongoing lane work, with the Mann Road overpass in the background. Even though temps are well below ideal for paving, the temporary lane will be topped with asphalt. Because it's temporary, the asphalt doesn't need to compacted to the same extent it would be if permanent. Also, asphalt plants normally shut down for the winter, but for this project, highlighting its importance, one has remained open.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking east from the Mann Road overpass. In the vicinity of the Harmon Ditch bridge (background, little black strip), the westbound lanes will likely transition back to old pavement. It's possible the westbound lanes will be temporarily split crossing over Harmon Ditch, for instance two lanes on the new eastbound bridge, and one on the old bridge.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Earlier from Sunday just after the eastbound lane shift, the view looking east toward the White River bridges. They didn't waste any time to begin the process to shift the westbound lanes — drizzly and cold it was, and on Sunday, no less.

INDOT Traffic Camera
East of the I-465/Harding Street interchange, asphalt was being placed to facilitate the upcoming westbound traffic shift. Again, because it's asphalt, it's intended to be temporary.

Because of the quality of the screen shots, I was hesitant to post them. But I figure, they are better than nothing.

JREwing78

Are there substantial financial benefits to the contractor for early (or earlier) completion?

SM-G991U

ITB

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 20, 2023, 06:52:09 AM
Are there substantial financial benefits to the contractor for early (or earlier) completion?

SM-G991U

Probably not. Although it might seem the project is ahead of schedule, that's probably not the case. More likely they're simply on schedule. Helmed by a joint venture called the Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team (WMDBT), the entire project is expected to be substantially complete by the end of 2024. They have a lot of work to do and not all that much time to do it.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Here's a zoomed in view looking west toward the I-69 interchange work zone. Is that the location where the westbound lanes will be shifted to the new eastbound pavement? Seems a little unlikely, but it's possible. The westbound changeover is more complex than the recently completed eastbound shift. Exactly how it will all play out is hard to say.

Moose

Quote from: ITB on December 20, 2023, 02:50:54 AM

Also, the I-465 westbound bridges over Harding Street, the Indiana Railroad track, and Bluff Road, all must be replaced with new, wider structures as well.

Ahh I forgot the INRD had requested when INDOT redid things, that a little breathing room would be appreciated.

When that overpass was built, rebuilt, whatever the last time, there was only a single track under there.

Since then, sometime in the early 2000s, INRD added a passing siding there, and it was.. a challenge to shoehorn all that under there. Even with the 465 bridges, it was still the best place to put a siding as there is a gap in the road grid system with Thompson Road not being a through road in that block. This gives them a long section of track they don't have to cut crossings on.

Even still, its uncomfortably tight under that bridge with two tracks. I am sure both the railroad and INDOT will be happy with a little more room under that bridge.

ITB

Quote from: Moose on December 20, 2023, 12:49:29 PM
Quote from: ITB on December 20, 2023, 02:50:54 AM

Also, the I-465 westbound bridges over Harding Street, the Indiana Railroad track, and Bluff Road, all must be replaced with new, wider structures as well.

Ahh I forgot the INRD had requested when INDOT redid things, that a little breathing room would be appreciated.

When that overpass was built, rebuilt, whatever the last time, there was only a single track under there.

Since then, sometime in the early 2000s, INRD added a passing siding there, and it was.. a challenge to shoehorn all that under there. Even with the 465 bridges, it was still the best place to put a siding as there is a gap in the road grid system with Thompson Road not being a through road in that block. This gives them a long section of track they don't have to cut crossings on.

Even still, its uncomfortably tight under that bridge with two tracks. I am sure both the railroad and INDOT will be happy with a little more room under that bridge.

Interesting factoid. At some point I'll try to take a picture. Lots of fencing up around that area, so we'll see.

ITB

More pictures. Photos were taken Wednesday, December 20, 2023.

Zoomed in shot looking east toward I-465 from the Mann Road overpass. In the background is the location where the westbound lanes will be transitioned from the new pavement back to old just west of the new eastbound White River bridge. In the mid-foreground, work is underway near the new bridge over Harmon Ditch. Bear in mind, because of the telephoto lens, everything is pulled in closer in the photo. The distance shown is about two miles; take note of the mileage on the Harding Street exit sign.

Looking west toward I-465, with the Mann Road overpass in the background.

Different perspective looking east toward I-465 from Thompson Road about a quarter mile east of the Mann Road overpass. Although it appears to be just a path, this section of Thompson Road is an actual public road. There's a handful of houses down there. After the construction on I-465 wraps up, it will likely be paved.

Signage close up. This sign is also seen in the prior photo.

Another look east from the Mann Road overpass. In this area, old asphalt has been milled to prepare for the construction of two additional eastbound lanes plus a left shoulder. More than likely this work will take place in the spring.

Looking north under the new eastbound I-465 bridge over Harmon Ditch, where partial demolition of the old westbound span is underway.

The view looking west from the Mann Road overpass. Since the signs are covered, the probably indicate the I-69S movement and mileage to.

Closer look of the new eastbound pavement of I-465; looking east.

East of the Harmon Ditch work zone, sign structures at the base of eastbound I-465 await placement. Although the White River is about a quarter miles further east, this area is floodplain.

Long range shot looking east from the Mann Road overpass.

Different perspective of the demo work underway at the Harmon Ditch work zone; looking north.

Another look west toward the Mann Road overpass.

One more zoomed in shot from the Mann Road overpass.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: ITB on December 21, 2023, 03:56:08 PM

Zoomed in shot looking east toward I-465 from the Mann Road overpass. In the background is the location where the westbound lanes will be transitioned from the new pavement back to old just west of the new eastbound White River bridge. In the mid-foreground, work is underway near the new bridge over Harmon Ditch. Bear in mind, because of the telephoto lens, everything is pulled in closer in the photo. The distance shown is about two miles; take note of the mileage on the Harding Street exit sign.
Quite shocked there's no BGS poles there for Exit 5, as it's now called.

ITB

There was a major crash this morning on the westbound lanes of I-465 just east of the Harding Street exit.

INDOT Traffic Camera
All westbound lanes were blocked for upwards of an hour. The view is looking west toward the mainline bridges over Bluff Road.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking east toward the area of the incident.

INDOT Traffic Camera
At least one semi-truck was involved, which is pictured here getting towed from the scene.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Long range shot looking east toward the incident. Around 9 am the lanes were reopened.

On another matter, last night westbound traffic was shifted to the new eastbound pavement just west of the I-465/Harding Street interchange.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Westbound traffic is transitioned back to old pavement after it has crossed the White River bridge.

ITB

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 21, 2023, 05:10:11 PM
Quote from: ITB on December 21, 2023, 03:56:08 PM

Quite shocked there's no BGS poles there for Exit 5, as it's now called.

There's a foundation for a major sign structure, which could be for an overhead span. I imagine the signs mounted on this overhead will be for Exit 5.

On the south side of I-465 about a half mile east of the Mann Road overpass.

Another perspective; looking slightly northeast.

Although the foundation is not visible, the signs pictured above are.

ITB

Another INDOT traffic camera screen grab:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking toward the I-69 interchange work zone where westbound I-465 traffic has been shifted to the new eastbound pavement. This traffic pattern will continue through 2024 and will facilitate the completion of the interchange.

monty

I drove east on I465 on the SW side of Indy this week and missed the SR 37 exit because it was only identified as Harding Street and not SR 37 or I 69. You'd think there'd be some sort of temporary sign up for those of us not that familiar with the area to exit onto a significant highway route. 
monty

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.