News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: I-55 on January 09, 2024, 09:37:05 AM
Fun note: I-69 Finish Line is being used for Purdue's civil engineering senior design project. Personally, my stretch entails I-65 to East Street (US 31)
*INDOT/Consultant takes class' work*

INDOT PE: I'm not stamping this.

:D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Rothman on January 10, 2024, 04:57:10 PM
Fun note: I-69 Finish Line is being used for Purdue's civil engineering senior design project. Personally, my stretch entails I-65 to East Street (US 31)

"Who replaced the I-69/465 interchange with a roundabout?"

Moose

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 10, 2024, 05:19:48 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 10, 2024, 04:57:10 PM

"Who replaced the I-69/465 interchange with a roundabout?"

This isn't an English Motorway thankfully...

I think were about to get a week long ish nasty cold snap.

ITB

Here's a screen grab from the On Track Project Update of January 8:

On Track Project Update, I-69 Finish Line
On the south side of Indianapolis, looking west toward the I-465 bridges over S. Meridian Street. As can be seen, eastbound traffic has been shifted to new pavement and then brought across S. Meridian Street. With the lane shift accomplished, the old eastbound bridge over S. Meridian will be taken down and replaced with a new, wider bridge. After that project completes, eastbound traffic will be shifted back and work will then commence on completing the westbound bridge. In the foreground, work is underway on the new westbound bridge over Lick Creek. The I-69 interchange work zone is in the upper left but is not quite visible.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Just east of the I-465 bridges over Bluff Road is where eastbound traffic is transitioned to the new pavement. This pavement will eventually become the inner shoulder and the two left lanes of the future westbound roadway. Moving quickly, crews are milling and removing the pavement of the former eastbound lanes. When those new lanes complete, eastbound traffic will be shifted onto them and westbound traffic will be moved to the new pavement where eastbound traffic currently runs, allowing construction to proceed and complete the westbound lanes. Bear in mind, the poor quality of the image is due to the low resolution of INDOT's live streaming cameras. The live steaming is great; I just wish the resolution was higher.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking toward the girders of the partially built flyover that will carry I-69N traffic to I-465W. It appears the plan is to stretch girders to the north abutment without the construction of an additional pier. To do that, a concrete pad will first have to be built as a base for the framework that will be used to temporarily support the next set of girders. The work to build the pad may be underway now. In the background, a pile driving rig is positioned for the construction of another pier for the I-465W to I-69S flyover.

For those of you who are wondering why certain I-465 projects are included in the I-69 extension topic there's a very simple explanation. All the work currently underway on I-465 on the south side of Indianapolis, including the new I-69 interchange, plus other work just to the south to upgrade SR 37 to I-69, is covered under one very large contract, termed Contract #5 of Section 6.

As we've been talking about, bitter cold weather is forecast to arrive early next week in central Indiana. Construction work, I imagine, will completely cease for a number of days. When work resumes, whenever that might be, the ground will be frozen solid, probably upwards of three feet deep. The frost line for Marion County is 54 inches. I'm not sure how much impact that will have on work as it moves forward in the weeks ahead. In regards to crew members, well, they want to work because for many no work means no paycheck. Winters in central Indiana tend to wax and wane. There are periods — a few days or a week or so — when it gets cold, sometimes very, very cold, but then temperatures tend to return to normal or slightly above. Rarely do bitter cold temperatures stick around for long stretches.

Most of us are fortunate to be well protected from the elements, but there is a sizeable number in Indiana and, of course, elsewhere, who are less so, for example those living in mobile homes, which tend to have only modest amounts of insulation. It's important to keep them in mind. Sometimes people need help, all the more so when cold weather hits and punches hard. Personally, I enjoy having four seasons to experience, but this fondness does not extend to bitter cold which is hard on everyone as well as vehicles and machines. Almost everyone who has to keep a vehicle outside dreads the slow cranks of mornings. To wrap up on a more positive note, we're on the verge of gaining 10 or more minutes of daylight each week now. And March is only 48 days away. Before we know it, a hint of spring will be in the air. But first ... brrr!

KelleyCook

I-69 Finish Line 2023 accomplishment video

ITB

Although temperatures were in the single digits, a few crews were back to work after the three day holiday weekend.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Zoomed in view from the Mann Road camera; looking east. In the background, the deck of the I-465 westbound bridge over the White River has been removed. At the time the screen shot was grabbed, the temperature reported at Indianapolis International Airport was 9° F.

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on January 16, 2024, 01:55:12 PM
Although temperatures were in the single digits, a few crews were back to work after the three day holiday weekend.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Zoomed in view from the Mann Road camera; looking east. In the background, the deck of the I-465 westbound bridge over the White River has been removed. At the time the screen shot was grabbed, the temperature reported at Indianapolis International Airport was 9° F.
They can do demo work and maybe some earthwork, but 9° F is way too cold to pour concrete.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Rick Powell

Quote from: abqtraveler on January 17, 2024, 08:26:05 AM
They can do demo work and maybe some earthwork, but 9° F is way too cold to pour concrete.
It can be done, but at additional cost. Heat the water and/or the aggregates at the plant, pre-heat any frozen surface that will contact the pour, provide insulated cover for curing period, heated forms, etc. 

ITB

Last night and this morning a winter weather event passed through central Indiana bringing accumulating snow. The area south of Indianapolis saw school closures in several counties. They used to call these "snow days," but now term them, ahem!, eLearning days.

Here's some screenshots of I-69 from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
The Henderson Ford Road/I-69 interchange in Morgan County; looking east.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking southwest toward the mainline bridges over Stotts Creek about a mile north of the Henderson Ford Road interchange. In this area, the northbound lanes are currently narrowed down to one due to work to fix an embankment issue near the northbound bridge over Crooked Creek. The work, which has been ongoing for a few months, is not due to the recent winter weather.

INDOT Traffic Camera
In Martinsville, a southwest view from the Ohio Street interchange. That exit ramp looks a little slippery, or as they like to say on the news, "slick, snow covered, and hazardous."

INDOT Traffic Camera
To the north in southern Marion County, looking north from near the Southport Road interchange. Underneath that white blanket of snow are the future southbound lanes of I-69.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And here's the view looking south toward the Southport Road interchange. On the right is S. Belmont Avenue.

INDOT Traffic Camera
In Johnson County, the Smith Valley Road overpass and interchange.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Turning around, the view looking southeast from near the Smith Valley interchange. That's a strange looking vehicle on the southbound lanes, whatever it is. No, not the pickup truck.

INDOT Traffic Camera
In Indianapolis, a mid-range zoomed in view of I-465 from the Mann Road camera.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And to the east on I-465, the view looking east from near the mainline bridges over Bluff Road.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Back in Johnson County, looking south toward the former and now sealed off SR 37/Fairview Road intersection.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The County Line Road/I-69 interchange on the border between Johnson and Marion counties.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And further south, in Morgan County, looking north from near the Teeters Road overpass.

It's going to get cold again this weekend with overnight temperatures dropping in the low single digits (F°). Nothing particularly unusual for this time of year, although these bitter cold snaps don't happen every year. Beginning next Monday, temps are expected to rebound to the low and mid-40s for most of the week. 

Moose

Thread has gone quiet.

Smith Valley road is completely finished.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=894799815979375&set=pcb.894965755962781

And Demo work continues on the 465 portion.

Weather is just getting back nice enough to start kicking up construction full steam again.
https://i69finishline.com/on-track-project-update-january-29-2024/?fbclid=IwAR0NweKkpn3y-gFRE0PNTKF43tx6seIhbZ0GOywZoK-xG1RzJuWk6x0BzRU

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Moose on February 04, 2024, 12:46:06 AM
Thread has gone quiet.

Smith Valley road is completely finished.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=894799815979375&set=pcb.894965755962781

And Demo work continues on the 465 portion.

Weather is just getting back nice enough to start kicking up construction full steam again.
https://i69finishline.com/on-track-project-update-january-29-2024/?fbclid=IwAR0NweKkpn3y-gFRE0PNTKF43tx6seIhbZ0GOywZoK-xG1RzJuWk6x0BzRU

Went through the area on Friday (and will again this coming Thursday).  Although there still are a few small areas of construction along the way, Everything is really focused on the last five or six miles.  I'm noticing roadways done that weren't open very recently.

ITB

Here's a trio of screen grabs from recent issues of the On Track Project Update newsletter:

I-69 Finish Line, On Track Project Update
Aerial shot of the I-69/I-465 interchange work zone; looking west. This is from mid-December just after the westbound traffic shift to the new pavement of the eastbound lanes. It's going to take several months to complete the flyovers and their respective ramps, but we'll likely see the placement of girders and beams in the not too distant future, probably sometime between March and May.

To the east, the view of I-465 and the recently demolished bridge over S. Meridian Street. A new, wider eastbound bridge will now be constructed over S. Meridian. After that completes, eastbound traffic will be shifted back, and construction will then commence on the second phase of the westbound bridge. In the background, work is underway on the first phase of the new, wider westbound bridge over Lick Creek.

Early morning shot of the recently completed SR 144 interchange in Johnson County; looking east.

The weather of late has been very good. A little wet, but temperatures have been well above average. The ground is no longer frozen, and unless another deep freeze sweeps over central Indiana in the next couple of weeks, it will stay that way. The long range forecast is projecting average to above average temperatures, so the window for another blast of winter is rapidly closing. Although bitter cold is unusual for early March, the weather can be fickle, swinging between cold days with snow and ice to very warm spring-like temperatures. At this time, it looks like it's trending toward seasonal or warmer temperatures, but that can change.

One of my fond memories when younger was waking unexpectedly to find five inches on the ground on a morning in mid-March. Eagerly I awaited the announcement whether the schools would be closed. And, yes!, prayers answered. You see I had a test that day, and I was a wee bit, hmm, let's say unprepared. Anyway, with the good weather, construction has been ramping up. If it holds, it will allow crews to kick start the busy months ahead.

Couple of screen grabs from INDOT live stream cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Zoomed in view looking east from near the Mann Road overpass. In the background left, the deck has been removed from the westbound bridge over the White River. Next step, the removal of the beams and piers.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Two nights ago a trio of excavators was in operation at the I-69 interchange work zone. The work continued well into the wee hours. Apparently, they wanted to get done what they wanted to get done.

Moose

And just as I went to look, a planned list of projects.

https://i69finishline.com/on-track-project-update-february-5-2024/?fbclid=IwAR1JU3p2mKaZ-YyySqG_YmOGugkMQABmq2eU_9ulFcjLf2seBzwvmzCqX_M

Bridge Beam setting at Harmond Ditch and Bluff Road
More demo work on the bridge at White River, and a wall near Mann Road.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on February 04, 2024, 07:59:09 PM

Early morning shot of the recently completed SR 144 interchange in Johnson County; looking east.

Wow.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ITB

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 05, 2024, 09:53:33 PM
Quote from: ITB on February 04, 2024, 07:59:09 PM

Wow.

Indeed, a very nice photo. On a more sobering note, the picture depicts what I believe to be a road hazard. It's that small hump on CR 144, which can be seen just above the BGS. The hump partially obscures oncoming traffic to drivers who are intending to turn left from CR 144 to Bluff Creek Pkwy., the new frontage road. To me, this is a serious hazard as westbound CR 144 traffic is often traveling at considerable speed. All the more so for drivers in low profile vehicles who cannot see clearly over the hump. I feel it's only a matter of time before there's a terrible incident.

Drivers who regularly travel the area, I imagine, are quite aware they need to take care, but I wonder whether it should be officially reported to INDOT. At this same time, I question if I'm overreacting, conflating what some might consider a minor issue into something more. Should INDOT be notified about this issue?

bmeiser

Quote from: ITB on February 06, 2024, 03:03:01 PM
Should INDOT be notified about this issue?

I don't think it would hurt. Maybe some pictures could be included from a driver's perspective at that intersection that show the issue more clearly. Would at least make INDOT aware of a potential problem. Maybe, at the very least, the speed limit could be reduced in that area.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: bmeiser on February 06, 2024, 03:25:58 PM

I don't think it would hurt. Maybe some pictures could be included from a driver's perspective at that intersection that show the issue more clearly. Would at least make INDOT aware of a potential problem. Maybe, at the very least, the speed limit could be reduced in that area.
I don't think they do, I quite regularly turn left there and have zero problem seeing past that hump. It looks like it's pretty high from a distance, but in reality it's not that significant.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ITB

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 06, 2024, 05:07:05 PM
Quote from: bmeiser on February 06, 2024, 03:25:58 PM

I don't think they do, I quite regularly turn left there and have zero problem seeing past that hump. It looks like it's pretty high from a distance, but in reality it's not that significant.

I, too, have used the left turn, not often, but enough times for it to concern me. And I should add I'm sitting up pretty high in the vehicle. Yes, one can see the road beyond over the hump, at least I could, but that's not the problem. The real issue is the little dip just behind the hump where vehicles, particularly those which are low profile, nearly disappear from view. If you're not paying attention, a vehicle can zip over that hump and be right there before you know it. How do I know? Well, let's say, personal experience. Bear in mind, some drivers along that stretch are zipping along at a pretty good clip, with some going 40 plus.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I'm on the fence whether this should be reported or not. I also tend to think INDOT is already aware of the situation. What I'll do first, as was suggested, is to take some pictures from the standpoint of a driver. Moreover, as was noted previously, it wouldn't hurt to notify. Is the intersection dangerous? No. But it's a concern, at least to me. I'd feel more comfortable if an INDOT engineer took a look. Maybe the intersection and the little hump will be deemed okay and we'll move on, but that may not be the case.

silverback1065

:hmmm: perhaps this is a sight distance issue?

Interstate 69 Fan

Any clue on when I-69 will be extended up to Smith Valley? I know when they opened the interchange on Nov 17th, 2023 they said it'd be early 2024, so I imagine it cannot be far off, if not by the end of this month.

When that ends up happening, 7 miles to go, and I expect up to Co Line will not be far off either, given it's practically done in the vicinity of the Co Line interchange.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 08, 2024, 12:32:12 AM
Any clue on when I-69 will be extended up to Smith Valley? I know when they opened the interchange on Nov 17th, 2023 they said it'd be early 2024, so I imagine it cannot be far off, if not by the end of this month.

When that ends up happening, 7 miles to go, and I expect up to Co Line will not be far off either, given it's practically done in the vicinity of the Co Line interchange.

I don't see why it can't start at southport road at this point.

abqtraveler

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 08, 2024, 08:12:38 AM

It's a matter of getting the FHWA and AASHTO to sign off on the paperwork to extend the I-69 designation.  FHWA can do that at any time, but AASHTO only meets twice a year, so any chance of AASHTO approving the extension will be at their Spring Meeting in May, at the earliest.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

vdeane

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 09, 2024, 09:33:11 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on February 08, 2024, 08:12:38 AM

It's a matter of getting the FHWA and AASHTO to sign off on the paperwork to extend the I-69 designation.  FHWA can do that at any time, but AASHTO only meets twice a year, so any chance of AASHTO approving the extension will be at their Spring Meeting in May, at the earliest.
At this point, may as well wait until the project is completed and do it all at once.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ITB

Sunday's warm, sunny weather motivated me to make another trip to the construction zone in Indianapolis. With the above average temperatures of late, it appears good construction progress has been made the past couple of weeks. Still a bit too early to say bye-bye to winter. However, the ground won't be freezing up again, a big plus for the contractors. Seasonal to above average temperatures are also projected through the end of the month. The average high temperature in Indy is now 40°.

To the pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, February 11, 2024.

On the southwest side of Indianapolis, looking east toward I-465 from the Mann Road overpass. As can be seen, the eastbound roadway is not yet complete. Two additional lanes, plus a left shoulder, are still to be constructed. In the upcoming months, future westbound lanes also will be carved from and built in the median. When all of this completes, westbound traffic will then be temporarily shifted to the new pavement to facilitate the reconstruction of the current westbound roadway.

Zoomed in view. Last week, another set of precast beams were placed for the bridge over Harmon Ditch (center). Working double shifts, crews have now put in the deck rebar. For bridge construction, this is moving at lightning speed.

Wham! Near the Mann Road eastbound entrance ramp to I-465; looking north. It did it's job, crumpling, as designed. There doesn't appear to be any rush to fix it, as it's been there for more than a month.

The view looking west from the Mann Road overpass.

Another view looking east toward I-465, this time from Thompson Road, with the partially constructed I-69N to I-465W flyover in the background.

Long range view looking east from the Mann Road overpass.

Signage near the Mann Road eastbound entrance ramp to I-465; looking northeast.

Another view from Thompson Road near the Mann Road overpass and partial interchange; looking east.

More photos to come.

ITB

Another set. Again, photos were taken Sunday, February 11, 2024.

On the south side of Indianapolis, the future flyover that will carry I-69N traffic to I-465W; looking northwest. The recent warm weather has allowed crews to begin construction of the flyover's second hammerhead pier. Pictured is the pier's base, wrapped in orange protective sheeting. Next step, constructing the hammerhead cap, which should begin either this week or next.

The north abutment of the I-69N to I-465W flyover; looking northwest. It looks to be about ready for girder placement, but before that can happen, the second pier must complete.

The view looking northwest toward I-465 from near the south abutment of the flyover. Visible in the deep background is the Mann Road overpass (better seen when the photo is expanded).

Turning around, the flyover that will carry traffic from westbound I-465 to I-69S; looking northeast. As seen, construction of the north abutment is now well underway. On the right is the exit ramp from eastbound I-465 to Harding Street.

Closer look. Note the falsework frames attached to the precast beams.

The girders of the I-69N to I-465W flyover; looking northeast. The photo doesn't do justice to how big they truly are. Big, baby, big!

The flyover from another vantage point; looking northwest.

And the view turning around south toward the Epler Avenue overpass. On the right is the future ramp from I-465E to I-69S.

Another view of the girders; looking north.

Closer look.

Different view of the ramp from I-465E to I-69S; looking southeast. The Epler Avenue overpass is in the background.

Another view looking northeast toward the I-465W to I-69S flyover. Despite the sun's intense reflection on the orange barrels, I snapped it anyway.

Close up of girder atop its bearing.

Another shot of the flyover as the sun dips behind an embankment of clouds; looking northwest.

Side view depicting how far the girders must stretch to reach, first, the second hammerhead pier, and, second, the north abutment; looking north.

And, finally, with the sun behind the clouds and evening soon-to-be, another look northwest.

One more.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.