News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

And get this...there's more road work on US 20 in the Burns Harbor area, and it starts this Monday.

Resurfacing will take place from just west of Indiana 149 to just east of I-94 (the Burns Harbor-Porter interchange) and is scheduled to last through June. One lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction. While it is a short stretch, delays will likely take place during peak traffic hours, mainly at the truck stops on both sides of I-94; both are busy havens for travelers and are set with traffic lights.

What may complicate things...upthread, I mentioned resurfacing work being planned on US 12 from Ogden Dunes to east of Indiana 149. Well, that project is also scheduled to start Monday and last through June. This will likely be problematic come Memorial Day Weekend, since one of the major beach entrances (Portage Lakefront Park) is facilitated via US 12 (you can also enter this park from the south via I-94 or US 20, which would be a better alternative).
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

nwi_navigator_1181

Crews will be revisiting the I-65 area between US 30 and US 231, this time for more invasive concrete restoration that is expected to last through the summer.

Next week, one lane will be closed in each direction as crews install a temporary barrier wall. when that is completed, all traffic will have two lanes in each direction on the southbound side. When patching is completed on the northbound side, all traffic will share those lanes while southbound lanes get the same treatment. This project is to last through mid-September.

Keep in mind that traffic may be down to one lane during nighttime hours at the 101st Avenue overpass, since bridge replacement is currently in progress.

Further south, be aware of lane closures due to guardrail repair between Indiana 2 and US 231.

Crews will resurface US 6 in the Hobart and Portage areas, from just east of Indiana 51 to just west of Airport Road. Lane closures will take place soon after crews finish curb repairs along the plazas. Expect this to last throughout the summer.

silverback1065

The likely final design of the north split is up.

https://northsplit.com/project-overview/preliminary-preferred-alternative/

It's a lot smaller now!

jhuntin1

Some interesting ideas in that plan. Some seem obvious, like switching the ramps on northbound to avoid the weave. I'm surprised that the Delaware ramp will only be able to access I-70 and not I-65. I use that ramp periodically to go south, but would never use it to get on to I-70 because the weave is horrible in a short amount of time. Are there that many people getting on there to use I-70, or are they mostly simplifying the design?

silverback1065

Quote from: jhuntin1 on May 07, 2019, 06:54:01 PM
Some interesting ideas in that plan. Some seem obvious, like switching the ramps on northbound to avoid the weave. I'm surprised that the Delaware ramp will only be able to access I-70 and not I-65. I use that ramp periodically to go south, but would never use it to get on to I-70 because the weave is horrible in a short amount of time. Are there that many people getting on there to use I-70, or are they mostly simplifying the design?

More people use the 70 movement that's why they kept that movement. Most of the movements are preserved.  I think the Pennsylania from 70 west movement being lost is unfortunate.

silverback1065

nwi_navigator_1181

As mentioned upthread, concrete restoration is in progress on I-65 between US 30 and US 231, but starting soon, ramp closures will accompany this project.

If not already underway, crews will close the northbound entrance and exit ramps at 109th Avenue so those ramps can be repaired. Once mainline traffic shifts to the northbound lanes, the southbound entry and exit ramps will close. The best detours for these closures will be the routes that proceed them (if heading northbound, US 231 to Broadway. When southbound ramps close, it'll be US 30 to Broadway, though it's likely better to use US 231 and double back to Broadway because of slightly lighter traffic).

Along that same section, the 101st Avenue overpass is scheduled to finish later than expected, around mid-September.

Intersection improvements are set to start next week at US 30 and Randolph Street in Merrillville (for reference, that's 4 miles east of I-65 and just west of the Deep River Waterpark. US 30 will be largely unaffected (save for unrelated pipe work nearby on the outer shoulders, which has a "45 when workers present"  rule in place). Currently having only one lane in each direction when crossing US 30 (creating massive backups during the weekend), Randolph Street will have a left turn, through, and right turn lane at each approach. While not mentioned, this project will hopefully address the timing of that traffic light (left turn traffic from US 30 barely has any time to make turns because of the short intervals) and fix the cycles (protected left + through, one direction at a time for Randolph traffic). This project is expected to last through summer.

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 07, 2019, 10:05:31 PM
More people use the 70 movement that's why they kept that movement. Most of the movements are preserved.  I think the Pennsylania [sic] from 70 west movement being lost is unfortunate.
I'd say it's much more than unfortunate, it's RIDICULOUS! But then INDOT is quite often penny-wise, pound-foolish IMHO.

nwi_navigator_1181

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I thought it would be best to bring it to attention...

The Indiana Toll Road has started their "Push 2.0"  project. The website mentions work going from Cline Avenue (exit 10) to the Illinois state line. What isn't mentioned is that the work also extends from Cline Avenue east to the Lake Station interchange, a section that has been a major point of contention. That section is undergoing a full-blown resurface, and because of that, only one lane gets by.

I'm glad that they're addressing the ratted pavement, because that area looks bad for it only being finished 6-7 years ago. This project will last through the summer and into the early portion of fall. Delays are to be expected.

silverback1065

Down here in Potholeville all the asphalt sections of interstate will be resurfaced, as are the concrete portions of 70 between 465 and the south split.  Very much needed project.  65 is closed northbound between 465 and 865.

tdindy88

Read this article last night, INDOT plans on widening I-465 on the southwest side from I-65 to I-70 (miles 0 to 8) starting in 2021. The interstate will be widened one lane in each direction with several bridges rebuilt. Part of the project is part of the construction for the I-69 interchange where Section 6 meets I-465.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/big-changes-planned-for-i-465-on-indys-south-side

Life in Paradise

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 21, 2019, 08:26:24 PM
Read this article last night, INDOT plans on widening I-465 on the southwest side from I-65 to I-70 (miles 0 to 8) starting in 2021. The interstate will be widened one lane in each direction with several bridges rebuilt. Part of the project is part of the construction for the I-69 interchange where Section 6 meets I-465.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/big-changes-planned-for-i-465-on-indys-south-side

This would be getting ahead of the curve.  Once I-69 opens in a few years, there will be substantial traffic that will be traveling the completion portion of the road along with the adjacent I-465 connection (this area).

nwi_navigator_1181

Updates along I-65 in Lake County:

The Central Avenue bridge project (north of I-80/94) continues to progress. One portion of the deck has been poured while another section of the bridge is waiting for the gap in the middle to be filled. The road is expected to be fully open by mid- to late fall, along with the ramps affected by this project.

The action is mainly between US 30 and US 231. Beams have been put into place for the 101st Avenue overpass. While crews work on the bridge, concrete restoration is also in progress in the area. Traffic in both directions currently shares the southbound side of the road, as crews patch the center lane (former right line before widening) on the northbound side. By mid-August, traffic will be moved to the northbound lanes while the same work is performed on the southbound side. Northbound access to and from 109th Avenue is closed off; the detour requires traffic to use Indiana 53 (Broadway) to US 30 east to access I-65 north.

All above work is set for fall completion.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 21, 2019, 08:26:24 PM

I can understand widening the east side of I-465 (since that will handle 90% of the traffic), but people going west on I-465 from I-69 will be minimal. People going west will use IN-67 from Martinsville to either Ameriplex Parkway or I-465.

tdindy88

Not if the 37 corridor becomes a full freeway as is planned. Coming from Bloomington anyway the new I-69 should still be quicker all the way up to I-465 since 67 will still have a lower speed limit and there are stoplights around Moorseville and up along Kentucky Avenue. And in any case, the stretch of I-465 from 37 west to I-70 should be eight lanes anyway based the traffic using that highway as it is, regardless of I-69. Nearly all of I-465 should be at least eight lanes wide now based on the day-to-day traffic before the I-69 extension is completed. The northern half of the beltway by that measure should be nearly ten lanes in width.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 04, 2019, 07:07:42 PM
Not if the 37 corridor becomes a full freeway as is planned. Coming from Bloomington anyway the new I-69 should still be quicker all the way up to I-465 since 67 will still have a lower speed limit and there are stoplights around Moorseville and up along Kentucky Avenue. And in any case, the stretch of I-465 from 37 west to I-70 should be eight lanes anyway based the traffic using that highway as it is, regardless of I-69. Nearly all of I-465 should be at least eight lanes wide now based on the day-to-day traffic before the I-69 extension is completed. The northern half of the beltway by that measure should be nearly ten lanes in width.

Thanks.

silverback1065

INDOT is looking into ramp meters and shoulder lanes (shoulders are an extra lane only during rush hour) for the borman.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 09, 2019, 12:00:57 PM
INDOT is looking into ramp meters and shoulder lanes (shoulders are an extra lane only during rush hour) for the borman.

An RFI (Request for Information) is due Friday for this endeavor. They're going to mine information from other states currently employing this practice. Given how accident-prone this stretch is during peak times (again, devolving driver culture, not necessarily the layout of the road itself), I feel it opens up the door for more problems. With new management in Illinois, it's almost time to revisit the Illiana concept.

Another potentially major project (this one actually on the schedule for next year) will be discussed by INDOT with Gary residents this week. As part of a long term plan to double-track the South Shore Line, including beautification of the Miller area, Dunes Highway (US 12/20) is set to undergo a major realignment.

As part of the realignment, a section of US 12 from the current east split with US 20 (about 2 miles east of I-65, for reference) to a tenth of a mile east of Lake Street (near the Miller South Shore station) will be removed, with all existing intersections removed as well. That means US 12 and 20 will share pavement to just east of Lake Street, where a lighted intersection will take a newly southward-angled US 12 to the current CSX and Old Hobart Road bridges and its present course.

The realigned stretch will be reconstructed, with sidewalks on each side of the highway, decorative lighting, landscaping, new signage, and enhanced pedestrian crossings. Lake Street will also see improvements, including new median islands, bike paths, and parallel parking spaces.

The hearing for this project is this Thursday (July 11).

silverback1065

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 09, 2019, 06:54:17 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 09, 2019, 12:00:57 PM

An RFI (Request for Information) is due Friday for this endeavor. They're going to mine information from other states currently employing this practice. Given how accident-prone this stretch is during peak times (again, devolving driver culture, not necessarily the layout of the road itself), I feel it opens up the door for more problems. With new management in Illinois, it's almost time to revisit the Illiana concept.

Another potentially major project (this one actually on the schedule for next year) will be discussed by INDOT with Gary residents this week. As part of a long term plan to double-track the South Shore Line, including beautification of the Miller area, Dunes Highway (US 12/20) is set to undergo a major realignment.

As part of the realignment, a section of US 12 from the current east split with US 20 (about 2 miles east of I-65, for reference) to a tenth of a mile east of Lake Street (near the Miller South Shore station) will be removed, with all existing intersections removed as well. That means US 12 and 20 will share pavement to just east of Lake Street, where a lighted intersection will take a newly southward-angled US 12 to the current CSX and Old Hobart Road bridges and its present course.

The realigned stretch will be reconstructed, with sidewalks on each side of the highway, decorative lighting, landscaping, new signage, and enhanced pedestrian crossings. Lake Street will also see improvements, including new median islands, bike paths, and parallel parking spaces.

The hearing for this project is this Thursday (July 11).

So if I understand you correctly, US 12 from the split to Lake street will be removed, 12/20 will be cosigned to lake street where 12/20 will split again?  Any links or renderings available from INDOT? US 12 is a fun drive from the split to Michigan.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 10, 2019, 07:41:30 PMSo if I understand you correctly, US 12 from the split to Lake street will be removed, 12/20 will be cosigned to lake street where 12/20 will split again?  Any links or renderings available from INDOT? US 12 is a fun drive from the split to Michigan.

Almost. You are correct that US 12 and 20 will have nearly an additional mile and a half of concurrency when this project is concluded. However, US 12 will have a new stretch of pavement just east of Lake Street to connect US 20 to the rest of its current course by the two bridges. US 12 will not share pavement with Lake Street; that particular intersection will be completely removed.

INDOT doesn't have any renderings yet, but I'm certain they'll be available after tomorrow night's hearing. I'll keep an eye out. Also, this project is located literally within my neck of the woods (my parents' house, where I lived for 15 years, will be partially affected), so I would likely provide photos when it begins in 2021 (not next year as originally posted).

nwi_navigator_1181

As promised, here is the document (including maps) regarding the realignment.

silverback1065

An interchange at 276th and US 31 will be built in the coming years. There will be one at 236th soon.

Pixel 2 XL

bmeiser

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 17, 2019, 02:51:40 PM
An interchange at 276th and US 31 will be built in the coming years. There will be one at 236th soon.

Pixel 2 XL

Nice!  Do you have a link to more info?

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on July 17, 2019, 02:52:53 PM

Pixel 2 XL

Nice!  Do you have a link to more info?

unfortunately no, but here is a link to the 465 widening on the south side https://www.in.gov/indot/3961.htm

NWI_Irish96

Pixel 2 XL

236th makes sense, but why 276th?  266th goes to Arcadia so I'd think that road gets more traffic.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.