News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Daylight Savings Time (2019)

Started by webny99, March 08, 2019, 12:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

For those of us in the US, we have less than 48 hours left of standard time!

I'll kick it off and suggest that DST should start on the spring equinox (March 20th) and end on the fall equinox (September 23rd).
This would be very easy to remember, and it would also eliminate the latest sunrise of the year being in October.

hotdogPi

A previous DST thread a few days ago got locked immediately after being created, even though I suggested "lock on March 24th".

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24586
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Oops. Needless to say, I did not know that, since I've been Away since January.

My intentions are not trollish. I enjoyed this discussion last year, at least at the beginning, before it started to get old. We shall see what happens.  :paranoid:

1995hoo

Daylight Saving Time. Not "savings."

I think the equinox is a bad idea because changing the clocks on a weekday is a recipe for chaos.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

How about this...unless your feelings/opinions have changed over the past year, we all know how you feel about the time change, the sun's position in the sky at whatever-o'clock, and any and all opinions regarding anything related to anything dealing with everything related to such. 

Newbies - get your feelings known quickly so we can move on until around November 3, 2019!

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 08, 2019, 01:01:48 PM
How about this...unless your feelings/opinions have changed over the past year, we all know how you feel about the time change, the sun's position in the sky at whatever-o'clock, and any and all opinions regarding anything related to anything dealing with everything related to such. 

Newbies - get your feelings known quickly so we can move on until around November 10, 2019!

DST in the US ends on November 3 this year, FWIW. Under current law it can never end on November 10.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2019, 12:42:35 PM
Oops. Needless to say, I did not know that, since I've been Away since January.

My intentions are not trollish. I enjoyed this discussion last year, at least at the beginning, before it started to get old. We shall see what happens.  :paranoid:
I enjoyed it too, though I admit it did tend to go around and around a few times.  Since then, a few more states have joined the permanent DST bandwagon.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2019, 01:05:29 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 08, 2019, 01:01:48 PM

Newbies - get your feelings known quickly so we can move on until around November 10, 2019!

DST in the US ends on November 3 this year, FWIW. Under current law it can never end on November 10.

Every online source says I looked at the date of when it begins, not ends.   :awesomeface:

I'll edit my original comment!

1995hoo

Begins: Second Sunday in March. (Earliest: March 8. Latest: March 14.)

Ends: First Sunday in November. (Earliest: Nov. 1. Latest: Nov. 7.)

abefroman329

My opinion may have changed now that we have a baby in the house, I'll let you know on Monday.

We had a baby in the house when DST ended in November, but it was really more of a minor speed bump; he woke up early for a few days, but got back to normal after that.

kphoger

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Been there, posted in the thread, didn't even get a lousy tee shirt.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2019, 12:51:24 PM
I think the equinox is a bad idea because changing the clocks on a weekday is a recipe for chaos.

It wouldn't have to be. I often have scheduled/planned events on both the Saturday and Sunday of DST weekend, as I do this weekend, and I get along just fine.

I do agree that weekends are more convenient; third weekend in March / first weekend in October could work. The above would only shift the spring change by one week while moving the fall change forward an entire month. I think this is roughly in line, as the fall change is definitely too late in the season.

MNHighwayMan

You know what's even easier? Not changing the clocks at all!

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2019, 09:51:52 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2019, 12:51:24 PM

It wouldn't have to be. I often have scheduled/planned events on both the Saturday and Sunday of DST weekend, as I do this weekend, and I get along just fine.

I do agree that weekends are more convenient; third weekend in March / first weekend in October could work. The above would only shift the spring change by one week while moving the fall change forward an entire month. I think this is roughly in line, as the fall change is definitely too late in the season.

I took you literally when you said the equinox and I assumed you meant regardless of which day of the week, rather than the weekend closest to the equinox.

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 08, 2019, 10:09:19 PM
You know what's even easier? Not changing the clocks at all!

Arkansas is talking about that
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Everything that needed to be said about DST got said last year. Let's take a break from the DST discussion for a while, shall we?

(This position was endorsed by several other moderators.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.