News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Here's a site where you can report, and keep track of, the "highest" or "newest" plate seen on the road, for states that issue in sequential order: https://www.licenseplates.cc/highs.php?where=CA
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

andrepoiy

I agree, Ohio had some nice plates and now wtf are those. Smh

SkyPesos

Interesting that Florida still uses 6 digit license plates as the 3rd most populous state, when most of the other states with above a population of 7 or 8 million moved onto 7 digits. The next populous state to use 6 digits only have like 2/5 of the population of Florida, and the rest even less.

CA - 7
TX - 7
FL - 6
NY - 7
PA - 7
IL - 7
OH - 7
GA - 7
NC - 7
MI - 7
NJ - 6
VA - 7
WA - 7

Below Washington, it's mostly 6 digits.

SkyPesos

Also, NCDOT made fun of Ohio's new plates on Twitter earlier today:
https://twitter.com/NCDOT/status/1451281408375222284?s=20

formulanone

License plate designs are getting so busy now that they're unreadable...but what's important now is that toll camera or red light camera can read it.  :rolleyes:

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 22, 2021, 01:18:17 AM
Also, NCDOT made fun of Ohio's new plates on Twitter earlier today:

In other news, Ohio issues a new postage stamp:

SP Cook

Also, NCDOT made fun of Ohio's new plates on Twitter earlier today

What is it with these two?

They have been in this giant p***ing contest about invention of the airplane for 30 years.  NC has stuck with a fine, but tired plate for decades (is it the longest serving standard plate?) and OH has trolled with this "Birthplace of Aviation"  theme for at least 20. 

Memo:  you are both giant mega states with 1000s and 1000s of huge events happening there, 1000s of natural features, and 1000s of other things to put on a plate, including some great slogans between you like "First in Freedom"  "Beautiful Ohio"  "The Heart Of It All"  "Tar Heal State"  and my favorite "The First Frontier" . 

You have both done and have a LOT more than either have some windy beach where two guys made an airplane, or be where they were born.  I will pick on my own state.  If WV were in the running for this, yes, it is worth fighting about, because nothing the heck else ever happens here.  You are not like that.  Grow up.

GCrites

Y'all got Chuck Yeager though.

Road Hog

Quote from: SP Cook on October 22, 2021, 10:29:29 AM
Also, NCDOT made fun of Ohio's new plates on Twitter earlier today

What is it with these two?

They have been in this giant p***ing contest about invention of the airplane for 30 years.  NC has stuck with a fine, but tired plate for decades (is it the longest serving standard plate?) and OH has trolled with this "Birthplace of Aviation"  theme for at least 20. 

Memo:  you are both giant mega states with 1000s and 1000s of huge events happening there, 1000s of natural features, and 1000s of other things to put on a plate, including some great slogans between you like "First in Freedom"  "Beautiful Ohio"  "The Heart Of It All"  "Tar Heal State"  and my favorite "The First Frontier" . 

You have both done and have a LOT more than either have some windy beach where two guys made an airplane, or be where they were born.  I will pick on my own state.  If WV were in the running for this, yes, it is worth fighting about, because nothing the heck else ever happens here.  You are not like that.  Grow up.
Arkansas has had the basic same plate design since 1978 with few tweaks. I liked the version in the early 1990s that had the state name in a red background at top. Then they switched back to the old design when they started the 000AAA series in 1996.

CtrlAltDel

I don't like much about how Texas does things, but I have to admit I like the standard license plate design. Clear, simple, bold, and yet unobtrusive.

If I had the change anything, it would be to get rid of the state outline and move the star to where it is.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 23, 2021, 02:07:46 PM
I don't like much about how Texas does things, but I have to admit I like the standard license plate design. Clear, simple, bold, and yet unobtrusive.

If I had the change anything, it would be to get rid of the state outline and move the star to where it is.

and easily printed on a laser printer. i've heard (but not confirmed) that kids around here are using fake texas plates when they street race.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 24, 2021, 10:56:31 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 23, 2021, 02:07:46 PM

and easily printed on a laser printer. i've heard (but not confirmed) that kids around here are using fake texas plates when they street race.

I haven't heard that. To be fair, though, any license plate can be printed with an ink jet.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

andrepoiy

Yeah I like standard plates that don't really have anything weird on them, but are still unique enough (such as having a state symbol) that it can be distinguished. Examples include Ontario, Quebec, Texas, California.

frankenroad

Quote from: frankenroad on October 21, 2021, 02:59:38 PM

According to the articles I read, the new plates will begin being issued on December 29.  None of the articles mentioned whether any of the previous designs still legally on the road will be retired, but if not, that will mean there will be six different legal designs of "standard" plates, dating back to 1996.  (Gold Fade 1996-2001, Bicentennial 2001-2004, Sunburst 2004-2010, Beautiful Ohio 2009-2013, and Ohio Pride 2013-2021).  The oldest two (at least) should be retired, IMO.

It looks like the gold-fade plate will be retired.  Our company (which owns about 30 trucks) got an e-mail from the BMV a couple days ago saying that we have some gold-fade plates in our fleet, and that we will have to replace them next year when they renew.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

GCrites

There's two gold fades, "The Heart of it All" and "Birthplace of Aviation".

catch22

Michigan brings back retro "Water Winter Wonderland" yellow on blue license plate as an alternate plate choice:

Link:  https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MISOS/bulletins/2fed729

jakeroot

What a great plate design. I wish that were the standard design!

7/8

Quote from: catch22 on December 02, 2021, 02:27:10 PM
Michigan brings back retro "Water Winter Wonderland" yellow on blue license plate as an alternate plate choice:

Is it just me, or does it look black?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 7/8 on December 02, 2021, 03:17:12 PM

Just you. :sombrero:  Dark navy for sure, but still blue.

7/8

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 02, 2021, 03:49:03 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on December 02, 2021, 03:17:12 PM

Just you. :sombrero:  Dark navy for sure, but still blue.

Lol, I checked in MS Paint and you're right, but I still find it hard to see. But regardless, I agree with jakeroot that's it's a nice looking plate. It has distinctive colours, but also very legible (which seems to be an issue with a lot of modern plate designs). I'm glad Ontario is sticking with the blue-on-white plates for that reason (barring the Doug Ford plate fiasco :colorful:).

interstate73

A few weeks old but haven't seen it mentioned here, Newfoundland and Labrador is getting a new plate in January for the provincial Come Home Year celebration:

We'll see what the Omicron variant has to say about their plans going forward though
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

jdbx

Retro plates have become incredibly popular here in California.  You can barely drive anywhere without seeing a car with the yellow-on-black 60's style plates.  I have 'em on 2 of my cars because I think they look way better.  I really wish that they brought back yellow-on-blue 70's style or the mid-80's style sunset plates as options as well.

jakeroot

Can anyone explain this California license plate? I have never seen white-on-black:

Non-standard California Plate by Jacob Root, on Flickr

CardInLex

Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2021, 04:51:29 PM
Can anyone explain this California license plate? I have never seen white-on-black:

Non-standard California Plate by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Closest example I could find is their experimental digital plates. But, this one doesn't look like it's digital.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2018/05/29/california-digital-license-plate-pilot-program-orig.cnn

jakeroot

Quote from: CardInLex on December 04, 2021, 05:07:50 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2021, 04:51:29 PM

Closest example I could find is their experimental digital plates. But, this one doesn't look like it's digital.

Yeah, it was definitely an embossed non-digital plate. Given the number of modifications made to this Kia Stinger, I'm thinking he must have made the plate.

mgk920

I'm thinking that that is a special 'retro' themed design that (Caltrans?) is offering.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.