News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonh300

Quote from: bwana39 on November 17, 2023, 05:20:56 PM
Quote from: jasonh300 on November 17, 2023, 02:45:47 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on November 17, 2023, 02:17:52 PM
I had thought that was the plan. The tunnel has leaked pretty much since it was built.

Are you confusing the Harvey Tunnel with the Belle Chasse Tunnel (the Belle Chasse Car Wash)?  I've been driving the Harvey Tunnel since 1988 and don't ever recall it leaking.  The Belle Chasse Tunnel sometimes has water pouring out though the crack around the lowest point.

I suppose they didn't eliminate the tunnels since the Expressway is a commercial corridor.  The industrial areas on each side of the canal are much more easily reached from the tunnel, and in recent years, a diversion of Destrehan Avenue on the west side of the tunnel allows for traffic to come out of the tunnel and turn left directly onto an extension of Destrehan.

You are probably right. I didn't know there were two tunnels down there.

3 if you count the one in Houma, which is about an hour away.


bwana39

Quote from: jasonh300 on November 17, 2023, 05:28:28 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on November 17, 2023, 05:20:56 PM
Quote from: jasonh300 on November 17, 2023, 02:45:47 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on November 17, 2023, 02:17:52 PM
I had thought that was the plan. The tunnel has leaked pretty much since it was built.

Are you confusing the Harvey Tunnel with the Belle Chasse Tunnel (the Belle Chasse Car Wash)?  I've been driving the Harvey Tunnel since 1988 and don't ever recall it leaking.  The Belle Chasse Tunnel sometimes has water pouring out though the crack around the lowest point.

I suppose they didn't eliminate the tunnels since the Expressway is a commercial corridor.  The industrial areas on each side of the canal are much more easily reached from the tunnel, and in recent years, a diversion of Destrehan Avenue on the west side of the tunnel allows for traffic to come out of the tunnel and turn left directly onto an extension of Destrehan.

You are probably right. I didn't know there were two tunnels down there.

3 if you count the one in Houma, which is about an hour away.

I meant on the West bank. I was aware of the one in Houma.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Bobby5280

I remember the Belle Chasse tunnel well. Back in the early 1980's my dad scored us base housing on the Navy base on the South side of Belle Chasse. We drove through that tunnel often (usually when driving back home after a trip into the city).

It looks like they're building a new bridge over the canal that will carry both directions of traffic. That will solve the tunnel problem.

froggie

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 18, 2023, 06:55:42 PM
It looks like they're building a new bridge over the canal that will carry both directions of traffic. That will solve the tunnel problem.

It's also a higher-level bridge which will eliminate the need for a drawspan such as exists on the northbound side.  So it kinda kills two birds with one stone.

jasonh300

The new high-rise Belle Chasse bridge will replace both the Belle Chasse Tunnel and the Perez Bridge.  The tunnel will be permanently closed in the next 60 days, and they'll be routing southbound traffic onto the left-side of the new bridge, as the bridge approach is going to cut off access to the tunnel. They plan to have the entire thing complete sometime in 2024. Then they'll remove the tunnel and the old bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZ3n3zjI7k

roadman65

Quote from: jasonh300 on November 23, 2023, 12:22:04 PM
The new high-rise Belle Chasse bridge will replace both the Belle Chasse Tunnel and the Perez Bridge.  The tunnel will be permanently closed in the next 60 days, and they'll be routing southbound traffic onto the left-side of the new bridge, as the bridge approach is going to cut off access to the tunnel. They plan to have the entire thing complete sometime in 2024. Then they'll remove the tunnel and the old bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZ3n3zjI7k

I heard the tunnel closed yesterday. So that means the new bridge is opened as I write, or at least some of it then?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jasonh300

The tunnel is closed, and the new bridge is indeed partially open!

Belle Chasse Tunnel Permanent Closure - December 20, 2023
https://youtu.be/C1mAcYWMKa8

roadman65

I'm glad I captured this as any previous drive through this is now historic.
https://youtu.be/I9rUtELH2AU?si=ODuNY5ALPe9rq1cz
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jasonh300

Quote from: roadman65 on December 22, 2023, 05:31:22 PM
I'm glad I captured this as any previous drive through this is now historic.

What year was that?  That's before there was even any thought of replacing it!

roadman65

Quote from: jasonh300 on December 22, 2023, 08:29:22 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 22, 2023, 05:31:22 PM
I'm glad I captured this as any previous drive through this is now historic.

What year was that?  That's before there was even any thought of replacing it!
2010 I think.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadwaywiz95

This weekend will feature a special "Meet Preview" *live* webinar that will profile the New Orleans, LA metro area in preparation for the road meet that will be held there in February. This presentation will be hosted by yours truly and will feature contributions from folks across the AARoads Forum spectrum.

This presentation will be broadcast *live* on the 'roadwaywiz' YouTube channel on New Years Eve, Sunday, 12/31 at 3 PM ET. Whether you're on the fence about attending the meet, or are already looking forward to it, we hope that this will give you folks a good idea of what to expect and what to look for during your visit. We may also have some time for a *live* Q&A session regarding the meet itself if there is demand for it.

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ccurley100

I drove through the Harvey Tunnel eastbound a couple of weeks ago. It was closed heading west.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/k1MVhZuBdfLaad848
What happened to La 24 connecting to La 1?  I remember in 2011 driving the closed gate road to access La 1.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/77PZ3pR96uXfxTn59



 Now you have to use both La 3235 and La 657 to connect between both highways.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe



Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.