News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Texas

Started by roadman65, October 03, 2013, 08:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aboges26

Quote from: Grzrd on July 30, 2015, 07:46:29 PM
The Texas Transportation Commission has posted a July 29 TxDOT Interstate Corridor Planning - Prioritization of Corridor Studies presentation. Here is a snip from a slide comparing congestion in 2013 to estimated congestion in 2040 (p.5/13 of pdf):

The anticipated congestion, combined with possible rebuilding of much of the system that is reaching the end of its expected service life (p. 8/13 of pdf), suggests that Texas will have to spend a lot of money over the next 25 years.

I-69C justifies itself solely on the fact that I-69E from Corpus to the Valley would look like I-35 in 2040.  The proposed I-27 southern extension is justifying itself more and more every day, I imagine the southern leg in 2040 being a nice lime green, regular constrained flow, as it certainly is in many locations already along US 87 south of Lubbock (specifically in and around Lamesa, Big Spring, San Angelo).

txstateends

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/36437168/i-40-to-i-27-direct-connect-now-officially-open?utm_content=buffer4a6ff&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

For the first time since I-40 came through Amarillo in the late 1960s, the I-27/I-40 interchange ramps all directly connect.  Prior to now, the ramp movement between EB I-40 & SB I-27 was to the SB service road first, then passing the signal/intersection at SE 26th Avenue, then finally getting to the on-ramp to get on I-27 SB.  Now drivers can connect directly between I-40 and I-27 without having to tangle with those exiting I-27 SB getting to SE 26th Avenue.  So far, the local media, TxDOT, nor GSV have the 'after' photos to show off the results.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Bobby5280

I drove through Amarillo a couple times recently. It's along the path I take from Oklahoma up to Colorado to visit family. The new ramp from EB I-40 to SB I-27 is finally open. But there is a bunch of other construction work going on along I-40 from the I-27 interchange over to the US-287 split on the East side. I was kind of surprised to see that considering the push to upgrade Loop 335 into a freeway. It looks like a lot of construction work has been underway in the downtown area lately.

txstateends

Lots of locals there have taken to online comments, including the Amarillo paper's FB page, expressing how displeased they are that the city & TxDOT have seemingly decided to do all needed road work there all at once.  The project that seems to get whacked the most online is a bridge replacement at I-40/Bell.  They should be fortunate--at least they don't have to wait on projects like those in Dallas do.  The potholes there get little if any attention (hopefully an upcoming bond election will pass and things will start to get fixed better there).

txstateends

http://amarillo.com/local-news/news/2017-10-11/bushland-bridge-over-i-40-reopens

A damaged bridge on I-40 in Bushland, west of Amarillo, has been replaced and reopened this week.  In late February, a truck driver traveling EB at the RM 2381 exit, ran off the road and down between the 2 I-40 bridge spans.  He ended up down at the RM 2381 undercrossing before crashing into the embankment on the far (east) side.  The resulting fire charred and damaged the WB I-40 bridge span to the point that it needed to be replaced.  I didn't hear definitively, but it was theorized by officials that the driver fell asleep prior to the crash.  The wreck was caught on security cam video at a nearby gas station: https://youtu.be/6FBciaAFsmc

txstateends

A local TV station in Amarillo is doing a different spotlighted construction project story each day this week.

This one is work to redo bridges at I-40/Ross and I-40/Arthur:
http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/13/txdot-construction-roundup-i-ross-arthur/
...and a closure for underneath the bridge
http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/13/txdot-closing-ross-under-i-until-thursday/

They've also looked at this one where the bridge at I-27/26th Ave. is being redone:
http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/11/txdot-project-roundup-i-bridge-th-avenue/

txstateends

Quote from: txstateends on February 13, 2019, 01:55:07 PM
A local TV station in Amarillo is doing a different spotlighted construction project story each day this week.

This one is work to redo bridges at I-40/Ross and I-40/Arthur:
http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/13/txdot-construction-roundup-i-ross-arthur/
...and a closure for underneath the bridge
http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/13/txdot-closing-ross-under-i-until-thursday/

They've also looked at this one where the bridge at I-27/26th Ave. is being redone:
http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/11/txdot-project-roundup-i-bridge-th-avenue/

The project chosen for this report is replacement of 3 bridges on I-40, all on the east side of Amarillo, at the Whitaker, Lakeside, and Pullman exits.  The Pullman Road bridge is being worked on now, while the Lakeside and Whitaker bridges will start being worked on later this year.  The report says it will be 2021 before work is complete.
http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/02/14/txdot-project-roundup-lakeside-whittaker-pullman-bridges/

AsphaltPlanet

I uploaded a night video of I-35E starting from I-30 in Dallas.  I tend not to link to all of my videos on here because I don't want to come across as a spammer, but I think this night footage turned out fairly well so I'm sharing it here:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

J N Winkler

AsphaltPlanet--thanks for sharing this video.  It brings out how awful I-35E is even after the interim widening, with inconsistent but usually inadequate shoulder width, roller-coaster alignment (not just on older late-1950's/early-1960's segments with round-top wood-post guardrail, but also on recently improved lengths with either center reversible lanes or express lanes on structure), and abrupt lateral shifts that make it hard to drive straight without fouling lane lines.  Rain adds to the difficulties since express lane connections at the I-635E/I-35E interchange have been retrofitted so badly there are locations where a vehicle on structure can cause accidents by splashing water onto a vehicle at ground level underneath.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

AsphaltPlanet

The alignment of the lanes I-35E, particularly through the I-635 interchange, wander far more than would be ideal in my mind.  It's funny, in some ways I-35E is so impressive, but in other ways, it's also so ghetto.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

rte66man

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 17, 2019, 12:46:19 PM
The alignment of the lanes I-35E, particularly through the I-635 interchange, wander far more than would be ideal in my mind.  It's funny, in some ways I-35E is so impressive, but in other ways, it's also so ghetto.

I keep reading that what currently exists is an interim step to the final product.  Assuming the remaining steps are completed, would those issues be addressed?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

AsphaltPlanet

I don't know the answer, but I don't think it could be easily.

The bridges at both the Sam Rayburn Tollway and George Bush Turnpike don't look wide enough to allow a much larger cross-section to be rammed through without replacing at least some of the overpasses.

The I-635 interchange would create its own problems as well.

Brian556

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 17, 2019, 12:09:13 PM
AsphaltPlanet--thanks for sharing this video.  It brings out how awful I-35E is even after the interim widening, with inconsistent but usually inadequate shoulder width, roller-coaster alignment (not just on older late-1950's/early-1960's segments with round-top wood-post guardrail, but also on recently improved lengths with either center reversible lanes or express lanes on structure), and abrupt lateral shifts that make it hard to drive straight without fouling lane lines.  Rain adds to the difficulties since express lane connections at the I-635E/I-35E interchange have been retrofitted so badly there are locations where a vehicle on structure can cause accidents by splashing water onto a vehicle at ground level underneath.

The abrupt shifts at express lane entrances/exits are too hard to follow. You are right. They suck

sprjus4

Dang, and that urban highway is 70 MPH? 75 MPH on the Express Lanes? You'd think with the substandard cross-sections, tight turns, etc. it would hold 60 MPH, but I guess it's Texas.

bassoon1986

I'm also shocked to see US 77 shields along with the I-35E shields! They have not existed between Denton and Waxahachie for some time

iPhone

txstateends

Quote from: bassoon1986 on February 18, 2019, 10:15:08 AM
I'm also shocked to see US 77 shields along with the I-35E shields! They have not existed between Denton and Waxahachie for some time

I'm pleasantly surprised at the US 77 shield return myself.  I haven't heard anything as to whether the placement is a one-off contract goof, or the beginning of a US 77 reawakening in the urban part of DFW.  So far, no such luck with any return of US 67 shields north of southern Dallas, or west of the Rockwall-Hunt county line.

Great Lakes Roads

http://ktemnews.com/new-bill-would-make-texas-toll-roads-free-once-theyre-paid-off/

What do you guys think about this proposed bill?? I do not like this as it will give TXDOT more mileage to maintain their infrastructure, and most people agree that roads should be free once they are paid off...

sprjus4

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 24, 2019, 11:18:11 PM
http://ktemnews.com/new-bill-would-make-texas-toll-roads-free-once-theyre-paid-off/

What do you guys think about this proposed bill?? I do not like this as it will give TXDOT more mileage to maintain their infrastructure, and most people agree that roads should be free once they are paid off...
I think it's a great idea. I wish this could be required here in Virginia.

VA-267 in the D.C. area was paid off years ago, but was extended to fund billions of dollars in metro extensions, meaning it will be tolled for a looong time.
Richmond's system of toll roads with the exception of VA-895 have mainly been paid off, but are staying to fund other improvements.
VA-168 in Hampton Roads has been paid off or is close to being paid off, and has been extended to at least 2051 to fund another roadway.

It's ridiculous how tolls don't specifically only pay off that road, but pay for other things as well.

wxfree

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 24, 2019, 11:18:11 PM

That bill is introduced in every session.  It never goes anywhere.  I like the idea of it, but I think it's a little too enthusiastic.  I think a more realistic alternative would be to limit the toll rates to what is needed cover the debt and upkeep costs.  Current law allows for excess revenues that can be spent on unrelated transportation projects.  I'd like to see that stop.  If you have to pay extra to drive on a certain road, you shouldn't have to pay even more extra to cover the cost of other roads.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Brian556

Quote from: txstateends on February 18, 2019, 04:15:15 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on February 18, 2019, 10:15:08 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised at the US 77 shield return myself.  I haven't heard anything as to whether the placement is a one-off contract goof, or the beginning of a US 77 reawakening in the urban part of DFW.  So far, no such luck with any return of US 67 shields north of southern Dallas, or west of the Rockwall-Hunt county line.

See topic: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17264.0

roadman65

Why is Business US 90 signed as Mainline US 90 from the I-610 Loop?  Rand McNally shows US 90 on the freeway that departs from the I-10 and I-610 exchange yet, signs on the 610 show US 90 East where RM shows it as Business US 90.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on June 06, 2019, 10:15:42 PM
Why is Business US 90 signed as Mainline US 90 from the I-610 Loop?  Rand McNally shows US 90 on the freeway that departs from the I-10 and I-610 exchange yet, signs on the 610 show US 90 East where RM shows it as Business US 90.

Signage error.  Post-mounted shields at the I-610/US-90(Bus) interchange even show mainline US-90 there, but shields elsewhere along the route (such as here) correctly show it as a business route.  Also, interchange signs at I-610/US-90(mainline) also correctly show US-90.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on June 12, 2019, 02:33:13 PMPost-mounted shields at the I-610/US-90(Bus) interchange even show mainline US-90 there, but shields elsewhere along the route (such as here) correctly show it as a business route.

(Cough, cough)  Some issues there (SH instead of US, not supposed to use "Business" inside the shields anymore, no "U").
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 12, 2019, 03:49:56 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 12, 2019, 02:33:13 PMPost-mounted shields at the I-610/US-90(Bus) interchange even show mainline US-90 there, but shields elsewhere along the route (such as here) correctly show it as a business route.

(Cough, cough)  Some issues there (SH instead of US, not supposed to use "Business" inside the shields anymore, no "U").

Yeah, I wasn't sure what Texas' official stance on that was, having seen Spur US Routes signed similarly.

Here's a better one.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.