Fatal Beltway crashes more likely in Prince George's County

Started by cpzilliacus, June 25, 2014, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Fatal Beltway crashes more likely in Prince George's County

QuoteThe Capital Beltway has a reputation as a roadway where drivers are participating in an aggressive, competitive sport. The road itself is nicknamed the "Capital Speedway," and some refer to its windiest pass through Rock Creek Park as the "Capital Roller Coaster."

QuoteThe 64-mile loop around D.C. remains one of the more likely places for a D.C.-area driver to encounter, or be involved in, an accident.

QuoteNewly released numbers from the Virginia Department of Transportation and the Maryland State Highway Administration show that over the last few years, the greatest number of crashes and fatal crashes on the Capital Beltway happened in Prince George's County. The counts in Virginia and Montgomery County were significantly lower.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Not much of a surprise to anyone who's driven in PG County!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Not much of a surprise, period.  Such a news story pops up on a semi-annual basis in the DC media.  A few years ago, I recall the Post went so far as to analyze that the "straightaways" in PGC (the one near Richie-Marlboro Rd specifically comes to mind) were more dangerous than the curvy stretch through Rock Creek Park.

Henry

Quote from: froggie on June 25, 2014, 11:00:13 PM
Not much of a surprise, period.  Such a news story pops up on a semi-annual basis in the DC media.  A few years ago, I recall the Post went so far as to analyze that the "straightaways" in PGC (the one near Richie-Marlboro Rd specifically comes to mind) were more dangerous than the curvy stretch through Rock Creek Park.

Well, I'm not surprised at all! I'd rather take the more congested roads in the District anyway, like I-295 and I-395 (and I-695 as well).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

yankee.peddler

The infographic released by WTOP shows only the segment of the Beltway between US 50 and I-95 as having the highest fatality rate, while at least half of the Beltway's length through Prince George's County has a lower rate than either Montgomery County or Virginia.

With that said, I am not surprised by the fact that the stretch between US 50 and I-95 has the highest fatality rate.  It's riddled with obsolete interchanges that cause unsafe speed variations between through and exiting traffic, as well as lane weaving.
"I'll just stay on 6 all the way to Ely..." J. Kerouac

froggie

What I find curious about that is, from the 3-year-ago report I recall, the worst section was actually the straightaway just north of Richie-Marlboro Rd that I mentioned earlier.

yankee.peddler

Quote from: froggie on July 05, 2014, 08:58:35 AM
What I find curious about that is, from the 3-year-ago report I recall, the worst section was actually the straightaway just north of Richie-Marlboro Rd that I mentioned earlier.

Perhaps the Post used a different data set from the Maryland SHA or another source...
"I'll just stay on 6 all the way to Ely..." J. Kerouac

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: yankee.peddler on July 05, 2014, 06:06:18 AM
The infographic released by WTOP shows only the segment of the Beltway between US 50 and I-95 as having the highest fatality rate, while at least half of the Beltway's length through Prince George's County has a lower rate than either Montgomery County or Virginia.

With that said, I am not surprised by the fact that the stretch between US 50 and I-95 has the highest fatality rate.  It's riddled with obsolete interchanges that cause unsafe speed variations between through and exiting traffic, as well as lane weaving.
Of course. Can they please start a megaproject (like WWB and 495XL)? Or we can discuss ideas somewhere in this forum...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.