News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Your Favorite US Route

Started by SkyPesos, September 22, 2021, 10:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Mine is US 40, in its "peak" form west to San Francisco of course. So much history as a auto trail before the US Routes were established, notably the National Road, Victory Highway and part of the National Old Trails Road. I don't really care that it's replaced by I-70 for the majority of its route, as after all, those US routes that got replaced or are parallel to interstates were deemed important and significant enough to be chosen for an interstate highway corridor, so that should actually be a compliment. Also totally no bias here that I used to live in 2 cities that are on US 40  :bigass:

Max Rockatansky

US 191 given the scenery and awesome driving segments like the Coronado Trail. 

jlam

Mine is close to where I live, along US 34 (Trail Ridge Road) through Rocky Mountain national park. This route offers stunning views of the mountains and forests, but it is a pain to drive. That is a minor setback, though.

NWI_Irish96

Biased because I've lived on or very near it for most of my life, but US 6. Two of the more scenic parts are Cape Cod and Independence Pass, but it also connects many major metro areas if that's what you're looking for.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

I was just thinking about this today.  For today, I'm going with US 22.  Just something nostalgic about the route, especially through PA and its many children.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

I've always liked US 23. Part of the attraction of the route is that my cousin who played baseball for the Reds and Mets wore that number long before the world heard of Michael Jordan, but part of it is because of the scenery. I think it's an overall great road from Columbus, Ohio, to the point northeast of Atlanta where it leaves I-985 prior to the freeway's end at I-85.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Rothman on September 22, 2021, 10:55:21 PM
I was just thinking about this today.  For today, I'm going with US 22.  Just something nostalgic about the route, especially through PA and its many children.
US 22 is most likely the US route I've been on the most, so naturally, I give a bit of thought about it too. Used to use it at least every weekday during the school year, as it's the main route between my house and high school.

kurumi

US 395 comes close, for the eastern Sierra scenery, but I'll instead nominate US 89.

It serves 7 national parks. It has reached both national borders. It was featured in National Geographic (entire issue IIRC), which called it the Number 1 Driver's Drive in the world. There's even a sign outside Panguitch, Utah, that warns that the road you're on (UT 143) is Not US 89, and you've made a horrible mistake.

(I've only been on portions of it: Flagstaff to Page, southern Utah, Jackson to YNP)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 22, 2021, 10:58:52 PM
I've always liked US 23. Part of the attraction of the route is that my cousin who played baseball for the Reds and Mets wore that number long before the world heard of Michael Jordan, but part of it is because of the scenery. I think it's an overall great road from Columbus, Ohio, to the point northeast of Atlanta where it leaves I-985 prior to the freeway's end at I-85.
US 23's a good one, too.  It's an interesting drive through Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US20IL64

Pure sentimental, 20, aka Lake St.

And if still commissioned, 66  :wave:

kenarmy

- US 49. I like how it is short, but it still has an important purpose for long distance travelling without the need of a paralleling interstate. And it's really nice and out of the way. I think 49 is the first US highway I've been on.
- US 98. Although I'm not fond of the steep decline in quality at the MS-AL line, I love driving this route. Very interesting. And idk it's just something about the number 98.
- US 6. Um how do you not like US 6? The cape cod curve, the lengthy concurrency with US 50, it's convoluted route in Colorado, the former dip down to Long Beach etc is special.
- US 50. This is literally the perfect US highway. It's my dream to clench most of this route.
Honorable mention to US 51/80. I've used those highways a lot through the years.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

TheHighwayMan3561

US 61 - the history, the scenes, the food.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US 89

Quote from: kurumi on September 22, 2021, 11:08:40 PM
US 395 comes close, for the eastern Sierra scenery, but I'll instead nominate US 89.

It serves 7 national parks. It has reached both national borders. It was featured in National Geographic (entire issue IIRC), which called it the Number 1 Driver's Drive in the world. There's even a sign outside Panguitch, Utah, that warns that the road you're on (UT 143) is Not US 89, and you've made a horrible mistake.

(I've only been on portions of it: Flagstaff to Page, southern Utah, Jackson to YNP)

I agree. See my profile name on here for further evidence. And I've clinched it from Flagstaff through Yellowstone.

If I had to pick two N/S and two E/W routes I'm most partial towards, they would be US 89, US 19, US 64, and US 40. Two of those go or went through SLC, one goes through Atlanta, and the other I keep getting new mileage on through completely unrelated trips in very different parts of the country.

DandyDan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 23, 2021, 12:27:21 AM
It's my favorite, but only because it was the highway through my first hometown.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

SkyPesos

Quote from: DandyDan on September 23, 2021, 05:41:19 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 23, 2021, 12:27:21 AM
It's my favorite, but only because it was the highway through my first hometown.
And one of my hometowns too, even though a majority of it is multiplexed (with 40 and 67) there!

Also, I'll drop in my favorite N-S: US 23.

GaryV

US-2 holds fond memories for me.  Even though I've never been west of Duluth, and have only traveled a very short section of the eastern segment.

Jim

US 20.  Closest to where I live.  Longest if you count the implied routing through Yellowstone.  It at least goes to Yellowstone, so big win anyway.  Always enjoy picking up a segment of it, especially when far from home.  Planning to return to Yellowstone next summer and might pick up a big chunk of US 20 across Nebraska since we would likely stop in the Omaha area too visit friends on the way our or back.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

webny99

Tough one for me given the lack of US routes in my part of NY.

After US 20, US 15 in PA is probably the one I've used the most. Parts of it are great, and it certainly has a little bit of everything, but I hesitate to choose it because not all of it is positive and parts of it are a downright slog.

In terms of an individual segment, it might be US 22/322 north of Harrisburg. I can't even really explain why, I just really like everything about it. Between the character, the traffic, and the scenery, it's one of my favorite road segments.

thspfc

US-6 is my favorite. There's something great about a highly unique single-digit number for a highway that traverses the middle third of the country. US-6 is America's road, but in a different way than US-66 is.

I have driven more miles on US-51 than any other numbered route, but 99% of those miles have been in Wisconsin. US-51 in WI is no Million Dollar Highway, but it's a lot more interesting than US-51 in the rest of the states it passes through. So it's not a route that I'm interested in driving the entirety of.

Flint1979

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on September 22, 2021, 10:58:52 PM

Doug Flynn?

AcE_Wolf_287

My Favorite US Routes are the ones i've always Lived on and very close to, Which is US 21 in South Carolina & US 9 in New York and i can also say the same about their Highways that Parallel them  :D

allniter89

US 1 & DE 1. Why? Cuz their #1. :bigass:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

SEWIGuy

US-12.  Ran through my hometown.  Drove on it pretty much every day for 20+ years.  Also spent a lot of time on the road out west between Missoula, MT and Aberdeen, WA where it is gorgeous.

epzik8

U.S. Route 1, the East Coast's Main Street, which passes through my area. However I currently live down the street from US 40.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.