News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Severing Roads Increases Accidents.

Started by bicyclehazard, March 04, 2024, 07:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bicyclehazard

A new study shows limited access roads increases accidents on the side roads. Never mind interstates and toll roads I'm seeing an increasing number or roads are blocked after highway departments "improve" a highway. Typically people who lived across the street from a school now face a detour of 4 miles each way. It is rare for a highway department to install a pedestrian bridge in these cases in fact I have encountered many of these that have been fenced off and locked. I have been at the forefront of removing blockages. For example I have an email from INDOT where they admit they violated title 23 section 109m when interstate 69 construction cut highway 57 in half. I also think they are being sued by the Amish over this. Their justification of building these blockages are no longer valid. When they come to your neighborhood don't put up with it. https://phys.org/news/2024-03-communities-severed-roads-traffic-larger.html

Max Rockatansky

Amazing the timing here.  P13 gets the boot recently and this nut job suddenly reemerges from his troll cave.

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2024, 07:50:16 PM
Amazing the timing here.  P13 gets the boot recently and this nut job suddenly reemerges from his troll cave.
There was another "bicycle.....   " Username a few years back, looks more like that guy.
As for the main topic, I totally believe that any larger road is a disconnect for surrounding community. Question is if that price is worth paying and re-adapting to new configuration is more painful than enduring the old one

SectorZ

It's weird, around me when highway projects are done they open up access to bicycles and pedestrians, not remove it.

I never thought I'd be riding along I-95 over the Merrimack River, and with access literally a thousand feet east I would have never even asked for it, yet I can now do so on a new bridge. Same goes for US 1 Bypass between Portsmouth NH and Kittery ME.

I was looking at that situation where 57 got cutoff due to the size of the I-64/I-69 interchange, and it looks like the detour to the east is a few miles. Now maybe they could have just built a bridge for 57 shifted a bit eastward or westward (I feel like in New England they would have), but the detour to the east is not incredibly onerous for cycling (3.4 miles vs 0.3 on what was 57). Walking yeah maybe it's an hour but cycling that's 20 minutes for even a slow rider. Also comparing this to New York City is a tad apples to oranges since that is what your link focuses on.

Maybe this is just more ideological based on where in the country it is.

kalvado

Ok, so here is the principal figure from the paper:

Best case is to have no roads at all
PS what do you mean by saying "commute to job"?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.