News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hampton Roads Article Corrections

Started by deathtopumpkins, January 18, 2009, 12:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

I was reading through the Hampton Roads article (linkie), and noticed a few things that were outdated and/or incorrect. I am currently a resident of Hampton, and soon to be Virginia Beach, and so I drive on these highways almost every day.

Including:
QuoteWidening expands the Hampton segment west of Interstate 664 to eight lanes by 2001.
I think it's high time to change this, as that project was completed a while back now, albeit over schedule. It's been widened to eight lanes from Mercury Blvd. (US-258) to Jefferson Ave. (VA-143) with the inner lane in each direction being HOV during rush hour.

QuoteSouth of Interstate 264, the highway carries six plus two HOV-2 lanes through to the Battlefield Boulevard (Virginia 168) interchange.
This is not necessarily true anymore, as I drove down I-64 to VS-168 (which is the Chesapeake Expressway--Battlefied Blvd. is VA-168 Bus.) about two weeks ago or so, and the stretch of freeway from south of I-264 to the VA-168 & I-464 interchange was a huge construction site, with a local/express setup partially open and a massive new interchange for Battlefield Blvd. Even with some lane closures it was considerably wider than that, though I cannot remember the exact number it was.

I think it might be a good idea to modify the Midtown Tunnel's section too... I don't know the specifics of when it was built or anything, but it carries VA-337 and US-58 under the Elizabeth River from Norfolk to Portsmouth north of the Downtown Tunnel, and then turns into the Martin Luther King Freeway, which ends at London Blvd. right after a T-Interchange with the Western Freeway (VA-164)'s recently built Sewells Point Connector. Most of this information appears to be lacking in the article...

The last thing I noted is, I assume, a typo:
QuoteStudies are currently underway involving a fourth bridge-tunnel crossing in the Hampton Roads area that would extend Interstate 564 westward to Hampton and Newport News.
It's actually the "Third Crossing Project" according to VDOT, though you might have been including the CBBT as one... and the proposal does not actually call for extending it to Hampton and Newport News, but rather having it meet 664 off the coast of Newport News and then widen it up into the actual city of Newport News.

Other than the above things, the article is very informative and seems to get everything right.

PS: Interchange/voyager told me to post this here, hope it works.  ;)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

That page is way out of date. Last time I drove through there was 2001! I'll add the changes to my queue, thanks!  :)

deathtopumpkins

Sure thing, glad to help keep it updated. Though I just re-read the bottom of the page, and apparently the info about the Midtown Tunnel is there, though there is one thing about it that I've never heard living here:
QuoteAn expressway portion stems from each portal of the tunnel (Martin Luther King Freeway in Portsmouth and Midtown Tunnel Expressway in Norfolk).
The east (Norfolk) side does not have an expressway on it, but rather immediately goes through a partial cloverleaf as it merges with Hampton Blvd.

So disregard what I said about the midtown tunnel in the OP. You're good on that.  :P
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Alex

Ok, I corrected and updated the portions of the article as you suggested, thanks! You may also be interested in checking out this recent article on Toll Road News too http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/3910  :)

deathtopumpkins

Ahh thanks for the link about that. Glad to finally see that they're doing something with the Jordan Bridge. I was getting sick of looking at VMS signs displaying the Bridge Closed message!  :D

And the corrections are great! Thanks.

74/171FAN

QuoteThe federal highway travels under the Elizabeth River with Virginia 337 via the Midtown Tunnel between the two municipalities.
Actually I just looked over the article again and VA 337 actually does not follow US 58 through the Midtown Tunnel as it actually uses the closed Jordan Bridge, I-464, and I-264 into Downtown Norfolk before following Brambleton Ave, which multiplexes with US 58 west of Duke St, and US 58 splits with VA 337 just on the Norfolk side of the Midtown Tunnel. 
QuoteInterstate 64 crosse a the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel.
just a typo but I-64 can't "crosse a" a bridge-tunnel :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mightyace

Two ALT VA 337s?

What is VDOT thinking? :wow:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mightyace

Is there any confusion over these two ALT routes?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

74/171FAN

QuoteIs there any confusion over these two ALT routes?
Mightyace:Probably not since the Downtown Norfolk one isn't even posted and the other one is posted at US 17 but I'm not sure about anywhere else
QuoteOne of the two ALT VA 337's uses the Midtown Tunnel...that might've been what Alex and DTP were thinking...
Froggie:  I believe that you already explained this to DTP in another thread already and that no one thought until I checked the article from looking at this topic earlier that the article says that VA 337 traverses the Midtown Tunnel 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

I updated the page to reflect the Virginia 337 correction. That page was created so long ago, that I pretty much forgot a lot about how things are orientated there state highwaywise. So I added the Alternate reference and also added the line about where VA-337 travels as a sidebar to that U.S. 58 section.

As for the typo, it was supposed to read "crosses the", so thats also fixed.

Thanks fellas!  :D

74/171FAN

Your Welcome  :D :D  However,  I've noticed one other mistake as the US 17 relocation was completed back in November 2005.  http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/hamptonroads/route_17_widening.asp

Alex

You can email me a bunch of changes/corrections/updates as you find them. I'll get them posted.

Also let me know what photos you may want to see added from your collection.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.