News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Anything of of the Facebook grid?

The Ghostbuster

When US 17 meets US 70 at the western junction, there is an interchange that indicates that US 17 was planned to continue north of US 70, and not head eastward with 70, and then by itself to Bridgeton. Does anyone know if US 17 will eventually be extended north of US 70, as the stubs indicate, or has that proposal been canceled? I suspect it is a dead project.

slorydn1

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 24, 2016, 04:39:04 PM
When US 17 meets US 70 at the western junction, there is an interchange that indicates that US 17 was planned to continue north of US 70, and not head eastward with 70, and then by itself to Bridgeton. Does anyone know if US 17 will eventually be extended north of US 70, as the stubs indicate, or has that proposal been canceled? I suspect it is a dead project.

Nope, its not a dead project.

It's a future unfunded project to complete the bypass of New Bern on US-17. Its supposed to come out onto existing US-17 in the vicinity of the US-17 and Weyerhaeuser Rd intersection. If you click on that link that bob7374 provided in post #963 above and zoom the map into the area you can see the general alignment of what I'm talking about.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

http://www.wral.com/committee-passes-freeze-on-new-highway-construction/15813953/

QuoteRALEIGH, N.C. – The House Transportation Committee approved a bill Tuesday that would keep the Department of Transportation from creating new corridor maps and eliminating the current maps — essentially ending any new major highway construction plans on the books, if the land has not been purchased yet, and stalling the process for future plans for at least a year.

The bill comes after the North Carolina Supreme Court said the state owes money to property owners whose land and property rights were affected by current Map Act restrictions.

At this point, the status of the controversial extension of Wake County's N.C. Highway 540 loop is unknown. The DOT has purchased some of the land necessary to build the toll highway but not all of it — making it difficult to know what the next steps would be.

Legislators are making four major changes with House Bill 959 in an attempt to begin the mitigation process. The first keeps the DOT from creating any new maps for future highway plans until July 2017 and eliminates all current maps.

In this one-year period, the bill requires the DOT to study the Map Act process and come up with proposals to fix the issues the Supreme Court found.

"This is only the first step. We have a lot of landowners out there who potentially could pursue claims against the state for what was the law until it was recently declared unconstitutional," Rep. Chuck McGrady, R-Henderson, said.

The Map Act allows for the DOT and local governing bodies to create corridor maps, and after the map has been filed, no new building permits or subdivisions would be approved for land in the corridor. This keeps those property owners from building or adding on to their properties and often takes away their ability to sell their properties because it can not be developed.

The Map Act does allow for property owners in the map area to request an exception, and compensation is, in theory, also required.

The state Supreme Court's decision and House Bill 959 attempt to clarify what that compensation looks like and where the compensation comes from.

The new bill puts those costs on the state's Strategic Transportation Investments program, under the particular tier — statewide, regional or divisional — that created the corridor map and planned to fund the highway or transportation project.

House Bill 959 passed the House Transportation Committee and will go back to the Senate for further approval.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on June 28, 2016, 07:59:19 PM
http://www.wral.com/committee-passes-freeze-on-new-highway-construction/15813953/

QuoteRALEIGH, N.C. – The House Transportation Committee approved a bill Tuesday that would keep the Department of Transportation from creating new corridor maps and eliminating the current maps — essentially ending any new major highway construction plans on the books, if the land has not been purchased yet, and stalling the process for future plans for at least a year.

The bill comes after the North Carolina Supreme Court said the state owes money to property owners whose land and property rights were affected by current Map Act restrictions.

At this point, the status of the controversial extension of Wake County's N.C. Highway 540 loop is unknown. The DOT has purchased some of the land necessary to build the toll highway but not all of it — making it difficult to know what the next steps would be.

Legislators are making four major changes with House Bill 959 in an attempt to begin the mitigation process. The first keeps the DOT from creating any new maps for future highway plans until July 2017 and eliminates all current maps.

In this one-year period, the bill requires the DOT to study the Map Act process and come up with proposals to fix the issues the Supreme Court found.

"This is only the first step. We have a lot of landowners out there who potentially could pursue claims against the state for what was the law until it was recently declared unconstitutional," Rep. Chuck McGrady, R-Henderson, said.

The Map Act allows for the DOT and local governing bodies to create corridor maps, and after the map has been filed, no new building permits or subdivisions would be approved for land in the corridor. This keeps those property owners from building or adding on to their properties and often takes away their ability to sell their properties because it can not be developed.

The Map Act does allow for property owners in the map area to request an exception, and compensation is, in theory, also required.

The state Supreme Court's decision and House Bill 959 attempt to clarify what that compensation looks like and where the compensation comes from.

The new bill puts those costs on the state's Strategic Transportation Investments program, under the particular tier — statewide, regional or divisional — that created the corridor map and planned to fund the highway or transportation project.

House Bill 959 passed the House Transportation Committee and will go back to the Senate for further approval.

we will see if that does happen. It probably won't go past the Senate though.

ARMOURERERIC

I took a different approach to work today wherein I exited from 40 EB at Long View and went north to 70 East.  I noted that in the last 3 weeks that major surveying work has been done on the road between the Long View exit on 40 and the 70 ramps.  Looks like enough for the road to go 4 lanes along with major improvements to the ramps to 70.

LM117

Construction of the US-64 Asheboro Bypass is now officially underway.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=12695

QuoteASHEBORO — Governor Pat McCrory and N.C. Department of Transportation Secretary Nick Tennyson joined state and local representatives Thursday afternoon to celebrate the groundbreaking of the U.S. 64 Asheboro Bypass. The bypass will relieve heavy traffic congestion, improve local access and increase safety along the corridor.

The project also includes the 1.8-mile Zoo Connector, which will improve access to the North Carolina Zoological Park and alleviate current congestion issues on N.C. 159 (Zoo Parkway).

"This project will help provide a freeway connection to the North Carolina Zoo and alleviate current issues with traffic congestion for both visitors and people who live here,"  said Governor McCrory. "This is one of many projects under construction across the state that will help improve regional and cross-state connectivity that are central to enhancing economic development and quality of life."

The new bypass is a major part of Governor McCrory's 25-Year Transportation Vision to enhance travel safety and to better connect North Carolinians to jobs, education, healthcare and recreation opportunities.

New transportation projects in the state's current 10-year plan are funded through the Strategic Mobility Formula, a new way of more efficiently investing transportation dollars by using a data-driven scoring process along with local input to fund more projects and create more jobs. Governor McCrory championed the new mobility formula and signed it into law in June 2013.

"The U.S. 64 Bypass is a significant project for this region because it will improve travel time for locals and visitors and provide an easy access point to the Zoo, one of our state's great tourist destinations,"  Transportation Secretary Nick Tennyson said. "This project was made possible thanks to the new transportation formula championed by Governor McCrory that prioritizes projects based on need, not politics."

The U.S. 64 Asheboro Bypass is a 16.1-mile four-lane highway that will improve traffic flow, reduce congestion, improve safety and enhance high-speed regional travel on the U.S. 64 corridor. The bypass is a controlled-access (no driveways) highway separated by a grassy/landscaped median. Interchanges are included at:

U.S. 64 on both ends of the project
N.C. 49
I-73/74 (U.S. 220 Bypass)
The Zoo Connector
N.C. 42
The Zoo Connector is a full-access two-lane roadway that runs directly to the entrance of the North Carolina Zoo and can only be accessed at two break points.

A short connector road will provide access from Zoo Parkway to the Zoo Connector and the Bypass. The N.C. 159 grade-separation is being eliminated and a roundabout is proposed at the zoo entrance. The N.C. 159 interchange with U.S. 64 was also eliminated.

The U.S. 64 Asheboro Bypass is an integral part of NCDOT's plan to upgrade the U.S. 64 and N.C. 49 corridors from Statesville to Raleigh (U.S. 64) and Charlotte to Raleigh (N.C. 49 and U.S. 64). This project has also been a good example of collaboration as NCDOT worked with the Zoo and local officials to revise the design of the Zoo Connector to move traffic away from local homeowners.

The $244 million design-build contract for the project was awarded in June 2015 to Asheboro Bypass Constructors, a joint venture between Thompson-Arthur Paving and Construction (APAC) and Wright Brothers. RK&K are the lead designers for the joint venture. Construction is scheduled to begin in July 2016 with completion scheduled for late 2019.

The project includes 6 interchanges, 24 bridges and box culverts, and 8 million cubic yards of earth and rock excavation (enough to fill over 5 Panthers stadiums from bottom to top). It will also include enhanced bridge aesthetics around the zoo, including a Drystack stone pattern stained with three different colors and elephant logos.

For more information on the U.S. 64 Asheboro Bypass project, visit the project's website.

Project website:

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/asheboro/

wdcrft63

The NC legislature has adjourned for the year without acting on the bill that would have stopped the I-77 toll lanes project. So that project is still on.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 02, 2016, 02:16:12 PM
The NC legislature has adjourned for the year without acting on the bill that would have stopped the I-77 toll lanes project. So that project is still on.

The State Senate choose not to vote on it.

CanesFan27

Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2016, 07:49:05 AM
Upgrading 1 to a freeway is a moot point.  Because of the lack of access control and the need to either replace or buy-out all of that private access (nevermind the hordes of smaller intersections), such a project would easily run over half-a-billion, and nobody has the political clout to get that level of funding.

and to further complicate things - a project is finishing up on 1 in Wake Forest.  It adds a needed third lane in each direction between S. Main and NC 98.  However, it adds two lights as a result of a partial super street set up. 

1 is in good shape north of Youngsville.  If they can make 1 a full freeway (or at a minimum replace a few lights with interchanges) from 540 to 98 that would be great - but from Youngsville on north it's not really necessary.

bob7374

NCDOT has released plans for constructing the next segment of the I-840 Greensboro Loop from US 220/Battleground Ave to Lawndale Drive. The Lawndale Drive exit will be 8, while the one beyond, at North Elm St will be Exit 10. The sign plans can be found here:
https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/dsplan/2016%20Highway%20Letting/09-20-16/Plans%20and%20Proposals/Guilford%20U2524D%20C203792/Standard%20PDF%20Plans/250%20Signing%20Plans.pdf

LM117

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Highway-11-intersection-known-for-bad-wrecks-getting-safety-upgrade-387808001.html

QuoteLENOIR COUNTY, NC (WITN) - A troublesome intersection in Lenoir County is getting an upgrade.

Work began this week on improving Highway 11 and the Ferrell Road intersection, north of Kinston, the site of numerous bad accidents.

The North Carolina Department of Transportation says the intersection has a high crash incident rate, with Grainger Station Road and Ferrell Road coming into Highway 11 near each other.

Railroad tracks crossing both Ferrell Road and Highway 11 also complicate traffic in the area, as well as school traffic headed to the nearby Contentnea-Savannah School.

The DOT says the intersection will be reconfigured to eliminate some of the more dangerous crossovers on Highway 11.

Traffic on Ferrell Road will no longer to able to cross over Highway 11. Instead, drivers will have to make a right turn, with a U-turn lane installed south of the intersection.

The Grainger Station Road intersection will also be modified, according to the DOT.

Construction is scheduled to be completed by the start of school next month and cost about $375,000.

wdcrft63

On August 11 NCDOT will open the section of NC 295 (Future I-295) between US 401 (Ramsey Street) and NC 210 (Murchison Road) in Fayetteville. This will complete a freeway connection between I-95 and Fort Bragg.
http://www.fayobserver.com/opinion/editorials/weekly-wrap-outer-loop-barrels-ahead-come-on-drivers-sober/article_6db77e73-0835-5ed9-aa3a-39bab13e1231.html

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 28, 2016, 01:11:21 PM
On August 11 NCDOT will open the section of NC 295 (Future I-295) between US 401 (Ramsey Street) and NC 210 (Murchison Road) in Fayetteville. This will complete a freeway connection between I-95 and Fort Bragg.
http://www.fayobserver.com/opinion/editorials/weekly-wrap-outer-loop-barrels-ahead-come-on-drivers-sober/article_6db77e73-0835-5ed9-aa3a-39bab13e1231.html

There shouldn't be much more left to build if I'm not mistaken. I still can't believe that they built those two substandard bridges over the Cape Fear River and Carvers Creek knowing that it's supposed to become I-295 eventually. I can understand waiting to upgrade the I-95/US-13 interchange, but the substandard bridges doesn't make sense. Slim chance, but I can't help but wonder if it was an error on the contractor's part.

Henry

Quote from: LM117 on July 28, 2016, 06:56:17 PM

There shouldn't be much more left to build if I'm not mistaken. I still can't believe that they built those two substandard bridges over the Cape Fear River and Carvers Creek knowing that it's supposed to become I-295 eventually. I can understand waiting to upgrade the I-95/US-13 interchange, but the substandard bridges doesn't make sense. Slim chance, but I can't help but wonder if it was an error on the contractor's part.
It might have been an error. In any case, it's great that the freeway is getting closer to being completed with that new section to Fort Bragg.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WashuOtaku

LM117

Quote from: Henry on July 28, 2016, 07:23:52 PM

It might have been an error. In any case, it's great that the freeway is getting closer to being completed with that new section to Fort Bragg.

Agreed.

froggie

QuoteIn less exciting news, NC 37 was recently extended to US 64.  http://outerbanksvoice.com/2016/07/25/direct-route-between-u-s-17-64-opens-in-washington-co/

I recall seeing some of the early construction for this just before I departed Norfolk.  Better late than never, but IMO should have built when they relocated 64.

CanesFan27

Or oversight as in forgotten to update - remember this was built and designed before any real plans or consideration to be an interstate was made.

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 29, 2016, 10:58:26 AM

Or oversight as in forgotten to update - remember this was built and designed before any real plans or consideration to be an interstate was made.

I didn't know that it was built before it was planned to become an interstate. I guess that could also explain why the I-95/US-13 interchange has remained the way it is when the road was built. The most I remember is NCDOT applying for it to become I-195, but it got rejected years ago, so I assumed it was planned to become an interstate from the get-go.

CanesFan27

Goldsboro downtown street scape plan receives second TIGER grant since 2013.  This time it's a $5 million grant for the final phase of the project.

http://goldsborodailynews.com/blog/2016/07/27/fed-awards-goldsboro-second-multi-million-dollar-tiger-grant/

Communities throughout the state have to 1) be glad that they won't have to compete with this project anymore and 2) maybe hire away the grant application writers or shadow them for future TIGER campaigns

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 29, 2016, 01:39:35 PM
Goldsboro downtown street scape plan receives second TIGER grant since 2013.  This time it's a $5 million grant for the final phase of the project.

http://goldsborodailynews.com/blog/2016/07/27/fed-awards-goldsboro-second-multi-million-dollar-tiger-grant/

Communities throughout the state have to 1) be glad that they won't have to compete with this project anymore and 2) maybe hire away the grant application writers or shadow them for future TIGER campaigns

No doubt. Talk about Goldsboro getting lucky. Having lived in Wayne County and commuting there countless times, Center Street used to look like crap. Google StreetView recently updated to show the renovated parts of Center Street and I was actually impressed. More businesses have also opened up there because of the project from what I've been told. Goldsboro has certainly changed since I last lived in the area in 2009, my most recent visit being in 2013. The Berkeley Boulevard/US-13 widening between Royall Avenue and South Drive should be finished next month also.

noelbotevera

Quote from: LM117 on July 29, 2016, 04:01:06 PM

No doubt. Talk about Goldsboro getting lucky. Having lived in Wayne County and commuting there countless times, Center Street used to look like crap. Google StreetView recently updated to show the renovated parts of Center Street and I was actually impressed. More businesses have also opened up there because of the project from what I've been told. Goldsboro has certainly changed since I last lived in the area in 2009, my most recent visit being in 2013. The Berkeley Boulevard/US-13 widening between Royall Avenue and South Drive should be finished next month also.
I haven't been to Goldsboro since 2005. Wonder what's happened in eleven years?

LM117

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 30, 2016, 02:55:11 AM

It didn't really start to change until about 4 years ago. Before then, probably the biggest change was the opening of I-795 between I-95 in Wilson and US-70 in Goldsboro, though at the time it was initially signed as US-117, which has since returned to it's old 2-lane alignment in 2009. Goldsboro didn't expect it to become an interstate, so it took a while before they figured out how to capitalize on it. I-795 really opened up Goldsboro. I-795 is planned to be extended from US-70 in Goldsboro to I-40 near Faison, mostly by upgrading US-117 to interstate standards, though a new terrain alignment will be need to be built between US-117 just south of US-13 and NC-581/Ash Street, where the current freeway ends at the traffic light. The NC-581/Ash Street intersection will eventually become a folded diamond interchange.

More information on I-795's extension can be found in this thread if you're interested:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18390.0

Recently, it's pretty much been growing outward, other than a few new businesses opening up on Center Street, mostly due to the Streetscape project, which is basically a rebuild of Center Street. A new 20-mile US-70 Bypass running around the north side of Goldsboro opened up 2 months ago, which will eventually become part of I-42, which will follow the US-70 corridor between I-40 near Garner and Morehead City. The city is already taking advantage of the new bypass. They recently held a groundbreaking for the new Maxwell Regional and Agricultural Convention Center, which will be located adjacent to Wayne Community College on Wayne Memorial Drive, just down the road from the US-70 Bypass interchange and the city is also looking for a large hotel to be built near the convention center. I would expect more businesses to open up near the US-70 Bypass interchanges eventually, now that it's planned to become I-42. Goldsboro will be at the crossroads of two interstates once it's all said and done.

Information on the Streetscape project on Center Street can be found here:
http://www.goldsboronc.gov/city-manager/public-affairs-department/streetscape-photos/

http://www.goldsboronc.gov/wp-content/uploads/streetscape2014_background.pdf

There's a thread on I-42 also:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18287.0

The only road project in the works in Goldsboro right now (other than Streetscape) is the current widening of US-13/Berkeley Boulevard between Royall Avenue and South Drive, which should be finished sometime in August.

noelbotevera

Quote from: LM117 on July 30, 2016, 06:22:46 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 30, 2016, 02:55:11 AM

It didn't really start to change until about 4 years ago. Before then, probably the biggest change was the opening of I-795 between I-95 in Wilson and US-70 in Goldsboro, though at the time it was initially signed as US-117, which has since returned to it's old 2-lane alignment in 2009. Goldsboro didn't expect it to become an interstate, so it took a while before they figured out how to capitalize on it. I-795 really opened up Goldsboro. I-795 is planned to be extended from US-70 in Goldsboro to I-40 near Faison, mostly by upgrading US-117 to interstate standards, though a new terrain alignment will be need to be built between US-117 just south of US-13 and NC-581/Ash Street, where the current freeway ends at the traffic light. The NC-581/Ash Street intersection will eventually become a folded diamond interchange.

More information on I-795's extension can be found in this thread if you're interested:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18390.0

Recently, it's pretty much been growing outward, other than a few new businesses opening up on Center Street, mostly due to the Streetscape project, which is basically a rebuild of Center Street. A new 20-mile US-70 Bypass running around the north side of Goldsboro opened up 2 months ago, which will eventually become part of I-42, which will follow the US-70 corridor between I-40 near Garner and Morehead City. The city is already taking advantage of the new bypass. They recently held a groundbreaking for the new Maxwell Regional and Agricultural Convention Center, which will be located adjacent to Wayne Community College on Wayne Memorial Drive, just down the road from the US-70 Bypass interchange and the city is also looking for a large hotel to be built near the convention center. I would expect more businesses to open up near the US-70 Bypass interchanges eventually, now that it's planned to become I-42. Goldsboro will be at the crossroads of two interstates once it's all said and done.

Information on the Streetscape project on Center Street can be found here:
http://www.goldsboronc.gov/city-manager/public-affairs-department/streetscape-photos/

http://www.goldsboronc.gov/wp-content/uploads/streetscape2014_background.pdf

There's a thread on I-42 also:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18287.0

The only road project in the works in Goldsboro right now (other than Streetscape) is the current widening of US-13/Berkeley Boulevard between Royall Avenue and South Drive, which should be finished sometime in August.
:wow: :wow:
Yeah, things have changed a lot ever since I was last there in 2005. Goldsboro looked like trash back then, such as Center Street looking like something out of a nuclear war.

I think the freeway was US 117 when I was there, or there was no freeway. I-42 is very new news to me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.