News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-73 & I-74 in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

And 2020? Dang that is long

SM-G360T1

If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

roadman65

Quote from: ReeseFerlautoI74/85 on February 27, 2016, 11:03:03 PM
And 2020? Dang that is long

SM-G360T1

I didn't say it would be quick.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wdcrft63

Quote from: NE2 on February 27, 2016, 10:51:11 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 27, 2016, 07:40:20 PM
NC would rather have SC extend I-20 east of Florence so that they could connect it to Wilmington, but SC will not budge on that one.
Really? That would be a lot of construction for minimal distance savings over 20-95-74.
I don't think the idea of extending I-20 is active in either NC or SC.

Henry

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 28, 2016, 06:46:15 PM
NC would rather have SC extend I-20 east of Florence so that they could connect it to Wilmington, but SC will not budge on that one.
Really? That would be a lot of construction for minimal distance savings over 20-95-74.
It's just an idea that is popular in the Fictional Highways realm, and will never happen here for the reason stated above.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CanesFan27

Quote from: Henry on March 04, 2016, 10:32:42 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 28, 2016, 06:46:15 PM
It's just an idea that is popular in the Fictional Highways realm, and will never happen here for the reason stated above.

Mike Easley posts in the Fictional Highways board? 

roadman65

Yes according to Wikipedia it was considered but never brought to AASHTO for consideration.  It was the idea to connect Atlanta to the Port of Wilmington and it was not to keen with SC and also dropped in 2005 after Easley left office.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WashuOtaku

So here is a rare update:  Study links SC 22, southern evacuation route, to build I-73.

Highlight from the article:

• Tolls would raise $2.3 billion over 40 years
  • 85 mph speed limit would be allowed
  • I-73 would connect with I-95 near Dillon
My opinion on it, I question the speed limit, which is 15mph higher than the top speed in the state.  A similar sales pitch was done in North Carolina raising speeds to only 75mph if I-95 becomes a toll road and that fell flat in the General Assembly.  I expect no different in South Carolina, especially since they have legislators kicking and screaming all they can to keep road funding grossly underfunded to maintain a low gasoline tax.

Revive 755

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 26, 2016, 06:08:29 PM
So here is a rare update:  Study links SC 22, southern evacuation route, to build I-73.

Maybe that bit at the end of the article about requiring opponents of the ACOE permit to post bond should be considered at the national level.

Henry

Yes, 85 is too much for a speed limit in SC. I could see it work in any of the Western states, but not in the East.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I doubt construction on any more of Interstate 73 & 74 in South Carolina will begin for at least 10 years if not longer.

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 28, 2016, 03:55:13 PM
I doubt construction on any more of Interstate 73 & 74 in South Carolina will begin for at least 10 years if not longer.
We'll see what will be done to I-74 in NC before we can speculate on construction in SC. IIRC, there are arguments that I-74 should go to Wilmington, while the original plans have it curving back to the SW, a la I-64, towards Myrtle Beach.

The Ghostbuster

I agree. Interstate 74 in North Carolina should be completed first.

slorydn1

Quote from: Henry on March 28, 2016, 10:44:26 AM
Yes, 85 is too much for a speed limit in SC. I could see it work in any of the Western states, but not in the East.

Why? There are areas in the Carolinas (coastal plain especially) that are as flat as a pancake with almost unlimited viability. Think west Texas with grass. 80+ would not be an issue on a properly designed road in those areas.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

WashuOtaku

Quote from: slorydn1 on April 06, 2016, 07:33:03 AM
Why? There are areas in the Carolinas (coastal plain especially) that are as flat as a pancake with almost unlimited viability. Think west Texas with grass. 80+ would not be an issue on a properly designed road in those areas.

The political will isn't there is all.  North Carolina recently struck down 75mph for tolls and Pennsylvania passed a law several years ago for 70mph and just now getting the Turnpike Authority to raise the limits.  Can the roads handle it, sure; but if the state cap is 70mph, then it goes no faster than that.

Mapmikey

Think west Texas with trees and with numerous shoulder-less bridges.  Also the only interstates in SC that are flat are 95 (fairly busy) and 26 is flat only east of Orangeburg.

slorydn1

Quote from: WashuOtaku on April 06, 2016, 12:20:59 PM

The political will isn't there is all.  North Carolina recently struck down 75mph for tolls and Pennsylvania passed a law several years ago for 70mph and just now getting the Turnpike Authority to raise the limits.  Can the roads handle it, sure; but if the state cap is 70mph, then it goes no faster than that.

Oh I agree. I was basically commenting on the blanket statement that it can work in western states but not in the east-I should have been more clear.

There are areas in the east-NC, SC, GA, FL especially, where 80+ would work on properly designed roads. I understand that the various state governments would have to pass laws to raise the maximum but I thought that was so self evident that I didn't need to comment on it. I understand that I-95 and I-26 wouldn't fit the standard of properly designed, at least not yet. There are other Interstates being built (and several non-Interstate freeways) that already do, or would in the future.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jwolfer

Quote from: slorydn1 on April 08, 2016, 10:36:43 AM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on April 06, 2016, 12:20:59 PM

Oh I agree. I was basically commenting on the blanket statement that it can work in western states but not in the east-I should have been more clear.

There are areas in the east-NC, SC, GA, FL especially, where 80+ would work on properly designed roads. I understand that the various state governments would have to pass laws to raise the maximum but I thought that was so self evident that I didn't need to comment on it. I understand that I-95 and I-26 wouldn't fit the standard of properly designed, at least not yet. There are other Interstates being built (and several non-Interstate freeways) that already do, or would in the future.
My mom said she remembers the speed limit being 80 on I-95 in Florida back in the 1960s I'm not sure I believe her

Strider

A progress is made on I-73 in SC. From the looks of it.. if the project is a go (pending review from environmentalists, the Corp of Engineers and public comments) it will more likely to be built as a toll road. There are a few links regarding the I-73 in SC:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article88592432.html

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article89074942.html

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article89157212.html

http://wbtw.com/2016/07/12/commission-board-says-i-73-will-be-built/

The Ghostbuster

I hope Interstate 73 is built in South Carolina, as well as Interstate 74. Otherwise, North Carolina will have a lot of explaining to do to future generations why they picked such hair-brained numbers.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 13, 2016, 04:51:31 PM
I hope Interstate 73 is built in South Carolina, as well as Interstate 74. Otherwise, North Carolina will have a lot of explaining to do to future generations why they picked such hair-brained numbers.

Blame Congress. They're the ones responsible for the numbers, not NC.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

I hope Interstate 73 is built too, but not so much about I-74 though, and again... Congress chose the numbers, not NC. NC had nothing to do with it in 1990's.

CanesFan27

My three year old son (future generation) loves I-73.  He thinks it's neat.

74/171FAN

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 13, 2016, 07:26:17 PM

I think I loved the I-73 and I-74 numbers until the adult world took a hold on my mind.   :-D   

Thinking about it though, the plans for I-73 in SC (combined with SELL (Southern Evacuation Lifeline)) will not truly fix US 501 from Conway to Myrtle Beach itself.   For the record, how used is SC 22 at this point?  (considering I have only traveled the eastern part from SC 31 to US 17)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Strider

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 13, 2016, 08:22:55 PM

I think I loved the I-73 and I-74 numbers until the adult world took a hold on my mind.   :-D   

Thinking about it though, the plans for I-73 in SC (combined with SELL (Southern Evacuation Lifeline)) will not truly fix US 501 from Conway to Myrtle Beach itself.   For the record, how used is SC 22 at this point?  (considering I have only traveled the eastern part from SC 31 to US 17)

I don't know because I have not traveled in SC 22 for like a decade. But, I don't understand where the SELL came in? The point of I-73 in SC is to connect Myrtle Beach to the interstate system. But, where does SELL come in?

TravelingBethelite

He loves it because he can't wait to show his great-grandchildren its construction.  :bigass:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.