News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Interstate 885 in Durham

Started by bob7374, August 19, 2014, 11:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Quote from: fillup420 on January 28, 2022, 09:48:02 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 23, 2022, 06:04:42 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 23, 2022, 10:42:11 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 21, 2022, 08:56:15 PM
About Damn time!!! I hope to never see a highway project like this again where they fuck with a railroad company to allocate the bridges/tracks when a widening or new highway project is done.

Did they even state that the temporary bridge has been demolished yet? Because I didn't hear anything in that video. But when looking at it, it does look like that it was resurfaced.
The article says the demolition will begin late this month or early February. Until that starts, I will remain skeptical as to any statement of when I-885 is opening.
I agree. One positive note is that the press is beginning (belatedly) to pick up on this situation.

As of yesterday, the bridge has still not been touched.....
There goes the late January start...

tjcreasy

Is it still the Railroad's fault?

tolbs17

I'm pretty sure CSX was not aware of this project when it happened.

wdcrft63

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 29, 2022, 03:00:09 PM
This project has been ongoing for seven years following fifty (50) years of planning. No one can claim they were not aware of this project.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: bob7374 on January 29, 2022, 11:39:01 AM
Quote from: fillup420 on January 28, 2022, 09:48:02 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 23, 2022, 06:04:42 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 23, 2022, 10:42:11 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 21, 2022, 08:56:15 PM
About Damn time!!! I hope to never see a highway project like this again where they fuck with a railroad company to allocate the bridges/tracks when a widening or new highway project is done.

Did they even state that the temporary bridge has been demolished yet? Because I didn't hear anything in that video. But when looking at it, it does look like that it was resurfaced.
The article says the demolition will begin late this month or early February. Until that starts, I will remain skeptical as to any statement of when I-885 is opening.
I agree. One positive note is that the press is beginning (belatedly) to pick up on this situation.

As of yesterday, the bridge has still not been touched.....
There goes the late January start...

They could start it on Monday, which would still technically be a 'late' January start. :sombrero:

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tjcreasy on January 29, 2022, 12:45:42 PM
Is it still the Railroad's fault?

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 29, 2022, 03:00:09 PM

Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 29, 2022, 06:24:54 PM
This project has been ongoing for seven years following fifty (50) years of planning. No one can claim they were not aware of this project.

Although this bridge is technically on the CSX Joyland Subdivision (former Durham & Northern), it is part of Norfolk Southern's D-Line from Durham to Oxford.

The Ghostbuster

If the "powers that be" can't be bothered to tear down a stupid railroad bridge, maybe we should take matters into our own hands, and tear it down ourselves. By any means necessary!

bob7374

The results from the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering were finally published this weekend (link to applications can be found in the North Carolina topic thread). Among the interstates approved (conditioned on FHWA concurrence) are two segments of I-42 in NC, the US 70 Clayton and Goldsboro bypasses, along with an 75+ mile expansion of I-240 in OK. What wasn't on their agenda? I-885, of course. Apparently NCDOT didn't believe the road would be open prior to at least the Spring 2022 AASHTO meeting. Guess they had nothing to worry about. If they believe it is simply a rubber stamp operation, why not send it in and get it over with?

The Ghostbuster

Approved or not, the Interstate 885 signs have already been erected (even if they are covered up). I wonder why AASHTO could approve those other routes, but couldn't be bothered to approve 885?

tolbs17

So if it's not approved then will I-885 need to be signed as a state route on the east end connector?

english si

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 14, 2022, 02:56:05 PMI wonder why AASHTO could approve those other routes, but couldn't be bothered to approve 885?
AASHTO can be bothered to approve 885, but have not because NCDOT can't be bothered to ask them to do so.

wdcrft63

Quote from: english si on February 14, 2022, 04:49:14 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 14, 2022, 02:56:05 PMI wonder why AASHTO could approve those other routes, but couldn't be bothered to approve 885?
AASHTO can be bothered to approve 885, but have not because NCDOT can't be bothered to ask them to do so.
Obviously NCDOt knows very well how to apply to AASHTO for approval of an interstate number. Therefore: the only reason we don't see them applying for I-885 approval is that they don't think they need to. I have no idea why that would be; does anyone have a suggestion?

bob7374

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 14, 2022, 06:25:56 PM
Obviously NCDOt knows very well how to apply to AASHTO for approval of an interstate number. Therefore: the only reason we don't see them applying for I-885 approval is that they don't think they need to. I have no idea why that would be; does anyone have a suggestion?
Apparently they are confident that it will be approved when they send in the application since the FHWA has signed off on it. That an AASHTO rubber stamp is the last of the punch list items to be completed. It also shows they don't believe the road will open before the next AASHTO meeting which is probably in May. I assume demolition work on the railroad bridge has still not begun.

US 89

I mean, they're confident enough that they just did a sign replacement and posted a whole bunch of new signs with mostly covered-up I-885 shields on them. I wish I'd taken pictures when I drove most of NC 147 back in October.

tolbs17

sturmde

Honestly, it's because lately NCDOT seems to only put forward *completed* segments for signage.  And I-885 isn't done because of that godforsaken bridge.  The 42 and 587 pieces they applied for are done.  They could though have put forward a FUTURE 885 request as they had done for FUTURES 42, 87, and 587 already.  But they seem to think they save effort to just wait until the road's actually available.  Hence things like NC 295, NC 74, etc.  (Well, guess they can't do NC 87 or NC 42 with I-87 or I-42 future segments, now can they!)

ahj2000

tolbs17

rickmastfan67

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 16, 2022, 06:34:56 PM
Quote from: ahj2000 on February 16, 2022, 06:11:01 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 16, 2022, 02:43:38 PM
Hell fucking yeah!!!

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-02-16-us-70-closure-railroad-bridge-demo.aspx
Great news! Maybe one day soon we can actually see 885 signs go up
See reply #4736 for those details. The 885 signs will NOT go up until this project is completed.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=100.4725

The press release says otherwise.......

QuoteSignage for the new Interstate 885 will also be installed along the route from I-85 to the north, concurrent with U.S. 70, then onto the new connector and south on existing N.C. 147 to I-40.

So, they'll be installing it at the same time as the do the final surface & lane markings.  But, odds are, it will just be covered till they have the official FHWA approval, or just until the connector is open.

cowboy_wilhelm

What are the repercussions of signing a highway as an interstate before it's officially approved as one? The FHWA cuts off federal funding until the state takes down or covers up the signs?

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 16, 2022, 08:39:22 PM
So, they'll be installing it at the same time as the do the final surface & lane markings.  But, odds are, it will just be covered till they have the official FHWA approval, or just until the connector is open.
Better to wait until it actually opens instead of wasting extra time putting the 147 signs up and the 885 decals on them. As of now, new 885 signs have not gone up yet. They will make an announcement of when they do. Especially with lots of lane/ramp closures.

tolbs17

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on February 16, 2022, 08:45:13 PM
What are the repercussions of signing a highway as an interstate before it's officially approved as one? The FHWA cuts off federal funding until the state takes down or covers up the signs?
I have a feeling it could consequently change to NC-885 if it did not receive AASHTO approval! Just like it did for I-540 being designated as NC-540 and I-295 designated as NC-295 for some time (it's back to I-295 now).

Rothman

Hehehehehe...that's so...cute.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CanesFan27

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 16, 2022, 09:44:09 PM
I have a feeling it could consequently change to NC-885 if it did not receive AASHTO approval! Just like it did for I-540 being designated as NC-540 and I-295 designated as NC-295 for some time (it's back to I-295 now).

That was not AASHTO in 540's case - it was a combination of the FHWA and it's position on toll funding for the highway and internal NC politics.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2007/07/i-540-getting-new-name.html

295 was more NCDOT confusion mixed in with the FHWA and if the highway met standards. AASHTO rejected 195 in 2003 but approved 295 the following year.  AASHTO had nothing to do with 295 temporarily being demoted to NC 295.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/09/north-carolina-to-petition-aashto-for.html

wdcrft63

NCDOT is behaving as if 885 is already approved. Maybe by FHWA if not by AASHTO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.