News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

200-mile loop highway proposed for Chattanooga

Started by afone, August 22, 2014, 08:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afone

If this does come to fruition, do you think it will carry an interstate designation? Perhaps Interstate 875. Also, would plans for a Chattanooga loop cause GDOT to look are reviving the Northern Arc or even the entire Outer Perimeter for Metro Atlanta.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jun/11/chattanooga-bypasshighway-encircling-metro-area/

froggie

I doubt it'll come to fruition for the simple fact that everybody (especially politicians) wants big fancy transportation projects but nobody wants to pay for them...

oscar

It's a "concept", penciled into a 40-year plan (i.e., not going to happen, if ever, in many of our lifetimes), and might not even be a freeway.  Waaaaay too early to even think about an Interstate number. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Probably a race between which one gets built first: this, the proposed I-475 west of Knoxville, or the northern loop of TN 840.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

It can be an extension of I-59.  Why not?

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Revive 755

Quote from: bugo on August 23, 2014, 10:10:02 AM
It can be an extension of I-59.  Why not?

Given the terrain and development in the area, I would not be surprised if the facility, if completely built, would end up being more of a disjointed loop than a continuous loop - similar to how the bypass/outer loop for Richmond, Virgina is composed of separate sections of I-295, VA 288, and VA 895, with a couple connections requiring use of I-95 and I-64, rather than a more continuous facility like I-495 around DC.

Going into fictional territory:  Assuming the whole facility is built in some fashion to interstate standards, I would number it the following way:

* The south half between I-24 and I-75 would be a reroute of I-24, with existing I-24 becoming an extension of I-59.  If the hidden I-124 becomes signed again, it would become I-159.

* The east half (the section east of current I-75) would become a reroute of I-75.  Existing I-75 south of I-24 would become I-875 (only even I-x75 left in Georgia), and existing I-75 from north of I-24 to the bypass would become another extension of I-59.

* The northern half would become I-224.  If this section was not constructed to interstate standards, it would make a nice reroute or bannered route for US 64.

emory

Quote from: afone on August 22, 2014, 08:28:40 PM
If this does come to fruition, do you think it will carry an interstate designation? Perhaps Interstate 875. Also, would plans for a Chattanooga loop cause GDOT to look are reviving the Northern Arc or even the entire Outer Perimeter for Metro Atlanta.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jun/11/chattanooga-bypasshighway-encircling-metro-area/

A 200 mile 3di would be the longest in the country by far.

Tom958

Quote from: US 41 on August 23, 2014, 11:44:15 AM
Does Chattanooga really need a bypass?

Well, the I-75 bypass portion was recommended prominently in the Georgia Statewide Freight and Logistics Plan, 2010-2050p:

QuoteHighway — Bypass I-75 "Bypass"  north Georgia & metro Chattanooga, TN.

2.94  High B/C ratio.

Proposal initiated in Tennessee transportation plans. No solid commitment to pursue in Tennessee.

The part from I-59/24 to I-75 would provide a nice shortcut for ATL-Nashville traffic and divert some traffic from I-24 in Chattanooga, which was pretty congested at rush hours the last time I was through there regularly. There are inherent safety issues with I-24 from US 27 to I-75, too. But a bypass would require a major tunnel through Lookout Mountain.

To me, it doesn't seem sensible to build a bypass there until I-24 east of 59 has been six laned. I'm amazed that that hasn't happened yet.

IMO, the bypass idea would be more compelling if Georgia had built GA 2 Battlefield Parkway as a freeway. EDIT: I'll add that it may be that Georgia decided way back in the '70's that they didn't have the money for such a thing, and never would.

xcellntbuy

I am often an advocate for new roads but, the beauty of northern Georgia and southeastern Tennessee should be well taken into consideration before something stupid is ever considered. :hmmm:

WashuOtaku

Don't see it happening.  Remember, SR 840 was suppose to be a complete loop around Nashville and that hasn't by no means bee completed.  The Chattanooga route appears to be in the same vain attempt to make an uber large loop with no real possibility to be completed.  The biggest issue blocking this "pie in the sky" project is the fact it falls in two states; I especially don't see Georgia moving much ground for a city in Tennessee.

hbelkins

Tennessee gives Georgia water; Georgia builds Tennessee's Chattanooga bypass.

(Or is the water dispute with Alabama? I forget which state is involved.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Arkansastravelguy

An 875 bypass from Dalton to Cleveland would certainly be helpful. Also noted 77% think the bypass is needed

iPhone

WashuOtaku

Quote from: hbelkins on August 24, 2014, 10:23:09 PM
Tennessee gives Georgia water; Georgia builds Tennessee's Chattanooga bypass.

(Or is the water dispute with Alabama? I forget which state is involved.)

You're right, it's between Tennessee and Georgia.  But Georgia wants to take land from Tennessee to get untethered access to the Tennessee River, something Tennessee will not agree upon.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 24, 2014, 11:03:33 PM
An 875 bypass from Dalton to Cleveland would certainly be helpful. Also noted 77% think the bypass is needed

iPhone

Heh. I was thinking that exact same thing in my head this morning after looking at this thread. In my head I thought of the possibilities of the loop not working out, then started brainstorming about a possible bypass for I-75 traffic going through Chattanooga. And I had the exact same numbering idea; I-875, since 475 & 675 are taken in GA and 275 is taken in TN. I had the idea of I-875 splitting off of I-75 in GA just before Exit 341 (GA SR 201; Tunnel Hill, Varnell), then having an exit at SR 201, then continuing Northbound to have an exit at SR 2 in between Ringgold & Varnell, then having an exit at Mount Vernon Road west of Cohutta, then passing the Tennessee line entering Tennessee, then having an exit at Apison Pike just east of Apison, then having an exit at Tallent Road, then having an exit at US 11/US 64/TN SR 2 in McDonald, then finally merging onto I-75 just before Exit 20 (US 74; Cleveland).
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

codyg1985

I think the southern and eastern segments could be justified. The southern segment could facilitate the I-24 East to I-75 South movement, since it gets a lot of regional and truck traffic from Nashville and points north and west to Atlanta and points south and east. Unfortunately, going over or through Lookout Mountain would be incredibly expensive. After crossing Lookout Mountain, it could roughly follow GA 2 to I-75.

I could also see the eastern segment working well for through I-75 traffic. IMO, the northern segment isn't needed. This one could roughly follow the Norfolk Southern Railway cutoff line between Dalton and Cleveland that bypasses Chattanooga.

If either of them are built, I would expect them to be built as toll roads, especially the southern segment.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

tidecat

If the eastern segment is built as an interstate, you wonder if Georgia and Tennessee would have I-75 moved onto it.  The control city on I-75 could still be Chattanooga pretty much all the way up to each end of the bypass, and it would take thru traffic out of the city.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

bugo

Quote from: tidecat on August 30, 2014, 07:37:39 PM
If the eastern segment is built as an interstate, you wonder if Georgia and Tennessee would have I-75 moved onto it.  The control city on I-75 could still be Chattanooga pretty much all the way up to each end of the bypass, and it would take thru traffic out of the city.

Not going to happen.

froggie

If the eastern segment gets built, and I'd call that a very big *IF*, I'd expect it to be signed as I-875.

codyg1985

I could see the eastern segment being built before the southern segment.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 01, 2014, 10:20:46 AM

GDOT recently took a high-level look at a Chattanooga Bypass in its Georgia Freight and Logistics Plan, 2010-2050 (completed Jan. 2012 and partially updated Dec. 2013), and it only shows the "eastern segment" (page 25/77 of pdf; page 2-15 of document):

Duke87

If nothing else the eastern segment is easier from an engineering standpoint. The southern segment would have to contend with Lookout Mountain, probably demanding a tunnel.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: afone on August 22, 2014, 08:28:40 PM
No scale on the map on the article, but 200 miles is a generous estimate.  The eastern leg seems feasible as a re-route of I-75; any re-designation or extension of anything within the loop/bypass would extend in fictional territory, so I won't venture right now...

US 41

Quote from: Grzrd on September 01, 2014, 03:42:26 PM

GDOT recently took a high-level look at a Chattanooga Bypass in its Georgia Freight and Logistics Plan, 2010-2050 (completed Jan. 2012 and partially updated Dec. 2013), and it only shows the "eastern segment" (page 25/77 of pdf; page 2-15 of document):

The connector south of the proposed western Atlanta bypass probably wouldn't really be needed.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

adventurernumber1

Quote from: US 41 on September 04, 2014, 05:44:33 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on September 01, 2014, 03:42:26 PM

The connector south of the proposed western Atlanta bypass probably wouldn't really be needed.

I agree. A Columbus-Macon-Augusta corridor is much more needed than that. If the proposed I-14 is ever built, which will connect those cities, then that dream will be fulfilled.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.