Regional Boards > Mountain West

Arizona

<< < (24/25) > >>

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on September 05, 2021, 05:58:43 PM ---Can anyone explain why the road connecting I-17 to Sedona is 2 lanes wide?

The traffic I experienced there this morning was absolutely awful.

Meanwhile Cottonwood gets a 4 lane divided highway connecting it to Sedona.

--- End quote ---

Because the City of Sedona and Oak Creek wanted AZ 179 reconfigured to be multi-use and pedestrian friendly.  Much of AZ 179 was one four lanes and had traffic lights.  If you’re in a hurry AZ 89A and AZ 260 is the way better way back to I-17.  Cornville Road is an okay alternative between AZ 89A and I-17.  It’s worth noting that AZ 89A was until recently a US Route. 

Also, just a piece of advice on Sedona.  If you try to talk “car centric” anything with the locals it will get a largely negative response.  There are a lot of outdoor types up in Sedona and they tend not to be receptive towards outsiders and ideas that don’t fit the views of the community.  Hell, they even got McDonald’s to do a teal arch given it was a city ordinance to use it in the color scheme.

Edit: turns Arizonaroads.com has a photo of the old AZ 179/AZ 89A junction before the current roundabouts were built.

https://www.arizonaroads.com/arizona/az179.html

kernals12:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2021, 06:06:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: kernals12 on September 05, 2021, 05:58:43 PM ---Can anyone explain why the road connecting I-17 to Sedona is 2 lanes wide?

--- End quote ---

Because the City of Sedona and Oak Creek wanted AZ 179 reconfigured to be multi-use and pedestrian friendly.  Much of AZ 179 was one four lanes and had traffic lights.  If you’re in a hurry AZ 89A and AZ 260 is the way better way back to I-17.  Cornville Road is an okay alternative between AZ 89A and I-17.  It’s worth noting that AZ 89A was until recently a US Route. 

Also, just a piece of advice on Sedona.  If you try to talk “car centric” anything with the locals it will get a largely negative response.  There are a lot of outdoor types up in Sedona and they tend not to be receptive towards outsiders and ideas that don’t fit the views of the community.  Hell, they even got McDonald’s to do a teal arch given it was a city ordinance to use it in the color scheme.

--- End quote ---
I saw that, it was pretty cool.

As for the rest of your argument, surveys show pretty decent support for major road improvements.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on September 05, 2021, 06:18:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2021, 06:06:38 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I saw that, it was pretty cool.

As for the rest of your argument, surveys show pretty decent support for major road improvements.

--- End quote ---

That’s the thing, the locals wanted AZ 179 put on a road diet and configured the way it presently is.  I had an office in the City of Sedona when AZ 179 was being reconfigured to how it is now.  The pre-existing configuration of AZ 179 wasn’t fun either but it also didn’t take forever to get out of town on the weekdays like it does now.  I can’t fathom the community would tolerate the prospects of endangering that multi-use trail that runs alongside AZ 179.  Converting the highway back to a more conventional configuration or giving it lane expansions would be an unprecedented communal change of heart. 

kernals12:
Phoenix's freeway system did not disappoint during my trip. That being said, I wish they could plant some cacti along the roads, the gravel just didn't look very good, and neutered the effect of artfully designed bridges and retaining walls. Also, I think an extension of 303 East is necessary to serve Carefree, Cave Creek, and Northern Scottsdale, our resort was over 10 miles from the nearest on-ramp and while that's only mildly annoying now, as growth continues, it could lead to massive congestion on surface streets in the future.

ztonyg:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on September 11, 2021, 02:16:52 PM ---Phoenix's freeway system did not disappoint during my trip. That being said, I wish they could plant some cacti along the roads, the gravel just didn't look very good, and neutered the effect of artfully designed bridges and retaining walls. Also, I think an extension of 303 East is necessary to serve Carefree, Cave Creek, and Northern Scottsdale, our resort was over 10 miles from the nearest on-ramp and while that's only mildly annoying now, as growth continues, it could lead to massive congestion on surface streets in the future.

--- End quote ---

I don't think there are any plans for an extension of the 303 east. Eventually there will be a "parkway" that will connect Sonoran Desert Drive (the road at the end of the 303) to Black Mountain Blvd (the road at the end of SR 51) but that is the only plan I've heard so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version