Regional Boards > Mountain West

Tucson Freeways

<< < (3/24) > >>

swbrotha100:
Tucson takes way too long just to widen existing roads. Forget about a new freeway or parkway. I would love to see the mentality change there, but I'll believe it when I see it.

There is one good thing going on there. Many of the interchanges on I-10 NW of Prince Road are due to be redone. Most will be new bridges over the freeway and parallel railroad tracks.

corco:
I lived in Tucson for two years (2010-2012) and commuted from Oracle and Hardy down to the university (roughly 6th and Euclid) during rush-hour three days a week. While the lack of a freeway was odd and people would whine about no freeway, traffic really wasn't that bad once you got used to it and figured out what streets to be on (1st to Orange Grove was much faster than taking Speedway to Oracle) and lane to be in and when. It might be worse going east, but coming from Oro Valley, I never saw any particular need for more road- it seemed like adding a freeway connection would be more for the sake of saying that there was a freeway than for any real reason. Having lived in places with congested freeways, I actually felt like having timed traffic lights was better and more efficient than sitting on a gridlocked freeway.

mrsman:

--- Quote from: corco on May 13, 2015, 11:52:23 PM ---I lived in Tucson for two years (2010-2012) and commuted from Oracle and Hardy down to the university (roughly 6th and Euclid) during rush-hour three days a week. While the lack of a freeway was odd and people would whine about no freeway, traffic really wasn't that bad once you got used to it and figured out what streets to be on (1st to Orange Grove was much faster than taking Speedway to Oracle) and lane to be in and when. It might be worse going east, but coming from Oro Valley, I never saw any particular need for more road- it seemed like adding a freeway connection would be more for the sake of saying that there was a freeway than for any real reason. Having lived in places with congested freeways, I actually felt like having timed traffic lights was better and more efficient than sitting on a gridlocked freeway.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it does. Because instead of having everyone take the freeway, traffic is spread around many more arterials.  For a city that is Tucson's size, it works very well.

DJStephens:

--- Quote from: corco on May 13, 2015, 11:52:23 PM ---I lived in Tucson for two years (2010-2012) and commuted from Oracle and Hardy down to the university (roughly 6th and Euclid) during rush-hour three days a week. While the lack of a freeway was odd and people would whine about no freeway, traffic really wasn't that bad once you got used to it and figured out what streets to be on (1st to Orange Grove was much faster than taking Speedway to Oracle) and lane to be in and when. It might be worse going east, but coming from Oro Valley, I never saw any particular need for more road- it seemed like adding a freeway connection would be more for the sake of saying that there was a freeway than for any real reason. Having lived in places with congested freeways, I actually felt like having timed traffic lights was better and more efficient than sitting on a gridlocked freeway.

--- End quote ---

Much of Tucson does have an efficient "gridiron" pattern, similar to Chicago and other cities, where streets are straight, run either N-S or E-W and major intersections were often placed exactly a mile apart.   As for additional freeway in the Tucson metro area, wonder why ROW was not identified and preserved along Houghton Road on the far east side, for eventual upgrading to a piece of an beltway? 

707:
Seems ADOT didn't give up on the idea of Freeway upgrades for years.

http://azhighwaydata.com/resolutions/?syear=1927&eyear=2014&crc=3&rtnum=910&submit1=Submit

Apparently, Grant Road, Kolb Road and Valencia Road were part of a little known unsigned State Route 910 Loop. I say "were" considering all Route Logs published by ADOT in modern times don't show a SR 910 anywhere. Plus, the lack of maintenance on Grant Road speaks for itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version