News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

395 / 580 freeway

Started by Voyager, January 24, 2009, 11:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Is this thing done yet to Carson City from Reno? I noticed that the freeway was being built south of Lake Washoe into Carson City, but I'm assuming the section from Mt. Rose highway to there was never completed? I really wish they would finish that.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Darkchylde

I believe the southern end near Carson is still not finished. Most of it in Reno is either done or seeing slight reconstruction of the exits. At least, the last time I saw or heard any news on it, anyway.

roadfro

There are two separate projects going on to connect US 395 and I-580 in south Reno to Carson City:

1.) I-580 Extension Project:  Mt. Rose Hwy (SR 431) to Bowers Mansion Rd (SR 429) through Pleasant Valley north of Washoe Lake.  Most of the bridges are finished, except for the Galena Creek Bridge (which is the most visible part of the construction).  Grading has taken place on other parts of the project, but to my knowledge, no pavement has been placed yet.  This project is still at least one year from completion.

2.) Carson City Freeway:  Phase 1 built the freeway from the north end of Carson City to US 50 east of the city--this opened in 2006.  Phase 2A extends the freeway south another mile or so to Fairview Drive--this is currently under construction and will probably open later this year.  Phase 2B completes the bypass to US 50 west/US 395 south on the south end of town--this will be constructed in the future as funds are available. 

About 7-8 miles of existing freeway west of Washoe Lake separates the two projects.  This section has been in place since 1970.

US 395 (I-580) within Reno itself has been completed for many years, with no construction activity within the last 7.5 years.  There is a future widening project for NB US 395 between Plumb Lane and I-80 that is in the initial planning stages.

The I-580 designation will be extended and signed to the southern US 50-395 junction in Carson City upon completion of both freeway projects.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Ubeans2001

Didn't they already open some parts in Carson City? It's actually coming along nicely and I'm glad they're finally adding a new interstate to Nevada. Next all they have to do is extend the 515 down the 95.
Road geek since 1999

roadfro

Quote from: Ubeans2001 on January 27, 2009, 03:24:38 AM
Didn't they already open some parts in Carson City? It's actually coming along nicely and I'm glad they're finally adding a new interstate to Nevada.

The Phase 1 construction completed the freeway from the East Lake Blvd interchange (just north of Carson City) around the northeast corner of the city to a temporary terminus at William Street/US 50 East.  This stretch opened in early 2006.  (US 395 currently returns to the present alignment along a temporary overlap on present-day US 50/William Street/SR 530.)

Quote from: Ubeans2001 on January 27, 2009, 03:24:38 AM
Next all they have to do is extend the 515 down the 95.

From some internal concept designs I've seen at NDOT, I-515 will eventually get a short extension.  It will only extend as far as the new US 93/95 junction west of Boulder City on the first phase of the US 93/Boulder City Bypass.  That first phase of the bypass is at least in the preliminary design stage, but I don't think funding has been secured at this point.

I-515 is not expected to extend south on US 95 toward Laughlin, nor south/east on US 93 around Boulder City or over the Hoover Dam Bypass. 
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

John

Last time I was in the Reno/Carson City area (about a year and a half ago) the project hadn't even started, so I'm glad to see it coming along. I think the most important part is actually the rural part, since the Reno section is already built and Carson City didn't have huge traffic problems to begin with.
They came, they went, they took my image...

Voyager

I think that the section along Washoe lake is one of the worst, and I don't know if they're planning on upgrading that.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

John

Yeah it is pretty old, but considering what they have already spent on the project, they will probably just leave that section be until it gets really bad.
They came, they went, they took my image...

roadfro

Quote from: John on January 27, 2009, 10:08:32 AM
Last time I was in the Reno/Carson City area (about a year and a half ago) the project hadn't even started, so I'm glad to see it coming along. I think the most important part is actually the rural part, since the Reno section is already built and Carson City didn't have huge traffic problems to begin with.

Actually, the I-580 project was fairly well along at that point in time. 

For the rural section through Pleasant Valley, much of the bridgework was underway.  Except for the Galena Creek Bridge, much of the work taking place at that time wasn't particularly noticeable unless you were specifically looking for it.  It may have been that when you were through was during the time a contractor/NDOT dispute which resulted in the the contractor quitting and the project being re-advertised and re-bid.  That suspended work for 6 months easily.

The Carson City part has been under constant construction.  After the first phase wrapped, they almost immediately started working on phase 2A, which extends the freeway another mile or so.  That portion should be opening some time this year.  The final miles in phase 2B, though, are awaiting funding.  The Carson City part is important, as there is a lot of weekday commuter traffic between Reno and Carson, as well as the communities south of Carson.  That, coupled with the recreational traffic following Carson Street right by the capitol complex, puts constant strain on the traffic system in the city.

The section along Washoe Lake is not slated for upgrades, as far as I'm aware.  The Carson City freeway tied into the south end, and the I-580 project boundary is at SR 429 on the north end.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that section as is, other than the fact that high-profile vehicles have to detour during strong winds.  It will eventually need widening, as both the Carson freeway and the I-580 extension have three lanes at their ends, and the Washoe Lake section is only two lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.