Regional Boards > Southeast

It's time to revive the northern half of I-840

(1/21) > >>

I-39:
Nashville has grown tremendously in the last decade since the northern half of I-840 (then TN-840) was shelved, and it will likely continue as people move to Tennessee from elsewhere. As a result of the growth, traffic in and around Nashville is getting progressively worse. Finishing the northern half of I-840 will allow traffic to bypass downtown Nashville and provide better connectivity for the growing suburbs of Nashville.

Yes, it will be costly, but I'm sure they could find creative ways to fund it. It is eventually going to be needed, so it's time for TN-DOT to revive this project before it's too late.

UPDATE as of 5/31/2020: I no longer believe this is necessary

iBallasticwolf2:
Awesome that I-840 is approved. Will it get signed anytime soon?

I had an idea for funding in that the two Cumberland River Bridges could be tolled both ways to support maintenance similar to the infamous 8$ toll on the Susquehanna River I-95 bridge.

As a side note I could see the TN-386 freeway connected to the new I-840 freeway as part of the project.

I-39:

--- Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 21, 2015, 08:49:19 PM ---Awesome that I-840 is approved. Will it get signed anytime soon?

I had an idea for funding in that the two Cumberland River Bridges could be tolled both ways to support maintenance similar to the infamous 8$ toll on the Susquehanna River I-95 bridge.

As a side note I could see the TN-386 freeway connected to the new I-840 freeway as part of the project.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure about when exactly I-840 will be signed. AASHTO approved it on May 15th, but the FHWA still has to approve it.

I am not a fan of tolling, but it may have to be considered here.

iBallasticwolf2:

--- Quote from: I-39 on July 21, 2015, 09:18:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 21, 2015, 08:49:19 PM ---Awesome that I-840 is approved. Will it get signed anytime soon?

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure about when exactly I-840 will be signed. AASHTO approved it on May 15th, but the FHWA still has to approve it.

--- End quote ---

In that case the toll on each bridge could be low like 4 dollars. Since the new road is going to be an interstate it can at least get federal funding. Of course tolling may be the only solution for the bridges. Anyone want to chop at design?

SteveG1988:

--- Quote from: I-39 on July 21, 2015, 09:18:07 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The I-95 bridge is a toll not for the bridge, but for the entire section of 95 from 695 to Delaware, as that is the JFK Memorial Highway, which is basically the MD turnpike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version