News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 4 Ultimate Project

Started by Guysdrive780, August 20, 2015, 05:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guysdrive780

The Interstate Ultimate Project is a real project going on right now in Toll Road Loving Florida. The project calls for a complete redo of Interstate 4 through Orlando, Florida. The design is to improve traffic interchanges and adding 4 tolled express lanes.

More info

This is another Public/Privite Parnership. Its not clear who the Private entities are but here is why I got.

This is the Private Team involved in the project.
Skanska
Granite
Lane
HDR
Jacobs
ICA
John Laing

This form is made to talk about the project's progress.
I run the DOT Youtube Channel, Part time Worker for TXDOT, College Student studying Civil Engineering (Traffic Engineering). Please Keep in mind, I do not represent TXDOT and all opinions I say are my own and not TXDOT's

Brian556

I already made a thread for this.

The Ghostbuster

What is the likelihood of this actually happening? It seems like a massive upgrade.

Guysdrive780

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 21, 2015, 04:52:52 PM
What is the likelihood of this actually happening? It seems like a massive upgrade.
Its going on right now
I run the DOT Youtube Channel, Part time Worker for TXDOT, College Student studying Civil Engineering (Traffic Engineering). Please Keep in mind, I do not represent TXDOT and all opinions I say are my own and not TXDOT's

jwolfer

Quote from: Guysdrive780 on August 21, 2015, 07:18:50 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 21, 2015, 04:52:52 PM
Its going on right now
That is part of the reason Sunrail was started last year to help with i4 problems for the next 7 years while the road is completely reconsructed

jwolfer

Orlando is a perfect example of the changes in demographics that have gone one since interstates were planned. 1950 Orlando was a medium sized, regional, and very Deep South city along the lines of Columbus, GA. Important for cattle and citrus. It was the 4the city of Florida behind Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville  Now it's the center of a 2.3 million person metro. I-4 was build to connect Tampa to I-95 more than anything else.

The leadership of Orlando lobbied to have the Florida turnpike turn inland instead of running from Miami to Jacksonville along the coast ( like i95 now). They build the Beeline( now beachline) Expressway to connect to Cape Canaveral so they could capitalize on the space program, military and defense contractors.  Then in the 1960s Walt Disney flew of the the intersection of i4 and the Florida turnpike and he like the highway connections, that changes central Florida forever. Disney world is 30 miles away from Orlando and it was nothing but swamps and grazing land. The transition of Orlando in my life is amazing.

Its real interesting to read about how Disney set up shell corporations to buy land so people would not know it was Disney. Also the Reedy Creek Improvement District and its unique set up. The names of the shell corporations are on the business names of the second floor "companies" on main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom.

NE2

Quote from: jwolfer on August 22, 2015, 10:44:33 AM
Its real interesting to read about how Disney set up shell corporations to buy land so people would not know it was Disney.
Ayefour Corporation :D
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Orlando is a perfect example of the changes in demographics that have gone one since interstates were planned. 1950 Orlando was a medium sized, regional, and very Deep South city along the lines of Columbus, GA. Important for cattle and citrus. It was the 4the city of Florida behind Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville  Now it's the center of a 2.3 million person metro. I-4 was build to connect Tampa to I-95 more than anything else.

The leadership of Orlando lobbied to have the Florida turnpike turn inland instead of running from Miami to Jacksonville along the coast ( like i95 now). They build the Beeline( now beachline) Expressway to connect to Cape Canaveral so they could capitalize on the space program, military and defense contractors.  Then in the 1960s Walt Disney flew of the the intersection of i4 and the Florida turnpike and he like the highway connections, that changes central Florida forever. Disney world is 30 miles away from Orlando and it was nothing but swamps and grazing land. The transition of Orlando in my life is amazing.

Its real interesting to read about how Disney set up shell corporations to buy land so people would not know it was Disney. Also the Reedy Creek Improvement District and its unique set up. The names of the shell corporations are on the business names of the second floor "companies" on main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom.

How about Clermont and all of US 27.  From a few miles south of FL 50 to Minneola the once 65 mph rural highway has transformed practically overnight into a suburban arterial.  With all the rural land between Winter Garden and Clermont filled in with houses, strip malls, and fast food joints Clermont is now part of Metro Orlando.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

As you look at why the changes, don't forget widespread air conditioning.

davewiecking

Brian556

Quote from roadman65:
QuoteHow about Clermont and all of US 27.  From a few miles south of FL 50 to Minneola the once 65 mph rural highway has transformed practically overnight into a suburban arterial.  With all the rural land between Winter Garden and Clermont filled in with houses, strip malls, and fast food joints Clermont is now part of Metro Orlando

I remember that well. The area around the Citrus Tower was very rural

Quote from kkt:
QuoteAs you look at why the changes, don't forget widespread air conditioning

Good point. People often forget that AC has not been around all that long. It is the most important invention behind electricity.

jwolfer

Quote from: kkt on September 01, 2015, 06:16:47 PM

As you look at why the changes, don't forget widespread air conditioning.
So true for FL and really the whole Sunbelt.. How many would want to spend summer in Phoenix, Jacksonville or Atlanta without a/c

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.