News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Charlotte

Started by wriddle082, October 15, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

^ They effectively pushed the merge point further east by reconfiguring that lane drop, pushing any queue caused by the lane drop into the queue from the I-485 interchange. Seems like a poor decision on their part.

fillup420

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 06, 2021, 04:28:53 AM
^ They effectively pushed the merge point further east by reconfiguring that lane drop, pushing any queue caused by the lane drop into the queue from the I-485 interchange. Seems like a poor decision on their part.

I will say though, the new setup is less dangerous. When the left lane drop was in place, many aggressive drivers would cut in too late and cause a crash. The left shoulder there is narrow so no room for error. I can recall many a crash there causing the entire southbound side to be blocked.

architect77

Ok so I-85 is culprit regarding the interchange congestion.

I looked at a map and it looks like they didn't do much for the transitions in directions that had other highways not too far away going in the same direction. zIn other words, locals would the another road first to uptown rather than use the outerbelt and I-85. I'm looking set the NW quadrant of Meck when I hypothesize this.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: architect77 on September 11, 2021, 09:08:07 AM

I looked at a map and it looks like they didn't do much for the transitions in directions that had other highways not too far away going in the same direction. zIn other words, locals would the another road first to uptown rather than use the outerbelt and I-85. I'm looking set the NW quadrant of Meck when I hypothesize this.

The core issue is the loss of the 4th lane going into Gaston County. Until I-85 is widened through there you will have a chokepoint due to the loss of capacity. It's similar to how I-85 north of Charlotte used to always have a chokepoint wherever the freeway dropped from 4 lanes. Around rush hour the problem is that you have lots of traffic coming off the SW quadrant of 485 (via Ballantyne) and the traffic coming from Uptown via 85 converging together shortly before the loss of the 4th lane and then being squeezed down to 3 lanes into Gaston.  There really isn't a decent alternative as waiting in traffic on 85 is still usually faster than going down Wilkinson through all the stoplights and those are the only Catawba River crossings in the area.

Third Strike

When is the next phase of construction on Independence Blvd supposed to start? The project page on NCDOT's website says that ROW acquisition should have already started and that construction should start next year. But I'm pretty sure property acquisition hasn't started yet:

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-74-express-lanes/Pages/default.aspx

Quote from: Mileage Mike on September 11, 2021, 10:11:32 AM
Quote from: architect77 on September 11, 2021, 09:08:07 AM

The core issue is the loss of the 4th lane going into Gaston County. Until I-85 is widened through there you will have a chokepoint due to the loss of capacity. It's similar to how I-85 north of Charlotte used to always have a chokepoint wherever the freeway dropped from 4 lanes. Around rush hour the problem is that you have lots of traffic coming off the SW quadrant of 485 (via Ballantyne) and the traffic coming from Uptown via 85 converging together shortly before the loss of the 4th lane and then being squeezed down to 3 lanes into Gaston.  There really isn't a decent alternative as waiting in traffic on 85 is still usually faster than going down Wilkinson through all the stoplights and those are the only Catawba River crossings in the area.

Gaston County is pushing for another crossing across the Catawba. I believe it's a remnant of what the Gaston Parkway was going to be. However, I wouldn't expect this project to happen for at least another decade.

https://catawbacrossings.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Corridor-Map-scaled.jpg

cowboy_wilhelm

Even with I-85 widened to four lanes to the south/west, there are still over 30,000 vehicles merging into a one-lane ramp from I-485 to I-85 southbound on an average day. The congestion from the I-85 bottleneck doesn't help, but this problem won't go away until the ramps from I-485 are extended. What's needed are three lanes from I-485. Lane 7 ends at the Sam Wilson Rd overpass, lane 6 ends before the Moores Chapel Rd overpass, lane 5 exits at Exit 27, and then four lanes to US 321.

I would also vote for relocating the southbound weigh station as that is forcing all trucks into the right lane and interfering with the flow of things as they have to merge left twice in half a mile after leaving the station.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Mileage Mike

wriddle082

Quote from: Mileage Mike on November 24, 2021, 08:15:29 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 24, 2021, 01:49:42 PM
The new flyover bridge at Concord Mills opens this afternoon.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-11-24-concord-mills-bridge-opening.aspx

Just in time for Black Friday

Gonna have to go back up there and check that out.  A month and a half ago, when I went to Concord Mills to return something for my wife, the flyover didn't look like it was close to being finished.  I suppose the rain letting up for the past few weeks allowed the contractors to focus on finishing things up.

I'm hoping NC starts doing this type of thing more often at certain busy intersections.  It seems to have made a difference in Florida.  Specifically, in the Ft. Myers area, where they did a similar treatment to intersections used heavily by beach traffic.

tolbs17

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 25, 2021, 08:46:45 AM

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-11-24-concord-mills-bridge-opening.aspx

Gonna have to go back up there and check that out.  A month and a half ago, when I went to Concord Mills to return something for my wife, the flyover didn't look like it was close to being finished.  I suppose the rain letting up for the past few weeks allowed the contractors to focus on finishing things up.

I'm hoping NC starts doing this type of thing more often at certain busy intersections.  It seems to have made a difference in Florida.  Specifically, in the Ft. Myers area, where they did a similar treatment to intersections used heavily by beach traffic.
I would like for Crabtree Valley Mall to get one of those.

Alex

Quote from: tolbs17 on November 25, 2021, 10:55:02 AM

That's great.

As it is no longer needed, why don't you suggest moving the one from the former Landmark Mall in Virginia to there while you're at it.

tolbs17

Quote from: Alex on November 25, 2021, 07:23:46 PM

That's great.

As it is no longer needed, why don't you suggest moving the one from the former Landmark Mall in Virginia to there while you're at it.
Great Idea, and NCDOT already plans to improve Glenwood Ave and I-440 traffic.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: tolbs17 on November 26, 2021, 04:32:18 PM

That's great.

I think Alex was being sarcastic.

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 26, 2021, 06:18:18 PM

That's great.

I think Alex was being sarcastic.
Ah didn't realize.

architect77

That's great.

That project has been pushed back for at least 5 years. As slow as most projects are completed you could count on one hand how many you'll see in your lifetime. Will any of us see I-95 8 lanes through the state? I won't.

sprjus4

^ Are you referring to a single segment of 8 lanes or the entire distance throughout the state? Because if the former, then close to 50 miles is already under construction / going to be soon. And if the latter, than that's a definite given outside of the 50 miles already underway for 8 lanes, the remainder is only planned for mostly just 6 lanes.

architect77

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 02, 2021, 02:49:03 AM
^ Are you referring to a single segment of 8 lanes or the entire distance throughout the state? Because if the former, then close to 50 miles is already under construction / going to be soon. And if the latter, than that's a definite given outside of the 50 miles already underway for 8 lanes, the remainder is only planned for mostly just 6 lanes.

The entire length of I-95. It will take a long time. I hope we get NC connected to the Northeast Corridor by faster train service much sooner.

The only missing link is 100 miles of the abandoned S line between Raleigh and Richmond. Virginia now owns the right of way, and the two states just need to find $4 billion to bring it back into service.

Virginia is upgrading service from D.C. to Richmond, so I have faith that Charlotte and Raleigh will see faster service to the Northeast within 20 years.

tolbs17

wriddle082

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 03, 2022, 11:59:29 PM
When looking at this, I hope this would give a boost to the I-485 express lanes project.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsoctv.com/news/local/documents-link-best-buy-industrial-project-eyeing-property-near-charlotte-airport/XMRV5BMV3BDWBGKBOPBCZSCPGE/%3foutputType=amp

Doesn't need a boost.  The whole south end of Charlotte out to the airport is too busy as it is.  They're making a big mistake not adding one more free lane in each direction from US 74 to NC 16, and they need a fourth from 77 south side to 85 west side, plus a reworking of the on-ramp to 85 south.

Third Strike

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 04, 2022, 04:39:18 AM
When looking at this, I hope this would give a boost to the I-485 express lanes project.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsoctv.com/news/local/documents-link-best-buy-industrial-project-eyeing-property-near-charlotte-airport/XMRV5BMV3BDWBGKBOPBCZSCPGE/%3foutputType=amp

Doesn't need a boost.  The whole south end of Charlotte out to the airport is too busy as it is.  They're making a big mistake not adding one more free lane in each direction from US 74 to NC 16, and they need a fourth from 77 south side to 85 west side, plus a reworking of the on-ramp to 85 south.

What's weird about the widening of I-485 from NC 16 to US 74 is that they left enough space for a third general purpose (or second express lane). Seems like this will create an unnecessary bottleneck in the future.

wriddle082

Quote from: Third Strike on March 04, 2022, 09:19:19 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on March 04, 2022, 04:39:18 AM

What's weird about the widening of I-485 from NC 16 to US 74 is that they left enough space for a third general purpose (or second express lane). Seems like this will create an unnecessary bottleneck in the future.

Short term it might be ok, but long term it definitely needs the extra lane.  What really remains to be seen IMO is the impact that the new Weddington Rd exit is going to have, in terms of adding traffic to the inner loop in the mornings.

CanesFan27

"At this point, the proposal is just that - a proposal.  However, it's been a rumored possibility for a few years.  Whether or not CRTPO gives the idea its blessing is unknown.  But many community leaders on the CRTPO board still have a bad taste in their mouths after Northern Mecklenburg's toll experience.  As a result, it may take a whole lot of mouthwash to make these toll lanes a reality."

NCDOT shares an unsolicited I-77 South Toll Lanes proposal to local leaders:

Story Links:
https://www.wfae.org/politics/2022-07-21/i-77-express-lane-proposal-receives-tense-welcome-from-regional-transportation-organization
https://www.wbtv.com/2022/07/20/transportation-officials-set-discuss-proposal-add-toll-lanes-i-77-south/
https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/more-tolls-proposed-interstate-77-charlotte-south-carolina-state-border/

My Take:
https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/07/more-toll-lanes-in-charlotte-maybe.html

WashuOtaku

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 23, 2022, 04:38:32 PM
"At this point, the proposal is just that - a proposal.  However, it's been a rumored possibility for a few years.  Whether or not CRTPO gives the idea its blessing is unknown.  But many community leaders on the CRTPO board still have a bad taste in their mouths after Northern Mecklenburg's toll experience.  As a result, it may take a whole lot of mouthwash to make these toll lanes a reality."

It is no secret that NCDOT wants to add manage lanes along I-77 south from Uptown to the state line, it is in the current STIP clearly stating as such. What is angering everyone is that a 3rd party is making a unsolicited proposal to be part of that future project and everyone knows who this "anonymous" company is.  :popcorn:

ahj2000

Has anyone heard anything about a date for the Weddington Road/I-485 intersection?

CanesFan27

Mark was right - it's cintra behind the unsolicited I-77 managed lanes proposal.

Some details from their proposal:
- $2.3 billion price tag
- 50-year operational contract
- Would add two managed lanes in each direction / no additional general (toll-free lanes)
- Direct interchanges with 5th st and Woodlawn Road.
- If construction started in 2024 - 2029 completion date

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local/cintra-interstate-77-tolls-uptown-charlotte-north-carolina-south-carolian-border/275-726810ee-fff0-4fa3-8076-24b21d1a4aba?fbclid=IwAR22HH57d7pnqfUNpUMlFWYPoh4pZCs6wbnb7N6TsMCW9eA_7xD-D1U_AAU

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.