News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Report: Atlanta has worst interstate in U.S. for truck traffic

Started by afguy, November 20, 2015, 02:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

Can't say I'm surprised....
QuoteAtlanta's Spaghetti Junction is the worst place in the country when it comes to truck-related congestion, according to an annual report by the American Transportation Research Institute.
And six more interstates that run through Atlanta are listed among the worst places for truck traffic.The annual report — called The 2015 Congestion Impact Analysis of Freight-Significant Highway Locations — assesses the level of truck-oriented traffic at 250 locations on the national highway system. The transportation group this week released a report that represents the top 100 congested locations.
The group introduces its worst list saying, "The number one spot on the ATRI list this year is the Tom Moreland Interchange in Atlanta, a five-level stack interchange at the intersection of I-285 and I-85. Known by local commuters as "Spaghetti Junction,"  it is not only the confluence of two highly traveled interstates, but also provides ramps to four secondary roadways."
The Top 10 list of truck chokepoints:
Atlanta: I-285 at I-85 (North)
Chicago: I-290 at I-90/I-94
Fort Lee, N.J. : I-95 at SR 4
Louisville, Ky.: I-65 at I-64/I-71
Houston: I-610 at U.S 290
Houston: I-10 at I-45
Cincinnati: I-71 at I-75
Houston: I-45 at U.S. 59
Los Angeles: SR 60 at SR 57
Houston: I-10 at U.S. 59
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2015/11/report-atlanta-has-worst-interstate-in-u-s-for.html

triplemultiplex

The headline should reflect the number of entries on that list for Houston.  That seems more noteworthy.  4 out of 10 is a lot on a national scale.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JamesT456

Basically every Interstate interchange in Atlanta is on the top 100 with the exception of I-75/I-285 south, I-85/I-285 south.
I was looking at the whole top 100, and the Houston area has 10, and 4 is on the top 10, WOW!!!

When I am in Atlanta, I hate driving through the Spaghetti Junction. I drove through it a few weeks ago from Duluth off of 85, to get on I-285 to get on I-20 towards Augusta, and I was in traffic on the ramp until a littel after I gotten on 285 East(South).

Off topic thou some of those variable speed limits signs on 285 were blink, also I did not know that any freeway could be signed 35mph, thought the min. in Georgia is 40.
James T.
Driving up & down the Roads most days on the Interstates.

golden eagle

I used to live in Duluth. Spaghetti Junction was nothing nice.

Henry

I'm not the least bit surprised that the Circle Interchange in Chicago made that list either! Hopefully the reconstruction will make it more truck-friendly.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

Could truck-only lanes be constructed anywhere on the Atlanta Freeway System?

xcellntbuy

I believe a whole new bypass of Atlanta would be necessary.  Quite frankly, I believe it is needed.

Tom958

Quote from: xcellntbuy on November 23, 2015, 07:18:58 PM
I believe a whole new bypass of Atlanta would be necessary.  Quite frankly, I believe it is needed.

Henry

Quote from: xcellntbuy on November 23, 2015, 07:18:58 PM
Tell that to the many towns in its path that still oppose it!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

2Co5_14

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 23, 2015, 03:46:40 PM

There have been numerous studies done on the potential benefits of truck-only toll (TOT) lanes being built in and around metro Atlanta.  The challenge as always would be funding.  The trucking industry will support them only if the TOT lanes are optional for trucks, but the only feasible way to fund construction would be to require all trucks to pay a substantial toll to use them.

The Ghostbuster

If truck toll lanes existed, and they reduced the travel time between shipping jobs, I think the trucking industry should reconsider their opposition to tolls.

SteveG1988

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 23, 2015, 03:46:40 PM

Yes...they exist, it's called....

Interstate 285.

If you have to go on 75 to 75...

If you are on 20 and need to stay on 20.....

Trucks are not allowed inside the 285 system, forced to use the outer lanes on 285 as well.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

lordsutch

Those aren't truck-only lanes though. They're lanes that trucks have to use.

That said, no, I don't expect GDOT to build truck-only lanes in metro Atlanta. The general attitude is they can adjust schedules to use the excess capacity overnight, bypass Atlanta completely using the partially-complete GRIP corridors, sit in traffic (which probably doesn't take more time than piddling around through heavily signalized, speed trap infested small towns on GRIP corridors), or divert to freight rail.

SteveG1988

Quote from: lordsutch on December 09, 2015, 07:37:44 PM
Those aren't truck-only lanes though. They're lanes that trucks have to use.

That said, no, I don't expect GDOT to build truck-only lanes in metro Atlanta. The general attitude is they can adjust schedules to use the excess capacity overnight, bypass Atlanta completely using the partially-complete GRIP corridors, sit in traffic (which probably doesn't take more time than piddling around through heavily signalized, speed trap infested small towns on GRIP corridors), or divert to freight rail.

I was saying that, because that is the source of the issues, trucks only have two routes for atlanta, Clockwise around 285 or Anticlockwise around 285. When you have all trucks forced to exit 85,20,75 onto one major beltway, you will have issues.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

RoadWarrior56

I believe that Atlanta is ranked this bad for trucks.  I live here.  Driving around 285 during daylight hours is a joke.  I plan my whole work day so as to know when not to be on certain roadways at certain times.  They should had constructed the Outer Perimeter when they had the chance, or least the Northern Arc section.  NIMBY's should had not been allowed to kill that roadway.  Toll financing would had made sense in this case, since GDOT was short of funds otherwise.

Now, GDOT has just announced that it is going to widen a 20+ mile section of SR 20, which would be parallel to the old Northern Arc.  That corridor is developing big time.  By the time that roadway is finished, it will likely have numerous signals and even more development along the corridor.  This will be no substitue for a limited access highway, and it will not help truck traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.