News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Or the time I was coming back from Michigan with my uncle.

He dropped his quarter and it rolled under the car.

He gets out of the car to go find his quarter.

Meanwhile the line starts backing up behind us.

I get out and my side and look and there are hundreds upon hundreds of quarters all pushed into the asphalt. I tell him to forget it and just pull out another quarter.

Soon the honking starts, but that doesn't deter him.

He finally finds his quarter under the car, throws it into the basket and off we go.

I ask him why didn't you just get out another quarter?

I then get a 15 minute lecture on the value of a quarter, and while it may not have value to me, it certainly does to him.

That was my last word until we got home.

US20IL64

Don't miss sitting in lanes waiting to pay tolls, at all. I dump my extra change buying stuff at 7-11.

abefroman329

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 15, 2021, 02:46:06 PM
Don't miss sitting in lanes waiting to pay tolls, at all.

Oh God no, I have strong memories of the backups at the Deerfield toll plaza, especially on weekends during the summer.

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 15, 2021, 02:46:06 PMI dump my extra change buying stuff at 7-11.

I don't pay with cash very often and get coins back even less often, so I just hoard them until I have enough to justify taking them to the bank to be counted.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 15, 2021, 02:46:06 PM
Don't miss sitting in lanes waiting to pay tolls, at all. I dump my extra change buying stuff at 7-11.

I was among many who had that dime, nickel, quarter organizer in the front seat specifically for the tolls. Then came the mid 2000s and I got my iPass and haven't looked back since (OK, except when I was driving a friend's car one time and they didn't have an iPass). Interesting that the self-service lane option never really got a foothold, and I do wonder why those weren't at least kept (maybe cost and manpower needed to maintain?).

US20IL64

Just pay online, and get a tech savvy friend to help if needed.

JoePCool14

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 15, 2021, 04:50:21 PM
Interesting that the self-service lane option never really got a foothold, and I do wonder why those weren't at least kept (maybe cost and manpower needed to maintain?).

They probably came around too late. If they had introduced them network-wide a decade or so ago, they may have actually stuck around. At this point, it makes more sense for ISTHA to move to online only.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

abefroman329

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 15, 2021, 04:50:21 PMI was among many who had that dime, nickel, quarter organizer in the front seat specifically for the tolls.

The one that had the different-sized notches where you could store the coins sideways, or the kind that was a coin dispenser?

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 15, 2021, 04:50:21 PMInteresting that the self-service lane option never really got a foothold, and I do wonder why those weren't at least kept (maybe cost and manpower needed to maintain?).

Not that many people any more who have a credit card and own a car, but not a toll transponder, or have a credit card and own a car, but don't have regular access to the Internet.  When they announced they were ending cash toll collection, they also announced they were expanding access to this program: https://www.illinoistollway.com/assist

ChiMilNet

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 16, 2021, 09:50:16 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 15, 2021, 04:50:21 PMI was among many who had that dime, nickel, quarter organizer in the front seat specifically for the tolls.

The one that had the different-sized notches where you could store the coins sideways, or the kind that was a coin dispenser?

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 15, 2021, 04:50:21 PMInteresting that the self-service lane option never really got a foothold, and I do wonder why those weren't at least kept (maybe cost and manpower needed to maintain?).

Not that many people any more who have a credit card and own a car, but not a toll transponder, or have a credit card and own a car, but don't have regular access to the Internet.  When they announced they were ending cash toll collection, they also announced they were expanding access to this program: https://www.illinoistollway.com/assist

Answer to first item: The one that had different sized notches to store the coins sideways.
Second Item: For local drivers, I totally get it (BTW, I have been using iPass for 15 years now). I do think of those out of state drivers, though, who don't know the system as well. For those drivers, the website doesn't exactly tell you where it detected your plate and such (as far as I know), so it isn't as user friendly, and having that self-service option would be a helpful idea, since they whole plaza is still there in most cases (unless the ISTHA has plans to ultimately tear them down).

US20IL64

Saw a Self Serve lane at the exit for IL-22 on Tri-State (94). So still hanging in there.

abefroman329

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 16, 2021, 11:05:56 AMFor those drivers, the website doesn't exactly tell you where it detected your plate and such (as far as I know), so it isn't as user friendly

Oh, it's awful in that regard; I'm a local and I couldn't tell you which toll plaza I exited at, or the precise time of day I exited.

I don't think they installed any of the self-service machines at mainline toll plazas, though; maybe they will.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 16, 2021, 11:12:29 AM
Saw a Self Serve lane at the exit for IL-22 on Tri-State (94). So still hanging in there.
the roselle rd ones where just shutdown over the past 1-2 days

ChiMilNet

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 16, 2021, 11:12:37 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 16, 2021, 11:05:56 AMFor those drivers, the website doesn't exactly tell you where it detected your plate and such (as far as I know), so it isn't as user friendly

Oh, it's awful in that regard; I'm a local and I couldn't tell you which toll plaza I exited at, or the precise time of day I exited.

I don't think they installed any of the self-service machines at mainline toll plazas, though; maybe they will.

Based on the trend, it seems that they are being removed, if anything. I think they are making a mistake by doing that, for reasons noted above, but I guess online is the future and the future is now.

Revive 755

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 16, 2021, 11:12:37 AM

They did install some at mainline plazas:

* The Army Trail Plaza on I-355 had one for each direction.
* The Boughton Plaza on I-355 had one for each direction.

What's worse is they seem to have gotten rid of the I-Pass confirmation lights (these) at some of the ramp plazas (unless I'm hitting a lot of burnt out ones - the online statement shows no issues with my transponder).

abefroman329

That's unfortunate - I appreciate the confirmation that my EZ-Pass was read. I've been honked at several times for confirming the blue light lights up before proceeding.

ET21

Blue light always pops up no matter your speed. I think the "full stop" or 15 mph limit is for safety mostly for when they had people in the booths along with the narrow kiosk lanes. I've gone through at many mph between 15 and 55 and the light always goes on.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

Quote from: ET21 on September 17, 2021, 09:13:19 AM
Blue light always pops up no matter your speed.
Yeah, but I still like to wait for the blue light to come on before proceeding.

US20IL64

The I-Pass lights flash fairly quick, even at 35 mph.  :clap:

abefroman329

If I roll through at 35, it's gonna be way too late to do anything about it if the blue light doesn't come on.

lstone19

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 17, 2021, 03:17:29 PM
If I roll through at 35, it's gonna be way too late to do anything about it if the blue light doesn't come on.

What would you do if it doesn't come on? Even if you come to a stop, it's too late to do anything about it.

US20IL64

"What would you do if it doesn't come on?"

I never had an issue in 20 some years of I-Pass. And, the open road tolling lanes do not have the 'confirmation lights'. With rentals, paid online easily. And have auto-replenish.

abefroman329

If there's an issue with my EZ-Pass, I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later.  I don't drive through toll plazas with barriers nearly as much as I drive through toll plazas without barriers.

Revive 755

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 17, 2021, 05:50:55 PM
If there's an issue with my EZ-Pass, I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later.

I second this.  I would like to know of any issues with my I-Pass rather than have it act up, not know about it, and have issues when trying to use it on a toll facility outside of Illinois - mainly Indiana where there are still gates at the plazas.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 17, 2021, 10:43:23 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on September 17, 2021, 05:50:55 PM
If there's an issue with my EZ-Pass, I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later.

I second this.  I would like to know of any issues with my I-Pass rather than have it act up, not know about it, and have issues when trying to use it on a toll facility outside of Illinois - mainly Indiana where there are still gates at the plazas.
Why does Indiana still have gates? even in the ECT only lanes?? I all most took out an gate one day not knowing that they had them.

lstone19

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on September 17, 2021, 11:13:42 PM
Why does Indiana still have gates? even in the ECT only lanes?? I all most took out an gate one day not knowing that they had them.

Because apparently it's more important not to let even one car through without or with an inoperative EZ-Pass even if it means delaying all the cars in line behind the problem car. And yes, I've seen that happen.

iPhone

roadman65

http://www.highwayhost.org/Illinois/IllinoisTollway/tollway1.html
Vintage photos of the original Howard Johnson Restaurants at the Oasis that now are food courts for Tollway Travelers.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.