Regional Boards > Northeast

Interstate 81 in Syracuse

<< < (3/222) > >>

cl94:

--- Quote from: kalvado on June 14, 2016, 05:37:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 14, 2016, 05:25:00 PM ---Although I have never been to Syracuse, here's what I think should be done. Either upgrade the existing viaduct to modern design standards, or build the tunnel. The boulevard proposal should be done away with (too much congestion).

--- End quote ---
Problem in that there is a big enough "urbanist" movement which doesn't want highway, in any shape or form, in tunnel, overhead, and in no other configuration, within the city. They are vocal enough to be heard, and they don't care about commute screw-up.
If boulevard option prevails, would be quite interesting to see what happens with the city -  commuters switching to buses, or business follow the road. Probably both to some extent...
There is actually similar situation 100 miles east in Albany, where 787 elevated portion is similar design and similar age to I-81 in Syracuse. So Syracuse can become a precedent for Albany...

--- End quote ---

Except that the barrier in Albany is also the very active rail line which runs in the median of I-787. Additionally, I-787 is nearing the end of a major rehab. Everything south of and including the I-90 interchange has been redone over the past few years. The bridges were redecked and everything else was resurfaced. Get rid of I-787 and the elevated rail line is still there.

kalvado:

--- Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2016, 05:46:27 PM ---Except that the barrier in Albany is also the very active rail line which runs in the median of I-787. Additionally, I-787 is nearing the end of a major rehab. Everything south of and including the I-90 interchange has been redone over the past few years. The bridges were redecked and everything else was resurfaced. Get rid of I-787 and the elevated rail line is still there.

--- End quote ---
I had an impression that rail line is not elevated  except for Broadway bridge (that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a "barrier", though). It ends 
Interchange, as far as I understood, got piers replaced as well... making it effectively a brand new structure (correct me if I am wrong?...)

cl94:

--- Quote from: kalvado on June 14, 2016, 05:57:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2016, 05:46:27 PM ---Except that the barrier in Albany is also the very active rail line which runs in the median of I-787. Additionally, I-787 is nearing the end of a major rehab. Everything south of and including the I-90 interchange has been redone over the past few years. The bridges were redecked and everything else was resurfaced. Get rid of I-787 and the elevated rail line is still there.

--- End quote ---
I had an impression that rail line is not elevated  except for Broadway bridge (that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a "barrier", though). It ends 
Interchange, as far as I understood, got piers replaced as well... making it effectively a brand new structure (correct me if I am wrong?...)

--- End quote ---

The entire thing is on an embankment from Rensselaer St to Division St. Within the circle stack, I-787 is below track level but at ground level, giving the impression of a sunken highway. North of there, a pedestrian bridge crosses everything. The barrier existed long before I-787 was built, so removing it won't do much.

kalvado:

--- Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2016, 06:07:19 PM ---The entire thing is on an embankment from Rensselaer St to Division St. Within the circle stack, I-787 is below track level but at ground level, giving the impression of a sunken highway. North of there, a pedestrian bridge crosses everything. The barrier existed long before I-787 was built, so removing it won't do much.

--- End quote ---
If you ask me, removing all those commonly hated things -  787 along with rail line, plaza, and whatever else they want to remove, won't do much good to city of A. anyway. And beware of what you ask for - you may get it...
But that is a bit off-topic in  I-81 discussion.

machias:

--- Quote from: kalvado on June 14, 2016, 05:37:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 14, 2016, 05:25:00 PM ---Although I have never been to Syracuse, here's what I think should be done. Either upgrade the existing viaduct to modern design standards, or build the tunnel. The boulevard proposal should be done away with (too much congestion).

--- End quote ---
Problem in that there is a big enough "urbanist" movement which doesn't want highway, in any shape or form, in tunnel, overhead, and in no other configuration, within the city. They are vocal enough to be heard, and they don't care about commute screw-up.
If boulevard option prevails, would be quite interesting to see what happens with the city -  commuters switching to buses, or business follow the road. Probably both to some extent...
There is actually similar situation 100 miles east in Albany, where 787 elevated portion is similar design and similar age to I-81 in Syracuse. So Syracuse can become a precedent for Albany...

--- End quote ---

I sent an email to Region 3 asking what their intentions are as far as exit numbering and milepost location if they decide to relocate I-81 to other routes and go with the boulevard option. I strongly pointed out that leaving everything as is will create even more confusion for motorists and that they should budget in the costs for a complete renumbering of the interchanges along I-81 in its entirety in New York State. I have not yet received a response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version