News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on August 11, 2016, 04:18:29 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 08, 2016, 04:59:22 PM
I doubt US 70 will be retracted once all segments of future Interstate 42 are completed and signposted.

I guess it would depend on whether NCDOT could convince AASHTO to allow them to move US-70 to its former pre-freeway alignments through Clayton, Goldsboro and New Bern, and then leave it on its current routing through Kinston and Havelock. If that happens then yeah I think US-70 survives all the way to its current terminus in Atlantic.

If not, then it would probably eventually be truncated back to Garner. Would we really need an I-42/US-70 concurrency all the way to Morehead City?

NCDOT could decommission US-70 Bypass in Goldsboro once it becomes I-42, so the new bypass would only have one designation. The way I look at it, US-70 Bypass is only good as a temporary placeholder for I-42, just like NC-44 used be temporary for US-70 Bypass.

The US-70 Bypass freeway in Selma could also be decommissioned and signed solely as I-42. I'm not so sure about the Clayton Bypass or New Bern since it's "vanilla" US-70, but then again, AASHTO (albeit reluctantly) allowed US-117 to be returned to it's old 2-lane alignment between Goldsboro and Wilson once I-795 came about, so I suppose anything is possible.

I don't think AASHTO and/or FHWA would have a problem with any future bypasses (Havelock, Kinston, etc...) being signed solely as I-42 since they generally follow the US-70 corridor. I don't think that an I-42/US-70 concurrency is neccessary for the entire length.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Avalanchez71

I am shore the Eastern North Carolians will not want to truncate US 70.  There is too much tied to the economic environment even if I-42 is actually built.  I-42 won't go everywhere that US 70 does.

slorydn1

Keeping in mind this could be considered fictional, I still feel it's appropriate here because of our ongoing discussion of what to do with US-70 when I-42 is completed. This is my vision of what I think US-70 can be once that happens, going from Garner to Morehead City:

If you are following along with me on the map, look where US-70 is coming east from Garner. It would move back to its previous alignment down what is now US-70 BUS through Clayton, so it would no longer be jumping on with I-40 at its Exit 306. It would then become concurrent with I-42 from what is now US-70's Exit 326 to it's current Exit 334, where it would go through Selma and at least "temporarily permanently" be I-42's access to I-95.

After rejoining I-42 for another concurrency at it's current Exit 336 it would then continue east until the beginning of the new Goldsboro Bypass where it would leave I-42 for it's current trek through Goldsboro (I-42 is replacing US-70 Bypass here).

It would rejoin I-42 at the east end of the Goldsboro Bypass near Lagrange and be concurrent until the beginning of the as yet unbuilt Kinston Bypass, so until somewhere near the Banks School Rd intersection in Lenior County. I-42 would jump off here on to its new facility and US-70 would follow its current route through the Kinston area.

I-42 would actually rejoin US-70 somewhere between British Rd and Wyse Fork Rd in Jones County.

Nothing I have said so far is far fetched, its all dual carriage way 4 lane expressway (with some freeway portion in Goldsboro), with the exception of going back to being a 4 lane arterial on the Clayton section).

The rest of the way could be a little more dicey, to wit:

US-70 would then leave I-42 at what is now the Dover turnoff at SR 1005 at the Jones/Craven County line in Dover (that is currently called old US-70) and follow that from Dover all the way to the NC-55 intersection at Beamon's Fork. It would then run concurrent with NC-55 from there through New Bern down Neuse Blvd to First St, then right on First to the Pembroke Exit, where it will become concurrent with I-42 again.

I could forsee AASHTO having an issue with Old 70 being only a 2 lane road, but it is a high speed (55 mph) 2 lane road pretty much that whole distance except through Dover and Cove City proper. In any event, as LM117 posted above, they have kinda set precedent with US-117 being moved back to a 2 lane alignment with the completion of I-795 north of Goldsboro.

Anyway, in my vision I then have US-70 concurrent with I-42, and NC-55 over the Trent River Bridge (properly known as the Freedom Memorial Bridge), with the NC-55 concurrency splitting off as it does now to go over the Neuse River Bridge (by the time all this is done US-17 wouldn't be going through here at all any more, it's New Bern Bypass around to the west and north should be completed by then). US-70 would stay with I-42 all the way to the still to be built Havelock Bypass near Pine Grove, where it would stay on its current alignment through Havelock while I-42 takes the bypass.

After that is anybody's guess. I can tell you that I finally got down to Morehead City last  to pick up one of the last VCR-DVD combo units Best Buy had in stock and I can confirm the total lack of Future I-42 signs on US-70 in Carteret County-this tells me that somewhere in a dusty office at NCDOT someone is holding out hope that the Northern Carteret Bypass gets built someday, and that when that happens I-42 would follow that route to the state port. If that happens, the rest of US-70 through Carteret County would remain as currently aligned all the way to its current terminus in Atlantic, NC.

What this would do would give traffic a decent alternative if something catastrophic were to occur on I-42 where a portion would need to be shut down near one of the cities along the way.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Henry

An excerpt from the Sure Why Now entry:

QuoteComing Soon: With the approval of an Interstate from Clayton to Morehead City, Interstate 42 will be routed along what is currently US 70 By-Pass through the area.  It will also run along regular US 70 to the immediate east and west.  Interestingly, there are no current plans to connect Interstate 42 to its north-south counterpart - Interstate 95. Traffic will continue to use the current US 70 connection through Selma to connect between the two interstate.  So soon a new chapter in the area's colorful highway history is set to begin.
Not having any direct connections between two Interstates should be a crime! Then again, I-95 is not as busy here as it is further north, but that shouldn't be an excuse for not building an interchange with I-42. At least we'll have that with the new I-87.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LM117

Quote from: Henry on August 12, 2016, 11:55:11 AM
An excerpt from the Sure Why Now entry:

QuoteComing Soon: With the approval of an Interstate from Clayton to Morehead City, Interstate 42 will be routed along what is currently US 70 By-Pass through the area.  It will also run along regular US 70 to the immediate east and west.  Interestingly, there are no current plans to connect Interstate 42 to its north-south counterpart - Interstate 95. Traffic will continue to use the current US 70 connection through Selma to connect between the two interstate.  So soon a new chapter in the area's colorful highway history is set to begin.
Not having any direct connections between two Interstates should be a crime! Then again, I-95 is not as busy here as it is further north, but that shouldn't be an excuse for not building an interchange with I-42. At least we'll have that with the new I-87.

Building a direct I-42/I-95 interchange won't be easy, mostly due to the businesses at that junction and it's close proximity to the existing US-70/I-95 interchange. NCDOT will probably leave it as-is, at least until the rest of I-42 is built.

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on August 12, 2016, 11:15:39 AMI can tell you that I finally got down to Morehead City last  to pick up one of the last VCR-DVD combo units Best Buy had in stock and I can confirm the total lack of Future I-42 signs on US-70 in Carteret County-this tells me that somewhere in a dusty office at NCDOT someone is holding out hope that the Northern Carteret Bypass gets built someday, and that when that happens I-42 would follow that route to the state port.

I suspected as much. There's just no way to upgrade existing US-70 between Newport and Morehead City. It's too built up. If I-42 is to reach the Port of Morehead City, the Northern Carteret Bypass will have to be built and that bypass isn't even listed in NCDOT's preliminary 2018-2027 STIP. They're definitely saving that for last, IMO. The Kinston Bypass is listed though, so maybe it'll make the cut this time and US-70 will be a freeway between Goldsboro and New Bern. The current freeway between Dover and New Bern will still need shoulder widening and it's not listed in the STIP either.

Your plan for US-70 sounds good to me, btw!

The Ghostbuster

Are the traffic counts on US 70 between high enough to warrant Interstate 42 to go all the way to Morehead City? If not, maybe they could terminate the future Interstate in New Bern.

slorydn1

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 12, 2016, 04:43:28 PM
Are the traffic counts on US 70 between high enough to warrant Interstate 42 to go all the way to Morehead City? If not, maybe they could terminate the future Interstate in New Bern.

You're right. I am sure they could. But they were already planning to "freeway-ize" (lol) US-70 between New Bern and Havelock well before I-42 was a thing. The traffic between New Bern and Havelock is abysmal during shift change commutes for Cherry Point, and really bad during the summer. They were talking about LOS's of D and F at the major intersections in James City and in Havelock by the 2030's , so NCDOT had already made up its mind about the Havelock Bypass and the James City upgrades.

So, if they're going to do it anyway, then I see no reason for I-42 to not get at least as far as Havelock, and maybe even in my lifetime.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 12, 2016, 04:43:28 PM

It's been many years since I've been that far down US-70, but it got pretty heavy in the summer time during tourist season. Traffic dies down (a little) during the fall and winter seasons, but there is still truck traffic going to and from the Port of Morehead City. Plus, I-42 would serve as a high-speed evacuation route if a major hurricane happens to make a beeline of the Crystal Coast.

NCDOT won't terminate I-42 in New Bern, at least not permanently. The Port of Morehead City is one of the major reasons why they pushed for US-70 to become an interstate in the first place.

texaskdog

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 27, 2016, 01:05:22 PM
I was waiting for an image of the 42 sign behind the podium making a speech.

There is no podium there, only a lectern

Mr. ENC

So I was on 70 today pass Goldsboro going into Princeton and I see a Future 42 shield. So there planning to just upgrade 70 between the bypass and the Smithfield bypass? How is that gonna work with all those homes and businesses on 70? I know they're looking into interchanges in Princeton.

LM117

Quote from: Mr. ENC on August 17, 2016, 08:37:46 PM
So I was on 70 today pass Goldsboro going into Princeton and I see a Future 42 shield. So there planning to just upgrade 70 between the bypass and the Smithfield bypass? How is that gonna work with all those homes and businesses on 70? I know they're looking into interchanges in Princeton.

NCDOT is planning to upgrade US-70 between the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass and the Wayne/Johnston County line. However, it's possible that I-42 would use a new alignment between the county line and Princeton. A recent feasibilty study recommended a southern alignment alternative.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1204A_Report_2015.pdf

A feasibilty study to upgrade US-70 to interstate standards between Selma and Princeton will soon be underway.

http://www.super70corridor.com/cms/lib04/NC01920485/Centricity/Domain/14/aug%2018%20highway%2070.pdf

EDIT: My brain farted. The feasibility study covered the section from the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass to Princeton, not the county line to Princeton. :pan:

slorydn1

I will be interested to see if they do end up going with a new alignment up that way. I had thought they could probably get by going with a Texas style freeway with slip ramps to frontage roads, similar to what they plan to do in James City down here.

The Ghostbuster

After Interstates 42 and 87, I wonder what corridor will get an Interstate designation next (excluding those that are already slated to become Interstates in the future)?

Jmiles32

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 18, 2016, 03:45:14 PM
After Interstates 42 and 87, I wonder what corridor will get an Interstate designation next (excluding those that are already slated to become Interstates in the future)?

Probably the US-17 corridor south of Williamston all the way to Myrtle Beach SC( because Myrtle Beach needs 3 interstates apparently) will become a 2nd I-99 or I-101
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

LM117

If Greenville has their way, US-264 from the city to Zebulon, which would most likely become an I-x87 if it comes to fruition. The Pitt County Board of Commissioners has been raising hell lately about having US-264 upgraded. They act like it's some kind of damn emergency. I'm not against upgrading US-264, but it's not in an urgent need of an upgrade (it's already 70mph), unlike US-70 which has had serious safety issues on most of it's non-freeway sections. Pitt County needs to have a seat.

wdcrft63

Probably US 264 Zebulon to Greenville. But don't count out US 74 from I-26 to I-85.

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on August 18, 2016, 01:46:36 PM
I will be interested to see if they do end up going with a new alignment up that way. I had thought they could probably get by going with a Texas style freeway with slip ramps to frontage roads, similar to what they plan to do in James City down here.

It could probably be done on the Princeton Bypass, but there's Evergreen Memorial Cemetery brushing up directly against US-70 westbound next to the Ebenezer Church Road intersection, which was a big reason the South Alternative was recommended in the feasibility study. I don't know about the section between Princeton and the Selma bypass. I'm definitely looking forward to reading that study once it's done and released.

LM117

The Super 70 Corridor Commission posted VHB Engineering's presentation for a feasibility study that will soon be underway for upgrading US-70 to interstate standards from Buffalo Road near Selma to Edwards Road in Princeton.

http://www.super70corridor.com/cms/lib04/NC01920485/Centricity/Domain/14/FS-1604A%20US%2070%20Commision%20Meeting%20Presentation%20for%20posting.pdf

It looks like a direct I-42/I-95 interchange is being considered after all.

QuoteSystem interchange between US 70 and I-95 to be considered as one of the alternatives

Here's the proposed interchanges and grade separations:

Quote- Consider eight interchange locations
   --US 70/I-95
   --US 70 Bypass/I-95
       -Potentially combine I-95 interchanges into a single system interchange

--Peedin Road Extension (W-5107)
    --Davis Mill Road (W-5107)
    --Country Store Road
    --US 70 Alt
    --Rains Mill Road
    --Edwards Road

- Consider five grade separation locations
     --Firetower Road
     --Creech's Mill Road
     --Dr. Donnie H Jones Jr. Boulevard
     --Old Rock Quarry Road/Barden Street
     --1 undesignated

- Frontage road system for access considerations

froggie

Related to this thread, I've put together a theoretical design for an I-95/I-42 interchange and posted it in Fictional Highways.  The direct Flickr link is here.

The Ghostbuster

How much opposition might there be if a 42-to-95 interchange was actually proposed? And what would the right-of-way impacts be?

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 23, 2016, 06:11:41 PM
How much opposition might there be if a 42-to-95 interchange was actually proposed? And what would the right-of-way impacts be?

You might want to re-read my last post. A direct I-42/I-95 interchange IS proposed, though the interchange design remains to be seen. One of the biggest reasons for the feasibility study that will be done is to answer the very questions you just asked. The draft report is due to be finished by October 2017 and the final report by December 2017.

Personally, I don't think there will be very much opposition, though it would largely depend on what kind of design is proposed in the study. A direct I-42/I-95 interchange would be a welcome relief for US-70 between both ends of US-70 Bypass. It gets pretty congested there.

LM117

As originally posted in the main NC thread, an announcement was made involving NCDOT's draft STIP for 2018-2027. The Kinston Bypass was included.

http://wnct.com/2016/08/24/key-eastern-n-c-projects-to-be-included-in-next-state-transportation-plan/

QuoteProjects for eastern North Carolina include:
Constructing the U.S. 70 Kinston Bypass from N.C. 148 to east of N.C. 58, part of the Future Interstate 42 corridor and an important connection to the Crystal Coast and Port of Morehead City

orulz

I have created my own I-42/I-95 interchange design and posted it in Froggie's Fictional Highways thread from above.

Direct google maps link here

The main concept is to relocate the I-95/US70 interchange further north to give the I-42 interchange some breathing room.
A secondary concept is that it yields a dedicated route for mainline US70 through the area, meaning that US70 does not multiplex with any interstates between I-85 in Durham and I-42 in Princeton.

LM117

The US-70 Corridor Commission posted their minutes from their August 18 meeting. Not much noteworthy.

http://www.super70corridor.com/cms/lib04/NC01920485/Centricity/Domain/14/August%2018%20minutes.pdf

However, updates for projects were given.

QuoteDivision 2 Update

North Carolina Department of Transportation Division 2 Engineer John Rouse updated
the members of the Highway 70 Corridor Commission on the following projects:

- Slocum Gate -Right of way and utility relocation work in progress. Project scheduled to
be let in June 2017.

- Gallants Channel Bridge -Traffic shift completed. Estimate traffic will be on the bridge
in early spring 2017.

- Havelock Bypass - Still waiting on Record of Decision from the Federal Highway
Administration. Ready to begin right of way this fall. Let date is scheduled for 2019.

- James City - Environmental document is underway. Preliminary designs are scheduled
to be completed this fall. Right of way scheduled for 2021. The project will probably be
changed to a design-build project with a 2021 construction let date.

- Kinston Bypass- This is an unfunded project, but scored very well in SPOT 4.0 regional
tier. It is anticipated this will be funded as a regional tier project in the upcoming STIP.
It was the top project in the Eastern Carolina RPO.

- Harvey Parkway-Part C- The environmental documents are complete. North Carolina
Department of Transportation has the Record of Decision. Right of way will start this
fall. The construction let date is scheduled for December 2017.

Division 4 Update

North Carolina Department of Transportation Division 4 Division Engineer Tim Little
updated the members of the Highway 70 Corridor Commission on the following projects:

- Wilson's Mills - Merge is complete. Environmental document in place. Right of way
acquisition scheduled for 2017. Construction let date scheduled for 2019.

- Spot safety project in Princeton at Martin Livestock and Lakeview Estates- Directional
crossover with the medians removed. Connection to Lakeview Estates will be severed on
the south side.

- Pine Level -Bridge building taking place. Ramps can be visualized at Collins, Inc.
Work is progressing well. Project is a little behind schedule with a 2018 completion date.

- Goldsboro Bypass- Overhead signs foundations are complete.

The next meeting of the Highway 70 Corridor Commission will be held on November 10,
2016 at 1:30 p.m. in Wayne County. The meeting will be held at the Lane Tree Conference
Center, 2317 Salem Church Road, Goldsboro, North Carolina.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.