Regional Boards > Southeast

Interstate 87 (NC-VA)

<< < (2/362) > >>

Strider:

--- Quote from: froggie on July 15, 2016, 01:30:51 PM ---That's the name of the group.

--- End quote ---

Found it. Thank you, froggie.

Thing 342:
While I don't think I-87 will ever come to VA, I thought I'd post this here since it's an improvement to the proposed corridor:
I drove through the construction site for the US-17 / Dominion Blvd freeway upgrade on my way home from work yesterday and took a few photos, heading northbound:

Eaglet Pkwy to Scenic Pkwy: Asphalt for the future NB lanes has recently been laid down, while traffic still uses the original roadbed. Some guardrails have been installed, but overall not much progress. This will likely be the last section to be completed.

Scenic Pkwy to VA-165: Traffic shifts over to the new roadbed just past past Scenic Pkwy while the old set is rehabbed. This section seems close to completion, with the SB lanes sporting what appeared to be a decently driveable surface.

VA-165 Interchange: The future northbound half is complete, with SB traffic using the new bridge while NB traffic is forced to use the (fairly short) exit ramps. The southbound portion looks close to being done, with some missing guard rails and some scaffolding around the bridge.

Veterans' Bridge: NB half completed and open to traffic. SB half stretches about 85% of the way across the river, with a gap in the middle. This portion also seems like it will take awhile to complete. The cameras for the toll gantry have been installed, but are not operational. You also have this cramped BGS with distances put in exit tabs, which is a bit weird. (It also has a twin heading southbound).

Veterans' Bridge to VA-166: Largely an extension of the bridge. SB lanes are completed, won't be open until bridge is finished. VA-190 absent from this BGS for whatever reason.

VA-166 Interchange: Completed, with both bridges open to traffic, yet restricted to only one lane for some reason.

VA-166 to VA-190: Both sets of lanes are complete, yet with a 35 mph speed limit and the southbound set restricted to 1 lane for some reason.

VA-190 interchange: Lots of work going on here. Mainline bridges are complete, but likely not open due to the unfinished state of the ramp approaches.

LM117:
Thanks for the pics! Looks like it's coming along pretty good. I agree that it's unlikely I-87 will ever leave NC since VA (except for Hampton Roads) isn't supporting it like NC is. However, VA does have one piece of what could be I-87 already finished should they ever decide to use it to add to the corridor: I-464.

When is the US-17/Dominion Blvd project supposed to be finished by?

Thing 342:

--- Quote from: LM117 on July 15, 2016, 06:04:58 PM ---Thanks for the pics! Looks like it's coming along pretty good. I agree that it's unlikely I-87 will ever leave NC since VA (except for Hampton Roads) isn't supporting it like NC is. However, VA does have one piece of what could be I-87 already finished should they ever decide to use it to add to the corridor: I-464.

When is the US-17/Dominion Blvd project supposed to be finished by?

--- End quote ---
The portion north of Grassfield Pkwy is running ahead of schedule and will be finished by the end of the year, according to the project site (the official date is April 2017). The portion south of there is a separate project and has no listed completion date, but I'd imagine that it'll be completed by this time next year at the very latest.

bob7374:
As I did with I-42, I've created a preliminary I-87 NC exit list with milepost and exit information for current freeway sections of the corridor gathered from Wikipedia entries and traveling the corridor via GSV. The list can be accessed at:
http://gribblenation.net/ncfutints/i87exits.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version