National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

August 5, 2017 Twin Cities meet

<< < (19/19)

froggie:
To all who came to the meet, thank you!  It was a larger group than expected...I was looking at 12-14 and we wound up with 18, including a spouse and two fathers.

I anticipate posting a meet photo (taken on the #9 bridge with the 10th Ave and I-35W bridges and the downtown skyline in the background) once I settle back in Vermont....probably later Tuesday or Wednesday.

Duke87:
After further observation I can provide an answer to the question that was raised about the "LOOK" signs on the light rail. The lights in them that flash are red, not yellow. What flashes is not plain lights, though, it is the text "SECOND TRAIN".

This text, naturally, only flashes when two trains are approaching the crossing from opposite directions. When there is only one train the LOOK signs do not flash. There is, however, always some other method of warning when a train is approaching.

cl94:
Big thanks to froggie for hosting this thing. Excellent mix of sights and more uneven land than I would have ever expected in the Midwest.

--- Quote from: Duke87 on August 06, 2017, 10:48:09 PM ---After further observation I can provide an answer to the question that was raised about the "LOOK" signs on the light rail. The lights in them that flash are red, not yellow. What flashes is not plain lights, though, it is the text "SECOND TRAIN".

This text, naturally, only flashes when two trains are approaching the crossing from opposite directions. When there is only one train the LOOK signs do not flash. There is, however, always some other method of warning when a train is approaching.

--- End quote ---

The Green Line generally uses a flashing train pictogram with arrows pointing in opposite directions to convey the same message. Regardless of whether or not the sign flashes, there is an audible warning at all crossings and generally a ped signal, with crossings where the train doesn't run down the middle of the road typically having standard 4-quadrant gates and flashing lights (both streets and path crossings). Preemption is similar to emergency vehicles, with the flashing white light on signal masts.

A lot of right turn signals across the tracks are 4 sections, with both a red ball and red arrow. Red arrow only comes on when a train is approaching. Blank-out "no right turn" signs turn on as well.

froggie:
Man, did we miss an opportunity...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version