News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morriswa

I think a much, much bigger loop should be built to COMPLETELY bypass Atlanta.

BamaZeus

There was talk a few years back about an "outer" loop of Atlanta, but with urban sprawl as it is there, you'd almost be to the Alabama state line on the west side to make it work.

Morriswa

Well, think about I-275, that goes through Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio.

I think the new loop should still be an x85 numbered one.  Also, it should go above Chattanooga, TN, below Griffin, GA (maybe Macon?), and out to the Athens/Gainesville area.

SSF

Quote from: Morriswa on April 26, 2012, 03:24:22 PM
Well, think about I-275, that goes through Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio.

I think the new loop should still be an x85 numbered one.  Also, it should go above Chattanooga, TN, below Griffin, GA (maybe Macon?), and out to the Athens/Gainesville area.

ok, there is a need for an outer loop, but that loop is ridiculous, especially to go from Athens/Gainesville all the way above Chattanooga.

I suppose if there were a need for an outer loop, it could goto Calhoun at a maximum, but should be placed just south of Cartersville, down to Villa Rica/Dallas area, Griffin works on the south side, and out 20 miles east of 285 North(East side), then Gainesville/Dawsonville on the north end.

Morriswa

Cartersville is too close to I-285.  Shouldn't it go through Dawsonville and southeast of Conyers?

OracleUsr

Isn't Conyers closer to the Beltway than Cartersville?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

rickmastfan67

We're right on the line of Fictional highway territory when talking about a route for a 2nd Atlanta Bypass.  If you want to continue talking about and defining a route for one, it would be best done in the Fictional area. ;)

Grzrd

On Sunday, I noticed several covered signs near the Atlanta airport. This article indicates that, starting Wednesday, international travelers will enter the airport from I-75, while domestic travelers will continue to enter the airport from I-85.  Approximately 100 signs will be uncovered from 10:00 pm Tuesday until 4:00 am Wednesday:

After spending $1.4 billion to build an international terminal, one of the biggest concerns Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport officials have is whether international travelers will be able to find such a large building.
That's what has Balram Bheodari nervous. After two years heading up the international terminal activation team to prepare for the facility's opening Wednesday, Bheodari is worried about the shrouded highway signs across metro Atlanta, waiting for their overnight unveiling to direct travelers.
That's because the 1.2-million-square-foot Maynard H. Jackson International Terminal is on the east side of the airport, which means its entrance for all passengers boarding international flights in Atlanta is off I-75 instead of I-85, which domestic travelers will continue to use to get to the main terminal. That could affect roughly 5,000 people who daily begin their trips to foreign lands in Atlanta and would depart from the international terminal.

The risk is that rushed travelers head the wrong way and end up at a terminal where they can't check in for their flights. That could sully what airport officials hope will be a triumphant opening of the shiny new building that was still undergoing its finishing touches Monday.
So the highly orchestrated big unveiling of the highway signs is key. The plan, in cooperation with the Georgia Department of Transportation, is for as many as 40 workers to toil from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. to uncover the signs in 100 locations. They will work in "rolling roadblocks," closing lanes to allow trucks and booms to change the signs, Bheodari said.
(bold emphasis added by me)

Many of the signs will use an airplane icon instead of the word "airport":

The new signs in some cases use an airplane icon instead of the word airport -- a shift to an international symbol that airport officials say they've been trying to get Atlantans accustomed to for several months by using it on some existing signs.

NE2

There's no ground transportation between the two terminals? Stupid.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on May 14, 2012, 11:43:19 PM
There's no ground transportation between the two terminals? Stupid.

There will be ground transportation between the two terminals; it simply won't provide the quickest way to get to your flight:

Q: What if I go to the wrong terminal?
A: In some cases, you may not be able to check in for your flight or check your bag if you're at the wrong terminal. But don't worry, you can take a shuttle bus to get to the correct terminal. At the main terminal, the shuttle will be at the ground transportation center on the west end of the terminal. Getting from one terminal to the other will take 12 minutes. International travelers in particular may want to allow some extra time the first time they use the new terminal, just to be safe ....
Q: How can I get from the airport MARTA station [located in domestic terminal] to the international terminal?
A: A free shuttle bus will run between the airport MARTA station and the international terminal 24 hours a day.

However, if an international traveler has rented a car while in Atlanta, he or she will need to first go to the domestic terminal:

Q: How can visitors to Atlanta get to the rental car center?
A: A separate free shuttle bus will take travelers from the international terminal to the rental car center. The airport says it's a 15-minute ride and will operate 24 hours a day. When returning a rental car before an international flight, travelers should take I-85 toward the domestic terminal to go to the rental car center, where they can catch a shuttle to the international terminal.

Atlanta-bound international travelers will not be able to access the people-mover after clearing customs; I think THAT is stupid:

Q: Will the people-mover train go to Concourse F?
A: Yes, the train and the pedestrian walkway connect Concourse F with all other concourses. However, if you're an Atlanta-bound international passenger arriving at Hartsfield-Jackson and going through Customs, you'll exit into the international terminal arrivals area after clearing Customs. You won't be able to get through security to access the people-mover train to the main terminal, but you can take a shuttle to the main terminal.

Alps

I think the concept of having two different airport entrances is idiotic. The architects or whoever dreamed this up went for convenience and probably a few bucks saved, but the costs will far outstrip the benefits in short order.

J N Winkler

The arrangement sounds far from ideal, but I suspect travellers will rub along.  Difficult terminal transfers are very much the norm at international airports in the 50 million PATM class.  Somewhat similar examples include Heathrow central bus station to Terminal 4 (local bus), or O'Hare international terminal to one of the domestic terminals (a people-mover is available landside only, and the security checkpoints at the domestic terminals tend to be clogged--a person arriving on an international flight with only two hours to clear passport control, Customs, and security generally arrives at the departure gate for the connecting flight just as it is about to close).  Personally I tend to be more concerned that no security checkpoints are operated downstream of the last opportunity to replenish water bottles before boarding the plane.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NE2

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 16, 2012, 12:34:09 AM
Personally I tend to be more concerned that no security checkpoints are operated downstream of the last opportunity to replenish water bottles before boarding the plane.
If there are any such cases, a lack of bathrooms would seem to be a much bigger problem than a lack of water.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

J N Winkler

Quote from: NE2 on May 16, 2012, 01:51:25 AM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 16, 2012, 12:34:09 AMPersonally I tend to be more concerned that no security checkpoints are operated downstream of the last opportunity to replenish water bottles before boarding the plane.

If there are any such cases, a lack of bathrooms would seem to be a much bigger problem than a lack of water.

There are indeed such cases.  A number of airports (Kansas City International, Zürich Kloten, Amsterdam Schiphol, and others) have long operated their primary security checkpoints at the gate rather than in areas reasonably adjacent to the check-in desks.  The limit on liquids (which was initially a ban) was introduced in the summer of 2006 and I know from personal experience that Schiphol was still operating gate-based checkpoints in the autumn of 2007.  I would expect the operators of all airports that still operate such checkpoints to be transitioning away from them as fast as they can, but this will not be an overnight process for most of them, especially in cases involving new capital spending.

Also, a number of airports now operate secondary security inspections at the gate itself, typically involving a full-body patdown (no inspection of the crotch area in the UK since this is illegal), a full luggage search, and a scan with chemical sniffers if these are available.  I have undergone these only at Heathrow for US-bound flights, and I have never had water confiscated as part of them, but there have been reports of passengers being relieved of drinking water during similar inspections at east Asian airports like Singapore.

Generally, drinking water and bathrooms go together, so there is unlikely to be a last chance to replenish drinking water that is not also a last chance to visit the bathroom.  But in my experience, it is more critical to board the plane with an adequate supply of drinking water than with an empty bladder.  Planes have bathrooms, typically in the ratio of one bathroom per 30-40 passengers on a Boeing 777 in transatlantic revenue service, which is generally enough to accommodate multiple bathroom visits without long waits over an 8- to 12-hour flight.  But if you board the plane without your own water supply, the cabin crew becomes your sole source of drinking water, and they are very stingy with it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

MrDisco99

I've only ever seen the gate (or in-concourse) checkpoints at foreign airports for US-bound flights.  This is due to the more stringent security requirements for US flights.

Here in America, our airports take care of all the necessary scanning and groping up front.

Back on-topic: Is there no way to access the new terminal from I-85?  I live south of the airport so it's a bit awkward for me to loop around to I-75.  I wonder how park-and-rides and airport shuttles will handle this.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 14, 2012, 10:55:37 PM
Many of the signs will use an airplane icon instead of the word "airport":
The new signs in some cases use an airplane icon instead of the word airport -- a shift to an international symbol that airport officials say they've been trying to get Atlantans accustomed to for several months by using it on some existing signs.

This USA Today blog has several photos of the new interstate signage that uses the airplane icon instead of the word "Airport".

Grzrd

Quote from: MrDisco99 on May 16, 2012, 01:24:51 PM
Is there no way to access the new terminal from I-85?  I live south of the airport so it's a bit awkward for me to loop around to I-75.
Quote from: Grzrd on May 16, 2012, 01:38:06 PM
This USA Today blog has several photos of the new interstate signage that uses the airplane icon instead of the word "Airport".

In the link I posted in the above quote, the bottom photo indicates that taking Loop Road from Exit 74 on I-85 South will provide you with an alternative way to get to the international terminal.  Traveling on I-85 North, I suspect that you may access Loop Road from Exit 72 (just a guess; I would need an independent field confirmation).

J N Winkler

Quote from: MrDisco99 on May 16, 2012, 01:24:51 PMI've only ever seen the gate (or in-concourse) checkpoints at foreign airports for US-bound flights.  This is due to the more stringent security requirements for US flights.

Foreign airports do have gate checkpoints and not just for US-bound flights--see this account of a traveller's experience at Munich airport, where he had to drink an entire bottle of water before the gate checkpoint because he was not allowed to carry it on the plane (admittedly, this was during a security alert):

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/travelers-ed/airport-security-abroad-not-the-standard-mumble-and-grumble

When I went through Schiphol in 2007, the primary inspection was at the gate (i.e., there was no security checkpoint before the gate) and my flight was bound for London Gatwick.

QuoteHere in America, our airports take care of all the necessary scanning and groping up front.

No.  Not at all airports.  Kansas City still has gate checkpoints with all restroom facilities upstream of them:

http://www.airportterminalmaps.com/MCI-terminal-map.html

One change I would like to see, but consider extremely improbable, is airside transfer for international arrivals connecting to domestic flights.  In other words, exiting Customs should not dump you into the landside, where you have to go through security a second time.

MrDisco99

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 16, 2012, 02:52:30 PM
No.  Not at all airports.  Kansas City still has gate checkpoints with all restroom facilities upstream of them:

http://www.airportterminalmaps.com/MCI-terminal-map.html

One change I would like to see, but consider extremely improbable, is airside transfer for international arrivals connecting to domestic flights.  In other words, exiting Customs should not dump you into the landside, where you have to go through security a second time.

Ah, the old "drive up to the gate" terminals.  They were built back in the heady 60s and 70s before disrupting air travel became fashionable among terrorists.  JFK's famous TWA terminal was built like that, too, and the need for security made it instantly obsolete.  Not many terminals are like this anymore, but I guess they're still out there.  I've never been to MCI, so I didn't know about that one.

As for customs leaving you airside, that was actually a feature of ATL's previous international terminal.  The flip side of that, though, was the added hassle if ATL was your destination.  Once you got your bags at the international baggage claim and went through customs, you then had to drop them onto another conveyor where they went behind the wall again, then had to go through security to get airside and take the people mover to baggage claim at the opposite end of the airport and claim your bags again.  I'm guessing in the new terminal you now have the option of sending your bags behind the wall and going through security to go airside to catch your transfer (as before), or keeping your bags and going landside.

I don't think you can ever get rid of the security check from customs to airside.  You have to have your big bags with you at customs, so they have to make sure you don't bring that tube of toothpaste from your checked bag back airside.

Tomahawkin

Diverting Diamond Interchange debuted this Morning 15 years past due at Ashford Dunwoody and 285...We need some feedback about this there are at least 15 Interchanges in the Metro ATL Area that needed this 15 years ago. Georgia is soo Ass Backward when it comes to politics and urban planning

golden eagle

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 04, 2012, 10:19:11 AM
Diverting Diamond Interchange debuted this Morning 15 years past due at Ashford Dunwoody and 285...We need some feedback about this there are at least 15 Interchanges in the Metro ATL Area that needed this 15 years ago. Georgia is soo Ass Backward when it comes to politics and urban planning

Here's the AJC article on it:

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/new-i-285-interchange-1451656.html

golden eagle

Quote from: BamaZeus on April 26, 2012, 11:12:50 AM
There was talk a few years back about an "outer" loop of Atlanta, but with urban sprawl as it is there, you'd almost be to the Alabama state line on the west side to make it work.

I doubt if that will ever be built. Heck, I remember all the fuss about the northern arc when I was living in Gwinnett ten years ago (which likely helped Roy Barnes lose the governor's mansion). I remember seeing the preliminary route for the outer loop. It would've gone well west of Atlanta, maybe past Carrollton, IIRC.

SSF

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 04, 2012, 10:19:11 AM

Tomahawkin-well at the rate GDOT is going, we'll have those 15 done in about 5 more years. Prolly by that time, there will be a new innovation and GDOT will be on their 3rd commissioner.

I like how the only interview done with a motorist was a negative one, I was surprised the byline wasnt by Ms. Hart with an article like that.

Tomahawkin

That 1 Cent Sales Tax Vote in July is gonna be Huge! I don't understand why so many are against it other than Ass Backward politics...Especially knowing damn well that Gas is NOT gonna stay at or near 3 dollars once they hike it up again for unspecified reasons...Top end Perimeter just needs to be redone as a whole with every intersection getting upgraded. Ditto for I-75 from the Cobb Cloverleaf to I-575

Not To mention Both 285/I20 Interchanges need to be redone as well as the Intersections of 285 and US 78 and 285 at PIB (Ptree Ind)

I still cant believe that there are still Left handed merges in use at those interchanges with US 78 and I-20 (West of City)

Grzrd

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 05, 2012, 10:08:42 AM
That 1 Cent Sales Tax Vote in July is gonna be Huge!

This Untie Atlanta website has an interactive map that shows the projects that would be supported by the sales tax.  It also puts forth the argument that the sales tax would actually replace a "congestion tax":

This isn't a new tax versus no tax. We're already paying a "congestion tax"  of $924 per year in wasted fuel and lost time. Vote yes for more time to do what you need to do.

I have recently noticed a lot of the interstate-shield "YES" signs in yards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.