News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Route 24 Fall River to Randolph sign project

Started by roadman, November 15, 2017, 02:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Bids were opened today on the Route 24 Fall River to Randolph sign project.  RoadSafe Traffic Systems, Inc. of Avon, MA is the apparent low bidder.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

According to the MassDOT project listing, the notice to proceed was given on Wednesday, January 24. No completion date was listed.

froggie

Does it include conversion to milepost-based exits or no?

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on January 26, 2018, 03:49:46 PMDoes it include conversion to milepost-based exits or no?
My guess would be 'no'.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 26, 2018, 03:56:53 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 26, 2018, 03:49:46 PMDoes it include conversion to milepost-based exits or no?
My guess would be 'no'.
The remembering south of I-195 isn't that difficult.  No changes southbound; the only change northbound is 2 becomes 2A and 3 becomes 2B. So if they did it as part of the project, doing the remainder isn't that difficult.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

AMLNet49

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 27, 2018, 12:56:08 AM
My guess would be 'no'.
The remembering south of I-195 isn't that difficult.  No changes southbound; the only change northbound is 2 becomes 2A and 3 becomes 2B. So if they did it as part of the project, doing the remainder isn't that difficult.
I mean eventually SR 24 will only be exits 1-3, once the rest of it is converted to an interstate

Alps

Quote from: AMLNet49 on January 27, 2018, 11:58:48 PM
My guess would be 'no'.
I mean eventually SR 24 will only be exits 1-3, once the rest of it is converted to an interstate
This is not Fictional Roads.

froggie

^ It isn't, but I've also heard semi-serious rumblings from Mass' officials about converting MA 24 into an Interstate.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on January 28, 2018, 07:54:48 AM
^ It isn't, but I've also heard semi-serious rumblings from Mass' officials about converting MA 24 into an Interstate.
Doesn't sound like it's worth the cost just to upgrade interchanges in incremental ways for a shield. Anything southeast of the I-95/93 corridor isn't going to get that much more traffic or development from an Interstate designation to warrant the work. I'm of the opinion that an existing highway should be able to be designated an Interstate without meeting every exact standard. New highways, yes, since you have design control, but there are smarter ways to spend a billion dollars.

roadman

This has been officially discussed since the early 1990s.  However, until the roadway is widened south of Raynham, which is still several years away at best, any re-designation is not going to happen.

QuoteDoes it include conversion to milepost-based exits or no?

No.  The project is following the current MassDOT practice for sign update work of keeping the current sequential numbers, but designing exit tabs and gore signs to accommodate the future milepost-based numbers.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2018, 10:49:32 AM
Doesn't sound like it's worth the cost just to upgrade interchanges in incremental ways for a shield. Anything southeast of the I-95/93 corridor isn't going to get that much more traffic or development from an Interstate designation to warrant the work. I'm of the opinion that an existing highway should be able to be designated an Interstate without meeting every exact standard. New highways, yes, since you have design control, but there are smarter ways to spend a billion dollars.
2 comments. As I've stated before, I believe MA 3 from Braintree to Cape Cod is more worthy of an Interstate designation than MA 24, either as a re-routed I-93 of I-93 spur. I agree with the potential relaxing of some Interstate standards for existing routes especially since there are many current Interstates that were grandfathered into the system that didn't meet design standards at the time, not to mention now. My criteria would be that if a current route is a logical addition to the Interstate System, built prior to the system's creation or later, met limited access freeway standards for the time it was built and currently has no design deficiencies that would seriously compromise its serving as an Interstate route, and the state(s) promise to have project plans in place to fix any of these deficiencies under the same time period as used in designating Future Interstates (30 years), then the route could get an Interstate shield.

PHLBOS

My guess would be 'no'.
As mentioned in other MA-related threads; MassDOT's postponement of implementing mile-marker-based interchange numbers isn't due to difficulty (plans for such a conversion already exist on paper), but rather due to a combination of a change in administration (Gov. Patrick to Gov. Baker) and the related-PR-backlash received from Cape Cod residents when such was proposed for the Mid-Cape Highway portion of US 6.  Granted that outrage was more directed towards the replacement signs being overhead than the exit number conversions themselves but the latter turned out to be a convenient supplemental scapegoat.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Have obtained a copy of the MA 24 sign plans courtesy of Charlene White of MassDOT. Can confirm Roadman's comment on sequential exits. Here's the new 1-Mile advance sign for the I-93 exit at the northern terminus:

Question-Why wasn't US 1 included on the signs as has been done on new signs for other intersecting roadways?

Here's the 1-mile advance for the I-495 exit. Cape Cod is retained as a control city, but the northbound city has been changed from Worcester to Marlboro:

I plan to put up a site with the more sign plans soon and will post when completed.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on January 30, 2018, 11:11:36 AM
Have obtained a copy of the MA 24 sign plans. Can confirm Roadman's comment on sequential exits. Here's the new 1-Mile advance sign for the I-93 exit at the northern terminus:

Question-Why wasn't US 1 included on the signs as has been done on new signs for other intersecting roadways?
IMHO, given the long concurrency w/I-93 & US 1 and the fact that US 1 does not change roadways nor concurrencies at this location, leaving it off the main interchange/ramps signs is appropriate.  However, I would've preferred to see a listed control city (either Canton or Dedham) for I-93 southbound.  The APL layout certainly allows room for such.

Quote from: bob7374 on January 30, 2018, 11:11:36 AMHere's the 1-mile advance for the I-495 exit. Cape Cod is retained as a control city, but the northbound city has been changed from Worcester to Marlboro:
Okay, in the I-90/Mass Pike signage thread (& on Facebook) southbound I-495's listed control city on the newer major signs is Taunton; mainly due to somebody misguidedly (IMHO) bowing to the whim of MUTCD's purest definition of a control city.  But here, such has gone completely out the window (not that I'm complaining). 

Is MassDOT only implementing that restriction for ramp signage off Interstates but not for US nor state routes?

Nonetheless, I still would've retained the use of Worcester for the northbound I-495 interchange/ramp signage.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 30, 2018, 11:29:45 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 30, 2018, 11:11:36 AM
Have obtained a copy of the MA 24 sign plans. Can confirm Roadman's comment on sequential exits. Here's the new 1-Mile advance sign for the I-93 exit at the northern terminus:

IMHO, given the long concurrency w/I-93 & US 1 and the fact that US 1 does not change roadways nor concurrencies at this location, leaving it off the main interchange/ramps signs is appropriate.  However, I would've preferred to see a listed control city (either Canton or Dedham) for I-93 southbound.  The APL layout certainly allows room for such.

Quote from: bob7374 on January 30, 2018, 11:11:36 AMHere's the 1-mile advance for the I-495 exit. Cape Cod is retained as a control city, but the northbound city has been changed from Worcester to Marlboro:
Okay, in the I-90/Mass Pike signage thread (& on Facebook) southbound I-495's listed control city on the newer major signs is Taunton; mainly due to somebody misguidedly (IMHO) bowing to the whim of MUTCD's purest definition of a control city.  But here, such has gone completely out the window (not that I'm complaining). 

Is MassDOT only implementing that restriction for ramp signage off Interstates but not for US nor state routes?

Nonetheless, I still would've retained the use of Worcester for the northbound I-495 interchange/ramp signage.
My argument about the US 1 signage is just about consistency. All the pull throughs on I-93 refer to US 1, the secondary route interchange signage includes US 1. The MA 24 plans call for just 2 new US 1 shields, presumably replacing those at the ramp split at the end of MA 24 North. Meanwhile, the signs put up on MA 3 North approaching I-93 in Braintree also just have I-93 on the them, but there is no supplementary US 1 signage at all. I would at least recommend placing some US 1 shields on the support posts there if there are not going to be any mention of US 1 on the MA 24 signage (or on new I-95 signage when those are put up), again to be consistent.

PHLBOS

^^I do agree with your point that the signage should be consistent throughout (I'm looking at you I-95 & US 1 in Peabody/Danvers).

However & IMHO, it would've been better to restrict the US 1 concurrency along I-93 to trailblazer signage (for interchange/entrance ramps), reassurance markers and maybe through-signage.

In the case of MA 24 or even MA 3 (since you mentioned such); one option to inform motorists of the US 1 concurrency w/I-93 would be to place ground-mounted supplemental BGS' that read:
     1 NORTH
USE 93 NORTH

(or use applicable exit number)

1 SOUTH
USE 93 SOUTH

(or use applicable exit number)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

I have created a MA 24 sign photo gallery page and have included examples of each exit's sign plans, including this APL "1/2 Miles" sign for the I-93 exit:

All the plans can be found at http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/MA24photos.html

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on February 02, 2018, 09:53:02 PMAll the plans can be found at http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/MA24photos.html
Nice.  Is it me or does the image for the 1-mile advance BGS for Exit 9/MA 79 North appear squatty?

The existing pull-through BGS for that interchange is missing the SOUTH cardinal (the actual BGS has it.  Personally, I prefer the older legends on the interchange signage than what's being proposed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

According to the MassDOT project listing, work along 24 has begun: "Test borings started 6/3/18 at overhead sign locations. Normal work hours are Monday thru Friday 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. Scheduled hours are Sunday thru Saturday 8:00 PM to 4:30 AM." Typically, how long does this part of the project last?

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on June 15, 2018, 12:06:28 PM
According to the MassDOT project listing, work along 24 has begun: "Test borings started 6/3/18 at overhead sign locations. Normal work hours are Monday thru Friday 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. Scheduled hours are Sunday thru Saturday 8:00 PM to 4:30 AM." Typically, how long does this part of the project last?
Depending on the number of soil borings required, this phase of a project that includes sign structure replacement usually takes between two and four weeks.

bob7374

I've added photos of some of the new exit gore signs put up over the past month as part of the first stage if the MA 24 sign replacement project, including a few with numbers a little bit left of center, such as this:

New town line and other ground-mounted signs are going up as well. Rest of the images can be found in my MA 24 Photo Gallery: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/MA24photos.html

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 05, 2018, 09:30:43 AM
Is it me or does the image for the 1-mile advance BGS for Exit 9/MA 79 North appear squatty?

Not sure what happened in Robert's translation, but the image on the original plans (and the original sign calculations) does not have that squatty appearance.

Ben114

The gore sign at 14 B southbound was changed quite a while ago.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Ben114 on December 29, 2018, 09:10:22 PMThe gore sign at 14 B southbound was changed quite a while ago.
Such might have been due to the previous version being damaged in an accident.

Observation regarding the new gore signs currently erected along MA 24: is there a reason why MassDOT is using Series D for the numerals/lettering instead of the more standard Series E(M) or even Series E?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ben114

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 02, 2019, 11:55:09 AM
Observation regarding the new gore signs currently erected along MA 24: is there a reason why MassDOT is using Series D for the numerals/lettering instead of the more standard Series E(M) or even Series E?
I believe this is so the signs can accommodate a more wider milepost-based exit number.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.