Responding to other drivers bad habits

Started by webny99, December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on December 22, 2017, 12:29:16 PM
If we're all trying to merge, and they're trying to zipper, no problem.  If they're stupid and racing past everyone before then lane ends, then fuck you, buddy.

"Zipper" implies waiting till the lane end, doesn't it?  So aren't these two situations the same?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM
There are countless things drivers do that irk us, but here I made a list of what I feel are the top seven:

1 Left Lane Camping

Anger 7...it is dangerous and they need to start ticketing them.  I just get around them after tailgating myself.

2 Tailgating

Anger 2...Generally I get out of their way, unless they are just total jerks (not using blinkers etc)

3 Cutting In (to get to the left lane)
4 Cutting In (to take an immediate exit)

I can't stand budging, Anger 10....idiots who stay in the right lane until the last second and demand to get in.  Get in back when everyone else does.

5 Talking/Texting on Phone

Anger 8...hang up and drive

6 No Signal or Excessive Signal

Anger 9....lazy asses

7 High Beams or No Headlights

Anger 6...blind everyone for your convenience

I'm not asking for a list of additional irksome habits (we all know we could go on forever). Rather, I am wondering how you respond when you encounter the above scenarios. Feel free to discuss your reaction (or state "no reaction") or rate your anger on a 1-10 scale for each scenario.

texaskdog

I was trying to make a right turn from a T-intersection yesterday and some jackass was coming from the left with his righ turn signal on so I turned in front of him and he almost ran me over, then went around me.  He was driving a Cap Metro vehicle so I reported the jerk.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2017, 02:23:59 PM
If we're all trying to merge, and they're trying to zipper, no problem.  If they're stupid and racing past everyone before then lane ends, then fuck you, buddy.

"Zipper" implies waiting till the lane end, doesn't it?  So aren't these two situations the same?

Um, no.  Zipper implies that the person has found his spot and merges in smoothly.  The stupid fool racing past everyone is just trying to bull his/her way in later.  There is a distinct difference, and I've seen it from my time driving around Chicagoland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

RobbieL2415

I don't really care what you do, just don't cut me off or hit me.  95% of motorists are non-commercial.  AKA NOT for-hire.  Their job isn't on the line when they speed or don't signal or drive aggressively.  There's nothing for them to lose.  They get a ticket, no biggie.  Just pay it and keep driving like shit.  It really doesn't matter to them whatsoever.  I've learned over the years to live and let live on the road.  Honestly, if you rage at someone for driving like a hot head, their response will always be, "IDGAF, mind your own business."  They don't care and you can't change their mind.  Just keep driving properly if you are already.

CtrlAltDel

1 Left Lane Camping
Rage factor: 4/10. Whenever this happens, I will move to or stay on the right and just pass. (I'm surprised at the number of people who try to get the car in the left lane to move over. In my experience, that's likely to make me more frustrated.)

2 Tailgating
7/10. In this case, I slow down and let them pass. But it is one of those things that just makes me crazy. I don't even like it when someone is a hundred or so yards behind me using me as a "pace car." In these situations as well, I will drive normally until I hit the next exit (in case they're just anxious about passing and getting back in time) and then slow down until they pass. 

3/10. How mad I get here depends if there's room behind me. If there is, I get annoyed that they couldn't wait. If not, there's a reason I myself am in the left lane. In any case, when this happens, I'll give a bit of room, and continue on otherwise normally.

4/10. This is largely the same as 3, but since exiting is a bit more of an important decision than passing, I tend to judge it a bit more harshly. If there's space to move over to the left lane here, I'll often take it.

9/10. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. There's nothing to do though but to give 'em some space either ahead of, or preferably, behind me.

2/10. I don't really do anything different here. Maybe I pay a bit more attention to what they're doing since there's no "warning."

4/10. Excessive high beam people are jerks. No headlight people are idiots. I will sometimes try to signal that the headlights aren't on, but not usually.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Brandon on December 22, 2017, 07:08:49 PM

Um, no.  Zipper implies that the person has found his spot and merges in smoothly.  The stupid fool racing past everyone is just trying to bull his/her way in later.  There is a distinct difference, and I've seen it from my time driving around Chicagoland.

I disagree. I think that zipper merge does mean merging at the "end." It's not something that's necessarily smooth either, in my view, especially if there's congestion.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Not according to my state's DOT.

Quote from: KDOT
What is a Zipper Merge?

When a lane is closed in a construction work zone, a 'zipper merge' occurs when drivers use both lanes of traffic up until reaching the defined merge area, where they then alternate turns in "zipper" fashion into the open lane.

When drivers see the "lane closed ahead"  sign and traffic backing up, drivers should stay in their current lane up to the point of merge and then take turns with the other drivers to safely and smoothly merge into the remaining open lane.

What you call "racing past everyone ... trying to bull his/her way in later" is what the rest of us call "doing a zipper merge."  If everyone else wants to get over early and then sit there for five extra minutes, no sweat off my back, I'll use the empty lane.  And in so doing, I'll be the one doing a zipper merge.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2017, 05:17:07 PM

What is a Zipper Merge?

When a lane is closed in a construction work zone, a 'zipper merge' occurs when drivers use both lanes of traffic up until reaching the defined merge area, where they then alternate turns in "zipper" fashion into the open lane.

When drivers see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, drivers should stay in their current lane up to the point of merge and then take turns with the other drivers to safely and smoothly merge into the remaining open lane.

What you call "racing past everyone ... trying to bull his/her way in later" is what the rest of us call "doing a zipper merge."  If everyone else wants to get over early and then sit there for five extra minutes, no sweat off my back, I'll use the empty lane.  And in so doing, I'll be the one doing a zipper merge.

Agreed.  In Brandon's context, 'Zippering' would be anytime someone merges.  Zippering, in most definitions, is done at the merge point.

jp the roadgeek

There are countless things drivers do that irk us, but here I made a list of what I feel are the top seven:

1 Left Lane Camping
2 Tailgating

1.  Usually, I'll just wait for the right time and swing around to the right and pass them.  Annoying, but I don't get overly agitated.

2.  This one is a pet peeve, and it depends on if there are multiple lanes, and if there is a car in front of me.  If there is a car in front of me, I just give a light tap of the brakes, and I'm done.  If there is no car in front of me and it is multiple lanes, it depends on how annoying the person is.  if it's a simple case of tailgating, then I'll most likely just let them by, and give them a dirty look as they do so.  If it involves the other car flashing high beams and horn beeping, then I'll first give the brake tap, then pull over and usually either give a dirty look and mouth something like "go, a___ole".  If it's a single lane and no car in front of me, then I'll give the tap, then slow down about 15 MPH or so.  If it persists, then I'll usually look for a turnoff and either mouth something or make a gesture as the other car passes.

3.  This one kind of depends.  If the person signals, I usually won't get that mad, unless it happens over and over to me on the same trip like there's a neon sign on my roof that says "cut in here".  If it's a non-signal, then I'll usually flash the high beams and/or give a dirty look.  If it's a zipper merge: if the person was originally ahead of me or if the other line is moving at or faster than the speed I'm gong, I'll let them in; fair is fair.  If it's someone that gunned it and hasn't waited in line like the rest of us, I'll give them a hard time and try not to, but I'll usually relent, giving them a dirty look or flashing the high beams as I do.  An out of state license plate will give that person a pass except in the case of gunning it and there was plenty of advanced notice of the lane ending.

4.  This one really depends on if the driver is from out of state.  If they are from out of state, I give them the benefit of the doubt in that they're not familiar with the road.  If it's an in-state plate, it depends on if a signal was used and how close to the ramp we are.  If we're right at the ramp, the person is a local, and no signal is used, it's a perfect storm where I will put on the high beams for about 30 seconds, then shut them off and mouth something and/or make a gesture.

5.  I don't do anything unless it directly involves them making an aggressive maneuver on me.  I usually don't get mad as a driver; I do so more as a pedestrian trying to cross in a crosswalk or in a shopping center.  If someone flies through at 40 MPH on their phone, I'll give the old "Get off your phone, a___ole" shout.

6. Big difference between the two.  The excessive signal may draw a dirty look as I pass, and little else if it's extreme.  No signal can be divided into no signal to get in front of me, or no signal and you turn off in front of me.  The former will draw a combo of a dirty look, flashing the high beams, the horn (if it's obnoxiously close or there's less than a car length between me and the car in front, and a gesture if there was a previous engagement.   

7.  No headlights: I'll usually just give a quick off and on of the lights and say "Turn your headlights on, dummy" to myself in a Fred Sanford kind of voice.  If the person is in front of me, then I'll do the off/on again, then flash the high beams.  It's more that I'm concerned for everyone's safety rather than agitated.  High beams depends on if the car is coming at me or behind me.  If coming at me, I'll usually just give a quick flash of the high beams to let them know they're on.  If the lights are obnoxiously bright, I'll turn mine on about a second before we pass each other.  If it's someone behind me, I'll try to aim my mirror to deflect the light back at them.  If it involves tailgating, use mirror technique, refer to #2, and apply high beams for a few seconds if the person gets in front of me and there is no oncoming traffic.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Brandon

What is a Zipper Merge?

When drivers see the "lane closed ahead"  sign and traffic backing up, drivers should stay in their current lane up to the point of merge and then take turns with the other drivers to safely and smoothly merge into the remaining open lane.

Racing past would also include those who ride on the shoulder to pass traffic, and those who move over onto the entry ramp (but were on the freeway to begin with) and then try to bull their way back in.  You guys should drive around Chicago more often at rush hour.  There's a vast difference between zippering (where both lanes are clogged up and used) and rushing past every one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

UCFKnights

1 Left Lane Camping
2 Tailgating

I'm not asking for a list of additional irksome habits (we all know we could go on forever). Rather, I am wondering how you respond when you encounter the above scenarios. Feel free to discuss your reaction (or state "no reaction") or rate your anger on a 1-10 scale for each scenario.
1. Pull onto the shoulder to pass them, then start merging into them before I pass them to force them over to avoid an accident.
2. Brake check every 30 seconds until they get the message.
3. Hold the horn until they get out of the left lane (if they required me to use my brakes)
4. Give them a thumbs up.
5. Make sexual gestures at them.
6. Start using hand signals to indicate my maneuvers.
7. Dial 911 and report the drunk driver. Follow them and give location updates to the dispatcher.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Brandon on December 24, 2017, 07:18:14 AM
Racing past would also include those who ride on the shoulder to pass traffic, and those who move over onto the entry ramp (but were on the freeway to begin with) and then try to bull their way back in.  You guys should drive around Chicago more often at rush hour.  There's a vast difference between zippering (where both lanes are clogged up and used) and rushing past every one.

I don't know about the others, but the part I was objecting to was:

What you're talking about here is a different situation from driving on a ramp or the shoulder.

texaskdog

What is a Zipper Merge?

Funny how everyone else gets over but the same idiots bully their way in every day, after I've been in the proper lane for 5 minutes.  Screw those idiots.

slorydn1

1) Deploy the forward mounted .50 cal machine guns. I hope to upgrade to a full on zip gun in the near future.
2) Deploy the rear oil and nail dispenser
3) If I have to slow down because of it, see #1
4) If they appear to be not from the area, no harm no foul. If they appear to be from the area, see #1
5) Pull up next to them, deploy the wheel mounted tire shredders
6) Not a big deal, I react to what they do, not their signal (or lack therof).
7a) Usually I just ignore these idiots.
7b) Turn my lights off and back on again as a signal to turn theirs on.

Obviously most everything I typed was in jest.

Really the only one that burns me up is #1, and that's only after an extended period of camping. Usually I will close up on them, realise they arent moving, and drop back. As the miles go by I start to close again, little by little and usually they start to feel the pressure, complete their pass and move. Sometimes they don't. If I can figure out a way by them on the right, I'll try it, but usually that means I now have to cut someone else off to do it which pisses me off because I know that the third innocent driver in the right lane is now pissed at me.

If I have ended up with a clear passing lane on the right then they usually get a 3rd/4th gear blast of a screaming V8 and a middle finger as I go by. Most of the time I can't do that, so they get a glare and a hand signal  to stop camping and move to the right as I crawl by them.

There is one thing related to #7 that happens ALOT to 2005-2014 Mustang GT owners. People coming at us that flash their highbeams at us like a bunch of morons because our fog lights (some prefer to call them driving lights) are in our grills and not lower facias like on other cars. They are not bright, they do not blind you. What seems to set said morons off is that they see 4 lights on instead of 2. I don't just flash these morons back, I give them full on  brights which cuts the fog lights off and with my model year gives them a painfully blinding dose of white HID lights. My hope is that I have taught them a lesson and that they won't do that to the next Mustang they see. Some say I overeact, but after getting flashed several times during a 12 minute drive home from work everyday it gets old, fast.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

triplemultiplex

On most days, I couldn't give a shit about other dumb humans dumb human driving.
Every once in a while though, I make Satan himself blush with the string of obscenities uselessly shouted into the void because I was slightly inconvenienced.

It's mind boggling how driving turns most people into entitled pricks at some point in their lives, even if only for a moment.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jeffandnicole

Quote from: texaskdog on December 24, 2017, 04:47:26 PM

What is a Zipper Merge?

When drivers see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, drivers should stay in their current lane up to the point of merge and then take turns with the other drivers to safely and smoothly merge into the remaining open lane.

Funny how everyone else gets over but the same idiots bully their way in every day, after I've been in the proper lane for 5 minutes.  Screw those idiots.

So you bully them by trying to keep them out?  Sorry, but that's not the answer.

And if "everyone else" gets over, then no one would be in the other lane.  So no, not everyone gets over.  Because you chose to doesn't mean you are the King of the Roads and we shall all bow to the way you choose to drive.

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on December 24, 2017, 04:47:26 PM

What is a Zipper Merge?

Who's the idiot?  The one who spent 5 extra minutes in traffic for no reason.
Male pronouns, please.

SidS1045

Quote from: SP Cook on December 22, 2017, 10:09:55 AMNo headlights people at dusk, in my experience, are generally drunks or people with beater cars not wanting to alert the cops to the fact they have no or only on headlight.  If you cannot afford basic repairs to your car, you cannot afford to own a car.

There are at least two other reasons for no headlights:

1) These days many dashboards are back-lit when the ignition is on.  IOW, no difference in the dashboard's appearance whether it's day or night, leading some to neglect turning on their lights.

2) Daytime running lights.  The driver sees some forward illumination, and thinks that's OK...but there are no lights in the rear at all (except for brake lights), and only the dimmed or smaller lights facing forward.  The Massachusetts State Police recently issued a press release about this, saying "daytime running lights are NOT legal during times when headlights are required."
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman

Quote1) These days many dashboards are back-lit when the ignition is on.  IOW, no difference in the dashboard's appearance whether it's day or night, leading some to neglect turning on their lights.

^^  This!  For the first six months or so after I got my 2012 Focus, which is the first car I've owned with "always on" dashboard illumination, I had several occasions where I would forget to turn my headlights on for exactly this reason.  I'd usually figure out to turn on the lights weren't on within a couple of miles, but it was still disconcerting.  File under "things designers never considered when adding new gimmicks but probably should have."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kalvado

Quote from: roadman on January 25, 2018, 04:10:43 PM
Quote1) These days many dashboards are back-lit when the ignition is on.  IOW, no difference in the dashboard's appearance whether it's day or night, leading some to neglect turning on their lights.

^^  This!  For the first six months or so after I got my 2012 Focus, which is the first car I've owned with "always on" dashboard illumination, I had several occasions where I would forget to turn my headlights on for exactly this reason.  I'd usually figure out to turn on the lights weren't on within a couple of miles, but it was still disconcerting.  File under "things designers never considered when adding new gimmicks but probably should have."
My current car is smart enough to turn off headlight when ignition goes off, so my headlights are on all the time - I don't touch that switch, just keep it on. If that a bad idea? I don't think so.
Alternatively, there is an "auto" position for headlights switch - so the car can tell when it is too dark to turn lights on. Too complex of a system for my simple brain.

bzakharin

I use the auto feature with my 2013 car. It senses darkness and also turns on when wipers are in use. The only times I touch my headlight controls is to switch to high beams and back, and occasionally manually turn on in fog. When other people (service/repair, family members) use the car they tend to turn the headlights on which I sometimes don't notice for awhile.

slorydn1

Same here for the auto feature.

If I were to do it manually, however, I would know that my headlights are not on becuase my gauges would just be the standard white numerals on a black dial. When the lights come on the gauges change to whatever color I have them set at (right now the numbers are green with a red halo, a left over from the holidays).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

US 89

Quote from: SidS1045 on January 25, 2018, 03:11:31 PM
1) These days many dashboards are back-lit when the ignition is on.  IOW, no difference in the dashboard's appearance whether it's day or night, leading some to neglect turning on their lights.

My first car did not have a back-lit dashboard or auto lights, and I often found myself turning my lights on when I was stopped under freeway overpasses, because I couldn't see the dashboard!

Quote from: bzakharin on January 25, 2018, 04:39:57 PM
I use the auto feature with my 2013 car. It senses darkness and also turns on when wipers are in use. The only times I touch my headlight controls is to switch to high beams and back, and occasionally manually turn on in fog. When other people (service/repair, family members) use the car they tend to turn the headlights on which I sometimes don't notice for awhile.

I now have an auto feature, and I use the manual lights for exactly the same two reasons. In thick fog, it's often not dark enough to trigger the auto lights. In order to use the high beams, I have to switch the regular lights from auto to manual on.

Also, my lights don't turn on automatically with the wipers. I wish they did.

Flint1979

1 Left Lane Camping
About a 10. I get annoyed by it and don't like being annoyed. I use the right lane to pass if I have to then wonder why that driver chooses to remain in the left lane when they aren't passing anyone.

2 Tailgating
Probably about an 8 or so. If someone is doing it purposely then I get angry and just move to the other lane if I can just to get rid of them.

Doesn't bother me much if it's done right.

Same as 3.

If the person can focus on the road and the phone at the same time which I can at times depending on traffic it doesn't bother me as much but it seems like they tend to slow down quite a bit and then you see them on their cell phone that's kind of annoying but as long as they are driving on the right it doesn't bother me how slow they are driving.

That's a 10. I think I get more annoyed by the excessive signal more than the no signal but the no signal bothers me more in lots of traffic. I don't use a signal if there are no cars around.

About a 10. The thing is you can't see the no headlights ones and get blinded by the high beams ones.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.