Regional Boards > Northwest

West Seattle Bridge and Spokane Viaduct

<< < (3/9) > >>

roadfro:

--- Quote from: jakeroot on June 08, 2020, 03:17:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: kkt on June 08, 2020, 02:40:40 PM ---I would think it would be wiser to find out why the current bridge failed prematurely before putting out bids for a new one, so they can tell what they need to specify in the replacement.

--- End quote ---

I would be incredibly surprised if any replacement was considered, voted on, designed, built, and opened without some extensive research done on why the prior bridge failed. People are already begging for answers.

--- End quote ---

Just a terminology note: When referring to a "bridge failure", that typically means that some portion of the bridge collapsed. That hasn't happened here, to my knowledge. But potentially some subsystem of the bridge's overall structure may have failed, causing the damage to the bridge that prompted the closure.

But yes, it would seem very prudent to figure out the cause of the structural issue prior to taking next steps on repair/replacement.

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: roadfro on June 09, 2020, 11:33:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: jakeroot on June 08, 2020, 03:17:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: kkt on June 08, 2020, 02:40:40 PM ---I would think it would be wiser to find out why the current bridge failed prematurely before putting out bids for a new one, so they can tell what they need to specify in the replacement.

--- End quote ---

I would be incredibly surprised if any replacement was considered, voted on, designed, built, and opened without some extensive research done on why the prior bridge failed. People are already begging for answers.

--- End quote ---

Just a terminology note: When referring to a "bridge failure", that typically means that some portion of the bridge collapsed. That hasn't happened here, to my knowledge. But potentially some subsystem of the bridge's overall structure may have failed, causing the damage to the bridge that prompted the closure.

But yes, it would seem very prudent to figure out the cause of the structural issue prior to taking next steps on repair/replacement.

--- End quote ---

Totally understood. I was just being casual with my terminology. But thank you, because I'm still learning all the terms.

kkt:
Oh, that was me... I did not know that "failed" only meant it fell down, not that it became unusable.

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: kkt on June 09, 2020, 09:56:14 PM ---Oh, that was me... I did not know that "failed" only meant it fell down, not that it became unusable.

--- End quote ---

I mean, it is rather interesting that the bridge, even if it doesn't fall over, cannot be considered as having "failed".

What's the term for a bridge that will fail but is taken down before it does? Because that seems to be the case with the West Seattle Bridge.

Alps:

--- Quote from: jakeroot on June 09, 2020, 10:15:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: kkt on June 09, 2020, 09:56:14 PM ---Oh, that was me... I did not know that "failed" only meant it fell down, not that it became unusable.

--- End quote ---

I mean, it is rather interesting that the bridge, even if it doesn't fall over, cannot be considered as having "failed".

What's the term for a bridge that will fail but is taken down before it does? Because that seems to be the case with the West Seattle Bridge.

--- End quote ---
Imminent failure, perhaps? Unstable?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version