News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest State Route You Haven't Been On.

Started by webny99, January 17, 2019, 09:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Because we have a thread for interstates, and a thread for US routes, so why not?

What is the longest state route you have never been on?
Firstly in your own state, and then in any other states you may have lived or traveled in.

Wow! I made it further down the list than I thought I would.
Thanks to catching a section of NY 22 last August (and the NY 365/NY 26 (#10) multiplex), I now have traveled all of the top ten.
And I have been on NY 7 and NY 104, as well, so the longest I haven't been on, at #13, is NY 32.

hotdogPi

MA: MA 116 (11th place)
NH: NH 25 (5th place)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Buck87

OH 46

76.6 miles long and 44th longest in Ohio

Flint1979

I was kind of thinking of the same thing yesterday but never got around to making a post about it, then I see you made this post.

For Michigan, the longest state highway I haven't been on would probably be M-26. It's only 96 miles long.
I'll do a few more states too that I've spent time in but can't be too sure on which highways I have traveled on and which one's I haven't. I know I've never been on M-26 though because I have none of those counties that it goes through clinched. It travels through Ontonagon, Houghton and Keweenaw counties.

For Ohio, I'm going to have to say it's the longest state highway in the state. I have never recalled traveling on SR-7. That highway basically follows the eastern border of the state from near Chesapeake (opposite side of the Ohio River from Huntington, WV) to Conneaut at the very northeastern corner of the state. It ends at SR-531 where SR-531 ends at SR-7 lol.

For Indiana, again the longest state highway in the state wins with SR-62. I love the way Indiana has their numbering system setup, exactly the same way the US highway system is setup. There are some exceptions though with diagonal routes and a few 3 digit highways that act like 2 digit highways.

For Illinois, SR-78. I've been on the longer ones. SR-110, 1 and 9.

dfilpus

oscar

In Virginia, VA 94 in southwestern Virginia (26.17 miles, 56th longest). This doesn't include state-maintained secondary routes.

I've covered everything in AK, HI, MD, DE, and DC. I don't feel like repeating this exercise for all the remaining 45 states, though my longest completely untraveled state route anywhere might be AR 9 (230.12 miles in two segments).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheHighwayMan3561

MN 92, 72.5 miles. I've crossed it though.

(For those who may fact check my TM, it shows MN 40 as being a longer unused one, but I have been on that route albeit not significantly enough to record)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

corco

I've driven every mile of state highway in my in state and several others, but I'm working to clinch CA and NV right now. In those states:

CA 49 (4th longest)
NV 278 (7th longest)

Mark68

CO: SH 71 (#2 at 224.65 miles)

It's a N/S highway out on the Eastern Plains, and I'm usually going east/west (or southwest) when I'm out that way.

Where I have lived:

CA (where I grew up): SR 299 (#3 at 305.78 miles)

E/W in NoCal, I grew up in SoCal, and I've only been on I-5 that far north.

OR (where I lived for two years):  SR 140 (#1 at 237.01 miles)

Yeah, I usually stayed close to Portland in those days (didn't have a car for much of that time)

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

DandyDan

For Iowa, IA 78 is it, although my experience with IA 10 consists only of driving its old overlap with IA 60 in Alton.

As for other states I lived in, I assume it's MN 1 for Minnesota, IL 9 for Illinois and NE 61 for Nebraska.

EDIT: I forgot IL 9 overlaps US 24 SW of Peoria and it also overlaps IL 47 in Gibson City, so it's IL 37.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

sbeaver44

PA 208 (27th longest in PA)

Longest in states I have been in has to be CA 1 at 659 mi.  Longest on the east coast is probably NY 3 at 245 mi.

Jim

Here in New York, it looks like New York 37's my winner.  It's the 18th-longest in the state, at around 125 miles.  I've passed by its northern/eastern end in Malone.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

pianocello

Iowa 9 (2nd longest). For the other states I've spent significant time in:

Illinois 16 (9th longest)
M-25 (7th longest)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Roadgeekteen

Either 10 or 116. For the nation, that multistate 200.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

Depends on how you count it -- UT 30 is my answer if you count the implied concurrencies on I-84/15 and US 89. I've never used a non-independent part of 30, but I've clinched both implied connections. If the connections don't count, my answer is UT 95.

30 is the longest state route in Utah (second-longest if the implied concurrencies don't count) and 95 is fourth-longest.

As for other states, my travels there tend to be focused on Interstates and US Highways, and if I pick up a random state route concurrency, great. I do try to make an effort to use freeway exits with route designations when I have to stop, though. But for the two other states where I have over 10% of mileage clinched:

Idaho: ID 75, the longest route. (Unless I went to Sun Valley as a baby, in which case it's ID 28, the 4th-longest.)
Colorado: CO 14, the longest -- I've crossed it at I-25 and passed the west end at US 40, but never turned onto it. The longest route I have used in CO is CO 141 in Grand Junction.

vdeane

For me, in NY it's NY 430, unless you count turning around at the diamond interchange off I-86 exit 10 as traveling on NY 430.  If you do, it's NY 34B.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jp the roadgeek

CT:  CT 39 at 22.76 miles.  I've seen both ends of it, but I've never driven on it.

Other states I've traveled through significant parts of:

MA: I've never driven on MA 28 (151.74 mi).  However, I've been a passenger on it, and I've driven part of NH 28.  So the true longest I've never been on any part of (including silent concurrencies) is MA 27 at 73.44 mi (crossed it on US 1)

RI: RI 114 at 45.7 mi.  Crossed it in several spots
VT: VT 14 at 108.946 miles
NH: NH 107 at 69.108 miles
ME: Would be ME 9 at 289.09 mi, but I've been on VT and NH 9.  For non MSR's, ME 6 at 207.23 mi
NY: NY 30 at 300.71 mi.  Crossed it on the Thruway and on US 20, but never drove on it
NJ: NJ 35 at 58.11 mi.  Crossed it on the parkway and US 1-9, but never drove on it.
PA: PA 18 at 209 mi (never been to western PA)
DE: DE 9 at 58.18 mi  Crossed it on DE 1, I-295, I-495, and I-95/US 202
MD: MD 5 at 74.34 mi.  Never been to southern MD

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Takumi

I'm pretty sure I've never been on VA 42, which I need to change. (The only longer state routes are VA 40, which I have driven about half of, and the unsigned VA 48, the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, which I have been on.) I may or may not have been on NC 24 in Charlotte once, I'm almost certain I've been on NC 87 before, and I definitely have been on NC 150, but I'm drawing a blank on other very long NC routes.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

States I've lived in

Kansas:  K-9, second longest in the state at 318 miles.

Illinois (ignoring IL-110 because that isn't a real highway and I haven't been in Illinois since it was commissioned):  IL-116, seventh longest in the state at 176 miles.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

CA 266 at 12 miles.  CA 266 is one of the few remaining state highways I've never driven at all.  I drove all of them in Arizona at least in some capacity.  I'd have to sit down and really think about Florida given the hundreds of State Roads, even some of the obscure ones can be somewhat lengthy.

formulanone

Alabama: 51 (25th longest)

Florida: 776 (98th longest)

I have a decent amount of mileage in the next two states, though I haven't lived there...

Mississippi: 57 (roughly 95 miles long, about 30th on the list)

Georgia: GA 540 (18th longest) - I haven't driven in Georgia since the Fall Line Freeway was dedicated in late-2018, so GA 122 is next down the list at 51st.

kphoger

Texas:  TX-6, second longest in the state at 476 miles.  I've crossed over it or under it on another highway plenty of times but never deviated onto it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Eth

States I've lived in

Georgia: GA 23, the 11th longest at 240 miles. Given its north-south routing through east and southeast Georgia from Augusta to the Jacksonville, FL area, it's very unlikely that I'd have reason to use it other than for the express purpose of doing so (this also applies to US 301, which it mostly follows).

Maryland: MD 313, the 2nd longest at 75.7 miles. My travels on the Eastern Shore were almost exclusively on US 50.

Other notable states (where I've covered at least 10% of available mileage according to Travel Mapping)

Florida: FL 15, the 8th longest at 324 miles. Not only the signed portion; I haven't been on any of the unsigned parts either.

Virginia: VA 40, the longest at 225 miles. It's long, but doesn't really connect any population centers. I've crossed it on US 29, I-85, and I-95.

Hawaii: HI 11, the longest at 122 miles. Not a very interesting finding since I haven't driven on any island other than Oahu. Limiting it to that island, the answer becomes HI 750, the island's 7th longest at about 8.2 miles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.