Regional Boards > Mountain West

Heber Valley Bypass

(1/3) > >>

US 89:
It looks like UDOT is finally getting around to talking about building a bypass of Heber City. I'm glad they're doing it -- there's significant traffic that has to slog through the downtown, where if you get lucky enough to make a light, you'll be pulled over for exceeding the somewhat ridiculous 35 mph speed limit.

UDOT recently had an open house regarding this proposed bypass, and the documents/slideshows from that are now online here. If they go with the current preferred alternative, it looks like US 189 is almost certainly getting a significant reroute out of Heber City. I wonder if US 40 will get the same treatment. I'm also curious whether UDOT will designate Business 40 and/or Business 189 along the old routes through town.

I'm not sure what to make of the proposed roundabout -- I had been hoping they'd consider this an extension of the US 40/189 freeway to the north, to provide a consistent 4-lane high speed corridor through to Provo. Unfortunately, that looks to be a "crash prone modern roundabout". In addition, I think the northern junction of the bypass and current US 40 should have been a flyover junction rather than a right-angle at-grade intersection, but whatever. It'll make it easier to get through Heber for sure.

Bobby5280:
I suspect the roundabout and standard at-grade intersection with US-40 are cost cutting measures for the interim. If UDOT acquires enough ROW along the bypass they might be able to make freeway-quality upgrades in the future.

froggie:
^ Their projected 2050 volumes don't exactly scream the need for a freeway-grade facility.

Rover_0:

--- Quote from: US 89 on February 23, 2019, 01:19:12 AM ---It looks like UDOT is finally getting around to talking about building a bypass of Heber City. I'm glad they're doing it -- there's significant traffic that has to slog through the downtown, where if you get lucky enough to make a light, you'll be pulled over for exceeding the somewhat ridiculous 35 mph speed limit.

UDOT recently had an open house regarding this proposed bypass, and the documents/slideshows from that are now online here. If they go with the current preferred alternative, it looks like US 189 is almost certainly getting a significant reroute out of Heber City. I wonder if US 40 will get the same treatment. I'm also curious whether UDOT will designate Business 40 and/or Business 189 along the old routes through town.

I'm not sure what to make of the proposed roundabout -- I had been hoping they'd consider this an extension of the US 40/189 freeway to the north, to provide a consistent 4-lane high speed corridor through to Provo. Unfortunately, that looks to be a "crash prone modern roundabout". In addition, I think the northern junction of the bypass and current US 40 should have been a flyover junction rather than a right-angle at-grade intersection, but whatever. It'll make it easier to get through Heber for sure.

--- End quote ---

My guess would be yes, but we also know what that would mean...wed also get a new state route. Id also expect Business US-40 and/or 189 and the state route to have inconsistent, alternating signage.

nexus73:
Given that truck traffic would love to avoid SLC as it heads for Vegas and SoCal, it would seem that best solution is a freeway bypass of Heber City. 

Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version