Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

71 Freeway Upgrade (Pomona) Likely to start in mid-2020

(1/3) > >>

don1991:
According to the MTA (Metro) Planning and Programming Committee report in November 2019:

"The State Route 71 (SR-71) Project Phase 1 has completed design and Caltrans is in the process of
acquiring the Rights-of-Way (ROW). Phase 1 will be ready to be advertised for construction in April
2020. Funding for construction must be programmed before Caltrans can advertise the Phase 1
project."

Phase I is probably more important:  This widens the current 4-lane roadway from Mission Blvd. south to California 60 to 8 lanes (6 MF + 2 HOV).  Note that this section is already effectively a freeway since the traffic signals were turned off (and since removed) a few years ago.  But this now builds it to full freeway standards.  Most houses have been purchased and have been torn down or are fenced off.  It looks like all of the ROW acquisition was on the western side of the 71.

Phase II would widen the substandard freeway section from I-10 to Mission Blvd. - from 4 lanes to 6+2 as well.  The very northern portion is already at standard but south of that, the old expressway was turned into freeway but never widened.

sparker:
^^^^^^^^^^^
And that will in all likelihood be the last freeway constructed in Los Angeles County (at least south of the San Gabriels) in most of our lifetimes.  Now -- whether the narrow section from CA 83 south to CA 91 (in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties) is ever expanded to a full freeway is yet TBD; its current chances are indeed slim. 

jakeroot:
Could you link to a few examples of demolition? I'm checking out Google Maps and I'm not seeing anything along either side of the 71. But the imagery could be out of data if it was recent.

Just southeast of the 10/57 interchange, that crossing over the railway looks pretty narrow; is widening that part of phase 2?

Also, learned a new term today: "MF", meaning "mixed flow". WSDOT prefers "GP", or "general purpose".

djsekani:
As much as people like to bring up induced demand, this is a project that definitely needed to happen; CA-71 was effectively a choke point between I-10 and CA-60.

The interesting part is that the ROW acquisition was mostly on the west side, which is where the relatively more expensive homes are. I guess those RIRO intersections (nearly useless in heavy traffic anyway) will be gone as well.

dbz77:

--- Quote from: djsekani on January 21, 2020, 07:54:04 PM ---As much as people like to bring up induced demand, this is a project that definitely needed to happen; CA-71 was effectively a choke point between I-10 and CA-60.

The interesting part is that the ROW acquisition was mostly on the west side, which is where the relatively more expensive homes are. I guess those RIRO intersections (nearly useless in heavy traffic anyway) will be gone as well.

--- End quote ---
I was fortunate to have been able to drive through the intersection with Miasion when there was a stoplight there.

I am.wondering this though.

This route had been intended to be a feeway since 1950. I wonder why it took nearly sixty years to build the Miasion Bl interchange.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version